Authority begins process to close cou...

Authority begins process to close county jail

There are 22 comments on the Sequoyah County Times story from Jul 21, 2009, titled Authority begins process to close county jail. In it, Sequoyah County Times reports that:

The Sequoyah County Jail is in the process of being closed. Members of the Sequoyah County Criminal Justice Authority voted Monday to begin the legal process of closing the county jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sequoyah County Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chad

United States

#1 Jul 21, 2009
A winning decision for the taxpayers. This will save the county money by eliminating 30 payroll checks plus employee insurance, the cost of food and supplies, utilities, inmate clothing & supplies, cable tv bill, lawsuits and liability issues. A fraction of the cost will have to be used to pay for inmate housing and fuel for tansporting them, but will still save the county thousands.

Toby

Claremore, OK

#2 Jul 21, 2009
Chad wrote:
A winning decision for the taxpayers. This will save the county money by eliminating 30 payroll checks plus employee insurance, the cost of food and supplies, utilities, inmate clothing & supplies, cable tv bill, lawsuits and liability issues. A fraction of the cost will have to be used to pay for inmate housing and fuel for tansporting them, but will still save the county thousands.
You are so right.
Closing the jail is the best thing to ever happen to Sequoyah County.
What a hugh savings for the tax paying citizens of Sequoyah County.
Chad

Denver, CO

#3 Jul 21, 2009
when the jail closes, we should ask for sale tax revenue collection to be stopped immediately.
On the look out

Muskogee, OK

#4 Jul 22, 2009
When I quit laughing I will have a coherent statement to make. But for now all I can say is Oh how the "mighty" have fallen. Karma sucks but turn about is fair play. You can't treat people the way that the commissioners and the jail administrator have and not exect to get some of it back. Steve Carter is the only half way smart one in the bunch. He had the forethought to place someone on the board in his spot so as it may appear that he didn't have a hand in this fiasco...too bad there are those of is who remember how vehnemently he stood beside Ms. Calbert defending her every questionable expenditure and action.
Will

Dallas, TX

#5 Jul 22, 2009
Lock the doors and turn out the lights or put the county commissioners in there to rot.
would be a good place to keep the campain sign thief, the prostitue solicitor, the great white hunter, and the little giant cowboy.
On the look out

Muskogee, OK

#6 Jul 24, 2009
Has anyone seen the articles in the Sequoyah County Times? These board members are actually saying that they are "tired of dealing with it"! IT IS YOUR JOBS TO DEAL WITH IT! THAT'S WHY YOU GET A COUNTY SALARY EVERY MONTH!!!!!

Maybe if they would have listened to multiple people for the last few years and replaced the jail administrator they would not be having this problem now! I mean come on people! Do you really expect anything more from someone who, prior to working at the jail, had only worked at Marvins and Target? The jails authority's poor choices from the beginning have caused this problem. They hired Ms. Calbert, with no formal education or experience in criminal justice, paid her an exorbinent salalry, and turned her loose with too much control over money that she misused. Anyone with any kind of foresight could have seen this coming!
Don Corleone

Sallisaw, OK

#7 Jul 24, 2009
On the look out wrote:
Has anyone seen the articles in the Sequoyah County Times? These board members are actually saying that they are "tired of dealing with it"! IT IS YOUR JOBS TO DEAL WITH IT! THAT'S WHY YOU GET A COUNTY SALARY EVERY MONTH!!!!!
Maybe if they would have listened to multiple people for the last few years and replaced the jail administrator they would not be having this problem now! I mean come on people! Do you really expect anything more from someone who, prior to working at the jail, had only worked at Marvins and Target? The jails authority's poor choices from the beginning have caused this problem. They hired Ms. Calbert, with no formal education or experience in criminal justice, paid her an exorbinent salalry, and turned her loose with too much control over money that she misused. Anyone with any kind of foresight could have seen this coming!
I thought the same thing when I read that article. "Tired of dealing with it..." WOW! How much is a commissioner's salary anyway? How much is this person getting paid for poorly doing a job he is "tired of dealing with" anyway? Maybe it is time for legal action.

www.thepetitionsite.com
flunky

Inola, OK

#8 Jul 24, 2009
What really burned me was the comment made by Dennis Fields, something to the effect of "close the jail down and in 90 days the citizens of the county will come running to you begging you to reopen it."
That statement alone would be enough for me to vote no on a jail tax. What the hell makes them think they can intimidate people this way?
Toby

Tulsa, OK

#9 Jul 24, 2009
flunky wrote:
What really burned me was the comment made by Dennis Fields, something to the effect of "close the jail down and in 90 days the citizens of the county will come running to you begging you to reopen it."
That statement alone would be enough for me to vote no on a jail tax. What the hell makes them think they can intimidate people this way?
What else can you expect out of such an incompetent bunch of bozos.
We will not be any worse off with the jail closed than we are now.
I say CLOSE THE JAIL and then those yahoo county employess may find themselves having to do a little work for a change.
I would not vote for a tax increase if they closed every Sequoyah County office down.
flunky

Inola, OK

#10 Jul 24, 2009
Well I see in the paper where the D.A.'s Office has found out that it is illegal to close the jail. Ha! Guess your scare tactics backfired a little didn't they boys?
BOBO

Fort Smith, AR

#11 Jul 25, 2009
billy billy billy billy billy billy!!!!!!!!! billy oliver is my hero!!!!!!!!!!
On the look out

United States

#12 Jul 27, 2009
So the D.A. And the jail inspector both say the jail cannot simply be closed. If the jail administrator knew the laws pertaining to the jail, or had at least researched the closing, maybe our county officials could have avoided looking a fool once again. They need to give the jail to the sheriff and let him be accountable, and get rid of that morally corrupt, uneducated fool that they've allowed to run the county jail like a whore house.
flunky

Vera, OK

#13 Jul 27, 2009
oh please the sheriff wouldn't be able to do any better! He's just as big a boob as the rest of them. He can't even manage to run his office on the budget the county has allowed how is he going to manage a sinking ship like the jail? This is a ploy for him to get more money, do you think he honestly cares about running the jail? No.
Muskogee, OK

#14 Jul 28, 2009
I bet Christine and her "crew" are sweating bullets. Karma's a bitch eh? Nice to see she's finally gonna get what's coming to her!
fed up

Muskogee, OK

#15 Jul 28, 2009
The jail needs to remain open so criminals like Lyndon Kyle Brunk, who has committed burglary in the second degree several time s can actually spend some time there. Actually his crook step daddy will probably call in a favor to his family, the sheriff, to get him off again. Kyle slashed my tires and his step dad constantly stalks me. It is time that Lyndon Brunk goes to the big house. I mean, come on, he broke into Dennis Brewers house while they were at a funeral, that is so sad.
fed up

Muskogee, OK

#16 Jul 28, 2009
Anyone know this guy? He has also been arrested for drug trafficking but it was erased from ODCR. This is Ron Lockharts nephew or cousin. Lets see how he handles it when it is HIS family.
flunky

Vera, OK

#17 Jul 28, 2009
he can't even handle it when the criminals aren't family. instead of enforcing the law like he's sworn to do, he's playing favorites and letting criminals run the streets because of personal favors. disgusting. he's a poor excuse for a sheriff and no kind of man at all.
Rodney

Arkansas City, KS

#18 Jul 28, 2009
well I recommend a no vote when the sales tax election comes up.
Rodney

United States

#19 Jul 28, 2009
NO MORE TAXES
fed up

Muskogee, OK

#20 Jul 30, 2009
I think we should all write a letter to the editor about this favoritism. He made such a big stink about the Philpots and Valdivias. Maybe he had a part in the burglary of his ex wifes house. It was done by his family and if Kyle gets off again, it will almost prove how crooked Sequoyah County is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chelsea Lee Cato Aug '17 Anonymous 2
Vian Cops K-9 bites an innocent bystander. (Feb '15) Aug '17 Shana Garner 10
News Vian School Investigation (Mar '08) Jul '17 your worse nightm... 26
News Oklahoma Cop, Police Chief Forced Out For Arres... (May '17) May '17 Harrisons 3
be on the lookout-black ford pickup (May '17) May '17 Indiana PI 1
News 3 indicted in steroid cases (Aug '09) Jun '16 So so 5
jom school supplies (Aug '15) Aug '15 jparish79 1

Vian Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vian Mortgages