City Managers: Is Jim Spore worth $22...

City Managers: Is Jim Spore worth $220,000 a year?

There are 48 comments on the WTKR story from Nov 10, 2009, titled City Managers: Is Jim Spore worth $220,000 a year?. In it, WTKR reports that:

By most standards $220,000 a year is a lot of money, especially when it's coming from tax-payers and all going to one person Jim Spore will tell you you get what you pay for.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTKR.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hillary

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 Nov 10, 2009
Isn't it a little odd that these city managers are getting paid more than the Secretary of Defense, any member of Congress and even the President! Poor money management like this by the City of Virginia Beach needs to be addressed and changes made!
Proud city employee

Chesapeake, VA

#2 Nov 10, 2009
Having worked under city managers back to Hanbury's days, I wholeheartedly think Spore is well-respected, well-liked, honest and a heck of a city manager. He keeps his employees up-to-date on issues, seeks their opinions, holds sessions where we can ask questions, and keeps us abreast of all current issues. In addition, he has a city forum up for employees questions/concerns. All of us at the city are rightfully concerned for our jobs, the economy and what's best for the city in the long-term. All of us want to keep our jobs, and be proud of what we do for citizens. And, all of us want to believe in our current leadership.
What wasn't mentioned here was Spore shortening the time span of his contract. He's gone from a 5 year contract down to a 2 year contract--at HIS request.
I think we ought to take a second look at DeSteph--he seems like a thorn wanting to examine every little city perk, demanding city documents, and talking about what other governments do. He probably wastes a lot of employee time having documents prepared for his demanding questions.
I do think the contract has been signed and is a moot point, but it would be nice if Spore paid for his own health care. However, he's an excellent manager
discouraged

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Nov 10, 2009
Hillary wrote:
Isn't it a little odd that these city managers are getting paid more than the Secretary of Defense, any member of Congress and even the President! Poor money management like this by the City of Virginia Beach needs to be addressed and changes made!
I agree, I found him to be abrupt, almost like he was above the person asking him all the relevant questions, as if Virginia Beach owes him the favor of his employment. He never really gave straight answers. What about all his high salaried direct staff? City Council must ask for a independent audit of how many are in management positions, direct responsibilities, and salaries in all of the City of Virginia? Too top heavy. Too many chiefs! Why is it again that he is not paying for his medical insurance? And car allowance? Much like Washington, out of touch!
Donna

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Nov 10, 2009
Mr. Spore is an arrogant pompous you know what. A CEO of any corporation does not ask his employees to do something he is not willing to do himself. He should be the first to take a pay cut, beginning with his car allowance. Anyone who makes $220K a year, should be able to buy his own car. If he thinks he could make more elsewhere, don't let the door hit him in the butt on the way out. He's welcome to leave at any time...he has definitely overstayed his 'welcome.'
Jim Oliver

Hampton, VA

#5 Nov 10, 2009
Jim Spore is an incredible talent. Prior to his arrival in Virginia Beah, City Council was uncertain of its direction and the direction of the city was confusing. There was no strategic plan or vision. He has done a wonderful job of assisting the Council in its focus. Despite the political differences of each Council member, and there have been many through the years, the Beach has steadily addressed strategic issue after issue in a deliberate and consistent way. Today the City is highly regarded for its professional and political leadership.
He is CEO of a highly complex organization that oversees public services 24/7. Those services range broadly from health care to public safety to public services. His salary is aligned with the Virginia and national markets of public managers appropriately.
References to the Defense Secretary's salary are simply not relevant. For example, Mr. Spore's salary pales compared to local public university presidents or non-profit health system CEOs but they are not relevant either.
Again, the accepted standard within his profession is the ICMA annual compensation survey and his salary is well within salaries for cities of Virginia Beach's size.
More importantly, Jim Spore is a superb city manager.
BUNNY

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Nov 10, 2009
It seems to me that ALL the cities need to do a double check on the salaries that are being paid. Remember someone has to used some sort of judgement from time to time but this is really SAD....
NO NAME

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Nov 10, 2009
Of course he is not worth that much moncy! I don't believe anyone is worth that much money except firefighters and police because they put their lives on the line every time they step out of the stations. When you see all the people out of work and people that are barely making it with not even 30,000.00 a year how can you jusitify that much money for a city manager?
CITY WORKER

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Nov 10, 2009
He makes more than the Governor of Virginia and you believe that is irrelevant, how sad"
Jim Oliver wrote:
Jim Spore is an incredible talent. Prior to his arrival in Virginia Beah, City Council was uncertain of its direction and the direction of the city was confusing. There was no strategic plan or vision. He has done a wonderful job of assisting the Council in its focus. Despite the political differences of each Council member, and there have been many through the years, the Beach has steadily addressed strategic issue after issue in a deliberate and consistent way. Today the City is highly regarded for its professional and political leadership.
He is CEO of a highly complex organization that oversees public services 24/7. Those services range broadly from health care to public safety to public services. His salary is aligned with the Virginia and national markets of public managers appropriately.
References to the Defense Secretary's salary are simply not relevant. For example, Mr. Spore's salary pales compared to local public university presidents or non-profit health system CEOs but they are not relevant either.
Again, the accepted standard within his profession is the ICMA annual compensation survey and his salary is well within salaries for cities of Virginia Beach's size.
More importantly, Jim Spore is a superb city manager.
MMo

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Nov 10, 2009
Should ask Mr.Spore let the tax payer see were you took a pay cut.
Disgruntled

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Nov 10, 2009
All you "supporters" from Hampton and Chesapeake, who don't have to pay the high taxes, need to rethink your praise. Spore is a greedy oaf who has his own agenda and refuses to follow City Council's direction on virtually everything. The City of Virginia Beach is self insured and had a 38 million dollar surplus last year, a 50 million dollar surplus the year before and pays it's City Manager $220k a year plus and gives him $450k worth of assistants...if he starts furloughs, lay offs or taking vacation days away from its employees he is going to be in serious danger. We haven't had pay raises in three years and prior to that it was three or more years of a 1.5% raise which didn't cover the cost of the health insurance raise, gasoline prices, or anything else. Every day I work here is like Spore is personally spitting in my face. Yes, I am looking for another job...
a little perspective

United States

#11 Nov 10, 2009
Disgruntled wrote:
All you "supporters" from Hampton and Chesapeake, who don't have to pay the high taxes, need to rethink your praise. Spore is a greedy oaf who has his own agenda and refuses to follow City Council's direction on virtually everything. The City of Virginia Beach is self insured and had a 38 million dollar surplus last year, a 50 million dollar surplus the year before and pays it's City Manager $220k a year plus and gives him $450k worth of assistants...if he starts furloughs, lay offs or taking vacation days away from its employees he is going to be in serious danger. We haven't had pay raises in three years and prior to that it was three or more years of a 1.5% raise which didn't cover the cost of the health insurance raise, gasoline prices, or anything else. Every day I work here is like Spore is personally spitting in my face. Yes, I am looking for another job...
Please do, I don't want you to have anything to do with the operation of my hometown's government. And for the record we have the lowest taxes in the region. Also if you think Jim Spore is a 'greedy oaf' you obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Tiltawhirl

Norfolk, VA

#12 Nov 10, 2009
Well I'm one of those that makes about $35,000 a year so yeah I'd say that is quite a bit of money that man is making with FREE healthcare and a CAR allowance! WTH? I wish I could afford a new car or to be able to put my son on my healthcare plan, but of course not.. I get stuck with a $500 used car and FAMIS for my son.. I think he is grossly overpaid!!!!!!!!!!
josie

Chesapeake, VA

#13 Nov 10, 2009
Jim Spore says he is worth $220,000 a year. You get what you pay for. What about our teachers, our police, our firefighters and rescue workers. Are they not worth more? They all work from paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet. We need a new city manager.
Disgruntled

Virginia Beach, VA

#14 Nov 10, 2009
a little perspective wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do, I don't want you to have anything to do with the operation of my hometown's government. And for the record we have the lowest taxes in the region. Also if you think Jim Spore is a 'greedy oaf' you obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Oh, Hi Jim...nice to see you reading the comments on your story.
CITY WORKER

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 Nov 10, 2009
I make $25,000 a year, try living off a net income of $1600 a month and see your morale go up.
city employee

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Nov 10, 2009
When I recieved his email about the survey he did I laughed. To think he cares about our opinion is amazing. He has never once given any thought to opinons made by the city employee. As for me I've been looking for a new job for a while now and as soon as one comes up I'm gone. There is talk of plans to scrap another police academy as they are thinking about not doing another for 2010. If that makes you feel a little unsafe knowing that the police are already down about 80 officers please feel free to do nothing. If you dont like that feeling write your city council member and ask them for more police and fire.
CITY WORKER

Virginia Beach, VA

#17 Nov 10, 2009
Me too, I thought it was a joke. Maybe we should get back to work-huh? LOL. You too disgruntled.... j/k
city employee wrote:
When I recieved his email about the survey he did I laughed. To think he cares about our opinion is amazing. He has never once given any thought to opinons made by the city employee. As for me I've been looking for a new job for a while now and as soon as one comes up I'm gone. There is talk of plans to scrap another police academy as they are thinking about not doing another for 2010. If that makes you feel a little unsafe knowing that the police are already down about 80 officers please feel free to do nothing. If you dont like that feeling write your city council member and ask them for more police and fire.
a little perspective

United States

#18 Nov 10, 2009
Disgruntled wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Hi Jim...nice to see you reading the comments on your story.
Nope I'm not Jim Spore, I'm sure he's busy working hard and earning his salary (what about you?). I'm just someone that does happen to know him personally and who also couldn't abide the ignorant garbage being spewed on this site about him.
City Employee

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Nov 10, 2009
To a little perspective= I understand where your coming from. However, Mr. Spore is not leading by example by accepting a raise when he is already wealthy and telling the working class poor (ME) you're not important enough to get a raise. If you have a heart you should understand that alot of us are upset because we can't pay bills, can't pay rent, I can't even afford to buy a pair of new shoes, ok!. Since you know him "personally" I would appreciate you sharing this with him. Thank you and have a nice day.
Kempsville resident

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Nov 10, 2009
Well if you really knew him, you would definitely be upset at his arrogance and pompous xxx. He has so overstayed his 'welcome;' he needs to go and not let those doors at city hall hit him in the buttocks on the way out. Our police and fire departments are down in numbers and morale, and he thinks he is worth what he gets paid? Here's an idea - get rid of him and hire more police and firefighters. I think our city needs them more than him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min VetnorsGate 1,581,879
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 hr Agents of Corruption 63,946
News Lawsuit accuses Advance Auto Parts of racial di... (Sep '08) Sat USS LIBERTY 55
Virginia Beach Little League Jevin Sues Charity... Aug 18 IntheNewsAgain 1
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Aug 17 Newport News girl 2,381
Luke Hopwood Aug 14 VBNative 3
Look out for bad roommate Aug 12 Jesus 1

Virginia Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Virginia Beach Mortgages