Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
79,841 - 79,860 of 81,557 Comments Last updated Thursday

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Anne wrote:
Many times since I started posting on this thread various trolls have accused us of being off topic. So here I go in MY version of why all those birds died around Paducah (Lone Oak). It's my brother inlaws fault. Yes! The diesel fumes from his truck and tractor around that particular time in Lone Oak. He had just loaded his John Deere tractor on the trailer, locked down the boomer(?) and slowly pulled up to the highway. Off in the distance to the left was a semi truck coming so BIL mashed his right foot down on the accelerator. The boomer released its grip on the chain and the John Deere rolled backwards off the trailer right in the path of the semi. Semi driver did some pretty fancy braking and stopped short of the bouncing runaway tractor. BIL stops his truck and goes back to the tractor, pulls it up to the trailer, pushes down with the tractors bucket on the trailer and walks that tractor back on the trailer! But the day is not over and that much diesel fumes wouldn't affect the birds, but at the farm.... He pulled up the driveway ,parked the truck and proceeded to back the tractor off the trailer. Now, something about the weight of the tractor at the backend of the trailer and how it lifts the front of trailer and raises the back end of the truck...making the truck and trailer look like an inverted v. With BIL sitting in the tractors seat, the tractors back wheels off the trailer and the front wheels ON the trailer, the truck starts rolling down the hill towards a fence around the pond. All BIL could do was sit on that tractor, gripping the steering wheel with all his might and take that ride down the hill! The truck made it safely between the fence posts and continued go the pond, stopping within 36 inches of the water! Very cautiously he finished getting the tractor completely off the trailer. Then backed the truck away from the waters edge. So....all those frantic diesel fumes in such a short time span--that's my explanation for all those birds dying.
This is a very worthy hypothesis. To prove it via scientific method, we have to do the experiment three times and see if we get the same results---
Anne

Tuscola, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Another, most likely idea is that the area was literally besieged with starlings. Millions. And they posed a very real health threat. Seriously. For real. What is it? Histoplasmosis ? Can and does cause blindness and other bad health problems. Soooo.. Perhaps the starlings were sprayed with soapy water which washes off natural oils. Starling population diminished. Hmmmmm. Big possibility. For real
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. Date?
Might even get you an ice cream.
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
Many times since I started posting on this thread various trolls have accused us of being off topic.
They don't understand that is why everyone is here. One big pot luck dinner of sorts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>Might even get you an ice cream.
Wow! A large dipped cone? Or is that pushing my luck
Diaper Boy

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Hunters are doing it! Now stop this thread!!!
Anne

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

We are sitting in a small town cafe a couple hours from Chicago and on the wall is an advertising paper bag from the diamond roller mills for All Jewels fancy patent flour ground in Mill Springs KY. Small world. Lol
Fan4Life

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Diaper Boy wrote:
Hunters are doing it! Now stop this thread!!!
No, it's the Kentucky Wildcats disposing of those Louisville Cardinals!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Fan4Life wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's the Kentucky Wildcats disposing of those Louisville Cardinals!!!!!!!!
I'm a UK fan, but it's going to be a hard win
I predict U of L by 6
Fan4Life

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Have faith..........Cats by 5!!!!!!!!!!
Jingles

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

So....anyone with a Kentucky Wildcat update? Who won? And SHAME on Miss E for even saying such a thing against the Cats. May you have a hard night of rest. Scrooge-thinks-you-know-it-all -yet,you -know-NOTHING.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Jingles wrote:
So....anyone with a Kentucky Wildcat update? Who won? And SHAME on Miss E for even saying such a thing against the Cats. May you have a hard night of rest. Scrooge-thinks-you-know-it-all -yet,you -know-NOTHING.
I'm sorry. I really am a UK fan but a realistic bet
I truly hope I'm proven wrong! I'll go put on my lucky panties and cheer
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Oh memories !!. I had to laugh when you posted about that grandma sitting on the porch spitting snuff out between her teeth. That was what my maternal grandma did. The paternal grandma just sat on the porch smoking a corncob pipe. She might have even had some of that wacky backy in the pipe. It grows wild around here even still. My grandpa raised the stuff legally along the river bottom land prior to WW2 and sold it to the Government to be used for ropes for ships.- AW
I agree, both of my grannies chewed tobacco: One Cane Bee, the other Levi Garret or something another as well as Mail Pouch, I do believe. Great grandmother had a wooden pipe and cane that resembled each other. She had a special place for it beside the Bible:) Great women! So many stories and questions that could have been asked about them and their lives. Now, the time has gone except for those treasured, cherished memories.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Oh memories !!. I had to laugh when you posted about that grandma sitting on the porch spitting snuff out between her teeth. That was what my maternal grandma did. The paternal grandma just sat on the porch smoking a corncob pipe. She might have even had some of that wacky backy in the pipe. It grows wild around here even still. My grandpa raised the stuff legally along the river bottom land prior to WW2 and sold it to the Government to be used for ropes for ships.- AW
I agree, both of my grannies chewed tobacco: One Cane Bee, the other Levi Garret or something another as well as Mail Pouch, I do believe. Great grandmother had a wooden pipe and cane that resembled each other. She had a special place for it beside the Bible:) Great women! So many stories and questions that could have been asked about them and their lives. Now, the time has gone except for those treasured, cherished memories.
I was recently touring an old antique/ junk store with a friend, when we came across some old portraits of some homely women. I commented on their pictures, to which my friend replied "In a storm, any port will do"
Must have been a Cat. 5 hurricane.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Yes, I agree. My maternal, great grandmother resembles Shirley Corriher though the hair was different. Her hair was waist length and blood red. I have always believed that an infectious smile can make any face beautiful. Though to me beauty is vain and skin deep, while ugliness cuts to the bone;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Yes, I agree. My maternal, great grandmother resembles Shirley Corriher though the hair was different. Her hair was waist length and blood red. I have always believed that an infectious smile can make any face beautiful. Though to me beauty is vain and skin deep, while ugliness cuts to the bone;)
Agreed! My favorite book is a photo book from the Appalachian region. The faces are hard, wrinkled and wonderfully aged. They are full of a life lived. My biggest complaint about Hollywood is that they are scared to age. I love looking at face that tells a story of a life lived.
Texture and depth
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
We are sitting in a small town cafe a couple hours from Chicago and on the wall is an advertising paper bag from the diamond roller mills for All Jewels fancy patent flour ground in Mill Springs KY. Small world. Lol
from:Hidden History of the Kentucky in the Civil War by Berry Craig.... A sapling grows from the remains of an old oak tree close to where Rebel General Felix K. Zollicoffer died in the Civil War Battle of Mill Springs on January 19, 1862. In 1902, Dorotha Burton, a ten-year-old girl who lived on the old battle field placed flowers on the Rebel Graves and wove blooms into an evergreen wreath and entwined in around the "Zollie" tree.(the story was longer, I just posted the highlights).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Jingles wrote:
I'm eating crow! UK up by 10
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Better half bleeds blue! And is a happy camper now!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a UK fan, but it's going to be a hard win
I predict U of L by 6
"SPORTS....???..!" ....I'm outa here!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Versailles Forum right now

Search the Versailles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 17 min angel 146,444
Justin White and his Wife OITNB Nicky 34 min Tricky Ricky 1
Judge Tamra Gormley (Jan '13) 48 min Icecold 120
To: keepitreal 1 hr lol 5
Rehab 1 hr Concerned 1
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 5 hr LMS 16,119
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 5 hr LMS 1,021
•••
•••
•••
•••

Versailles Jobs

•••