First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Steve Seven Trees

Chico, CA

#1 Mar 18, 2013
I don’t like down­town because of all the bums. They’re nasty, they stink, they’re aggressive, they’re rude, they’re unsafe. No one goes through the City Plaza anymore because it’s just full of bums. Do something about it. Clean up our town.
annoyed

Chico, CA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
Unsafe? Been attacked by a homeless person lately? Why don't you go hide?

And the puke and feces in doorways downtown? That's students; bums do it in private and students brag about doing it in public.

In fact why not do the community a service and tell us how much money we spend watching over the homeless vs. how much we spend to try to keep the students in line. I'm sure that would amaze many people.
Crickets

Williams, CA

#3 Mar 18, 2013
annoyed wrote:
Unsafe? Been attacked by a homeless person lately? Why don't you go hide?
And the puke and feces in doorways downtown? That's students; bums do it in private and students brag about doing it in public.
In fact why not do the community a service and tell us how much money we spend watching over the homeless vs. how much we spend to try to keep the students in line. I'm sure that would amaze many people.
And then compare that cost to the amount of money the students bring to Chico and how that money multiplies throughout the community vs. how much money the homeless bring to town, etc.

I am sure you will be amazed. Other valley towns should be so lucky to have a large University and community college.
Crickets

Williams, CA

#4 Mar 18, 2013
BUt I do agree with you that homeless people are 'mostly harmless'.
Local

Clearlake, CA

#5 Mar 18, 2013
Crickets wrote:
<quoted text>
And then compare that cost to the amount of money the students bring to Chico and how that money multiplies throughout the community vs. how much money the homeless bring to town, etc.
I am sure you will be amazed. Other valley towns should be so lucky to have a large University and community college.
You are agreeing that college students defecate in doorways etc.????
There is no evidence to support that ridiculous assertion..........however, I do agree with the economic benefits of CSUC.

"Other valley towns should be so lucky to have a large University and community college."
We agree....hey, that's once in a row!!!!
Crickets

Williams, CA

#6 Mar 18, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
You are agreeing that college students defecate in doorways etc.????
There is no evidence to support that ridiculous assertion..........however, I do agree with the economic benefits of CSUC.
"Other valley towns should be so lucky to have a large University and community college."
We agree....hey, that's once in a row!!!!
no, sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I was not referring to the defecation part at all. I was agreeing that Students do cost the city money but I was pointing out that they bring more benefit than cost so you end up with a net gain.........ie a problem other valley towns would love to have.
Crickets

Williams, CA

#7 Mar 18, 2013
But I can't imagine a College student bragging about taking a dump in a doorway.....peeing maybe, or even throwing up from too much booze, but not the other.
annoyed

Chico, CA

#8 Mar 19, 2013
Crickets wrote:
<quoted text>
Then let's not have any more silly complaints about the puke and shit and burned couches and injured police and fire and....infinitum???? what a bright idea....just accept anything that the students crap out so you can trade it for a few dollars... I'm happy you like it. But many others don't like such a life...or town...it may have something to do with raising kids or some other type of ordinary civicmindedness, as opposed to the greedy retailer approach you represent.
Crickets

Williams, CA

#9 Mar 19, 2013
annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Then let's not have any more silly complaints about the puke and shit and burned couches and injured police and fire and....infinitum???? what a bright idea....just accept anything that the students crap out so you can trade it for a few dollars... I'm happy you like it. But many others don't like such a life...or town...it may have something to do with raising kids or some other type of ordinary civicmindedness, as opposed to the greedy retailer approach you represent.
There are a whole host of other valley towns that do not have a large university and community college. If you hate living in a college town so much why not move to one of them? I honestly do not get your position.

Chico is a unique town in this region BECAUSE it is a college town, that is part and parcel to why Chico is more economically viable than so many other valley towns that do not have the influx of youth and money. Chico not only has more economic activity, it also has more culture, restaurants, book stores, theatre, etc.

I simply do not get why you live in a college town if you dislike college towns ( and students) so much. That is like moving to Pacifica and complaining about the Fog, or moving to Tahoe and complaining about all the snow and tourists.
Ruth

Durham, CA

#10 Mar 19, 2013
The downtown plaza is very dirty, has graffiti on it, and is inhabited by transients who act very poorly. I’m nervous about the grandkids using the restrooms. I have decided that I won’t bring my grandkids to City Plaza since the Bums have taken it over.
Steve

Chico, CA

#11 Mar 20, 2013
So instead of cleaning up downtown the Hemet/Chico Manager hires another bum from out of town, to the tune of $185,000.00, adding to the problem.
annoyed

Chico, CA

#12 Mar 20, 2013
Crickets wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a whole host of other valley towns that do not have a large university and community college. If you hate living in a college town so much why not move to one of them? I honestly do not get your position.
Chico is a unique town in this region BECAUSE it is a college town, that is part and parcel to why Chico is more economically viable than so many other valley towns that do not have the influx of youth and money. Chico not only has more economic activity, it also has more culture, restaurants, book stores, theatre, etc.
I simply do not get why you live in a college town if you dislike college towns ( and students) so much. That is like moving to Pacifica and complaining about the Fog, or moving to Tahoe and complaining about all the snow and tourists.
So please tell us why you burned the furniture in the streets and why you support the great wonderfullness of these acts.

Why don't you go live in Oakland if you like the kind of scum that follow and prey on the kids and our community. I'm sure you'll like it.

I wish Robin Wilson was back.

"Chico is more economically viable" You say this as we teeter back and forth near bankruptcy? Go visit other cities and see how they're doing instead of using your obviously alcohol embalmed brain for guesses.

Culture????? You're funny.
Crickets

Williams, CA

#13 Mar 20, 2013
annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
So please tell us why you burned the furniture in the streets and why you support the great wonderfullness of these acts.
Why don't you go live in Oakland if you like the kind of scum that follow and prey on the kids and our community. I'm sure you'll like it.
I wish Robin Wilson was back.
"Chico is more economically viable" You say this as we teeter back and forth near bankruptcy? Go visit other cities and see how they're doing instead of using your obviously alcohol embalmed brain for guesses.
Culture????? You're funny.
Wow, you assume an awful lot. I have never burned furniture in the street, I rarely drink, I don't like the "kind of scum that follow and prey on our kids, in fact (are you implying these criminals are college students?) And I havn't taken a college class in about 20 years or more.

Don't you think your wild assumptions are illogical and irrelevant to the discussion we are having?

You take out all the baseless assumptions in your post and we are not left with much.

I was here when Robin Wilson was here, I was in college then, and it was way more wild than it is now. Chico was the number 1 party school in the country in those days, and we always made the top 5 at least. Chico State never even makes the list anymore.

And yes Chico is better economically and more economically viable than other valley towns. You say I should go visit them, as if I havn't. LOL. What do you know about Oroville, Red Bluff, Orland, Willows, Willaims, Colusa, Corning, and even Redding and Yuba City?

Chico is way better off than all of those places economically and has way more culture, in terms of theater, book stores (try finding a book store in Yuba City), Restaurant choices, live music choices, etc, etc. The fact that you scoff at the idea of chico having a more varied culture than these other valley towns just kind of demonstrates that you don't seem to know them very well.
Local

Clearlake, CA

#14 Mar 20, 2013
Crickets wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you assume an awful lot. I have never burned furniture in the street, I rarely drink, I don't like the "kind of scum that follow and prey on our kids, in fact (are you implying these criminals are college students?) And I havn't taken a college class in about 20 years or more.
Don't you think your wild assumptions are illogical and irrelevant to the discussion we are having?
You take out all the baseless assumptions in your post and we are not left with much.
I was here when Robin Wilson was here, I was in college then, and it was way more wild than it is now. Chico was the number 1 party school in the country in those days, and we always made the top 5 at least. Chico State never even makes the list anymore.
And yes Chico is better economically and more economically viable than other valley towns. You say I should go visit them, as if I havn't. LOL. What do you know about Oroville, Red Bluff, Orland, Willows, Willaims, Colusa, Corning, and even Redding and Yuba City?
Chico is way better off than all of those places economically and has way more culture, in terms of theater, book stores (try finding a book store in Yuba City), Restaurant choices, live music choices, etc, etc. The fact that you scoff at the idea of chico having a more varied culture than these other valley towns just kind of demonstrates that you don't seem to know them very well.
You are absolutely correct. Chico state is a huge lift to the economic/cultural community. Hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars are dumped into the college every year. Only a moron would say otherwise.
Other communites would benefit greatly from such an investment.....however, there is simply not enough state money to ever do that.....so enjoy it while it is there.

The area around U.C. Davis benefits from the same sources. Nice little downtown and a thriving economy. Take away the college, and you end up with a dumpy little farm town.
Crickets

Williams, CA

#15 Mar 20, 2013
Weird that we agree, but I second everything you said. Nice for a change.
Local

Clearlake, CA

#16 Mar 20, 2013
Crickets wrote:
Weird that we agree, but I second everything you said. Nice for a change.
It is only common sense. I think that we agree for different reasons, but we agree on the end result having a college in a community.
The advantages overwhelm the disadvantages by far.

The person you were debating with is an angry old fool who probably lives by the college and doesn't like dealing with college age people.
a selfish, shortsighted old fool who cares not about the health of the overall community......he cares only about himself and his liberal ways(unless these liberal ideas intrude upon his own selfishness)
For example: If these homeless people camp out(defecate) in his backyard, watch how fast he condemns the homeless.

I use common sense all of the time.
You should try it more often.
Annoyed

Cottonwood, CA

#17 Mar 20, 2013
Crickets wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'm saying is having a bunch of goofy students draws the criminal element like y-k-w draws flies. No?

As far as baseless assumptions, young man, perhaps you should think more, and talk less. Yes, I remember how the police were attacked and fires set (how very mature) and Robin Wilson had to take Pioneer Days out in back and shoot it. OH YES, how wonderful for our city.

And now??? Used to be we only averaged one student death per year and it's been closer to 4 or5 these days, what the hell is going on? Is this what you think of as "better?". Is it the drugs?

And now no alcohol on the river (how about that-Glenn grew up); that's a step in the right direction; too bad someone had to die to rattle their cage, too bad some don't care. We need more actions to discourage alcoholism.
Annoyed

Cottonwood, CA

#18 Mar 20, 2013
Crickets wrote:
<quoted text>
no, sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I was not referring to the defecation part at all. I was agreeing that Students do cost the city money but I was pointing out that they bring more benefit than cost so you end up with a net gain.........ie a problem other valley towns would love to have.
You must be right, it must cost very little to keep (what is it? 8 to 10 full time police X $200,000.00+) coming out of taxpayer's pockets! Now I'd agree some clothing stores and bars may be making A LOT of money but unless you're willing to work for minimum w/o benefits you don't get any of it. I'm sure we could use a few less bars.

It's not worth it for ordinary taxpayers families.
annoyed

Paradise, CA

#20 Mar 21, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
It is only common sense. I think that we agree for different reasons, but we agree on the end result having a college in a community.
The advantages overwhelm the disadvantages by far.
The person you were debating with is an angry old fool who probably lives by the college and doesn't like dealing with college age people.
a selfish, shortsighted old fool who cares not about the health of the overall community......he cares only about himself and his liberal ways(unless these liberal ideas intrude upon his own selfishness)
For example: If these homeless people camp out(defecate) in his backyard, watch how fast he condemns the homeless.
I use common sense all of the time.
You should try it more often.
Not a single truth in all the drivel from your slack brain.
You should get an award: BEST MORON
Who coaches you (?) hereisoneidiot? Or are you just brothers?
Local

Clearlake, CA

#21 Mar 21, 2013
annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a single truth in all the drivel from your slack brain.
You should get an award: BEST MORON
Who coaches you (?) hereisoneidiot? Or are you just brothers?
Hmmm. ok grumpy, let's do some basic math.
For argument sake, let's assume that the City of Chico spends an extra $1,000,000.00 to patrol the Chico campuses(doubtful since they have their own security), so we are just talking about a few instances in the surrounding areas.

The budget for the college measures in the hundreds of millions of dollars per year....and the spin off jobs from the college total into the thousands(at least).

Like crickets wrote. The benefits outweigh the liabilities ten times over........unless you are a selfish old fool who just wants to be left to his miserable self....because he hates young people.
IMHO, you have 2 choices.
Move your residence, or do the honorable thing.......seppuku.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 18 min KiMare 200,949
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 51 min Frijoles 69,373
worldwide fear chaos and U.S. failure 1 hr tBaggers Drunks 3
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 2 hr Blazing saddles 7,954
South Carolina House speaker indicted on nine c... 3 hr enter username 12
Judges recommend $1.4B penalty against PG&E 5 hr News 7
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 6 hr brewed 5,070
•••
•••
•••

Vina Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Vina People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••