Hearing set for proposed birthing center

Feb 18, 2013 Full story: WHAS11 31

Mary Carol Akers told The News Enterprise that she thinks women in Kentucky should have more birthing options and has applied to the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family for a certificate of need in order to build and operate the Visitation Birth and Family Wellness Center in Elizabethtown.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
choice is great

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Feb 21, 2013
I hope that the Twin Lakes Monopoly doesn't stop this birthing center from opening. It is 2013 and women have been birthing babies for a very long time. Twin Lakes and two other hospitals are trying to block this saying its unsafe and unneeded. I had two babies at Twin Lakes and was very happy with my care. I visited Hardin Memorial and Uof L and hated them. I am not having any more babies,but if I did I would consider an alternate site (if my insurance covered it). Many people birth their babies at home because they don't want to go to the hospital. A birthing center would provide a much safer alternative and at least be sterile. Twin Lakes needs to bud out. They don't need to controll everything. What do you think?
Ashley

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Feb 21, 2013
I know a lady who has birthed six of her children with the help of a midwife. I think it would be wonderful idea to have the option. I wish I would have had the option, and education on it before birthing my first and only at my local hospital. Not that I had a problem with the hospital, but it was so hectic and busy for me that I was stressed, and barely remember it.
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Feb 22, 2013
i think it is great to get back to midwifery, instead of the all invasive and humiliating practice of ten people in a room (with men there too) while a couple is trying to give birth. they act as though it is pathological instead of normal for a woman to have a baby, they also want women to think that they cant trust their own bodies todays doctors make me sick with their lies and greed
just a mom

Elizabethtown, KY

#4 Feb 22, 2013
I really don't know what Twin Lakes is worried about. A very huge population of mothers-to-be around here have a medical card. State insurance probably won't cover the birthing center (which is stupid because it would cost a lot less). Twin Lakes won't loose that much business. Also, for anyone that has a high-risk pregnancy, they are typically referred to UofL. The article says that there is no reason a person should drive to Elizabethtown to have their baby, but people are already driving the Elizabethtown, Bowling Green, and U of L (for high risk). So that arguement doesn't make sense. TLMC just feels the need to control all medical practices in Grayson County. Parent's should have options. It sounds just as stupid as if Pizza Hut wrote a letter to the state saying that Domino's shouldn't be allowed to sell pizza in Elizabethtown, because people in Leitchfield might drive to Elizabeth to eat pizza when they can eat pizza in Leitchfield. If I had waited about 15 minutes to go to the hospital with my last child, he would have been born either at home or in the car. Would the hospital have written letters to the state about that?
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Feb 22, 2013
thats just the thing, they(hospital) wants us to think that we cant have a baby without them, and is simply not true. Not everybody is comfortable with male doctors either(which is pretty much all they have) and also i would point out that until the 20th century almost all babies were delivered by midwives, and midwives were female. in fact the very word 'obstetric' comes from the latin that means 'midwife', but i guess the fancy word sounds more impressive. if you look at the data that the CDC has you will also notice that almost no one gets cervical cancer, yet they push and push to get papsmears done, more lies to get your moeny using fear mongering, while at the same time putting young women in a degrading and humiliating position, especially when there are now better tests and no invasion is required. and really there is no need for a pelvic exam at all during a pregnancy, there is no need to touch the cervix(it is closed anyway) but then that would mean they wouldnt get the 400 dollars for the exam, it will take a lot for me to regain any trust for healthcare the way it is now. doctors used to be empathetic and caring, but now are comercial and greedy(we have a billboard in our county for crying out loud!)
Espinoza

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Feb 22, 2013
It is monopoly at Hardin Memorial that is really pushing this.

The county gains a lot of money from these guys and used it for county projects.

Why don't they put it into better service...like a better emergency room where the people of HArdin county don't have to wait for 6-8 hours?

WOmen need a choice and birthplaces are a safe alternative that should be available for women who are in touch with their bodies and want the birth of their child to be a remarkable event, and not one where the obstetrician hovers over them, trying to figure out when they should do a C-section so they can move on for the next delivery.

Women deserve the right to choose. It is safe and a reasonable alternative.

Hardin Memorial wants to maintain their monopoly...and money flow.

Support the birthing center. Call HMH and tell them that you will start going to the Ville for health care.

Money is all they care about.

Do what any good, informed consumer should do. Tell them you will take your health care business to the Ville.
Concerned

Elizabethtown, KY

#7 Feb 23, 2013
A birthing center may be fine if you have had several babies and know you can manage but that said the cemetery is full of babies from the last century that where born at home. I work in OB and know full well that you can have a beautiful labor experience and it all go to hell in the last 5 minutes and thats in a hospital setting. God forbid your at a birthing center up the road where they will load you up in the ambulance and ship you to HMH where you pray they will be able to fix a disaster. Because thats the only thing that will role in the ER .Every minute counts in those situations so just get a stop watch out and time it.
Common Sense

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 Feb 23, 2013
I think a lot of the decision will be taken out of the mothers hand. It will depend on the insurane company and what they allow. If they cover mid wife and something goes wrong will they cover both the mid wife and the ob room at a hospital?
Check with your insurance company now before you will need them .
Courious

Elizabethtown, KY

#9 Feb 23, 2013
dad wrote:
i think it is great to get back to midwifery, instead of the all invasive and humiliating practice of ten people in a room (with men there too) while a couple is trying to give birth. they act as though it is pathological instead of normal for a woman to have a baby, they also want women to think that they cant trust their own bodies todays doctors make me sick with their lies and greed
It's been a long time since I had my son, so my question is can you limit it to only the babies father in the delivery room?
No one was allowed in the room but the Dr and nurses when my son
was born. I am confused about this ten people in the room
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Feb 23, 2013
Concerned wrote:
A birthing center may be fine if you have had several babies and know you can manage but that said the cemetery is full of babies from the last century that where born at home. I work in OB and know full well that you can have a beautiful labor experience and it all go to hell in the last 5 minutes and thats in a hospital setting. God forbid your at a birthing center up the road where they will load you up in the ambulance and ship you to HMH where you pray they will be able to fix a disaster. Because thats the only thing that will role in the ER .Every minute counts in those situations so just get a stop watch out and time it.
here we go,more fear-mongering. no ladies you cant trust your own bodies! anything could happen...blah blah blah leave it to us, the experts, after all a man knows more about your body than you do
Concerned

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 Feb 24, 2013
Dad how many babies have you seen delivered? I have seen thousands and i have seen many a difficult delivery. Facts are.... seconds count when a mom and baby are in trouble if you wish to gamble with your loved ones your choice.You have to live with it. It would be great if you could know your babies birth would be an uncomplicated event but we dont know. I do know we allow more family members at the birth than just dads its the moms choice. Ok birth is a natural process but unfortunately it doesnt always go as planned. Thats not fear mongering thats just the facts.
RRRRR

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Feb 24, 2013
Fear-mongering is exactly what is going on.

Women need the choice.

The fact that this will pertain to women who are not on medicaid suggets that the women involved will be more informed of their choices and will ask better questions.

We got to this point with women having given birth in bushes, caves and rice paddies. And, sure there was a high maternal and infant mortality.

But things have progressed and given experienced and competent nurse midwives who will screen the patients and recognize problems prior to delivery date, there should not be an issue.

BTW, nurse midwives deliver at HMH. How far away is the OB back up when they deliver?
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Feb 24, 2013
Concerned wrote:
Dad how many babies have you seen delivered? I have seen thousands and i have seen many a difficult delivery. Facts are.... seconds count when a mom and baby are in trouble if you wish to gamble with your loved ones your choice.You have to live with it. It would be great if you could know your babies birth would be an uncomplicated event but we dont know. I do know we allow more family members at the birth than just dads its the moms choice. Ok birth is a natural process but unfortunately it doesnt always go as planned. Thats not fear mongering thats just the facts.
well, what else they do not tell you is that they may also use uninvited male medical students to either participate and possibly even do an intimate exam or check, and in spite of your objection they usually proceed anyway or become angry if you refuse to allow the male in the delivery room, i have seen them storm out of the doorwhen we said, no. also i would add that we do deserve to have a choice, and the only reason the hospitals object is because of the money.

How many pateints have been turned down from your hospital because of insurance or money? i know several people that needed some surgery or treatment but was refused because of moeny. why in this case, the case of a woman giving birth is there so much resistace on the hospitals part?

why dont we refuse to allow anyone to get a piercing or tatoo away from a hospital while we are at it?
dad

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Feb 24, 2013
Courious wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been a long time since I had my son, so my question is can you limit it to only the babies father in the delivery room?
No one was allowed in the room but the Dr and nurses when my son
was born. I am confused about this ten people in the room
oh, there is usally more than just the doctor, there is also the anaesthetist, prep nurses, scrub nurses, technicians, consent form people, and even janitors that i have seen trying to come into the room while my wife was in labor, getting ready for labor, or getting ready to deliver. what i suggest is there is no respect for modesty or privacy in the hospital.
Seriously

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Feb 24, 2013
Am I hearing you correctly "Dad"? You are seriously complaining because the Obstetrician is assisted in the delivery of your baby by an Anesthesiologist (another physician) relieving your wife of her pain and a couple of trained professional nurses to help the physicians? Let's keep our eye on the ball. I doubt very seriously while your wife was actually giving birth that a Registration Clerk or Janitor walked into the room and bothered your wife or the physicians. We can debate issues all day but that does not sound logical.
James

Louisville, KY

#16 Feb 24, 2013
dad wrote:
<quoted text>
here we go,more fear-mongering. no ladies you cant trust your own bodies! anything could happen...blah blah blah leave it to us, the experts, after all a man knows more about your body than you do
Here we go again. I believe you have made your point abundantly clear REPEATEDLY! Now you could post with your wooden tooth friends from Britain by going back to that silly "male doctor and your wife" site but no wait, it's gone. Wonder why/how that happened? Everyone gets it there Champ so just move on to talking about stop lights or the price of gas, maybe how much rubbers cost at Walmart, the important things.
James

Louisville, KY

#17 Feb 24, 2013
Seriously wrote:
Am I hearing you correctly "Dad"? You are seriously complaining because the Obstetrician is assisted in the delivery of your baby by an Anesthesiologist (another physician) relieving your wife of her pain and a couple of trained professional nurses to help the physicians? Let's keep our eye on the ball. I doubt very seriously while your wife was actually giving birth that a Registration Clerk or Janitor walked into the room and bothered your wife or the physicians. We can debate issues all day but that does not sound logical.
Don't engage him he just is attempting to relive the no male doctors should examine females argument. I don't disagree but these idiot trolls from England will wear your butt out posting the same thing daily for a solid year. No more responses to dad or his ilk for me. Finally got rid of them and don't want them back. Their issue is like herpes as it never goes away.
Mandy

Radcliff, KY

#18 Feb 25, 2013
I honestly can't see a big need for this place. I would not want to give birth someplace where there wasn't a doctor right there in case an emergency came up. I don't see women driving from Lousiville or anywhere else to have a baby in E-town. I know they said it would eb like giving birth at home & less stressful, but I just don't see it. Giving birth is stressful because there are so many unknown factors & it hurts! I'm not a big fan of HMH, but they were great with me when I had my daughter. They asked who I wanted in the room when I delivered & they kept all other family members out. The nurses were great to me & gave me lots of encouragement.
Fluffy the Rat

Vine Grove, KY

#19 Feb 25, 2013
Women will come to a birthing center. They come after making an informed decision.

Birthing centers cater to those people who are anticipated to have a normal, uneventful pregnancy. Anything high-risk is sent elsewhere.

And sure there are some emergencies that require prompt attention, but they are rare (cord prolapse, shoulder dystocia, etc).

BY choosing their patient population they are keeping their risk to a minimum, just like any OB doc would do. And, again, it is the woman's choice.
Mandy

Radcliff, KY

#20 Feb 25, 2013
What I don't understand is that they say most of the women would come from Louisville & Jefferson County. If that's the case then shouldn't they be building there? I've asked all of my friends' & they have all said that they wouldn't go to a place like this. Even a slight risk is just too much when it comes to your baby.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vine Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Limbertwig 155,353
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min Kyboy 7,120
Utility Trailers (Aug '11) 11 min its me its ME 16
Do you approve of J.J. Duvall as Mayor? (Oct '11) 1 hr Jennifer 56
cowards 1 hr Rebecca Ann 1
eric (Aug '10) 1 hr Rebecca Ann 10
who stole my video camera on my cat??? 1 hr Rebecca Ann 34

Vine Grove Jobs

Vine Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Vine Grove News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Vine Grove

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]