Wreck at Shelby Valley High School

Wreck at Shelby Valley High School

Posted in the Virgie Forum

worried

Pikeville, KY

#1 Mar 16, 2010
The green jeep belonged to one of the Shelby Valley High School football players. It was totally caved in on the passenger side. Does anyone know if there was more than one in that jeep? Heaven help them because it didn't look good to me. They need a light there at the school before more lives are taken.
I think

Richmond, KY

#2 Mar 16, 2010
A red light? They have a stop sign and they blow past it.It is driver inattention.Not looking,in a hurry,not thinking they can be hurt or killed by making sure the road is clear.How many would run the red light and run over someone coming out of Shelby Valley.I think a red light might see as many or more accidents there.
I think

Richmond, KY

#3 Mar 16, 2010
Lower speed limit one half mile above and below that area and strickly enforced for a while would most likely solve the problem.People die because them or someone else is in such a big hurry to get somewhere fast for no reason.
Craig Hamilton

Booneville, KY

#4 Mar 16, 2010
Thanks for your concern and comments everyone...A friend told me there was a comment on here about the wreck...It was my son Dustin in the Jeep. To make a long story short he was on his way to school and got hit while turning off to go to school...Thank God Christian wasn't in with him as his best friend stayed all night with us last night and he was riding with him...If he'd been in the Jeep he wouldn't have had a chance...I believe God knows much more than us dumb old country boys and He had a plan in place...We are truly blessed...The guy that hit into Dustin is a wonderful guy and is going to be fine and the girl that was pulling out that was hit is a good friend and actually member of my ex-wife's family. She's in some pain and everyone who would please remember her in your prayers... Now as for the red light....If there was a red light there and a caution light above the dollar store there wouldn't be any reason for a wreck other than someone who was distracted or impaired and would probably cause an accident either way. Another option would be to start using the entrance at the football field which gives much more response time but would cut into the school's property...The state says they did a study but haven't let anyone see it and they say it shows there is no way to put a light there...My opinion is if some of us parents and concerned citizens don't step up to the plate we're going to lose kids and neighbors there....Just after Dustin's wreck there was another bad one there and the guy is in bad shape if he is even still living...please remember him too...I for one plan to start actively trying to get a light system in place there as whether it's my child or yours, they deserve a better shot to see an adult age than what they've got at the moment...I'd appreciate anyone who agrees to call the state highway dept and to my understanding Kevin Damron is over the study so he'd probably be the one to talk too...Maybe if enough people call they will do something....If not at least we will know we did what we could... Thanks again for your comments and concerns....He's getting pretty sore and got his mouth and nose busted up a bit but he'll be just fine soon as the ego heals...lol Again...We are soooo truly blessed!!!
Craig Hamilton

Booneville, KY

#5 Mar 16, 2010
OH, also for I Think...you are soo right about not paying attention and running the signs as I see it all the time...This accident was from the 4-lane though instead of someone pulling out, they were pulling in....A light would have certainly kept this accident from happening and probably the other one inadvertantly...I know there's no cure-all but honestly I'd guarantee 80% of the wrecks there would not happen if a light were installed and there was a no-turn on red rule in place...of course with enforcement being in place too. I'd personally like to see the cameras put in and laser in the air like VA and TN have in place...They would make enough on tickets to pay for it in the first month...lol just a thought...
worried

Pikeville, KY

#6 Mar 16, 2010
I'm just so happy that no one was killed. I cried like a baby when I saw that jeep this morning. My son plays football and those boys feel like my own..so glad no one was hurt. I say to obey the speed limit and watch out for yourself and others.
Thanks Craig.
worried

Pikeville, KY

#7 Mar 16, 2010
I know Kevin Damron and I shall ask about the redlight, it's much needed.
Speeding

Richmond, KY

#8 Mar 16, 2010
I think wrote:
Lower speed limit one half mile above and below that area and strickly enforced for a while would most likely solve the problem.People die because them or someone else is in such a big hurry to get somewhere fast for no reason.
Lets just thank God everyones okay and come together and try to get some lights installed at Shelby Valley.
OMG

Chesterfield, MO

#9 Mar 16, 2010
worried wrote:
The green jeep belonged to one of the Shelby Valley High School football players. It was totally caved in on the passenger side. Does anyone know if there was more than one in that jeep? Heaven help them because it didn't look good to me. They need a light there at the school before more lives are taken.
Contact your State Rep and Congressman regarding the red light. That place is very dangerous and desperately needs a light.
concerned

Gwynneville, IN

#10 Mar 16, 2010
does anyone know where kaita addington is or her dad jamie addington from virgie are. her grandmother is floella johnson if anyone knows please let me know am very concerned and worried about them kaita's mother is brandi johnson does anyone know where she is or knows her please let me know thanks alot for any info.
step mom

Neon, KY

#11 Mar 17, 2010
kaita is fine doing good for jamie he is on robinson creek
COUSIN OF STEP MOM

Gwynneville, IN

#12 Mar 17, 2010
Hey Step Mom, this is your cousin on Indian Creek..I've been worried about you all, too. Saw that you moved and hadn't heard from you in a while. Please call me!!!!
step mom

Neon, KY

#13 Mar 17, 2010
hey im married to jamie but they moved beside her mamaw on robinson creek
COUSIN OF STARR

Gwynneville, IN

#14 Mar 17, 2010
Oh, OK, thanks. I'm confused though. Is he not still with Starr??? Like I said, I've not talked to her in a while and noticed they moved...Are you married to him now???? Or are you the one he was with before him and Starr got together. Seriously, I'm not trying to cause any trouble, I'm just freaking out cause they moved out of the house on Indian Creek really fast and I didn't know what was going on!!! Could you please clear all of this up for me??? Thanks....
Concerned Citizen

Ransom, KY

#15 Mar 18, 2010
My grandfather (johnnie roberts) was killed when I was a sophmore in high school at Shelby Valley High entrance and several other have been severely injured or killed since. I was traumatized when this happened because as I was on my way to school the morning of the accident my grandfather was lying in the middle of the rd. almost lifeless, he died on the way to the hospital. I have always said there needs to be a red light there in the worst way but they decided to construct one at Penny Rd. instead. I just don't understand why there and not Shelby Valley. We really need to start a petition or something about this before many of our own loose their own lives. My heart goes out to all the families that have either had a family member wreck or loose their life. Also, the lady that was hurt in this accident is my aunt.
step mom

Neon, KY

#16 Mar 20, 2010
she is still with jamie im just married to him but they did move to robinson creek beside her mamaw i guess i need a divorce but just have not went and filed for it yet but i dont know what is up with him but he is strange we have a child together he never wants to see him but if there anything else u need to know or want to ask feel free to i think they still have the same phone number
so sorry

United States

#17 Mar 20, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
My grandfather (johnnie roberts) was killed when I was a sophmore in high school at Shelby Valley High entrance and several other have been severely injured or killed since. I was traumatized when this happened because as I was on my way to school the morning of the accident my grandfather was lying in the middle of the rd. almost lifeless, he died on the way to the hospital. I have always said there needs to be a red light there in the worst way but they decided to construct one at Penny Rd. instead. I just don't understand why there and not Shelby Valley. We really need to start a petition or something about this before many of our own loose their own lives. My heart goes out to all the families that have either had a family member wreck or loose their life. Also, the lady that was hurt in this accident is my aunt.
when i read this.your granfather came to my mind.i did not know him,but i also was a student at valley when this happened.i can remember it as of yesterday.so sorry for your loss.
worried grandmother

Pikeville, KY

#18 Mar 21, 2010
in less than two years my precious granddaughter will have her licenses and will be driveing .that is just one of the things the young kids have too look forward to in their young lives.and i think that it is a shame that the state and county doesnt care more about the childrens welfare .they can get anything done they wont too .if it was one of the state workers out here blown away causeing wrecks and nearly takeing peoples life .you never hear it mentioned again .and i know for a fact that happened several times if they would stop supporting things like that and put the concern on the school kids they could have one up in a week .i listen all the time for it to be a school bus .and it will happen and when a whole load of our kids are killed or injured bad then it will be too late .bless the children and bless their parents that we are all ready to have something doe .
Craig Hamilton

Booneville, KY

#19 Apr 1, 2010
well guys,
I've called and left messages for Kevin Damron to call me back and he hasn't had the courtesy as-of yet to do so...I'm going to call one more time and then I'll be contacting Frankfort as well as WSAZ and WYMT. I've documented the people I left messages with, the times, and any other pertinent data I need to do so...I hate to cause trouble and would love to see this settled in a decent way but apparently our Pikeville office doesn't care a lot. I will attempt one last time Monday to contact Kevin and will give him 48 hours from that time to call back. Not trying to be mean but I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt...just call me back...They said it wasn't feasable as the knoll would be dangerous to come over to find a red light and have to stop suddenly but anywhere else in the US you go has them and they work well with a warning light to tell people the light will be red when they get up there...doesn't take rocket science...Another option that Forrest Dale came up with is to put an Ess curve in to make the entrance down toward the knoll where there is a much better response time....I'd be satisfied with either...We don't want any more people to die...Please call yourselves and call Frankfort too...
Thanks again for your concern for Dustin...
Craig
call frankfort

Richmond, KY

#20 Apr 1, 2010
call senator ray jones.he is from this area.surely he would want to do something about it since his family deives this same route everyday.he can get something done,can't he?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virgie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min Constitutionalist 178,239
|keep a word, drop a word game| (Jul '11) 55 min texas pete 379
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr MOTG 28,073
End Of The Word Game (May '11) 1 hr MOTG 1,500
Word Association (Aug '11) 1 hr MOTG 8,809
4 letter word game (May '09) 1 hr MOTG 231
4 Letter Word Game (Mar '11) 1 hr MOTG 2,069

Virgie Jobs

Personal Finance

Virgie Mortgages