Looking for immediate work in Douglas...

Looking for immediate work in Douglasville

Posted in the Villa Rica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kim

Rome, GA

#1 Feb 14, 2006
I am new to the area and having a VERY difficult time finding work. I have filled out applications for businesses that say they are hiring until my fingers are falling off. No one will call me back even for an interview. I need to work NOW not three weeks from now.

I have never had such a difficult time finding work, ANY work in my life. What gives? I am 38 and have over 20 years experience working with the public in several different vocations which include but are not limited to veterinary medicine, food service industry,and construction.

If anyone can provide me with any leads to work that starts right away and is legally and morally acceptable, I would be ever so grateful. I am a hard worker, responsible, punctual, drug free and a quick learner with my own transportation. I have a resume and references available. My email is [email protected]

I need to stay in the Douglasville area as I am trying to support elderly parents with health concerns that were displaced by hurricane Rita.

Hoping for some Southern Hospitality.

Thanks in advance,
Kim
ZWEBPRO com

Morro Bay, CA

#2 Feb 19, 2006
Kim,

The job market in Douglasville can be difficult. Your best bet for quick work ... is to apply with some of the recruiters in Atlanta ... or at least anywhere closer to the edge of Douglas County ... like Thorton Rd. I know this isn't a pefect solution ... but, you might accept work at one of the fast food places while you continue to look for work in your field. Don't forgetto register for work through the major job sites as well.

Best Wishes
john

Morrow, GA

#3 Mar 2, 2006
Kim,

I live in the Douglasville area and there are really not alot of choices. Expand you search and be willing to drive throughout the atlanta area and you will do much better. Don't give up.

john
[email protected]
WakeUpCall

San Jose, CA

#4 Mar 3, 2006
Kim wrote:
I am new to the area and having a VERY difficult time finding work. I have filled out applications for businesses that say they are hiring until my fingers are falling off. No one will call me back even for an interview. I need to work NOW not three weeks from now.

I have never had such a difficult time finding work, ANY work in my life. What gives? I am 38 and have over 20 years experience working with the public in several different vocations which include but are not limited to veterinary medicine, food service industry,and construction.

If anyone can provide me with any leads to work that starts right away and is legally and morally acceptable, I would be ever so grateful. I am a hard worker, responsible, punctual, drug free and a quick learner with my own transportation. I have a resume and references available. My email is [email protected]

I need to stay in the Douglasville area as I am trying to support elderly parents with health concerns that were displaced by hurricane Rita.

Thanks in advance,
Kim
I'm older than you; moved to this area for reasons similar to yours. Almost 3 years ago. Work is very hard to find, but it's there. You have to be willing to work outside your career choice. At least until you find your niche. Temp agencies is definitely the way to go. BUT, be aware going in that the majority of jobs are in "light industrial." The majority of my background was office/computer graphics. Sign up with more than one agency. You might look at some of the "light industrial" companies (manufacturing; production), find out which agencies they use.

The other thing that seemed to help me is to get a copy of my own background via Douglas County Sheriff's office. The fee is $10; an agency will charge you $25.

Same thing with your DMV. Go to the Highway Patrol office in Carrollton. Pay $5-$8 for a 3-yr or 5-yr driving record. Here again, the agencies will charge you $25.00 if they do it.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your job search.
derrick

Roswell, GA

#5 Mar 3, 2006
I AM MOVING TO DOUGLASVILLE IN 2 WEEKS AND I NEED A JOB. I HAVE A DEGREE IN CULINARY ARTS BUT I WILL DO ANY KIND OF WORK. I AM A MALE AGE 40. MY MOTHER IS A KATRINA VICTIM AND I NEED TO HELP TAKE CARE OF OUR FAMILY. I AM NEWLY RELEASED FROM PRISON IN NEW ORLEANS. FOR A CRIME I DID NOT COMMIT BUT I DID SERVE TIME. AND I GET TURNED DOWN FOR A LOT OF JOBS. IF SOMEONE CAN JUST PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE.
Hold up Now

United States

#6 Mar 4, 2006
Chase Staffing hires for Sony Music average pay for a good clerk is 10-12.
OneSource hires for Maplehurst Bakery low pay but flexable 8.40 to start.
Kelly on thorton road is a better bet for clerical as is Availability right off thorton road.
Douglasville, Carrollton have online newspapers with job sections. Lithis springs (Thorton road) needs one as this is where all the decent jobs seems to be. The Riverside Drive area now called Austell has lots of businesses. Atlanta Bread Company needs people. southeastern pet, fulton paper company, associated packaging in douglasville along with Royal Metals. If you need some great flexability you might consider home health care as you can run home and check your folks between patients. They can usually keep you pretty close to home. Try Central Home Health in front of the Home Depot in Douglasville. also in that area Home Depot, Office Depot, Kia dealer. Good luck.
Linda Williams

United States

#7 Mar 5, 2006
Try local hospitals...ALWAYS A big demand...

linda

“Happy Happy, Joy Joy!”

Since: Mar 07

Douglasville, Ga

#8 Apr 12, 2007
wwwDOTdouglasjobsDOTcom

wwwDOTdouglascountysentinelDOT com

wwwDOTajcclassifiedsDOTcom

wwwDOTcelebratedouglascountyDO Tcom

wwwDOTsnagajobDOTcom

wwwDOTmonsterDOTcom

wwwDOTallretailjobsDOTcom

wwwDOTtimes-georgianDOTcom
Eliza

AOL

#9 Apr 13, 2007
Also try hotjobs dot com and also try the GA Department of Labor's website. Just search for it in Google.
Joyce

Huntsville, AL

#10 Jan 27, 2008
Its sad that our jobs have moved to China.
Charles Farley

Peachtree City, GA

#11 Jan 28, 2008
Consider seriously though that Douglasville is only 22 miles from downtown Atlanta. The county also offers one of the better van pool systems I've ever seen. I know commuting sucks, particularly in Atlanta, but there's real money to be made from it. I rarely see any jobs of substance offered in D'Ville. The bulk of the quick jobs dried up shortly after Katrina. Like it or not, Douglasville is a bedroom community with a few businesses attached here and there, it's not a bustling metropolis. Thankfully it's close to one though!

CF
Employed Thankfully

Powder Springs, GA

#12 Jan 28, 2008
Thanks to our overpaid non working Douglas County Development Authority, we have no good jobs here. Just low wage "slave" barely above minimum wage labor. You have to be degreed and a professional to make it around here. Otherwise it is Government or Schools.

The School system always needs cafeteria workers.
Otherwise get a phone books and start dialing for the dollars.

We have begged for years for Class A office spaces and Technology jobs, but seems no one can recruit them in or help them grow in our own backyard! But we can plan to build 140 million dollar jails well.

Wake up call Robert Reynolds - Go to work!
Job Tip

Douglasville, GA

#13 Jan 28, 2008
"Sweetie," there ain't no such thing as "Southern Hospitality" anymore. Those days are "Gone With the Wind." Folks around here are about tired of the 'hurricane victims.' I wouldn't mention that, just as a tip, if I were you. This ain't the same South it was a decade ago, not for the better either. Folks I talk to blame the 'victims' for taking what few jobs were in Douglasville.
Kim wrote:
If anyone can provide me with any leads to work that starts right away and is legally and morally acceptable, I would be ever so grateful. I am a

hard worker, responsible, punctual, drug free and a quick learner with my own transportation. I have a resume and references available. My email is [email protected]
Thanks in advance,
Kim
Job Tip

Douglasville, GA

#14 Jan 28, 2008
Go back to New Orleans. The last thing we need are more prison felons.
derrick wrote:
I AM MOVING TO DOUGLASVILLE IN 2 WEEKS AND I NEED A JOB. I HAVE A DEGREE IN CULINARY ARTS BUT I WILL DO ANY KIND OF WORK. I AM A MALE AGE 40. MY MOTHER IS A KATRINA VICTIM AND I NEED TO HELP TAKE CARE OF OUR FAMILY. I AM NEWLY RELEASED FROM PRISON IN NEW ORLEANS. FOR A CRIME I DID NOT COMMIT BUT I DID SERVE TIME. AND I GET TURNED DOWN FOR A LOT OF JOBS. IF SOMEONE CAN JUST PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE.
Charles Farley

Peachtree City, GA

#15 Jan 28, 2008
Oddly enough, with a felony AND a Culinary degree you should apply to Disney in Orlando. Disney is one of the most liberal employers on the planet and the turnover in food is substantial because so many folks springboard from there. Plus you'll get union protection if you value it.

Another thing, once you have a felony in America, it's a life sentence, America will NEVER forgive you. Any court case you are involved with will be tainted by it. Adopting unwanted children is almost impossible for anyone with a felony (even for bad checks, they're all the same). And when you get old, you will not be allowed to defend yourself with any kind of weapon. Some states allow you to vote, but voting is more like a civic obligation than an actual "right". So with a felony be prepared for the continual drone of the unforgiving nation. Doesn't matter if you become a minister or the Pope, with a felony you are marked for life in America. Stay OUT of trouble from now on.

CF
Joyce

Huntsville, AL

#16 Jan 28, 2008
Job Tip wrote:
"Sweetie," there ain't no such thing as "Southern Hospitality" anymore. Those days are "Gone With the Wind." Folks around here are about tired of the 'hurricane victims.' I wouldn't mention that, just as a tip, if I were you. This ain't the same South it was a decade ago, not for the better either. Folks I talk to blame the 'victims' for taking what few jobs were in Douglasville.
<quoted text>
Job tip, you say it well!! And you told it like it is. Yes we are the same old south we always have been. We hate and we go to church on Sunday because the bible tells us so. we had the kkk way back then but now we got our church that teach us to hate. Instead of teaching Love Thou Neighbor, they teach us to Hate Thou Neighbor. They teach us to forgive the crooked politicians and condemn the low man on the totem pole. As a southerner, I'm ashamed of a lot of people that represent the south.May God Bless!
someone who cares

Douglasville, GA

#19 Mar 8, 2008
It's hard i believe. I have never seen companies layoff people. My husband got layedoff from a really good job, i really loved the job, because it was a few minutes to get his job. It just got tighted up alot. After he got layedoff about 2months later the company layedoff a whole much of people off to!!!! My husband has been looking for jobs like crazy and still has not find a job yet!! I have been helping too! We have been on the interant and looking in the phonebook and asking people, etc.. I'm just afraid to lose everything, espically our house!!!!!!!
ditto

United States

#20 Mar 9, 2008
someone who cares wrote:
It's hard i believe. I have never seen companies layoff people. My husband got layedoff from a really good job, i really loved the job, because it was a few minutes to get his job. It just got tighted up alot. After he got layedoff about 2months later the company layedoff a whole much of people off to!!!! My husband has been looking for jobs like crazy and still has not find a job yet!! I have been helping too! We have been on the interant and looking in the phonebook and asking people, etc.. I'm just afraid to lose everything, espically our house!!!!!!!
I too lost my job, but took something "basic" ( 2 restaurant jobs making $.300 week)until I found a better one. May I suggest you and others do the same. Just do it! and then look for "the job" as you go. It Does take a while. Good Luck and remember, you are not the only ones in this mess!
someone who cares

Douglasville, GA

#21 Mar 9, 2008
ditto wrote:
<quoted text> I too lost my job, but took something "basic" ( 2 restaurant jobs making $.300 week)until I found a better one. May I suggest you and others do the same. Just do it! and then look for "the job" as you go. It Does take a while. Good Luck and remember, you are not the only ones in this mess!
Thank You for the advise!! We might do that until we can find something better. My family said it's seem back in the 1940's abouth the depresion(i am not for sure how to spell it), it seems to get bad. I told my family, you got to do, what you got to do sometimes. But thank you very much for the advice.
whyus

Winder, GA

#22 Mar 9, 2008
I'm sorry you lost your job, as an employer you might want to try to improve your skills in spelling and how to form a sentence. This reflects how much education you have or lack. When I was hiring I gave basic skills tests to over 100 applicates, all were from DC. I had to hire outside the county in order to get 5 people who could pass the basic skills test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No SPLOSH for Foxhole 18 min Tolerman 56
Winston Baseball 6 & Under Fall Ball Rules Wed anon 3
Police Scanner Wed RadioGeek 5
Dr. Kamal Kabakibou Atlanta GA (Feb '12) Jun 28 Raymond 29
Review: Deya's Dominican Hair Salon (Aug '11) Jun 23 Ellen 19
Douglas County Public Safety Alert Jun 22 Henry 20
D & B Pharmacy busted for illegal DRUGS 2 (Nov '11) Jun 21 Unknown 10

Villa Rica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance