Peanut Butter and Jelly No Longer a L...

Peanut Butter and Jelly No Longer a Lunch Option at Some Schools

There are 7 comments on the CNN story from Sep 14, 2012, titled Peanut Butter and Jelly No Longer a Lunch Option at Some Schools. In it, CNN reports that:

Peanut butter and Jelly, no longer a lunch option for some school children in Viola, Arkansas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

PA Parent

Woodbine, MD

#1 Sep 15, 2012
I do not have a allergy but as a parent of a child with a life-threatening nut allergy I can appreciate the situation in Viola. Until you have a child where one bite could kill your child it is difficult to understand the anxiety that comes with sending your child to school (out of your immediate control). The largest challenge is educating others to how dangerous and immediately deadly 1/8 of a peanut can be. That little bit of peanut butter on my hand that moves to a pencil when I touch it. The pencil gets picked up by a peanut allergic kid, who then is exposed and a life-threatening situation incurs. This is bad for ALL involved the parent and child who brought the peanut product, the teacher responsible for the safety of the student, and of course the family of the affected child.

At the Elementary School I support all out bans of peanut products. I would think that the risk that something your child brings to school could kill another child is too great to take. I do realize that sometimes people have to be taught what is right. By the time the at risk child is in Middle (JR High) School that child should be able to evaluate the situation (nuts products) and remove him/herself to a safe place. Isn't this the same behavior we try to teach when there is a drunk driver?.

Batesville, AR

#2 Sep 15, 2012
even being around peanuts can cause a life threatening situation to some people that suffer from this allergy.why are people upset by this?arkansas-wtf is wrong with you?!
meeee

Mountain Home, AR

#3 Sep 16, 2012
some kids are allergic to dairy products,wheat eggs chocolate fish flour cleaners used to clean i guess do not serve anything.i myself am allergic to fish and seafood have been all my life.but thats why i carry an epipen and those around me know how to use it.i learned at a very young age to not touch that stuff.why should all kids have to pay for what a few cant have?alot of kids are also allergic to waspers i guess stop all children from going outside because of that.talk about singling children out.has anyone bothered asking the children how they feel and if the ones allergic want to be center of attention.i had one allergic to strawberries,taught her to stay away,had another allergic to eggs and chocolate did not mean kept it out of house just taught him could not have it.

Since: Oct 10

United States

#4 Sep 17, 2012
Drunk drivers?! Yes, there are drunk drivers on the road. Does that mean we don't drive? NO! It means we are careful and cautious while on the road.

Mountain Home, AR

#5 Sep 20, 2012
PA Parent wrote:
I do not have a allergy but as a parent of a child with a life-threatening nut allergy I can appreciate the situation in Viola. Until you have a child where one bite could kill your child it is difficult to understand the anxiety that comes with sending your child to school (out of your immediate control). The largest challenge is educating others to how dangerous and immediately deadly 1/8 of a peanut can be. That little bit of peanut butter on my hand that moves to a pencil when I touch it. The pencil gets picked up by a peanut allergic kid, who then is exposed and a life-threatening situation incurs. This is bad for ALL involved the parent and child who brought the peanut product, the teacher responsible for the safety of the student, and of course the family of the affected child.
At the Elementary School I support all out bans of peanut products. I would think that the risk that something your child brings to school could kill another child is too great to take. I do realize that sometimes people have to be taught what is right. By the time the at risk child is in Middle (JR High) School that child should be able to evaluate the situation (nuts products) and remove him/herself to a safe place. Isn't this the same behavior we try to teach when there is a drunk driver?.
You should put a diaper on your face because that's where all the crap is coming out of.
confused

Mountain Home, AR

#6 Sep 21, 2012
This whole issue and the way it has been handled by *The Powers That Be* is totally looney! We have a great school and town that is being made to look completely stupid due to peanuts of all things.
luke the drifter

Cherokee Village, AR

#7 Nov 1, 2012
yep they aint got the sense god gave a grapefruit

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Viola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fire department (Oct '10) May 21 Dustin 4
please help me May 20 Debracheal22 2
Please DON'T trust alyx herbert with ur money May 13 Harden 1
Tayhlor Adams May 8 Anonymous 5
Dustin Broughton Apr '16 Boss 4
jacob baltzell (Feb '12) Apr '16 xgf 46
monica Etheridge (May '11) Apr '16 worriedfriend 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Viola Mortgages