Drivers back on road as gas prices fall

Drivers back on road as gas prices fall

There are 24 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 2, 2008, titled Drivers back on road as gas prices fall. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Doug Guidry gave up drag racing and boating last summer when gasoline prices shot up.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dreaming

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 2, 2008
I would LOVE to have a pickup truck that gets 28 miles per gallon. I have a 99 truck now that was rated 15/18 when I bought it in 1999. The new trucks I have been looking at are rated the same 15/18! You would hope they could have figured out how to improve those numbers in 10 years. I guess I'll keep my current truck for a couple more years and start looking again in 2011. Thanks for the article.

“gojohnnygo.com”

Since: Apr 08

St Paul

#2 Nov 2, 2008
I'm glad to see prices lower, but now that I've changed my transportation & driving habits. I just can't see feeding the forces that can squeeze the American public at will anymore- speculators, the oil companies, etc.

My freedom is now judged on FREEDOM FROM that way of living. With a little planning, the money saved is only a part of the savings. I encourage the rest of you to at least consider your options- that's the hidden true freedom here. Just driving because it is what you're used to isn't really productive, is it?

I guess I learned something with $4.00 gas- my options, and therefore my real freedom.

Walk/ carpool/ ride share/ bus/ dial-a-ride/ bike/ work from home
GMANS

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Nov 2, 2008
These are the same RETARDS who don't care about anything...So go out John Q Public and buy a new SUV! you will get a good deal and you can watch it rust in your driveway with your snowmobile...So keep burning up that Cheap fuel and wash your memory of that nearly 4 dollar stuff. Wake up! the same thing happened in the 70s and you all went back to the same bad habits and car companies went back to building the same old gas guzzeling pieces of crap and you idiots bought them! Do you really think it is over? think again! it will get much worse and you will be looking for someone to blame!..blame your greedy selves. Stop acting like there will be no tomorrow and think and live with common sense for the sake of us all..

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#4 Nov 2, 2008
John Kass wrote:
I'm glad to see prices lower, but now that I've changed my transportation & driving habits. I just can't see feeding the forces that can squeeze the American public at will anymore- speculators, the oil companies, etc.
My freedom is now judged on FREEDOM FROM that way of living. With a little planning, the money saved is only a part of the savings. I encourage the rest of you to at least consider your options- that's the hidden true freedom here. Just driving because it is what you're used to isn't really productive, is it?
I guess I learned something with $4.00 gas- my options, and therefore my real freedom.
Right on!!! I didn't rush out to buy a car again (sold my car, bought an electric-assisted bike). I appreciate others who "get it."

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#5 Nov 2, 2008
Dreaming wrote:
I would LOVE to have a pickup truck that gets 28 miles per gallon. I have a 99 truck now that was rated 15/18 when I bought it in 1999. The new trucks I have been looking at are rated the same 15/18! You would hope they could have figured out how to improve those numbers in 10 years. I guess I'll keep my current truck for a couple more years and start looking again in 2011. Thanks for the article.
You are not dreaming. There are pickups getting 28mpg to 54mpg, depending on size, engines, and fuel types being made but not in this country! Detroit seems to think that everyone who wants a truck/SUV has to have mega horsepower, high speed, and highly widgetized gas guzzler! If Detroit doesn't reform its archaic thinking, the offshore vehicle makers will prevail. We need and demand better hi-tech American vehicles from Detroit, now.
hmmmm

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Nov 2, 2008
GMANS wrote:
These are the same RETARDS who don't care about anything...So go out John Q Public and buy a new SUV! you will get a good deal and you can watch it rust in your driveway with your snowmobile...So keep burning up that Cheap fuel and wash your memory of that nearly 4 dollar stuff. Wake up! the same thing happened in the 70s and you all went back to the same bad habits and car companies went back to building the same old gas guzzeling pieces of crap and you idiots bought them! Do you really think it is over? think again! it will get much worse and you will be looking for someone to blame!..blame your greedy selves. Stop acting like there will be no tomorrow and think and live with common sense for the sake of us all..
I couldn't have said it better myself!! You are right on.
Grizzly Adams

Maple Grove, MN

#7 Nov 2, 2008
GMANS wrote:
So go out John Q Public and buy a new SUV!
Indeed! Now that fuel is back down to stay, let's put AMERICANS back to work building AMERICAN vehicles!
Dave

Lake Elmo, MN

#8 Nov 2, 2008
have you noticed that gas prices fall every election so you feel good and within 3 months go back up? We the people are beeing played

St. Paul, MN

#9 Nov 2, 2008
Dave wrote:
have you noticed that gas prices fall every election so you feel good and within 3 months go back up? We the people are beeing played
Get your facts straight look at the numbers; petrol prices only fluctuated 1 to 5 cents per gallon during the 2000 & 2004 major election cycles. It always seem like that but it's only an illusion. Besides, we are being played by the oil producers with their huge profits and the fact that commodity speculators got greedy. The US and her citizens have to do better. Do you agree?
Straight Answer

Hudson, WI

#10 Nov 2, 2008
We are one crisis away from higher prices again. The best lesson any of us can learn is to spend less than you earn and take everything into account regarding your finances. You would be amazed how many things you can do without that will have no discernable impact on your quality of life. Two months ago, my 18 year old son wanted me to co-sign for him on a new car, which I told him I couldn't do and call myself a responsible father toward the financial noose he would be in. He then got permanently laid-off from his job the very next day. I didn't tell him I told you so...the last thing kids want to hear from their parents that don't know anything. He's over it now, but he was sure unhappy at that time for me "ruining his dream". I asked him, if he had considered that if he would have saved 25-40% of his wages in the last two years, he could have had his own down payment and not need anyone. He admitted it had occurred to him. The lesson? Save for yourself, cut back and you won't need to rely on others as much. The storm clouds are coming.
Go DFL

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Nov 2, 2008
The only way we can support a sustainable infrastructure is by building more public transportation. I suggest we put toll roads in place so that we can fund such initiatives before it becomes too late and we will be in reactive mode again.
Mike

Alexandria, MN

#12 Nov 2, 2008
Let's not be stupid. The reason prices came down isn't about the good-hearted oil companies and Middle East. It's because they've got it and we don't need as much of it. Just keep your same driving habits. It doesn't hurt to stay home. That's where you live. I drive to the Twin Cities and there's people on the road, bunches of them at all hours. Mid-day when people are supposed to be working, middle-of-the-night when people are supposed to be sleeping. Stay home, save some money and keep prices down.
Jeff

Long Lake, MN

#13 Nov 2, 2008
John Kass wrote:
"Walk/carpool/ride share/bus/dial-a-ride/bike/wor k from home." Let's not forget the most important thing we need to do: PRODUCE MORE OF OUR OWN OIL. It's the patriotic thing to do. We can't continue to send hundreds of billions of dollars to our enemies. This is a national security issue.
Jeff

Long Lake, MN

#15 Nov 2, 2008
GMANS wrote:
You are predicting that things will be much worse in the future. Can I take that to mean that you would be in favor of more domestic drilling for oil to try and avoid this? If you believe that there will be a shortage of oil, it would be commonsense to drill for more, wouldn't it? Nobody is opposed to conservation, but what about more production? This is a national security issue. We can't keep sending hundreds of billions of dollars to our enemies. We need to drill for more oil and build refineries. This is the only way to guarantee low gas prices.
Go DFL

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Nov 2, 2008
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You are predicting that things will be much worse in the future. Can I take that to mean that you would be in favor of more domestic drilling for oil to try and avoid this? If you believe that there will be a shortage of oil, it would be commonsense to drill for more, wouldn't it? Nobody is opposed to conservation, but what about more production? This is a national security issue. We can't keep sending hundreds of billions of dollars to our enemies. We need to drill for more oil and build refineries. This is the only way to guarantee low gas prices.
What we should be doing is trying to get off of oil. We do not need these big oil freaks anymore. What we need is bio fuels and wind energy. We need to make people take more public transport by punishing the people that travel to work alone by using toll roads. This is the only way we can get this country back on the correct energy track.
Madman

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Nov 2, 2008
Mellers wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on!!! I didn't rush out to buy a car again (sold my car, bought an electric-assisted bike). I appreciate others who "get it."
I got it, sorta. I got rid of my pickup truck, have parked my 12mpg delivery van, and now have a single vehicle -- a 4-cyl minivan that gives me a solid 21MPG in daily driving. A VAST improvement!

I did more when we had a small house fire -- gutted the 1900-built structure, furred the walls for R19, put R57 in attic, all casement windows, and a 93% efficient furnace. I am checking to see if I accidentally have meet LEED standards for a Green Building. If not, it will be close!

I have been an advocate of energy efficiency since Carter's time. How sad his great ideas for reducing consumption of foreign oil were drowned out by the hostage crisis and other political agendas -- we would be MUCH closer to oil independence today if those policies had continued and steadily upgraded.

There is NO time like the Present!
Jeff

Long Lake, MN

#18 Nov 2, 2008
Go DFL wrote:
<quoted text>
What we should be doing is trying to get off of oil. We do not need these big oil freaks anymore. What we need is bio fuels and wind energy. We need to make people take more public transport by punishing the people that travel to work alone by using toll roads. This is the only way we can get this country back on the correct energy track.
Nobody is opposed to developing alternative energy, but what are we going to do in the mean time? How does drilling for more oil slow the development of alternative fuels? We can't allow ourselves to be put into a position where a disruption in our oil supply will cripple us. I'm in favor of conservation and most types of alternative energy. The fact is that nobody has developed a replacement for oil. For this reason, we must produce as much oil as we can, while alternatives are being developed.

St. Paul, MN

#19 Nov 2, 2008
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is opposed to developing alternative energy, but what are we going to do in the mean time? How does drilling for more oil slow the development of alternative fuels? We can't allow ourselves to be put into a position where a disruption in our oil supply will cripple us. I'm in favor of conservation and most types of alternative energy. The fact is that nobody has developed a replacement for oil. For this reason, we must produce as much oil as we can, while alternatives are being developed.
Instead of just drilling for oil, the technology and resources are available to quickly tool up and produce alternatives. T.Boone Pickens has the right ideas for the short and long terms regarding becoming US energy dependent. Instead of just spending more money on just drilling for oil, drill for the vast natural gas reserves the US has available. It's clean and efficient. At the same time produce wind energy, build new tech category IV nuclear power plants. These plants are safer, cleaner, and fuel recoverable.{The US Navy has been using this nuclear tech for years.} Bio-fuels and syn-fuels technology have produced breakthroughs that are outstanding and ready to be produced. Singular corn based ethanol production can be converted to multi-resource based ethanol production thus not putting our food resource chain in jeopardy. Last but not least, Detroit car makers can bring the efficient cars they make abroad and produce them in the US. No more excuses Detroit if you want to survive and thrive produce those new tech vehicles.

Our proverbial backs are against the wall in a crises of national security and well being. Our very way of life and standard of living is at stake. This nation can get through this crisis if we all pull together on a unified front of action. Look at this as a war against economic collapse and/or a restoration of our national pride and promise. Our future depends on it.
Jose

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Nov 2, 2008
I could really care less. I drive a big SUV escalade and the gasoline prices haven't meant anything to me. If it is $7.00 dollars a gallon. I could care less. I love my SUV. And, certainly, if I get in an accident the other guy will get the worst of it. Who cares?
smudge

Lake Elmo, MN

#21 Nov 2, 2008
i agree with dave...if you don't think we're being played by the politicos...ok, fine, republicans and all their oil cronies, then you are naive

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vinton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jojo And Stacy Jun 13 Hop3lssROMANTIK 1
News Sulphur Police Officer Shoots Dog (May '14) Oct '15 Delilah 6
Reunion VINTONn high class 1975 (Aug '15) Aug '15 DEBORAH RAY HOLST 1
Roxanne Courmier (Jul '15) Jul '15 Teachers Pet 1
Who is 3hole on zoosk he is 35 (Jul '15) Jul '15 Vicki 1
hwy 90 blocked in certain areas in vinton (Jun '15) Jun '15 loveisevol2131 1
Sulphur Louisiana Police Dept Inmates Menu (Mar '10) Jun '15 Cracker 60
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vinton Mortgages