Hearing set for proposed birthing center

Hearing set for proposed birthing center

There are 31 comments on the WHAS11 story from Feb 18, 2013, titled Hearing set for proposed birthing center. In it, WHAS11 reports that:

Mary Carol Akers told The News Enterprise that she thinks women in Kentucky should have more birthing options and has applied to the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family for a certificate of need in order to build and operate the Visitation Birth and Family Wellness Center in Elizabethtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHAS11.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fluffy the Rat

Fort Knox, KY

#21 Feb 25, 2013
Then you should have no objection to it being there.

If they build it and they do not come, then the business will fail.
Mandy

Campbellsville, KY

#22 Feb 25, 2013
Fluffy the Rat wrote:
Then you should have no objection to it being there.
If they build it and they do not come, then the business will fail.
Really don't have an objection, but do think it will be à waste of money & then there will be another building that will sit empty.
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#23 Feb 25, 2013
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again. I believe you have made your point abundantly clear REPEATEDLY! Now you could post with your wooden tooth friends from Britain by going back to that silly "male doctor and your wife" site but no wait, it's gone. Wonder why/how that happened? Everyone gets it there Champ so just move on to talking about stop lights or the price of gas, maybe how much rubbers cost at Walmart, the important things.
oh,do you tell other people that on other discussions? what is your vested interest?
Mandy

Campbellsville, KY

#24 Feb 25, 2013
dad wrote:
<quoted text>
oh,do you tell other people that on other discussions? what is your vested interest?
Oh give it up already! You just keep saying the same thing over & over. Male doctors are evil. We get it already.
Espinoza

Elizabethtown, KY

#25 Feb 25, 2013
dad wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently the people who are putting up the money feel as if they are competent to run the business and are confident they can do it safely.

That is the only opinion that matters.
dad

United States

#26 Feb 26, 2013
Wooden- teeth friends? That's hilarious
my two cents

Campbellsville, KY

#27 Feb 26, 2013
So i agree with MAndy , if most of the Pt would come from the Ville it would be reasonable to be there
Point 1 They cant get a Certificate of need there due to the abundane of hospitals etc. thats why they ( the birthing center) are trying it in this area.

Point 2 I will bring more high risk infants into Hardinmemorial post birth I hope they keep EMS close by and ready for the EMERGENCy transports when it all goes wrong, like the amish when they drag in after NO( prenatal) care

Point 3 Hey DAD If you dont want anyone to see youre wife then keep her at home!

Seems to me like another way to get uninformed people hurt. And worst of all Children that dont have a voice yet,I would think we have evolved past this stupidity be now !!
dad

United States

#28 Feb 26, 2013
Why not follow them around town in an ambulance when they hit 9 months?
unknown

Huntingdon, UK

#29 Mar 12, 2013
I love reading comments such as these... I find it fascinating that due to America having the HIGHEST Obstetric intervention rate, you also have the HIGHEST Maternal and neonatal death rate in the developed world.
I find it worrying that women and their partners are unable to express their wish to give birth how they wish due to the paternalistic and obnoxious views of the American public.
I encourage American women, their partners and their families to continue to demand suitable care from healthcare professionals.
If obstetric care is the best and only suitable method, why does research from all over the world state that both maternal and neonatal outcomes are no improved by the presence of doctors?
I too have seen many a baby born, I agree that there are occassions in which obstetric help is required and gratefully received; however,research suggests that both the emotional and physical outcomes for EVERYONE involved are improved with midwiferry care.
Keep the doctors where they belong, in hospitals looking after the sick.High-risk women, with associated co-morbidities require expert obstetric care.
A woman with a low-risk preganacy is not sick, she does not need obstetric care.
I suggest that if you wish to argue that all babies should be born in a hospital, you should go back to the 1970's, it was only then that this argument was fashionable and actually believed.
Mandy

United States

#30 Mar 12, 2013
I know someone who had absolutely no problems at all during her pregancy. She was young & healthy & they saw no problems with her giving birth. She pushed & pushed, but could not give birth as the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's leg & she had to have an emergency C-Section. You just never know what can happen. If people want something like this in their area I hope they get it, but again the people who are trying to build in E-town are saying most patients will come from Louisville. What E-town needs is another hospital or make HMH bigger. If the mid-wife trying to start this place here said that most women in E-town want this, then I would be all for it being built here for those who want it. For myself, I will stick to a hospital because I don't like to take even the slightest risk when it comes to having a baby.
Educated Decisions

Georgetown, KY

#31 Mar 12, 2013
I bet many of you have not seen the study that came out recently proving the safety of birth centers. Birth centers have a very low maternal and neonatal mortality rate compared to hospitals and that is comparing apples to apples(low risk pregnancy to low risk pregnancy). Yes there is a need for hospitals but there is also a need for birth centers because about 70% of women can delivery without many of the interventions used in the hospitals. In general there is a lack of education given to the parents or mothers to make totally informed decisions about their care.
I would also like to point out that a high proportion of the women who choose birth centers are educated and that is why they are choosing the birth centers. Birth centers give mothers options if they are low risk and appropriate. The recent study also showed that of the small percentage of women who were transferred to the hospital many were due to failure to progress and not for emergency reasons. There were no maternal deaths and a neonatal mortality rate of 0.7% excluding chromosomal anomalies which could have not been prevented.
Instead of the hospitals worrying about money and trying to take limit options maybe they should make more options available such as VBAC's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vine Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
loud boom in radcliff 51 min Vet1 25
HOOTERS signed deal to open new location - I-65... 2 hr Stallion 31
Steve Shook 2 hr wtf 5
Nice man in a red Ford pickup 4 hr Yup 24
Bri Tuttle Gots Too Many Tats (Feb '16) 8 hr You Need It 26
When Will Amber Get Out of Jail? 8 hr Tainted Crotch 18
Michael snyder (Jun '15) 9 hr Justice 13

Vine Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance