Oro Grande park dismantled

Oro Grande park dismantled

There are 28 comments on the Victorville Daily Press story from Apr 3, 2007, titled Oro Grande park dismantled. In it, Victorville Daily Press reports that:

“It's hard saying goodbye to one of the nicest parks in the whole High Desert”

A piece of Oro Grande history was altered Monday when bulldozers began dismantling parts of Griffith Henshaw Memorial Park that was built in 1961. via Victorville Daily Press

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Victorville Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
used to be Kris Rasmussen

Salt Lake City, UT

#1 Apr 12, 2007
Our family was there the day it opened, and enjoyed the festivities. I actually won a bicycle, and was thrilled to pieces, until my father made them exchange it for a trike, feeling a seven-year-old could not handle a bike.
Riding trikes around the cement road, complete with a bridge and tunnel, was so wonderful! I loved and remember every inch of GHMP, and now I find myself wondering, who was Griffith Henshaw? I'll have to find out.
The best memories of my childhood came from that amazing park. Sad to see it go, but then, I've gone, too.
cynthia gollner

Corona, CA

#2 May 14, 2007
i was raised in oro grande ,we refered to the park as the big park. thinking back now, since you cant look back since it's gone, it is very depressing. that park had the most unblievable items to play on. tanks, trains, planes,snow mobiles, space ships, umbrellas to climb , the weirdest swing ive ever seen it my life pretty trees and beautiful grass , oh yah a race track to ride big wheels on and talk about nascar nope that track was the bomb. and yes people, real true to life , life size actual items listed above. i wish that me childern could have had a chance to share the memories with their children. i qould like to know if any one has pictures of the playground equipment theycould email to me at [email protected] please... oh yah i forgot to mention the great slide. thanks
Tracy

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#3 Jun 12, 2007
I will have you know, that 10 year old girl was my sister. She was a beautiful person. Your, unsafe, horribly assembled park DESERVES to be dissasembled and destroyed. No amount of money will ever replace the impact it has made on me and my family. How could there be controversy over this? I would not wish this tragic experience to happen to any of your families. Park equipment can be replaced, however, my sister cannot. To Joe Manners, if you would have taken the extra time and consideration of a saftey inspection of Rainbow Park you would still have your park and I would still have my sister. I hope that you take this into consideration and revise your thoughts about the destruction of Oro Grande Park. I am very delighted to hear that the park will be used for children to achieve an education. My sister now lives on in my memory. Forever. Wendy Lynn, your friends and family miss you more than anything else in this world. I am sorry for the ignorance of others. If they knew you at all, they would know how precious you are to us and maybe they too would understand the pain and and suffering that we have gone through and still face, every morning when we wake up and every night when we lay our head on the pillows. I love you more than anything else in this world, I'm sure you already know that though.
Patti Olson-Hudson

Littleton, CO

#4 Aug 1, 2007
I had many great times growing up in Oro Grande and going to the "big park". Yes, that was back in the 60's! I'm so sorry Tracy to hear about your sister, that happened after I was grown and gone. However, all of us kids who grew up there, loved the park and all of it's "toys". We never had any serious injuries, but I'm sure at one time or another we did hurt ourselves running and playing "tag" on the train or some other kid game. I'm sorry to see it go, that was OUR childhood. Too bad things have to change. Progress has it's good and bad points.
Wel

Fort Morgan, CO

#5 Aug 1, 2007
Gollner and Hudson now there is two old local names.
Haven't seen "Lucky" since high school times. Probably bent a few elbows at the fair grounds.
Hope all is well.
Sorry I can'r use my real name as a few of the municipalities really want the information I have stored away over the years. Can you spell BK.
helen

Victorville, CA

#6 Aug 21, 2008
what happen to wendy lynn any way
i always took my children there
but one time we had to leave because there was a teen with a gun
to bad there couldn't have been security
Steven

Ontario, CA

#7 Sep 29, 2008
People got hurt here pretty often. But that's what happens in places that have such an environment. It definitely wasn't a plastic foam coated park. The experience of that park couldn't have been had any other way than a real solid Train, Jet, Tank and other ridiculously awesome features no other park had. I visited this park a lot in the 80s and 90s and clocked quite a few family hours at this park. And sad but true all people are mortal and have to live with that. I don't want one of my kids dieing but I sure heck don't want to put them in a padded room with cream of wheat and a multivitamin and mittens pinned to their sweaters till they expire of old age.

You haven't lived until you got stuck in a jet in take!
Aurora vera

United States

#8 Feb 28, 2009
Oro grada was my mine and my familys favorit park.I really miss haveing that fun park agin but Idid not get to go there all the time.When my family and I heard about the girl who got killed on one of the rides I was really shocked.
Aurora vera

United States

#9 Feb 28, 2009
Oro grande was a fun and amazeing park and that park was fun for evry body ,but mostly for kids.My mom sometimes used to take us therit was much diffrent than my moms chiled hood.Now that I am turning 12 in may I am going to stop missing my favorit park because there are many other parks in my city of Barstow.We hope evry body had a chance to viset Oro grande and had fun with there family and kids.
Roxanne

United States

#10 Jul 14, 2009
Wendy was a childhood friend of mine. A 10 year old girl whose life ended much sooner then it should have. What a shame to hear these people whine over their beloved park and disregaurd the beautiful life of a child. When I look back on my childhood memories I tend not to remember places or things but the people I was with. People like Wendy. A 10 year old little girl with a contagious laugh and a smile that still shines in my memories. As her little sister said...parks can be replaced. I still remember Wendy, like it was yesterday.
jimmy lemmons

Rogers, AR

#11 Mar 3, 2010
i went to the school next to the park i was in 4th grade and i remember taking a field trip to the park we played there a lot i am going to miss that park
SmartEnought 2 rideAswing

Ontario, CA

#12 Mar 16, 2010
The park was a Victor Valley landmark...until money hungry bottom feeders like you who don't have the brains to supervise a 10 year old while playing show up.
Life is risky...watch your kids.
cynthia

United States

#13 Aug 25, 2010
SmartEnought 2 rideAswing wrote:
The park was a Victor Valley landmark...until money hungry bottom feeders like you who don't have the brains to supervise a 10 year old while playing show up.
Life is risky...watch your kids.
damn straight. if you have never been on that swing before what the hell were you kids doing without adult supervision.. we used to spin that thing around from the bottom with a string tied to the bars, stand along the brick wall and jump into the swing as it spins by. you couldnt get on and close the gate and hold on without help then #1 you have no business on it in the first place. try jumpimg from the rear of the train 2 storys high or the umbrella from the top or ever slide down the firepole head first. because of one persons upset, the rest of the world has to suffer. accidents happen everydqy on freeways, but no one decieded to close them up.
Paco

Reno, NV

#14 Jan 7, 2011
This was the BEST Park in SoCal for a number of years!! When I went back to visit it and found out it was gone, my very thought was my kids will not be able to enjoy such a great park. I'm very sorry that Wendy lost her life @ this wonderful park, but people die everyday and in every circumstance. My kids would of loved it!!! "Rainbow park", "Big Park", or "Dennis the menace Park" We'll miss you!
Greg

Beaver Springs, PA

#15 Aug 13, 2011
My parents used to take me here back in the early 60's shortly after it opened. I have vivid memories of this place after 46+ years.
I remember sitting in the cockpit of the F86, of climbing through the innards of the locomotive, of sliding down the pole of the rocket ship. I remember getting stuck halfway out on the swing when nobody else was around to give it a push. I remember the turtles up on the hill, and the swimming pool that was only 6 inches deep. I also remember the cannon and the tank.
This place was heaven for an adventurous 7 year old. Of course it could be dangerous if you weren't careful... But today's youth do things that are far more dangerous.
Brad

United States

#16 Aug 27, 2011
That park is one of my favorite childhood memories. Totally built as a kids' place, with one-of-a-kind climbing structures and actual military hardware. Wish it was still around to take my kids to.
Becky Risken

United States

#17 Mar 2, 2012
My mom has pictures of me and my sister when I was in diapers in the wading pool. We had many years of good memories growing up there at the big, park almost day. My mom and grandfather both worked there back when they had someone looking over it, its a park like no other. I have a couple of pics of my son when he was young there. I will never foget growing up there from youngster to teen. Good times
marissa

North Las Vegas, NV

#18 Jun 24, 2012
iwish i could have seen the park with my own eyes. my mom told me many stories, and then at the end i thought to myself, "why cant parents supervise their children?" maybe if they would watch their child, I, a 13 year old girl, would have been able to see the park and have fun in it with my siblings and friends. dont get me wrong, i am VERY sorry this had to happen to a 10 year old girl, but the park shouldnt have closed. i visited the sight a couple months ago, where a nice school stands.
Alfreda

Apple Valley, CA

#19 Nov 19, 2012
Although the death was tragic, things like that happen every day. Maybe better equipment inspection, maybe better parental supervision, maybe both, maybe neither would have changed the outcome of that day. I believe when your number is up, your number is up no matter where you are or what you are doing. I have very fond memories of the park as do many of my family and friends.
There are many great pictures posted on this facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/applevalley/...
objective and understandi

San Bernardino, CA

#20 Nov 19, 2012
i know the story of te young girlthat was killed. It was an accident waiting to happen, especially when there are people like those that think they are "smart" and do not take into cnsideration different age groups and putting others at risk lke cynthia's comment suggests. these are probably the same people that caused the accident trying to justify their actions. lil Wendy was being supervised, unfortunately accidents do happen. When on the highway all we can do is remove the ignorance that does not use the resource properly. In a park it must be made like a padded room so ignoramous idiots like cynthia and mr. enought..(that can't spell to save his own life)are not able to hurt themselve or other children that want to play on the same toys. Tear it down,before someone else get killed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victorville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
thinking of moving to Visalia,concerned about c... (Sep '11) 4 hr El chapo 29
Metrolink Quiet Zones - City of Hesperia 11 hr HESPERIA METROLIN... 15
Want to earn extra cash for the holidays! Mon Cpc1023 1
Worst Lawyer Ever Nov 19 madmax 1
Mariposa Road. Oak Hills, CA 92344 Nov 18 HESPERIA METROLIN... 22
Tulare County Court is Corrupt (Sep '13) Nov 17 Lmao 37
Laws ( Police do your job ) Nov 16 El chapo 8

Victorville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance