buying in massapequa

Full story: Newsday

In one of his shticks, comedian Jerry Seinfeld, who grew up here, joked Massapequa was Indian for "by the mall." He was referring to what is now Westfield Sunrise Mall, which incidently has been making ...
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated May 15, 2007
Walter Greenspan

AOL

#1 Mar 9, 2007
The Westfield Sunrise Mall is in East Massapequa (Massapequa P.O.).

Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet.

As occurs in all but one of Nassau County's 136 communities (2 cities, 64 villages and 70 hamlets), the Hamlet of Massapequa has a different border than does the "Massapequa, NY 11758" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Massapequa mailing address and not be in Massapequa).

..........area
.....Hamlet of Massapequa..........2,345
.....Massapequa, NY 11758..........5,128

Thus, more than half the places with a "Massapequa, NY" mailing address are NOT in the Hamlet of Massapequa: these places are either in the Hamlet of North Massapequa or in the Hamlet of East Massapequa.

Also, complicating the matter even more, the "Massapequa, NY 11758" postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas on the eastside and westside of the "Massapequa Park, NY 11752" postal zone.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns:

http://www.lipower.org/company/pubs/popsurvey...
NIMBY Island

Willimantic, CT

#2 Mar 9, 2007
Who cares, there's no way to tell most of these towns a part, except for the sign on the side of Sunrise Highway
NYLI

Mastic, NY

#3 May 14, 2007
Walter Greenspan wrote:
The Westfield Sunrise Mall is in East Massapequa (Massapequa P.O.).
Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet.
As occurs in all but one of Nassau County's 136 communities (2 cities, 64 villages and 70 hamlets), the Hamlet of Massapequa has a different border than does the "Massapequa, NY 11758" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Massapequa mailing address and not be in Massapequa).
..........area
.....Hamlet of Massapequa..........2,345
.....Massapequa, NY 11758..........5,128
Thus, more than half the places with a "Massapequa, NY" mailing address are NOT in the Hamlet of Massapequa: these places are either in the Hamlet of North Massapequa or in the Hamlet of East Massapequa.
Also, complicating the matter even more, the "Massapequa, NY 11758" postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas on the eastside and westside of the "Massapequa Park, NY 11752" postal zone.
For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns:
http://www.lipower.org/company/pubs/popsurvey...
I can make it more confusing for you.....
11762 is Massapequa Park. The incorporrated village. But some of us are the "red headed step children ". We have the 11762 postal, but we are not part of the park, just Town of Oyster Bay.We pay no village taxes, just have the postal code. Whew.....
Walter Greenspan

AOL

#4 May 15, 2007
NYLI wrote:
<quoted text>
I can make it more confusing for you.....
11762 is Massapequa Park. The incorporrated village. But some of us are the "red headed step children ". We have the 11762 postal, but we are not part of the park, just Town of Oyster Bay.We pay no village taxes, just have the postal code. Whew.....
Yes, the Village of Massapequa Park has a different border than does the "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Massapequa Park mailing address and not be in Massapequa Park).

X..........area
Village of Massapequa Park.....1,398
Massapequa Park, NY 11762...2,120

Thus, about one out of every three places with a "Massapequa Park, NY" mailing address are NOT in the Village of Massapequa Park: depending where they are located, these places are either in the Hamlet of Massapequa or in the Hamlet of North Massapequa.

Bear in mind that a postal zone "City" and "Town" is an administrative district established by the U.S. Postal Service to deliver the mail. Postal zone "City" and "Town" may not (but are encouraged to) conform to municipal or community borders. Thus, postal zone location does not always determine city, village or hamlet location.

This problem of non-conforming postal zones leads to a situation where the majority of places in Nassau County have a different community name in their mailing address than the community where that place is actually located.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family of Kevin Ward, Jr. issues statement 7 hr For The Record 160
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
Man sentenced up to 90 years in prison for 40 h... (Aug '09) Aug 28 Diamond Daisy 42
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 27 Vote Zornow 6,408
Rochester Woman Pleads Guilty To Stealing ... Aug 27 Robinwilliams 2
Will Lachenauer-grew up in Fairport -Now a Gold... Aug 26 Gretchen Schneider 1
Changing limits on Macedon bridge (Jan '09) Aug 24 Diamond Daisy 6
•••
•••
•••

Victor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Victor People Search