Found sinkhole under my foundation

Found sinkhole under my foundation

Posted in the Villa Rica Forum

Jimbo

Toledo, OH

#1 Dec 31, 2011
I purchased my first home in villa rica 2 months ago. It was built 12 years ago. Before i purchased it, it had a crack in the garage floor which i had evaluated by an engineer at the request of my mortgage company. The results of the report stated that the slab cracked due to poor drainage and an improperly routed downspout. I purchased the house and corrected the drainage. In doing so i found a 4ft deep by 3ft accross hole that partly extended under my foundation. The home is a 1 story ranch on a slab. I assumed the hole was from the water eroding the soil from the poor drainage and filled the hole, compacted it, cut my slab in the area it was cracked, and filled with concrete. Now a month later i located another large hole underneath my flowerbed that extends underneath my garage. I located it by pounding rebar into the ground to find any cavities because i noticed a crack in my sidewalk had grown. It is obvious im dealing with more than a gutter and water issue. I believe its a construction debris burial site due to the color of the soil in and around the holes is black. Im aware my homeowners insurance most likely wont cover it, and im hesitant on who to talk to as i think its possible the whole house could be condemmed. I purchased the home as a hud. Has anyone been in a similar situation as im not sure the direction i need to go.
Dmearco

Marietta, GA

#2 Dec 31, 2011
Jimbo wrote:
I purchased my first home in villa rica 2 months ago. It was built 12 years ago. Before i purchased it, it had a crack in the garage floor which i had evaluated by an engineer at the request of my mortgage company. The results of the report stated that the slab cracked due to poor drainage and an improperly routed downspout. I purchased the house and corrected the drainage. In doing so i found a 4ft deep by 3ft accross hole that partly extended under my foundation. The home is a 1 story ranch on a slab. I assumed the hole was from the water eroding the soil from the poor drainage and filled the hole, compacted it, cut my slab in the area it was cracked, and filled with concrete. Now a month later i located another large hole underneath my flowerbed that extends underneath my garage. I located it by pounding rebar into the ground to find any cavities because i noticed a crack in my sidewalk had grown. It is obvious im dealing with more than a gutter and water issue. I believe its a construction debris burial site due to the color of the soil in and around the holes is black. Im aware my homeowners insurance most likely wont cover it, and im hesitant on who to talk to as i think its possible the whole house could be condemmed. I purchased the home as a hud. Has anyone been in a similar situation as im not sure the direction i need to go.
you must have bought a house in mirror lake.There is alot of cover up over there.Alot of 10 cent millionaires live there.Its an old area behind the black section known as the crack that was undeveloped and someone went in and built a bunch of over priced houses.You probably live in the lot where the trash was buried.Where is this house at?I can tell you what used to be there.I am a life long resident of 72 years here.
Jimbo

Toledo, OH

#3 Jan 1, 2012
It's off of fairfield rd
street legal

Marietta, GA

#4 Jan 1, 2012
I know the person who developed that subdivision and built it.Dont think about going after him, you will have to dig him up
Sandra Barber Rabern

Villa Rica, GA

#5 Jan 2, 2012
I think that buried debree on construction sites is a common practice.This should be illegal.Builders need to be fined and held accountable when this is done!We have those huge containers that should be used instead.They might cost a little.I think the reputation of a builder would be important enough to afford the cost of having containers brought out to building sites.Certainly this would also save the new homeowner a fortune in costs later when this debree surfaces.I saw this happen in the neighborhood I lived in while in Douglasville,One of my neighbors lost a nice swimming pool due to buried debree resurfacing some years after building of the subdivision.Homes are a huge investment to buyers,Reputable builders would not bury debree,if they take any pride in their construction.
JohnJ

Villa Rica, GA

#6 Jan 26, 2012
Welcome to Villa Rica. I bought a house 12 years old built by a custom home builder! He has wires running 3" deep just burried all around the house. The gross incompetence is amazing throughout his work. Most of it most be illegal then and now.
My question is when you build a house the town has to come and inspect each phase. This is for our safety. How does this stuff fly? Can go to the town and lookup up the inspection dates and officer?
Mel

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Feb 20, 2012
http://www.ramjackusa.com can help with your foundation repairs in Raleigh.
wow

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jul 3, 2012
hope you get it fixed but you probably live in mirror lake

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barber shop Fri Charles 2
Vote For Donald Trump (Feb '16) Fri Simpson 32
mugshots and crime (Sep '11) Sep 22 Tolerman 8
H Clinton Demands USA take 65,000 Muslim Refugees Sep 22 Tolean 2
kingswood subdivision (Feb '14) Sep 22 Tolean 13
David McDade Sep 21 Kyle P 3
Cuban "Refugees" Abusing U.S. Welfare Sep 21 POLEMICS 4

Villa Rica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance