Our Opinion: Shelton's leadership team officially set

Oct 3, 2013 Full story: Newms360.com 14

The Tupelo City Council, with minimal dissent, approved all of Mayor Jason Shelton's nominees for department heads and administrative positions, setting the city's course more firmly with the start of the 2014 fiscal year, which began Oct. 1. Shelton said early in his term that he would not rush to make changes or announcements because all the ... (more)

Full Story
Freedom

Tupelo, MS

#1 Oct 3, 2013
What do you think? Is it any better than last year?
Rod Knox

Tupelo, MS

#2 Oct 4, 2013
The current mayor and council will operate with the mill stone of debt and contracted obligations made by the previous administration. Like a groom returning home from the honeymoon to find that his bride has a purse full of maxed out credit cards and 2 children from a previous relationship, Mr Shelton may do well to keep the city's critical needs operating while paying down the parties he wasn't around to enjoy. I hope you enjoy the hot tub and airport, Mr freedom.
Christopher

Tupelo, MS

#3 Oct 7, 2013
Rod Knox wrote:
The current mayor and council will operate with the mill stone of debt and contracted obligations made by the previous administration. Like a groom returning home from the honeymoon to find that his bride has a purse full of maxed out credit cards and 2 children from a previous relationship, Mr Shelton may do well to keep the city's critical needs operating while paying down the parties he wasn't around to enjoy. I hope you enjoy the hot tub and airport, Mr freedom.
Well Shelton has missed very FEW parties OUTSIDE of politics.
Mud

Terry, MS

#4 Oct 7, 2013
Don't forget the new tax office and police headquarters. This is regime, he's building a legal army, with a new chief and new attorney. As for the original question is it better? Laughable, how's a bigger tax office, and bigger police station going to make your life better, when the biggest criminals are the tax collectors and the TPD? The Constitution really was just a gdamn piece of paper, but watch the train wreck without it.
Sue

Tupelo, MS

#5 Oct 7, 2013
How about we close the airport and get Apple to build a research center?
Rod Knox

Tupelo, MS

#6 Oct 7, 2013
Have you enjoyed the Mayor's parties, Christopher? Maybe I should feel left out. I wasn't invited to Jack Reed Jr's or Jason Shelton's..... Oh well.
Catolica

Tupelo, MS

#7 Oct 8, 2013
Mud wrote:
Don't forget the new tax office and police headquarters. This is regime, he's building a legal army, with a new chief and new attorney. As for the original question is it better? Laughable, how's a bigger tax office, and bigger police station going to make your life better, when the biggest criminals are the tax collectors and the TPD? The Constitution really was just a gdamn piece of paper, but watch the train wreck without it.
The tax office is a county function. Shelton doesn't run that. But why let facts get in the way.
snoopy

Tupelo, MS

#8 Oct 8, 2013
"The tax office is a county function."
==========
Tupelo city has its own tax collections such as sales and property tax to pay for local toys. The restaurant, lodging tax or the high rental fees for example are due to city mismanagement.
Catolica

Tupelo, MS

#9 Oct 8, 2013
snoopy wrote:
"The tax office is a county function."
==========
Tupelo city has its own tax collections such as sales and property tax to pay for local toys. The restaurant, lodging tax or the high rental fees for example are due to city mismanagement.
The only tax-like fees (and I not referring to water and light bills, building permits, and those types of things) collected by city employees are business privilege license fees, and those occur once a year around this time.
The need for a new tax office and staff is something expressed by COUNTY tax collector Leroy Belk. The city is not asking for anything.
snoopy

Tupelo, MS

#10 Oct 8, 2013
"The city is not asking for anything."
==========
Except to have county government move to Tupelo in the old Downtown building.
Catolica

Tupelo, MS

#11 Oct 8, 2013
What are you smoking? The city and the county are at odds with each other most of the time. A consolidated government is not even in the works, not matter how much CDF might like that.

What downtown building are you talking about anyway?
snoopy

Tupelo, MS

#12 Oct 8, 2013
" The city and the county are at odds with each other most of the time. A consolidated government is not even in the works, not matter how much CDF might like that."
==========
Regionalism
The power structure is a political game where the people in power win over the residents. The same people go to the same state wide meetings and push the same agenda. It is all about getting money.
Honey

Sumrall, MS

#13 Oct 9, 2013
Mayor chose an in house veteran detective as chief. Knowing all the problems with the dept. he choose a follower who has not spoke up about the wrong doings over all the years, heck the guy should work for the newspaper with all the stories he's told. This town grew too big for the buddy system and thats why its dying, an effort to grow with the times should be made, but nope same cronyism. LoL, who wants to live in a town that fines you if you park in your yard, yet the cops live in 200k homes and live like drunken roman soldiers? And an attorney choosing his own sounds shady, but that's yet to be play out.
Christopher

Tupelo, MS

#14 Oct 10, 2013
Rod Knox wrote:
Have you enjoyed the Mayor's parties, Christopher? Maybe I should feel left out. I wasn't invited to Jack Reed Jr's or Jason Shelton's..... Oh well.
I'm talking about parties in the downtown dives. I don't frequent those places.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Verona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MS does not have a chance playing with the big ... 9 hr Dumb laws 1
Tupelo man jailed, charged with assaulting an o... 9 hr Dumb laws 1
Tupelo gets federal funding for two massive sto... 9 hr No Pride 1
New retailer coming to The Shops at Barnes Cros... Thu Tom 7
Dossett Big 4 RUDY DOSSETT Thu cash nointerest 5
target coming!!!!! Thu Tom 17
New dining options: Downtown Tupelo's restauran... Thu Tom 11
Verona Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web