Benny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

Calaboose, hoosegow, pokey, slammer, clinker, probably a lot more. Mountains are white, some snow on the roads and in yards but I think it's over.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

I now have some snow on my porch,also the road is covered in snow,and the driveway.I have been going outside a lot this evening,what we have on the porch is very powdery and nice,probable the kids will be disapointed there is not more of it.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

A jail is also called a calaboose, but mainly in then West and South.

What's the history of "hoosegow"?
Though hoosegow, which means 'a jail', is found in mysteries, is is chiefly used in Westerns.

The word is an Anglicization of Mexican Spanish juzgao, a variant of juzgado, which also means 'jail'. This word is a borrowing from Standard Spanish juzgado 'a courtroom; panel of judges', the past participle of juzgar 'to judge', from Latin judicare.

Hoosegow doesn't have that many related forms; some rare ones are gow 'a jail', and hoose and hoosegow as verbs meaning 'to jail'. Despite the superficial similarity in spelling, the word jug 'a jail'; 'to jail' is not related; it's a figurative use of jug 'large container with cap and narrow neck'.

The word hoosegow is first found in English in 1908.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Cyndy,Well look outside,we truly got our blanket of snow,that you were hopeing for.I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am,makes me feel like a kid again every time I see snowfall,and even more so when it covers the ground.John,Most of the folks in Fullerville called a jail a pokey,I think mostly us kid called it a callaboose,mainly because Marie and I called it Callaboose,The adults put the fear in us about going near it.So we looked at it from afar,it was in full view of Marie's house's front porch.,when the lights were on in there,we would suppose and guess who might be in there.We had big imaginations.After I grew up I went and got up close and I personally think it was only put there as a statement only.I never once saw anyone jailed in that little callaboose.My courousity kept me watching,even when I was little,my Grandparents lived in that house closest to the cotton mill and callaboose.
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

John, I must say I am quite impressed. I always knew you were smart but you never cease to amaze me. I use to have a huge crush on you in 9th grade. You were older than me but we had a chorus class together. Mr. Mays was the teacher.
John In North Carolina wrote:
A jail is also called a calaboose, but mainly in then West and South.
What's the history of "hoosegow"?
Though hoosegow, which means 'a jail', is found in mysteries, is is chiefly used in Westerns.
The word is an Anglicization of Mexican Spanish juzgao, a variant of juzgado, which also means 'jail'. This word is a borrowing from Standard Spanish juzgado 'a courtroom; panel of judges', the past participle of juzgar 'to judge', from Latin judicare.
Hoosegow doesn't have that many related forms; some rare ones are gow 'a jail', and hoose and hoosegow as verbs meaning 'to jail'. Despite the superficial similarity in spelling, the word jug 'a jail'; 'to jail' is not related; it's a figurative use of jug 'large container with cap and narrow neck'.
The word hoosegow is first found in English in 1908.

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Tina wrote:
John, I must say I am quite impressed. I always knew you were smart but you never cease to amaze me. I use to have a huge crush on you in 9th grade. You were older than me but we had a chorus class together. Mr. Mays was the teacher.<quoted text>
Do not be impressed. I am not so smart,I just know how to do good research. LOL. I guess it came from all the years being a cop and doing case law research on cases. Mr. Mays, I had not thought of him in years. I enjoyed taking chorus. I could not carry a tune in a bucket, but I tried. Ever seen a 54 year old man blush, well this one did when I read the term "huge crush on you" was used. Thanks for making my day!!!!
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

I don't think we had to carry too many tunes in buckets or out of buckets. I think Mr. Mays used our class time to plan stuff for the band and we just kind of got credit for a study hall. If I remember correctly, you would have blushed back then too if you had only known. I'm so glad I made your day!
<quoted text>Do not be impressed. I am not so smart,I just know how to do good research. LOL. I guess it came from all the years being a cop and doing case law research on cases. Mr. Mays, I had not thought of him in years. I enjoyed taking chorus. I could not carry a tune in a bucket, but I tried. Ever seen a 54 year old man blush, well this one did when I read the term "huge crush on you" was used. Thanks for making my day!!!!

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Tina wrote:
I don't think we had to carry too many tunes in buckets or out of buckets. I think Mr. Mays used our class time to plan stuff for the band and we just kind of got credit for a study hall. If I remember correctly, you would have blushed back then too if you had only known. I'm so glad I made your day! <quoted text>
Yeah, it was not one of the "hardest" classes I ever took. But it was a fun class to take. Now if I had only studied harder maybe I could have been a star!!! Only kidding.......

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Have any of you folks that graduated from Villa Rica High registered on the alumni site? I have hooked up with some of the folks from the 1974 class and recognized some of the other folks from classes ahead and behind me. I was just checking the site out and another classmate has come online, so I sent him an email. Here is the link to the site if you would like to register. You have to be registered to view the site as it is set up. http://www.alumniclass.com/villarica...
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

I just registered. I was in the class of 1976.
Have any of you folks that graduated from Villa Rica High registered on the alumni site? I have hooked up with some of the folks from the 1974 class and recognized some of the other folks from classes ahead and behind me. I was just checking the site out and another classmate has come online, so I sent him an email. Here is the link to the site if you would like to register. You have to be registered to view the site as it is set up. http://www.alumniclass.com/villarica...

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

Judged:

Tina wrote:
I just registered. I was in the class of 1976.<quoted text>
FAINT!!!
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Faint??
<quoted text>FAINT!!!
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Oh, I gotcha. You figured out who I am.
Tina wrote:
Faint?? <quoted text>
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

I couldn't read your email on the alumni site. You can email me at catlover24_7@yahoo.com
<quoted text>FAINT!!!

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Judged:

Tina wrote:
Oh, I gotcha. You figured out who I am.<quoted text>
BINGO!!
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

John, Are you still playing BINGO?

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

Judged:

Yes, Tina. I finally won a round!!!
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

Didn't take long, did it?
Yes, Tina. I finally won a round!!!

“Home In Georgia Now”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

Judged:

Tina wrote:
Didn't take long, did it?<quoted text>
Started the game in about 1973
Tina

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

That game of Bingo should be in Guinness Book of World Records.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Villa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 7 min Synergy 52,139
down with isreal 42 min Whitey 2
$39M Foxhall Conference Center 1 hr Pinecone 10
Mayor's car 2 hr DC Taxpayer 3
Alert Winston Residents!!! 3 hr Wondrin 2
Crossroads Church 4 hr concerned 38
GCA services 12 hr Queen Elizabeth 5

Search the Villa Rica Forum:
•••

Villa Rica News Video

•••
•••

Villa Rica Jobs