Prostitution looks chic, but truth is ugly

By Anne K. Ream and R. Clifton Spargo T he problem with much of the coverage of the Eliot Spitzer scandal was not just the pulp fiction-worthy headlines or the endless loop of commentary about why married men ... Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Christy

Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 26, 2008
This story is all well and good, but what's the solution?
Julia

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 26, 2008
Chic? What?! It's obviously gross, imagine the nasty fat hairy men you'd have to touch (etc.)! And you probably can't be too choosy, I mean, you have to pay your bills somehow. UGH...just the idea makes me want to throw up!
Ray

Matteson, IL

#6 Apr 26, 2008
It's absolutely ridiculous the columnist's attempt to rescue the image of a victim, from someone who's been in total control of her life.

To the columnist's dismay, the events that unfolded after the scandal was revealed, with the "victim" reaping even further the benefits of fame from her occupation, leave her without any recourse.

Stop playing the victim card.

That young woman was in total control of her life.

No victim there, "girlfriend".

“What type of f--kery is this??”

Since: Dec 07

South Shore/Chatham

#7 Apr 26, 2008
$1,000 an hour...being a bad girl...

$2,000 net a month being a good girl....

Wow....okay...

And there you go!
cosmo

Jersey City, NJ

#8 Apr 26, 2008
the Watcher wrote:
Doesn't this fall under a woman's right to choose?
did you read the part about most prostitutes having been abused and runaways at early ages and not knowing how else to feed themselves? not much or a choice when you're 14, 15, or 16 years old... and 4 or more years into it, there's not much hope when you want to escape the dangerous and sad life.
cosmo

Jersey City, NJ

#9 Apr 26, 2008
Julia wrote:
Chic? What?! It's obviously gross, imagine the nasty fat hairy men you'd have to touch (etc.)! And you probably can't be too choosy, I mean, you have to pay your bills somehow. UGH...just the idea makes me want to throw up!
I suppose it's chic when you're making $5K a night and you're so beautiful and popular that you CAN choose who you touch and who touches you. But my guess is that the vast majority of prostitutes cannot be choosy. It's a very sad life for the girls who can find no other way to survive.
cosmo

Jersey City, NJ

#10 Apr 26, 2008
Lala11_7 wrote:
$1,000 an hour...being a bad girl...
$2,000 net a month being a good girl....
Wow....okay...
And there you go!
But how many of these girls or woman actually make a grand an hour? What about the ones who ask for $20 for a half hour, and they get offers a half dozen times a night, and half their proceeds go to their abusive pimps? The prostitute who got all the attention says she loves her life but I'd bet my next paycheck she's a liar. How can you love your life when you have to worry about STDs all the time, and violent Johns, and getting stiffed (no pun intended) or robbed after doing the deed? I bet there are a hundred worries going thru their minds. No thanks! I'll take my lovin' at home and my paycheck direct deposited for my desk job.
not nasty

Evanston, IL

#11 Apr 26, 2008
Julia wrote:
What an insult to us fat hairy men! I resemble that!
get real

AOL

#12 Apr 26, 2008
world oldest ...........
Jim

AOL

#13 Apr 26, 2008
Slavery was once (and still is) one of the world's oldest institutions as well though that fact doesn't much speak to any inherent morality in it. Not saying they are the same thing just that the old refrain is rather meaningless and cliche.
JDAZ

Tempe, AZ

#14 Apr 26, 2008
Don't you get it?

When left wingers gets caught....prostitution is no big deal and we are all hypocrites for speaking against it.

When right wingers get caught, its a sleezy dirty industry.

Geeez, is it that hard to figure out?

Notice this article came out when the news cycle was loooong gone?
cool

United States

#15 Apr 26, 2008
not nasty wrote:
<quoted text>
What an insult to us fat hairy men! I resemble that!
LOL-you rule dude!!
You Me and Dupree

Greenwich, CT

#16 Apr 26, 2008
Why you hating on working girls? You going to criticize strippers next? Everyone has to make a dollar.
retiree

Addison, IL

#17 Apr 26, 2008
Those who have doubts about the dangers of this particular line of work might wish to read a story about a Radcliffe College scholaraship student who, for unknown reasons, decided to pursue this profession, turning tricks in Washington, D.C. for $50.

Her "pimp" turned on her and stabbed her to death in January 1979.
tired of the news

Oak Lawn, IL

#18 Apr 26, 2008
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Spurrier Consulting

Tallahassee, FL

#19 Apr 26, 2008
I feel horrible for those who are physically forced into this way of life. But who are these other women who have no other way to support themselves? I wonder what men with no job skills do to get by? Why can't these women get jobs at Walmart? Maybe the wardrobe is holding them back?
dbj

Lafayette, IN

#20 Apr 26, 2008
Obviously a wide range of experiences in that business. The authors could at least admit that there's a difference between street walker and high priced call girl. Not that any of it is appealing or glamorous.
Get Real

Crystal Lake, IL

#21 Apr 26, 2008
C'mon folks. This is sleaze. Always has been and always will be.

What is wrong with these guys? They HAVE buy sex just to make them feel more masculine? Gee what a nice quality to have in a husband or boyfriend.
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#22 Apr 26, 2008
yes, too glamourized.

I know of a case where a 5th grader and his mom showed up for an elementary school costume party as "Pimp & Ho". They were sent home, but didn't understand why.
tribreader

Abingdon, MD

#23 Apr 26, 2008
this article is moronic. it makes no valid points, just passes along opinion - obviously based upon the writer's values.

It seems just as likely from the author's almost incoherent musings that a worker in the sex trade could suffer a tragic fate as become julia roberts.

To portray any adult as a "victim" without choices is to condescend in the worst way. Everyone has challenges in their life. Some choose to overcome, others choose the easy path.

If someone chooses to become a prostitute for an easy buck - it is no different than someone who chooses to cheat on their taxes, or to sell drugs or to engage in some other activity that is either morally or legally suspect.

They made a choice and they should learn to live with the consequences. It is ridiculous to try and turn them into some kind of victim that deserves our sympathy or understanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Congratulations Hollie Rider and Josh Jimerson ... Thu Ginger 22
Macedonia defends use of constitutional name (Oct '07) Thu Spartan 615
Review: Iron Mike's Military Exchange Feb 24 Tim 1
Cornell student charged in murder of CEO father Feb 14 RFCBF2 8
Son, 19, charged with fatally shooting his fath... Feb 11 RFCBF 1
Rochester police officer's friends join him in ... Dec '14 Ha Ha 3
Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Nov '14 I voted Zornow 3
Victor Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Victor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:40 pm PST