Deal clears way for Americus sale

Deal clears way for Americus sale

There are 12 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 24, 2009, titled Deal clears way for Americus sale. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Allentown officials and the owner of the Americus Center hotel have reached an agreement that clears the way for a sale of the building to Chicago developers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Kooper

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Mar 24, 2009
Now if the HOtel Traylor could be sold and restored...how great would that be for the city?
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#2 Mar 24, 2009
"....The developers plan to gut the 13-story building and reopen it with commercial space and residential housing as part of the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts chain, Glenn Udell told The Morning Call in February....."

I hope they succeed, however one has to ask about parking over a block away and the residents/workers having to run the gauntlet of various criminals and other unsavory types that inhabit Hamilton Street...

Especially on rainy, pouring days....

But then, the feasibility of putting a parking deck at the former Corporate Plaza site is very unlikely given what happened to the structure in 1993....
bethlehem

Bethlehem, PA

#3 Mar 24, 2009
Or rooms for rent by the hour or whatever
Sally

Macungie, PA

#4 Mar 24, 2009
The parking lot on 7th Wouldn't be used for this project. There are already two deck half a block away at 6th & Linden.

The lot on 7th is just a little something to sweeten the deal.
Wont happen

Englishtown, NJ

#5 Mar 24, 2009
Needs Grant money? Chicago developer? Right, I predict that this sale, if it goes through, is Mendelson 2.
hadenough

Emmaus, PA

#6 Mar 24, 2009
If I had known the government was gonna pay to do the place up, I'd have bought it!
moral hazard

Doylestown, PA

#7 Mar 24, 2009
David-1206 wrote:
"....The developers plan to gut the 13-story building and reopen it with commercial space and residential housing as part of the Wyndham Hotels and Resorts chain, Glenn Udell told The Morning Call in February....."
I hope they succeed, however one has to ask about parking over a block away and the residents/workers having to run the gauntlet of various criminals and other unsavory types that inhabit Hamilton Street...
Especially on rainy, pouring days....
But then, the feasibility of putting a parking deck at the former Corporate Plaza site is very unlikely given what happened to the structure in 1993....
David, your bitterness is showing. If you really "hope they succeed," you wouldn't be making wildly inaccurate statements about "criminals and other unsavory types" on Hamilton St. It's obvious you haven't visited downtown in a long time; why do you feel the need to keep putting it down? Those of us who still live in the city and care about it's future don't appreciate your trash talk. Allentown will never go back to being what it was when you were young. That doesn't make it a bad place.
David-1206

Atlanta, GA

#8 Mar 24, 2009
moral hazard wrote:
<quoted text>
David, your bitterness is showing. If you really "hope they succeed," you wouldn't be making wildly inaccurate statements about "criminals and other unsavory types" on Hamilton St. It's obvious you haven't visited downtown in a long time; why do you feel the need to keep putting it down? Those of us who still live in the city and care about it's future don't appreciate your trash talk. Allentown will never go back to being what it was when you were young. That doesn't make it a bad place.
Who else walks along Hamilton Street these days?

Certainly it isn't to go shopping
Black Hole Resident

Quakertown, PA

#9 Mar 24, 2009
Call me a pessimist, but who in their right mind is going to develop a property like this into a nice hotel with nice offices and retail uses? Who would stay there and why? Mark my words, this aint Bethlehem and this project will either not happen or will be a loser.
never never land

Blandon, PA

#10 Mar 24, 2009
Black Hole Resident wrote:
Call me a pessimist, but who in their right mind is going to develop a property like this into a nice hotel with nice offices and retail uses? Who would stay there and why? Mark my words, this aint Bethlehem and this project will either not happen or will be a loser.
You are right it is not Bethlehem but, Bethlehem is just as bad as Allentown.
PSU Student

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Mar 31, 2009
Yeah, when you ignore all the positive development in Allentown, it's easy to be a pessimist.
RASBUTON

Easton, PA

#12 Mar 31, 2009
PSU Student wrote:
Yeah, when you ignore all the positive development in Allentown, it's easy to be a pessimist.
what positive development uptown, what about the community that pays the bills around here our communities monies going to the beer joint under ppl new building or the brew works were does that help with the community as a whole. thats right special ED and not only jerkoffsky have there ageda for allentown down the tubes with allentown

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villanova Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ritzenthaler buys kitchen and cleaning firm Tes... (Sep '08) May 21 AlisaSnow 36
News Danny s Barbershop, at 113 W. 4th St. in Bridge... May 15 Chelsie 1
Tristin Fish the hypocrite May 7 Crazy train 2
News How a Main Line payday lender used an Indian tr... Apr '18 Chestnut Ridge 1
Sid Mark to RETIRE (Apr '17) Apr '18 Stephen 3
Mayor a Joke, Crook, Commited Adultry (Dec '07) Jan '18 Grim Reaper 12
News Morning snow causing 'bumper car show' on local... Dec '17 rubber meets the ... 1

Villanova Jobs

Personal Finance

Villanova Mortgages