Judged:

I am a firm believer in paying any and all lawful taxes. However with the decline in home values I decided this year to look very close at what my home is valued at. The house next door to me sold for $158,400 in May 2004. It was valued at $162,000+ and was foreclosed on and sold for $108,000 in Nov 2011. So now according to Ga Law OCGA 48-5-2(3) the maximum "Fair Market Value" (FMV) this year for that home will be the $108,000 a drop of $54,565.

So I did some research and found four (4) comparable sales in this area, including this one which sold one month before mine, two in Gold Creek, and one in Bremen. These sales ranged from $96,600 to 110,000. So my present value was $162,000+ according to Haralson County. So am I valued too high?? I think so. So here is what I did. Go to www.qpublic.net and when the page comes up click the link to the right that says Georgia Assessors Website. See if your county is on the site. If so log in and look up your property to see how they have it listed. One issue I found right off when I finally looked at my data was they had the square footage off from their measurements. So I printed the sketch from their site and wrote in my measurements. This is a common error from what my research revealed. But humans are doing the measuring and data entry so errors can happen. I DO NOT feel it was on purpose and am not pointing fingers at anyone. When you pull up your home look in the upper left of the page there is a link, "recent sales in area'" Open that link and find comparable sales. You want to be as close to age and size as possible. I printed off these items for presentation to the Board of Assessors. I then took these addresses and went to this site:

www.zillow.com

I pulled up their data on the sales in the area from the county site and also did a recent sales search from their site to see what value they currently have them listed at. I looked up my house too. Once again I printed out these items for presentation to the Board of Assessors.

You can wait until the assessment is mailed out in April and file an appeal by filling out form PT-311-A that can be found at this link:

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/ptd/adm/forms/pt.aspx

or you can fill out form PT-50-R found at the same site before the assessment is mailed. For more information please see this link and there is a sub-link for The Taxpayer Bill of Rights. I suggest reading it. I would also suggest going to LexisNexis at their site and look up the following code sections. OCGA 48-5-2/48-5-263 and 48-5-264.1 and read them. You will find the information worthwhile to know. If you elect to quote or use any of the code sections it is up to you. Here is that link:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/De...

This procedure is not complicated but will take a little time. However that being said it can be well worth it. Do not be stupid in valuing your home folks. Do not waste these folks time. Now for the legal items. I am NOT a lawyer and this is NOT to be taken as legal advice. All this information can be found by anyone with a computer and if you will call the Board of Assessors Office as I did to double check I was told exactly what to do. I am only sharing this because I believe we are taxed way too much in this country. We have had our rights slowly eroded away and many of the folks we elected have betrayed us by voting in tax increase after tax increase over the years. So it is time to stand up and pay only what we have to pay. Nothing more and nothing less.