Tattoos from unlicensed artists: Illegal and dangerous

Full story: WTKR 20
If you've ever gotten a tattoo, you know good work can be expensive. But now a growing number of tattoo artists are offering deep discounts for work done at home. Full Story
John

Satellite Provider

#1 Jan 2, 2010
That's great you are trying to keep people safe from dirty and unhealthy places but remember people take the risk on there own. I am just bothered because you make all unlicensed artist sound like dirty no good hustler's. I know plenty of professional licensed artist that are grimy and mix there old ink with the new and don't clean their equipment, it's the person not the surrounding. I am unlicensed artist and have bean tattooing for years now with no complications. I love my craft and customers and I don't plan on getting licensed unless I open my own place. I don't expect you to understand the true nature of tattoos and there significance and nothing you see on television gives it justice trust me. I tattoo my friends here in Iraq, I am a deployed soldier and I do it for free at times. Tell people to go to upcoming artists that they know or friends know, that's how we learn. That's the problem with everything going mainstream anyways, something that once was a hidden beauty with dark shadows and true meaning is just another fad for idiots on both the giving and receiving end.
WTF

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Jan 4, 2010
Anyone stupid enough to get a tattoo deserves no protection from anything. Let's not do an end run on survival of the fittest.
Taylor Swift

United States

#3 Jan 6, 2010
You get what you pay for dummies. Discount price for discount skill.
KaireeAne

San Diego, CA

#4 Jan 19, 2010
John - I don't understand.. why not get a license? There is a reason tattooing is regulated. Professional or not, unless done in a sterile environment can be extremely dangerous. I have several tattoos, one which was done by a self-proclaimed artist such as yourself who was unlicensed. I've learned my lesson the hard way. I would never encourage someone to go to an artist that didn't care about the local laws and regulations. Saving money isn't something you should be concerned about if it's going on your body for life. Spend the money for real artwork; don't worry about getting a deal.
snickerdoodle

Greensboro, NC

#5 Jan 31, 2010
Ok...i think on this that there should not be a law that requires tattoo artist to have to have a license. There are plenty of good artist out there that do not have a license and there is nothing wrong with that. Just be careful of who it is. Like i said there are good ones but then again you have the ones that dont care about you just your money. As long as they are clean and keep their equipment clean and sanitized then i see nothing wrong with it. But everyone does have their own opion. I have 4 tattoos and never once went to a shop to get one. I will admit that i have one screwed up one but that was because of my own choice of who did it. I think that once you find a good artist and you like their work then stick with them whether they are licensed or not. Their is nothing wrong with it. I know what the laws say but there are tattoo artist out there that do great work but does not have the money or the time to get their license. As you can see i feel strongly on this subject and i do not care what any one else thinks about what i say. i know what i like and i am sure that there are others out there that like their "at home artist" just as good as the ones that like the shops.
snickerdoodle

Greensboro, NC

#6 Jan 31, 2010
i think that what you are doing is a good thing to do. I think that it should not matter if u are licened or not. I know for a fact that there are great artist out there that do not have a license. And i also think that it is great that you are searving our country. keep doing what you love and dont worry about what other people say.
Rhonda

United States

#7 Mar 19, 2010
DC Ink. is an illegal tattoo parlor is Suffolk,Va
this has been reported to the Suffolk Police and The Health Department. Maybe that is where they all get their tattoos.I bet when someone gets hepatitus or dies from this,then they will investigate.

“The enemy is in our camp.”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#8 Mar 24, 2010
Paintings should hang on walls, not your body.
concerned walmart assoc

Gloucester, VA

#9 Mar 27, 2010
I am a female and I have tattoos and its the artist not where you get it done at bottom line.
Doooooce

Chesapeake, VA

#10 Mar 27, 2010
Legal or illegal, tattoos make people look like ignorant, dirty scumbags
Doooooce

Chesapeake, VA

#11 Mar 27, 2010
...And anyone who gets a tattoo DESERVES to get an infection
That 70s Show

Hampton, VA

#12 Mar 27, 2010
KaireeAne wrote:
John - I don't understand.. why not get a license? There is a reason tattooing is regulated. Professional or not, unless done in a sterile environment can be extremely dangerous. I have several tattoos, one which was done by a self-proclaimed artist such as yourself who was unlicensed. I've learned my lesson the hard way. I would never encourage someone to go to an artist that didn't care about the local laws and regulations. Saving money isn't something you should be concerned about if it's going on your body for life. Spend the money for real artwork; don't worry about getting a deal.
I'm not trying to speak for John, but, I have been an artist all of my life. Aside from traditional mediums of paint, clay and such, I've designed custom tattoo "art" for so-called tattoo artists that simply did needle work, or owned a cheap Spaulding tattoo gun and played at it. As an artist, I never really cared much about the money. But, after seeing needle artists that use dirty needles and questionable ink (often while drinking) to trace my work onto somebody's skin, I believe that the need for a business license and health permit is the way to go. I've seen tattoos turn to blood poisoning and skin infections a number of times due to dirty equipment. I personally have tat's that date back to the early 70's that were done by stoners with India ink and a sewing needle; tattoos are for life and should be done by a pro. Today there is just too many kinds of infection and disease to to take a chance. If you really consider it to be body art, why let an amature run the risk of scarring you for life?
MissyLynnnnn

Altoona, PA

#13 Sep 30, 2010
Doooooce wrote:
As a person with 16 tattoos I can tell you that I am far from an ignorant, dirty scumbag as you put it. I am a very successful single mother who has a college degree in Criminal Justice and is currently working in a prison while pursuing a higher degree to become a Parole/Probation officer. I think you should probably get to know someone before you pass judgements on them.
Mommy1

New Berlin, WI

#15 May 8, 2012
Doooooce wrote:
Ok seriously?! My husband & I BOTH have extensive tattoo-work...& we're not dirty scumbags. Actually we have 4 beautiful children, he works 2 jobs & I work one job & go to school for social work. I have an associates degree in sign language and I work in a group home for mentally ill adults. Where in there are we scumbags? That comment makes you a dirty scumbag.
roz

United States

#16 Jul 10, 2012
Dooooce, who are you??? Why are you in a tattoo discussion. Intolerance is the real maker of scumbags
Creepy Tattoo artists

United States

#17 Oct 17, 2012
Theres a new place that opened in Rio Rancho NM , Morning Star Tattoo , on 36pl in the same building as Turtle Mountain Brewery . Used to be under Livit Ink Tattoo . Had to move because he skipped rent at the last place. He will try to make a pass at you during your session and right in front of your significant other too. He will claim he has a girl he loves but they are in an "open relationship" sure you are! He will offer to send sexy pics lol. But only if you send some too. Don't be surprised if you find your so called regional tattoo on the web months later.
He has angry husbands and boyfriends coming by often to kick his ass. Want in on this action you have to catch him first.
He will also spread rumors about on twitter that he slept with you.just because he didn't get his way.
He doesn't even have a tattooing license!

Since: Oct 12

United States

#19 Oct 20, 2012
Sorry I meant to say original tattoo.
Shamika

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Oct 21, 2012
i gots all my babys names tatooed on my neck an i got it done down the street at some guys apatment. my 14 years old she want get one her neck now to. shoud l let her git it? my mama she seys no but all my sistas they all say yeas. sometime it hard makin a parentil decisons. ill ask my perole offcer and se what she say. shes prety smart
anonymous

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Feb 28, 2013
Creepy Tattoo artists wrote:
Theres a new place that opened in Rio Rancho NM , Morning Star Tattoo , on 36pl in the same building as Turtle Mountain Brewery . Used to be under Livit Ink Tattoo . Had to move because he skipped rent at the last place. He will try to make a pass at you during your session and right in front of your significant other too. He will claim he has a girl he loves but they are in an "open relationship" sure you are! He will offer to send sexy pics lol. But only if you send some too. Don't be surprised if you find your so called regional tattoo on the web months later.
He has angry husbands and boyfriends coming by often to kick his ass. Want in on this action you have to catch him first.
He will also spread rumors about on twitter that he slept with you.just because he didn't get his way.
He doesn't even have a tattooing license!
I know the shop owners and yes while one has not been tattooing that long the other has a great reputation, so maybe you only have yourself to blame. You should have checked portfolios and looked into other artists. You can't put the whole shop under that umbrella.
kenneth

Statesville, NC

#22 Mar 16, 2013
Taylor Swift wrote:
You get what you pay for dummies. Discount price for discount skill.
I do tattoos my self and just becouse you dont have a license. Dont mean some one dont have skills I've got over a houndred tats done them all my self and have done plinty of them on others want to see some work let me no I will post so from an unlicend person with good skills

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min LOL 1,144,093
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 48,586
NO CANADA OIL to TX-OK! Tue NO CANADA OIL TO ... 1
Local band Tue Hoodie 1
Va. town haunted by cougar sightings out to pro... (Sep '08) Nov 24 bulk 2
at Phoebus high 4 yrs, no football title,lost 35-0 Nov 22 Murugan 2
disability vs. welfare (Nov '07) Nov 22 Murugan 38
Virginia Beach Dating
Find my Match

Virginia Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Virginia Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Virginia Beach

Personal Finance