|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

Judged:

Saving the old Fullerville jail.
Hidden off the Fullerville community’s main thoroughfare is an old, square building, not much bigger than a walk-in closet that few outside Villa Rica even know exists.
Visible between two buildings in a curve on Rockmart Road is the old jail that served the Fullerville community for about a century. The building, which dates to 1828, features one window with iron bars and a single opening that is missing a door. Though one can see the old whitewashed building now if they know where to look, until a couple of years ago weeds and brush threatened to take the building over.
“It was so grown up over there, you couldn’t even see it,” City Manager Larry Wood said.
The Villa Rica Police Department originally took on the task to clean up the jail, but the project didn’t get very far due to a lack of community involvement.
“We didn’t do a whole lot other than clean up around it and paint it,” police Chief Michael Mansour said.“We were going to try to take it back to as close as it was and put things in it that would have been found there, but we didn’t get a lot of response.”
Former Fullerville resident Perry “Bill” Bailey has taken up the charge to keep the Fullerville jail from deteriorating beyond repair. Bailey, who has been working on the project for two years as part of a book he’s writing on the history of Fullerville, been able to track down through county property records that the building was first constructed in 1828.
Bailey has also found through talking to Fullerville residents that the jail was originally constructed of wood, but it burned down and was replaced with the concrete structure that stands today.
“The Fullerville Jail is a historic landmark in the Fullerville community with lots of history behind it,” Bailey said.
“I’m serious about this; I want something done. If I have to do it myself and organize a committee myself I’ll go to that extent because I think something needs to be done. The interest is certainly there in the community.”
Bailey, who now lives in Alabama, recently contacted Wood to find out what could be done to save the city-owned jail from being lost due to neglect and was told that the city could set up a restricted tax-deductible fund specifically for the jail reclamation project.
“We already qualify and already have similar funds, such as the fund for our gold mine museum,” Wood said.
In a recent excursion to Villa Rica to research his book, Bailey went to take pictures of the jail building and found that without a door it’s holding water and there are no lights inside for visitors to be able to see the interior. Aside from correcting those problems, Bailey would like to have a small parking lot placed in front of the jail for visitors, as well as some type of landscaping placed around it and a sign put up to turn it into a historical attraction.
“I’m looking for volunteers to raise money for the Fullerville jail restoration,” he said.“Also, people may try contacting their city, county, and state officials to see how much help they are willing to help us out.”
Anyone interested in helping with this effort, or with personal stories they would like to share about Fullerville for Bailey’s book, may contact him. Bailey has reserved the meeting room at the Villa Rica Public Library on June 6 and June 20, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., to conduct interviews for his book with anyone interested in providing information. No appointment is necessary and anyone willing to come forward to talk about Fullerville is welcome. Those interested can also bring pre-record or pre-taped interviews.
http://www.times-georgian.com/articles/2009/0...
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

Judged:

Fullerville needs a park out there in the village ,With a plaque honoring those who once lived out there,Maybe a picnic area And some flowers and benches.A nice quiet place,In front of the cotton mill would be the perfect place,Under those shade tree.Maybe some bricks that we could put there in honor of our loved ones who have passed away,And we could make a beutifull place there to gather and talk.Does anyone like that idea?we need to do this.We could buy benched,different families and place names on them to honor all these great folks made a difference.
Ernest Everett Blevins

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Judged:

As unofficial city historian and local historic preservationist, I heard that the police department had an officer attempt to take care of the jail unfortunatly I have heard that there was some of the historic fabric removed (and whereabouts unknown). The last time I visisted the Fullerville Jail it had both its front door and its jail gate. Pretty much the only thing missing was the pot bellied stove which you can see the scar through the roof of the location.
The city also has the wrong dates on the sign identifying Fullerville although its 1911 date is okay as there was settlement there the city did not incorporte until 1916.
I would like to see better, and proper care of this historical property including restortation of the removed door(s).
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

I wish you lots of luck with that,I have been unable to get any of the kids I grew up with to get on my thread here on the forum.I have had 5 very nice people come onto the forum and chat.They were people I know,and some Ive met on here.Not one person I grew up with in Fullerville has even said hello,What is that about people? I know you all are not dead yet.How about saying "hello".I would love to hear from you.I really do appreciate those of you that have said "hello",Thank you all.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

most people who live in fullerville are more into liquor and inbredding than computers.Most cant write, or speak a complete sentence.A wonderful day in fullerville is sitting on the front porch waving at everyone who goes by and killing off a fifth of jack.,and having a yard sale
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

You absulutely don't have a clue.I dont know so much about what goes on out Fullerville nowadays.But Fullerville is a place where I grew up.And what you discribed is just the opposite of the way Fullerville was during my growing up time.You would likly see prayer meetings going on those front porchs.If someone was needy or sick the whole village would raly around you,I know because I was a sick child part of my growing up time.You would not beleave the outpouring of love shown to me.Don't be cutting down on the place where I grew up.Sounds like you just don't know.
Sweet Thang

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Sandra, You need to get your head out of the sand and admit that there was a lot of "bootlegging" going on during those days. You were probably told to keep quiet but that doesn't change the fact that it was a very big part of Fullerville life. People need to know the truth, not some pipe dream that you have between your ears. Bootlegging is not so bad. Some people would have starved if they hadn't done it. I could name names, but I won't at this time.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Sweet Thang wrote:
Sandra, You need to get your head out of the sand and admit that there was a lot of "bootlegging" going on during those days. You were probably told to keep quiet but that doesn't change the fact that it was a very big part of Fullerville life. People need to know the truth, not some pipe dream that you have between your ears. Bootlegging is not so bad. Some people would have starved if they hadn't done it. I could name names, but I won't at this time.
ride up hwy 101 thru fullerville and you will see alot of inbred people also
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Sandra Barber Rabern wrote:
You absulutely don't have a clue.I dont know so much about what goes on out Fullerville nowadays.But Fullerville is a place where I grew up.And what you discribed is just the opposite of the way Fullerville was during my growing up time.You would likly see prayer meetings going on those front porchs.If someone was needy or sick the whole village would raly around you,I know because I was a sick child part of my growing up time.You would not beleave the outpouring of love shown to me.Don't be cutting down on the place where I grew up.Sounds like you just don't know.
maybe you need to take another drank sister, your buzz is wearing off or you have gotton ahold of some bad drugs
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

John,I don'd drink,And I don't do drugs.I was a little girl when I lived in Fullerville.And this is the way I saw things.I did go all over the village on my Bike,And I never saw anyone selling anything out there.I am telling my story for my children and grandchildren.Allmost all of my family have died.I am getting older also.I led a sheltered life growing up.But I knew the village well.I am sorry if my story offends you.I don't know what I did to get all this started.My intentions are good,I do have an aunt left and some cousins,I do not want my family upset about this.My aunt is in her ninties.Please stop this.I do not know you and I do not understand.
Jennifer

Dallas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Ignore ignorance Mrs. Raburn. It's obvious that these people have nothing better to do but spread gossip and put you down by their ridiculous accusations in order to satisfy their own insecurities. Just skip over their comments and pray that God gives them knowledge since they obviously have done. We enjoy your Stories so just keep telling them. They can choose not to read them if they don't like them!

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Jennifer wrote:
Ignore ignorance Mrs. Raburn. It's obvious that these people have nothing better to do but spread gossip and put you down by their ridiculous accusations in order to satisfy their own insecurities. Just skip over their comments and pray that God gives them knowledge since they obviously have done. We enjoy your Stories so just keep telling them. They can choose not to read them if they don't like them!
AMEN! The last perfect place on earth was the "Garden of Eden" so you can rest assured that if you look close enough you will find issues where every one lives or has lived. However that being said there are many good memories of Fullerville and the Villa Rica area to be shared by many without stooping to making degrading remarks in regards to someones post.
pam

Senoia, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

John In North Carolina wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN! The last perfect place on earth was the "Garden of Eden" so you can rest assured that if you look close enough you will find issues where every one lives or has lived. However that being said there are many good memories of Fullerville and the Villa Rica area to be shared by many without stooping to making degrading remarks in regards to someones post.
John (Moe), Keep your memories alive and posted so I can learn more about what you remember. I purchased the old Waldrop home place on N Dogwood St in 1990. I sold it in 2006. I really enjoyed the area.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

I am allways wishing that I still lived out there.I was so happy.And there was a great sence of community,Love and care one for the other.Every time I go out there I feel like Im home again.
Debbie

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2009

Sandra, Maybe if there was enough interest in the jail and it was a success, there would later be a park. I think a park is a wonderful idea. You could even go ahead and be thinking of some of the people's names who could be on the park just in case the future holds a park for Fullerville. We need to do whatever we can to make sure Fullerville, the people who lived there, and the hard working lives they led are not forgotten. There needs to be something left behind for future generations who may never experience a place like Fullerville.
Sandra Barber Rabern wrote:
Fullerville needs a park out there in the village ,With a plaque honoring those who once lived out there,Maybe a picnic area And some flowers and benches.A nice quiet place,In front of the cotton mill would be the perfect place,Under those shade tree.Maybe some bricks that we could put there in honor of our loved ones who have passed away,And we could make a beutifull place there to gather and talk.Does anyone like that idea?we need to do this.We could buy benched,different families and place names on them to honor all these great folks made a difference.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

Debbie,I do wish there was more interest in Fullerville.I think the ideal place for a park would be in front of the cotton Mill.There are other places the pasture that was below my house.I kinda thought there in front of the mill because it is on Rockmart rd.Which is widely traveled.I talked to someone I grew up with about a get together,And she told me most people were dead from there.The younger people I have been in contact with,Are very interested in Fullerville and the VIlla Rica area.And there are some of us still alive.
Rick Parker

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Judged:

Sandra, Please tell me you did not die! I have not seen a post from you in a while . This is getting very interesting to say the least. The history of Fullerville must live. If not for the passerby's but for the lonely black family with the pig on Rockmart Rd.
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Rick,I post prety often on here.I am glad you are interested,Please tell your your storys about Fullerville.I would love to read them.No I am still alive and kicking.Thank you for your concern.
Penny

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

What's the latest on the jail?
Sandra Barber Rabern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

The last time I looked it was still there,and needs a fresh paint job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of64
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Villa Rica Discussions

Search the Villa Rica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 min The WB 47,524
Two Charged for Dumping Body in Well (Aug '07) 51 min bobbysaunt 445
Fishing hole in Douglasville (Jul '08) 2 hr Whitney jones 26
what has happened ? 2 hr Polemics 3
Officer departures are due to pay and toxic lea... 6 hr yep 3
If you could say one thing to Mayor Persons.... 6 hr Randy Rider - blog 26
Would you support a tax increase... 10 hr insanity 12
•••
•••

Villa Rica News Video

•••
Villa Rica Dating

more search filters