Breaking News: Virginia Beach bicyclist hit by car

Full story: WTKR 12
Virginia Beach Police responded to a call at 6:42 p.m. on Tuesday that a bicyclist was hit by a car. Full Story
Jen

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 Aug 3, 2010
I work at the Blimpies at the intersection. Then I heard from a customer that someone was hit by a car. I do hope that the person that was hit makes it.
Sand Flea

Norfolk, VA

#2 Aug 3, 2010
This happens too often to be considered news. In fact, it's become quite common in Virginia Beach.
tgina74

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Aug 3, 2010
Yes, it does happen too often. We have numerous roads here in Virginia Beach with speed limits of 50 or 55 mph (ex. Dam Neck Road) where the city has built a bike paths, and you will still see idiots riding their bike on the road instead of the bike path.
Sand Flea

Norfolk, VA

#4 Aug 3, 2010
tgina74 wrote:
Yes, it does happen too often. We have numerous roads here in Virginia Beach with speed limits of 50 or 55 mph (ex. Dam Neck Road) where the city has built a bike paths, and you will still see idiots riding their bike on the road instead of the bike path.
Here on the oceanfront, where I'm at, kids deliberately ride at nite in black clothing with no reflectors or lights at nite. I saw a bit of grafitti spray painted two days ago on the bike trail in two foot letters, saying something like "Yea, I ride on the bridge with dark clothes and no reflectors. So what?". It's an act of defiance. The cops really should enforce these simple bike rules.
rattler

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Aug 3, 2010
ever been at an intersection, your 4-5-6 in line and the light turns green so here we go. Most of the ones in front of me are on the phone/eating/etc. when I get to the light, It turns YELLOW(CAUTION) so I stop, this makes the person behind me BLOWS/CUSSES/HITS me. My 10yo explorer can take it. Why do think getting where you "NEED" to be will be better 2mins sooner? Blast by a stop sign or a light and it may be life changing or ending. Some feel they are "bullit proof". 12yos know more than I did, except when to run/leave trouble. Bikers are in real danger on the roads. walk accros an intersection.
Spike

Chesapeake, VA

#6 Aug 4, 2010
I hope the person that was hit is OK, but I agree with y'all. Bicyclist need to know 1) ride WITH traffic (walk against). 2) Follow the same rule that cars do 3) right or wrong, the law of gross tonage always applies and the car wins. I was going to Sandbridge a couple of weeks ago and there were bikes all over the place, with their funny helmets and cute little suits (sarcasm), and there's no room on the road down there, just an accident waiting to happen.
Free American

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Aug 4, 2010
I don't know the particulars of this 'accident' but too often I've seen bike riders sail through red lights, NOT walk their bikes across an intersection, ride in the traffic lane, not wear light colored/reflecting clothing, not have lights/reflectors on their bikes.
A few years ago a friend of mine was pulling out of a parking lot at night. After making sure no one was coming from the left, he pulled out to the right. A bicyclist was in front of him, going AGAINST traffic, dark clothing on, no lights, no refectors. He wound up with a fractured leg, cracked ribs, abrasions, destroyed bike. My friend was sued for $250,000 plus medical bills. When the case got to court, the judge asked the man the right questions. The answers? No lights, no reflectors, no light/reflective clothing, riding AGAINST traffic at night. The judge threw the case out of court.
A bike against a car...guess who loses.
Hope the cyclist makes it and has learned something.
mad1

Onancock, VA

#8 Aug 4, 2010
why is this news worthy ? just asking...
NRWoman57

Herten, Germany

#9 Aug 4, 2010
Like it says - the accident is still under investigation, but already the mood seems to be all against the "bad" bicyclist. There are way more inconsiderate and non attentive drivers than bike riders around. Naturally a bike rider should protect himself and obey the traffic rules, just like car drivers. How about sharing the road! Lest we forget: Riding a bike is a responsible alternative form of transportation unlike driving a gas guzzling humongous SUV that seats 7, but only has the driver inside (worst case: eating or texting). I come home on vacation to VaBch from my job in Holland about once a year and over the last ten years the amount of monster vehicles on the road here seems to be out of control. More Bikes - less oil - less oil spills - cleaner air - novel idea,eh?!
Lee

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Aug 4, 2010
NRWoman57 wrote:
Like it says - the accident is still under investigation, but already the mood seems to be all against the "bad" bicyclist. There are way more inconsiderate and non attentive drivers than bike riders around. Naturally a bike rider should protect himself and obey the traffic rules, just like car drivers. How about sharing the road! Lest we forget: Riding a bike is a responsible alternative form of transportation unlike driving a gas guzzling humongous SUV that seats 7, but only has the driver inside (worst case: eating or texting). I come home on vacation to VaBch from my job in Holland about once a year and over the last ten years the amount of monster vehicles on the road here seems to be out of control. More Bikes - less oil - less oil spills - cleaner air - novel idea,eh?!
<> Not really. I mean yeah...if you live in Utopia but so far no existence of it has been found.
Ana

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Aug 5, 2010
Obviously, we don't know the particulars of how this accident happened, but sadly, I have to say, it seems the majority of the types of accidents happen because of the bicyclists and their ignorance of the laws of the road and/or the unwillingness to abide by them. I've seen so many near-accidents because of some really boneheaded actions on the part of the bicyclist and they are extremely lucky the driver of the car that nearly flattened them was the one paying attention. Regardless, whenever there are cars and bikes sharing the road, everyone has to be on their game and vigilant about safety.
Gail

AOL

#12 Aug 9, 2010
Does anyone have any information on how the man is doing? I saw the accident and have been thinking about him and his family hoping he is going to be okay.

Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 50,424
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,173,427
Why arn't there more blacks in VB ? 8 hr Ron White 16
Dominion Virginia rate increase approved (Jun '08) Tue Jimmy Lee 21
2015, Hampton has a huge influx of motorcycles,... Tue Jimmy Lee 4
How can I get robotic Topic luke, " Barack Obam... Tue Jimmy Lee 4
Review: Greenbrier International Inc (Mar '13) Tue Liz 22
Virginia Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Virginia Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance