Woman Attacked By Possible Coyote | Ohio News Network (ONN)

Full story: 10TV WBNS

Julia Stevens, 75, was found outside her home Tuesday morning after her mobility scooter got stuck and she spent the night out in the rain and cold on Monday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated May 14, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hutch

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

Prayers go out to Julia....I'm so sorry you lost your dog:(
Guido

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

"These animals should be given the respect you would give any wild animal"? How about a 12 gauge deer slug worth of respect.
Sue

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

What a sad story. That is a power wheelchair, not a mobility scooter. A mobility scooter has 3 wheels and a handle in the front.
derp

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

@Guido 12 gauge slug would be overkill, and annoying if you missed, rather have buckshot or a handgun (better maneuverability and more chances to hit it) :D
Kline

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

Its time the state offered $$$$ for coyote pelts!
Lil

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

The State established these blasted coyotes to help control deer population.....now what are they going to do with the coyote over-population....my area is over run by them and they are not afraid any longer to come around our residence.
Jackson

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Most people who commented so far are focusing on the animal.

If her family/neighbors/friends had not failed her so miserably, she'd not have been outside to be attacked.

They are the real villains, not the coyote.
Johnny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

I think you mean 'allegedly attacked by coyotes'? We haven't been able to locate any coyotes for questioning yet, so legally, they are still innocent.
Jeremiah

Baltimore, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Lil wrote:
The State established these blasted coyotes to help control deer population.....now what are they going to do with the coyote over-population....my area is over run by them and they are not afraid any longer to come around our residence.
I've never heard that before. Your source?

“A work in progress”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

Wow that is sad...maybe she should have had one of those lifecall emergency necklaces if she wasn't able to get around well. It sucks that she was outside and got attacked, but if she were in the house and fell, she may not have been discovered for days if she couldn't get up to get a phone or answer the door...she might have died..@ JACKSON The ones that are irresponsible are her family members or whoever takes care of her if they haven't gotten her a lifecall device for emergencies and knew she wasn't mobile...blamming her nieghbors is just dumb...and how do you even know she was somewhere where she could be seen...how close are her nieghbors and where did she fall? Is her place off the road a ways? Her family should feel guilty not the nieghbors!
who cares

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2010

Judged:

i'm sure she could have walked inside her house,people with broken legs go for miles even if they need to crawl. too bad it wasn't a pack of coyotes cause the story sure would have got a lot funnier.
buz

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

who cares wrote:
i'm sure she could have walked inside her house,people with broken legs go for miles even if they need to crawl. too bad it wasn't a pack of coyotes caruse the story sure would have got a lot funnier.
r u retarded
buz

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

u must be retarted(who cares)
e_persona

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

who cares wrote:
i'm sure she could have walked inside her house,people with broken legs go for miles even if they need to crawl. too bad it wasn't a pack of coyotes cause the story sure would have got a lot funnier.
I am "sure" if you had any brain cells you could have posted an intelligent response. People with working brains can type sentences and put words together to form logical thoughts even if they have to type with two fingers.
mojo

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Jackson wrote:
Most people who commented so far are focusing on the animal.
If her family/neighbors/friends had not failed her so miserably, she'd not have been outside to be attacked.
They are the real villains, not the coyote.
This is a terrible thing to have happened. And I am most upset that at 75 years of age, she lost the companionship of her dog. That said, neighbors are not family. They have no responsibility toward this woman at all and I am sure they would have helped her if they had known she needed help. Quite frankly, she needed more care than she thought and she should have been in a assisted living home or living at least in close proximity to family.
Jackson

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

mojo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a terrible thing to have happened. And I am most upset that at 75 years of age, she lost the companionship of her dog. That said, neighbors are not family. They have no responsibility toward this woman at all and I am sure they would have helped her if they had known she needed help. Quite frankly, she needed more care than she thought and she should have been in a assisted living home or living at least in close proximity to family.
Losing her companion is a bad thing. Getting accustomed to another will take time -- I hope she does it.

In our area, neighbors are family. We check on one another.

As for family, I live 85+ miles from my 75-year-old sister. I have phone numbers for her local in-laws and the phone number for the police -- and I've used both to make sure she's okay. If she doesn't answer her phone, I call the in-laws; then, the police, if necessary.
concerned

Parkersburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

They say all they want that this attack was about a dog being walked, but I got news for you. Coming from a place in the south where there were many, I have seen them be very aggressive toward anything small, so I feel like it is only a matter of time until a child is attacked.

Once they become not afraid to show themselves (and several around here have gone that way) they will be in the yard with your kids.

This is serious business folks. I saw 2 in Belpre, in town, chasing small game in an open field. Something needs to be done.
Outraged

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

My thoughts and prayers are with Julia, I hope you have a quick full recovery. As for your dog I am sorry what ever it was took it's life.

Please do not listen to the rude or selfish remarks left on here. Not all of them/us are like that.

May God be with you!
mojo

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

concerned wrote:
They say all they want that this attack was about a dog being walked, but I got news for you. Coming from a place in the south where there were many, I have seen them be very aggressive toward anything small, so I feel like it is only a matter of time until a child is attacked.
Once they become not afraid to show themselves (and several around here have gone that way) they will be in the yard with your kids.
This is serious business folks. I saw 2 in Belpre, in town, chasing small game in an open field. Something needs to be done.
First of all, it is not certain that it was a coyote. Next, this is what happens when the whole ecological system is out of balance. We develop more land and animals have no choice but to live in close proximity to us. And now everyone wants to kill these animals much like we took out the wolves years ago out west. We all need to learn how to live with coyotes. They are a key piece in controlling deer and other wildlife. No, I don't want my children or pets hurt by coyotes and it would be easier if we didn't have to worry about them, but they have the right to be among us.
Bud Hamlisch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

It doesn't surprise me that people are having more contact with coyotes. I've seen them in the Columbus metro area.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Vincent Discussions

Search the Vincent Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr xxxrayted 29,388
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 26 Go Blue Forever 2,218
Michael Barrett of belpre (Mar '13) Jul 24 michael 2
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Bobby Nye 178
don't buy bongs from Star Fire (May '13) May '14 Johnathan of Belpre 4
Review: J And H'S Auto Sales May '14 A-S-M- 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Vincent Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Vincent People Search