Bo & The Weevils
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ronnie Williams

Colquitt, GA

#1 Mar 27, 2009
Does anyone have any info on a local group from back in the late 60's called Bo & The Weevils? They had a song that was played pretty heavily on the local stations. I think the name was Hurry up Greyhound. The only other thing I know is that the lead singer's last name was Allen. If anyone knows more about this group I would appreciate the info.
cricket

Alma, GA

#2 Mar 29, 2009
Is this the group you are talking about?
www.myspace.com/theboweevils - 118k -
Ronnie Williams

Colquitt, GA

#3 Apr 1, 2009
cricket wrote:
Is this the group you are talking about?
www.myspace.com/theboweevils - 118k -
nope the group I'm inquiring about was out in the 1960's and was from the Vidalia, GA area.
thanks for responding though!
Charlotte

Athens, GA

#4 Apr 6, 2009
Bo Allen was the lead singer. He passed away some years back.
Edward Tanner

Phenix City, AL

#5 Apr 28, 2009
Bo and the Weevils, and Beau Allen as a solo artist, had a handful of 45s (and an 8 track tape) in the late 60s. The biggest hit I know of was "My Time", originally on Allen Records (owned by Beau's dad) and then released on Scepter Records (I think). The song was No. 1 in Savannah for 6 weeks in 1968, I believe. One of their other tunes was featured on Psychedelic States: Georgia, a compilation of garage band recordings from the 60s. After the Weevils and Bo parted company, my band, The Ancestors,( www.theancestors.com ) backed Beau for several months. The 45s are still out there on ebay and webstores that cater to collectors. Bo died a good while back under what was described in the Wheeler County (GA.) newspaper as mysterious circumstances.
James

United States

#6 Sep 8, 2009
Try southerngaragebands.com and see if you can find them....I know the short guy with the guitar.
billy j rachels

Thomasville, GA

#7 Nov 29, 2009
i spent 35 years in radio and i worked with a member of weavels in 2972 name ken p. odum i thinl he played bass..the groups big song was leaving town on a fast greyhound..very good song..i hope this helps...billy j. rachels
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#8 Jan 14, 2010
I was a young US Army helicopter instructor pilot living in Sav., GA in the summer of 68 when "My Time" was a big local hit. I still have a good copy on 45 by Allen Records and would love to find a digital copy for my current iPod "playlist". Have located a downloadable version yet though. Still love the song and all the great memories of Sav. during my time there - 4/67 - 12/69.
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#9 Jan 14, 2010
Sorry, that should read "Haven't located......."
Ronnie Williams

Mora, NM

#10 Jan 22, 2010
Paul wrote:
I was a young US Army helicopter instructor pilot living in Sav., GA in the summer of 68 when "My Time" was a big local hit. I still have a good copy on 45 by Allen Records and would love to find a digital copy for my current iPod "playlist". Have located a downloadable version yet though. Still love the song and all the great memories of Sav. during my time there - 4/67 - 12/69.
I have "My Time" and a couple more of their songs in Mp3 format but the main one I liked which is "Greyhound", I haven't been able to locate.
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#11 Jan 22, 2010
Ronnie,
I never recall hearing the song "Greyhound", but have read it was considered his/their most popular cut. Do you recall where you located the Mp3 format for "My Time"? Is it possible to copy and send it to me via an e-mail attachment? Anyway, thanks for the response.

I've attached a link that you may find interesting - upper left corner of the page.

http://books.google.com/books...

Paul
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#12 Jan 22, 2010
The "link" has a tool bar at the top which will allow you to zoom and manipulate the pages of this music industry paper.

Paul
yeller jacket

United States

#13 Jan 25, 2010
Paul, I just spent like 30 minutes looking at the info on the link above, it is great stuff: Back about 69-70, I was playing in a band called Fourthcoming Yesterday from Hazlehurst/Mcrae, we were playing at some place in Vidalia, and one of our cover songs was My Time: Just so happened Bo came in, and we ended up backing him up while he sang the lead: Good times:
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#14 Jan 25, 2010
yeller jacket,
Happy you enjoyed the "link". Like you I also spent some time fliping through the pages - a lot of interesting reading for sure. And what a great story about your band, My Time and Bo. A lot of good memories of the late 60's and my years in Sav. Still need to come up with an MP3 version of the song.

Have a good one, Paul
Ronnie Williams

Mora, NM

#15 Jan 26, 2010
Paul, I got my copy of "My Time" by capturing the audio from a Youtube clip. I had downloaded a small program called vixy.exe from www.vixy.net
The program worked like a charm for a few days & then just quit. But if you have the vinyl, you can rip it to mp3 yourself. There are lots of programs that will do it. I use Rip vinyl and Audacity. Both are free but the Rip vinyl program has a short beep a few seconds into the song unless you buy the license for it. I think it's about $20
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#16 Jan 30, 2010
Success - found an aquaintance that has a USB turntable and was able to get a very clean recording of My Time from my original 45 (excellent condition) to CD. Easy upload to iTunes then to my playlist and onto my iPod. While I had the opportunity I also copied a few more late 60's early 70's 45's that I have along with a great version of Baby It's You by Smith. I'd be happy to pass along a CD with this cut if I can help anyone wanting it out.

Paul
Ronnie Williams

Mora, NM

#17 Jan 30, 2010
If anyone has a copy of "Greyhound" in any format or medium I would like to hear from you. My address is [email protected]
Paul

Tucson, AZ

#18 Jan 30, 2010
I'd be interested in a listen to "Greyhound" also.

Robert Cahill

Hinesville, GA

#19 Aug 1, 2010
Yea, I remember them. They played a lot around the Hinesville, Ga area too. They had two local hit songs. One called "MY TIME" and the other "FALLEN ANGEL" The local radio station WGML gave them a lot of air play.
Vinnie

San Francisco, CA

#20 Dec 14, 2010
Paul wrote:
Anyone willing to sell a copy of this 45?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vidalia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Southeastern Tech Murder Cover-up (Feb '15) Dec 29 Capone 11
Looking for 1 or 2 bedroom for rent Dec 20 jjj3182 1
News Lyons Police Chief Busted on Drug Charges (Sep '11) Dec 19 G down 41
News Sentimental Journey Down U.S. 221 Dec '16 Bart 2
Auto repair Dec '16 Redneck gal 1
Meeks house fire Nov '16 Wondering 1
News Santa Claus to appear at Columbus Park, The Lan... Nov '16 medic5922 1

Vidalia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance