Douglasville police facing deep budge...

Douglasville police facing deep budget cuts

There are 12 comments on the Sandy Springs Neighbor story from Jun 19, 2013, titled Douglasville police facing deep budget cuts. In it, Sandy Springs Neighbor reports that:

The Douglasville Police Department is facing some deep cuts in the proposed city budget of $8.86 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sandy Springs Neighbor.

Smarter then you

Hixson, TN

#3 Jun 22, 2013
Of course...the honest most qualified officers in the county. Thats smart.....idiots!
M is the Number

Douglasville, GA

#5 Jun 23, 2013
What's real nice is that city hall will be getting raises for sitting in air conditioned offices and officers who put their lives on the line, grin and bare it in the elements and miss most of their family activities are told that will not receive a raise.

Also, the officers training has been cut. Yet, they still find money to buy sunglasses for everyone, replace the old badge style with a new one, but trips for the upper admin to fly to Vegas and California, purchase large gas guzzling SUV's. It's BS! No wonder so many officers are leaving, morale sucks. It all rolls downing the officers from the one doing the dumping.

Semper fi? Only to himself.
veledran

Dallas, GA

#6 Jun 24, 2013
M is the Number wrote:
What's real nice is that city hall will be getting raises for sitting in air conditioned offices and officers who put their lives on the line, grin and bare it in the elements and miss most of their family activities are told that will not receive a raise.
Just some quick corrections:

"Some" people may be getting raises (part-timers that have been with the city for a few years do not).

I am not sure about all of them, but some of the offices are not being air conditioned.
Hung low

United States

#8 Jun 25, 2013
M is the Number wrote:
Also, the officers training has been cut. Yet, they still find money to buy sunglasses for everyone, replace the old badge style with a new one, but trips for the upper admin to fly to Vegas and California, purchase large gas guzzling SUV's. It's BS! No wonder so many officers are leaving, morale sucks. It all rolls downing the officers from the one doing the dumping.
Semper fi? Only to himself.
Don't forget the useless boots, new hats and a command center that he has wasted money on. Oh and all the pens and beer mugs with the command staffs name on them.
You sure about that

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jun 25, 2013
Smarter then you wrote:
Of course...the honest most qualified officers in the county. Thats smart.....idiots!
for a city to have its officers on the interstate writing speeding tickets instead of patrolling neighborhoods,businesses around town and answering calls tells me there is there isn't a lot to do. Especially when there is a county and state agency certainly capable of doing speed enforcement along this same stretch co highway. The most honest and qualified? Your exaggeration here leads me to believe otherwise.
ThoughtForTheDay

Norcross, GA

#11 Jun 26, 2013
Writing tickets generates revenue...
Slim jim

Pell City, AL

#12 Jun 26, 2013
ThoughtForTheDay wrote:
Writing tickets generates revenue...
true and no problem with that. However kind of hard to understand why the city is on the interstate (like today) when I'm sure there are other issues in town. Maybe not as profitable as for as revenue or as exciting as chasing down speeders but necessary nonetheless.
Scenario

Tucker, GA

#13 Jun 26, 2013
You sure about that wrote:
<quoted text>for a city to have its officers on the interstate writing speeding tickets instead of patrolling neighborhoods,businesses around town and answering calls tells me there is there isn't a lot to do. Especially when there is a county and state agency certainly capable of doing speed enforcement along this same stretch co highway. The most honest and qualified? Your exaggeration here leads me to believe otherwise.
Could it be possible that they are looking for something other than speeders? Ever listened to the scanner? Do you think crime only happens off the interstate? Do you think criminals dont try to escape via the interstate? They might be looking for a certain suspect vehicle. They get look outs to look for suspicious cars associated with other crimes. How else are they supposed to catch people if they aren't looking at the best escape route? They could be hunting a stolen vehicle. Could be looking for a drunk driver. Could be that they are searching for a wanted person. When a person commits armed robbery, theft, or any other major crime, many times they're going to take the interstate to get away. When you call in, as many do, to 911 and say "The car in front of me is drunk." Or "There is a man with road rage on the interstate." They have to go try and find that car, based on the callers description every single time. Even *GASP* on the interstate. If it's in the city, the city must handle it. Geography lesson: 1-20 is also in the city.

They could be waiting to intercept a high speed chase so you don't get killed by some maniac trying to get away. They could simply be trying to slow traffic down so that you can travel safely. Speed and car crashes are an issue too and can be just as dangerous. There are felons, drunks, drug smugglers, etc. on the interstate. All day and all night long.

The point is you never really know what's going on and things go on all around you that you don't know about because they handle it. You don't know what they're doing down there, nor what they are really looking for.
ummmm

Mcdonough, GA

#14 Jun 26, 2013
Slim jim wrote:
<quoted text>true and no problem with that. However kind of hard to understand why the city is on the interstate (like today) when I'm sure there are other issues in town. Maybe not as profitable as for as revenue or as exciting as chasing down speeders but necessary nonetheless.
Perhaps they were on the interstate today looking for the murderers who got away after robbing a jewelry store in villa rica and killing the owner!?!
You sure about that

Summerville, SC

#15 Jun 27, 2013
Scenario wrote:
<quoted text>
Could it be possible that they are looking for something other than speeders? Ever listened to the scanner? Do you think crime only happens off the interstate? Do you think criminals dont try to escape via the interstate? They might be looking for a certain suspect vehicle. They get look outs to look for suspicious cars associated with other crimes. How else are they supposed to catch people if they aren't looking at the best escape route? They could be hunting a stolen vehicle. Could be looking for a drunk driver. Could be that they are searching for a wanted person. When a person commits armed robbery, theft, or any other major crime, many times they're going to take the interstate to get away. When you call in, as many do, to 911 and say "The car in front of me is drunk." Or "There is a man with road rage on the interstate." They have to go try and find that car, based on the callers description every single time. Even *GASP* on the interstate. If it's in the city, the city must handle it. Geography lesson: 1-20 is also in the city.
They could be waiting to intercept a high speed chase so you don't get killed by some maniac trying to get away. They could simply be trying to slow traffic down so that you can travel safely. Speed and car crashes are an issue too and can be just as dangerous. There are felons, drunks, drug smugglers, etc. on the interstate. All day and all night long.
The point is you never really know what's going on and things go on all around you that you don't know about because they handle it. You don't know what they're doing down there, nor what they are really looking for.
nice try! You don't even believe that stuff you just wrote. If you do you are very naive. They are workin traffic-that's all. Sure you may stop an occasional drunk,someone wanted, susp.license etc........but sitting stationary,pointing a laser out the window at oncoming traffic is obvious. My point is this is very redundant because the county does it as well as GSP(not gasp). I would be a little ticked off if I came home and found I had been burglarized or had something taken from my business only to look down on I-20 and see them just sitting there holding a laser
ThoughtForTheDay

Norcross, GA

#17 Jun 27, 2013
Valid point; however, there are multiple divisions within all law enforcement agencies. While I agree the duty of all certified officers within the DPD is to serve and protect the citizens, and property within the city limits of Douglasville. The officers you see sitting stationary with a laser pointing out thieir window are doing their job as members of the traffic division. The duty of the patrol division is to respond to calls for service and initiate calls in an effort to detect, stop and apprehend violators of laws and ordinances in order to protect life and property. Not attempting to debate, but simply put, one division generates revenue and the other protects your revenue.
You sure about that

Pearl River, LA

#18 Jun 27, 2013
ThoughtForTheDay wrote:
Valid point; however, there are multiple divisions within all law enforcement agencies. While I agree the duty of all certified officers within the DPD is to serve and protect the citizens, and property within the city limits of Douglasville. The officers you see sitting stationary with a laser pointing out thieir window are doing their job as members of the traffic division. The duty of the patrol division is to respond to calls for service and initiate calls in an effort to detect, stop and apprehend violators of laws and ordinances in order to protect life and property. Not attempting to debate, but simply put, one division generates revenue and the other protects your revenue.
well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So bus or No bus 2 hr Bob 1
friend looking for section 8 in tributary 20 hr taxpayer 112 9
News First elected black councilman reflects on serv... Sun tax man 1
This morning (Jan '08) Sat Elen 25
driver's license and car tags (Jul '08) Feb 17 Akuz2 2
News Members discuss spending $140K on work at city ... Feb 17 Bob 6
News Panel: No pit bull restrictions (Oct '10) Feb 17 Roger 12

Villa Rica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance