bart90

Douglasville, GA

#1 May 19, 2013
By law what rights do homeowners have to defend themselves on their property if confronted by a dog that threatens them in Douglas County?

Since: Jul 07

Douglasville

#3 May 19, 2013
read the Georgia dangerous dog law and it will tell you. Have you called animal control? Are these neighbor dogs? There are leash laws in Douglas County, if these dogs are running free the owner could be issued a citation and go to court for it. And from someone who has spent a lot of time there lately it is not cheap!
jake kesey

Lithonia, GA

#4 May 20, 2013
Mugsy wrote:
read the Georgia dangerous dog law and it will tell you. Have you called animal control? Are these neighbor dogs? There are leash laws in Douglas County, if these dogs are running free the owner could be issued a citation and go to court for it. And from someone who has spent a lot of time there lately it is not cheap!
One bullet sounds cheaper! Problem solved
bart90

Douglasville, GA

#5 May 20, 2013
Mugsy wrote:
Thank You
Seriously

United States

#6 May 20, 2013
jake kesey wrote:
<quoted text>
One bullet sounds cheaper! Problem solved
a bullet for the owner or the dog

Douglasville

#7 May 20, 2013
and if he shoots the dog and it is not dangerous he goes to jail for a minimum of 3 years for animal cruelty. There are laws protecting animals and their owners, the best is to follow the law, have it on record that the are running loose and then if they come at you then you are covered.
jake kesey

Douglasville, GA

#10 May 21, 2013
Mugsy wrote:
and if he shoots the dog and it is not dangerous he goes to jail for a minimum of 3 years for animal cruelty. There are laws protecting animals and their owners, the best is to follow the law, have it on record that the are running loose and then if they come at you then you are covered.
I don't disagree, if a lab comes in my yard while the kids are playing I will follow the law. Insurance companies have a list of aggressive dogs that they will not cover: if any one of those come in my yard, game over. I don't care how we'll you've loved and trained your pit bull they are still aggressive by nature.

Douglasville

#11 May 21, 2013
jake kesey wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree, if a lab comes in my yard while the kids are playing I will follow the law. Insurance companies have a list of aggressive dogs that they will not cover: if any one of those come in my yard, game over. I don't care how we'll you've loved and trained your pit bull they are still aggressive by nature.
Oh you are preaching to the choir! My dog was pulled under the fence and badly injured by two pit bulls. I have been through h ell by trying to get justice. The pit bull rescue group posted false stories on their website about me, trying to make it out that I was doing this for noting but money (which where pulled down once the judge found the owner guilty). I was bullied, lied about and stalked by the rescue pit bull group. They tried to make it sound like I was lying and that it was my dog trying to go after the pits (as you see mine is a Boston Terrier). We have been in the court room the first Wednesday of every month since February. I have had to prove that it was the two pits fault, and finally with many thanks to the new management team at the animal shelter I was able too when they came out to take picture of the fence and one of the dogs came out from under the fence to try to get an the animal control officer.
jake kesey

Douglasville, GA

#12 May 21, 2013
Mugsy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh you are preaching to the choir! My dog was pulled under the fence and badly injured by two pit bulls. I have been through h ell by trying to get justice. The pit bull rescue group posted false stories on their website about me, trying to make it out that I was doing this for noting but money (which where pulled down once the judge found the owner guilty). I was bullied, lied about and stalked by the rescue pit bull group. They tried to make it sound like I was lying and that it was my dog trying to go after the pits (as you see mine is a Boston Terrier). We have been in the court room the first Wednesday of every month since February. I have had to prove that it was the two pits fault, and finally with many thanks to the new management team at the animal shelter I was able too when they came out to take picture of the fence and one of the dogs came out from under the fence to try to get an the animal control officer.
Wow, that's terrible. They sound like a bunch of thugs. Thanks for not giving up.
Leash Lover

Atlanta, GA

#13 May 21, 2013
They sell pepper spray/mace and tazers that will not kill an animal, but should deter it. I just want owners of ALL dogs to be responsible. If you love your dog, don't let it run crazy. It is dangerous out there!!
LaserDog

Douglasville, GA

#14 Oct 28, 2014
especially in Judge Bakers COurt, All he does is give people fines, I guess to help Animal Control since they are in such need of money. in his court you sre Guilty period !!!!!!! I was Fined for walking on a Public street, yes a PUBLIC STREET!!!!! Just last week, Oct 18 , 2014

Since: Aug 14

Douglasville, GA

#15 Oct 28, 2014
especially in Judge Bakers COurt, All he does is give people fines, I guess to help Animal Control since they are in such need of money. in his court you sre Guilty period !!!!!!! I was Fined for walking on a Public street, yes a PUBLIC STREET!!!!! Just last week, Oct 18 , 2014
LaserDog

Douglasville, GA

#16 Oct 28, 2014
I hopw it was Officer Cokrill the dog went after... he should not be a Dog Catcher
LaserDog

Douglasville, GA

#17 Oct 28, 2014
my HOA has been harrasing me so much, I have to video walking my dogs to show they are not aggressive & a neighbor called the police on me for videoing her daughter & said that i was a pervert....
raymond

Douglasville, GA

#18 Oct 28, 2014
Neabor out in corn crib had a pit I seen it tear apart a cat and eat it one day that pit come after me I took my shot gun and blew it apart them dogs is bad
LaserDog

Douglasville, GA

#19 Oct 31, 2014
There is no official breed of "Pit Bull" it came about from the dog fighters who thru them in a Pit. All dogs are by nature a bit aggressive. it all depends on the owner. i have know so-called Pit Bull owners & they can be the sweetest dogs. It all depends on how you raise them. I have an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is commonly viewed as a "PIT". She wants to be everyones friend. She is the sweetest dog, of course with me, she sleeps/cuddles with me. If someone comes to the house she does her job & barks, but once the person is welcomed in the house she is friendly.Again it is all up to the owner how they train their dog.
LaserDog

Douglasville, GA

#20 Oct 31, 2014
Douglas COunty Animal COntrol is in dire need of money & quite a few of the Officers are not very nice Officer Cokrill mainly, he says he was a cop for 4 years & still acts like one,, no professionalism in his conduct. Officer Hauser is very nice & Professional. They are a very misguided agency. They have me on an open "Stalking" Complaint, for walking my dogs on a Public Street. Because many of the residents on a certain street in my development grouped together & gave "False Information to the DOuglas County Sheriff." Saying my dogs Pee & Poop on everyones yard. Which is physically impossible for a dog to do their business in 5 yards in a row at the same time. And, we never walk the dogs on Private Property, we walk them on the Streets Public Right-Of-Way as it is on the Survey of the Development. These People think that they own the land all the way to the curb, not true. And they only pee on the Utility boxes which are on the Right-Of-Way. Maybe it is because we bought the last house in the community, which was banked owned since it was built in '09, so, we bought a brand new house, never lived in. And this year the HOA put new officers in place who are trying to run it like they have total power of all. Especially since there are less than 10 out of 35 homes that are owned by persons of "Not Color", reverse Racism. I could go on & on but I will not. i am sorry for your pet. Stay strong & keep Animal COntrol in place & do not let them run you over. Civil Suit is in the works….look out you idiots…..
Animal Lover

Douglasville, GA

#21 Nov 1, 2014
I don't think that allowing you pets to do their business in someone else's yard, right of way or not, is acceptable. It is rude and inconsiderate to say the least. Why not just let them do their business in your own yard and keep them out of neighbor's yards during walks?
Caianne

Douglasville, GA

#22 Nov 2, 2014
legalmania wrote:
The fines do not go to Animal Control - they go into a general fund that the politicians get to decide what they want to do with!
LaserDog

Douglasville, GA

#23 Nov 14, 2014
The DOuglas COunty Commissioners have established a "ANimal COntrol" Ordinance - it states "that a dog nedds sufficeint exercise according to it's size, breed, etc, to maintian their health, muscle strength & to be socialzed & non-agressive". So,we, owners of large dogs must walk our dogs to keep in thes quidlines. IN my sub-division of 30 homes with 12 empty lots & a Lake with a common area. We are surrounded by woods with wild animal of all kinds walking through the property leaving behind feces & my dogs being accused of it being thiers. But, to the point, we have a right of way as part of the roads, 10 feet from the curb towards a home. all of the homes property lines are at least 10 feet from the curb as noted in survey markers. This area is a PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY & can be used if an animal needs to go & then pick it up in a bag. ONe of my doge uses the empty lots which does not bother anyone & i pick it up. My other dog likes to go on the SOuth side of the Lake which the HOA Board suggests. As long as you pick it up there should not be any issue. FOr my HOA I am suggesting a Management COmpany to overesee the By-Laws so as to not have Personal Issues come about as we are having which is allowing "certain residents" to not abide the By-Laws & others to be "Harrassed" - My rommate was charged & fined for walking on the Right-Of-Way thanks to a "Useless" Lawyer, And a Part-Time Magistrate Baker who is just fining everyone to raise funds for DOuglas COunty Animal COntrol who is in dire need of money. You can house break your dog, but, when they are outdies on a leash,they smell & urinate whivh is what a dog does as his normal state of mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So bus or No bus 1 hr POLEMICS 6
News Ginger Ann McMichen Wellham 12 hr hmm 2
Douglasville is the new Atlanta Getto. 14 hr Tolerman 17
Review: Chapel Hill Family Dentistry - Ty G Jam... (Nov '08) 18 hr BadExperience 28
New Superintendent for DCSS (May '17) Feb 20 TaxPayer1 52
friend looking for section 8 in tributary Feb 19 taxpayer 112 9
News First elected black councilman reflects on serv... Feb 18 tax man 1

Villa Rica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Villa Rica Mortgages