Tupelo mayor drops out of U.S. Senate...

Tupelo mayor drops out of U.S. Senate race

There are 70 comments on the WDAM-TV Hattiesburg story from May 8, 2018, titled Tupelo mayor drops out of U.S. Senate race. In it, WDAM-TV Hattiesburg reports that:

Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton is dropping out of the race for U.S. Senate, saying it's just not the right time. "After much prayer and consideration I have reached the decision that I will be withdrawing my candidacy for U.S. Senate in the special election to replace retired Senator Thad Cochran, and request that my name not be included on the November ballot," Shelton said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDAM-TV Hattiesburg.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Logic

Tupelo, MS

#1 May 8, 2018
He never expected to win in the first place. It was just to get name recognition in the first place. But the party complained he would take votes from their selected candidate. He just takes orders from those with the real power.
Ego Tripped

Tupelo, MS

#2 May 8, 2018
Jaboy is a real leader. LOL. Will he pay back all the donations he required of all his department heads. Oh well Shelton is a loser and would be back as mayor after November anyway. Jason Shelton has never stuck with anything very long but the ego trip was a shorty one. Tupelo will elect an adult mayor and someone interested in Tupelo.
Anonymous

United States

#3 May 9, 2018
One things for sure Jason Shelton is just winging it, all of it. Marriage, career, words, City appointee’s, all of it.
City Approval

Tupelo, MS

#4 May 9, 2018
Bruce Patel was a major donor to Jason Shelton's campaign for Senator and the city approved his project on north Gloster. The fact is that the codes where no enforced by the city and now the state of Mississippi has control of the project. It seems as though Tupelo now has become something less desirable durning the past 10 years of nothing but who you know politics. The daily journal and the city of Tupelo have loss creditability in north Mississippi. Who can you trust in Tupelo? The daily journal hates to publish any truth about the lack of leadership in city hall. Tupelo has had no growth and the new mall in north Mississippi make a big old dent in the sales tax collections that are keeping Tupelo afloat. Tupelo will elect an adult mayor to clean up Shelton's mess.
Shelton Ousted

Tupelo, MS

#5 May 9, 2018
Shelton has never committed to anything in life for very long. He is a part timer at best and will never be elected again in Mississippi.
New Mall

Tupelo, MS

#6 May 9, 2018
City Approval wrote:
Bruce Patel was a major donor to Jason Shelton's campaign for Senator and the city approved his project on north Gloster. The fact is that the codes where no enforced by the city and now the state of Mississippi has control of the project. It seems as though Tupelo now has become something less desirable durning the past 10 years of nothing but who you know politics. The daily journal and the city of Tupelo have loss creditability in north Mississippi. Who can you trust in Tupelo? The daily journal hates to publish any truth about the lack of leadership in city hall. Tupelo has had no growth and the new mall in north Mississippi make a big old dent in the sales tax collections that are keeping Tupelo afloat. Tupelo will elect an adult mayor to clean up Shelton's mess.
Where will the new mall be built in north Mississippi? There is rumor that the mall will be located off the interstate near Holly Springs. The population in a 60 mile radius is the fatest growth area in north Mississippi and west Tennessee and the sales taxes are much less in Mississippi other than Tupelo.
Embarrassing for Tupelo

Tupelo, MS

#7 May 9, 2018
Shelton had very little support and no donated money to spend on his senate campaign. The last thing Shelton wanted was to be labeled as a no body and lose the vote in Tupelo and Lee county to a republican candidate. Future candidates will never let Shelton forget his political mistakes. Who would vote for Jason Shelton for any elected office. Jason can not make up his mind on what he wants in his choices in life. Hyde-Smith can be sacrificed by the republican party with McDaniel leading the ticket for Senator.
Playing Games

Tupelo, MS

#8 May 9, 2018
The young Tupelo mayor is playing with himself. Tupelo will take care of Shelton in the next mayoral election.
No Leadership

Tupelo, MS

#9 May 10, 2018
The city of Tupelo has opted to elect politicians with no experience for the past 10 years and Shelton has done nothing but what he is told to do by the wealthy families that continue to use the taxpayers in Tupelo to accumulate more wealth. In Tupelo, you are either getting paid by the city or you are paying the city. Tupelo has no idea the costs of personal use of city vehicles nor the total legal fees that Shelton pay attorneys. The sales taxes collected near the mall area are flat and yet the mayor and council do nothing but have more meetings to decide where to spend more taxes on downtown. Tupelo ignores the potholed streets and neighborhoods but serves free alcohol in to go cups down on main. Elvis learned the hard way not to trust the mayor of Tupelo nor his council buddies.
ShellysAJoke

United States

#10 May 10, 2018
Shelton will be remembered for his biased racist remarks after the police killed the unarmed guy and let the k9 eat his balls, he’ll be remembered for his month long marriage and drunken red cup, red face petition. Remembrance for his selection of the worst police Chief and highest crime by far in Tupelo history.
What he won’t be remembered for it finishing, accomplishing, or bettering anything he touched.
Out of Towner

Tupelo, MS

#11 May 10, 2018
I take it y'all don't care much for Shelton. As an outsider who works in Tupelo I think he does a good job for the city. Who you going to get any better? Y'all bitched about Reed and now Shelton. If these guys were so bad how do they get elected? Tupelo is progressing whether you believe it or not. What more do you want? I bet most on this board complaining don't have a clue on how to run anything much less a city.

And on a new mall being located close to Holly Springs, I'll take that bet. Won't happen.
Freedom from marketing

Tupelo, MS

#12 May 10, 2018
Out of Towner wrote:
I take it y'all don't care much for Shelton. As an outsider who works in Tupelo I think he does a good job for the city. Who you going to get any better? Y'all bitched about Reed and now Shelton. If these guys were so bad how do they get elected? Tupelo is progressing whether you believe it or not. What more do you want? I bet most on this board complaining don't have a clue on how to run anything much less a city.

And on a new mall being located close to Holly Springs, I'll take that bet. Won't happen.
Anyone worth their salt would not run for political office and take campaign contributions. They would need to be drafted. It takes over ambition and not virtue to want to be in charge.
Greedy government

Tupelo, MS

#13 May 10, 2018
The City Council’s proposal for a “head tax” is not a solution. Instead of a strategic plan to address growth, the Council has proposed to tax only 3% of our city’s largest business, charging them a flat rate per worker they hire, making businesses pay a price for creating jobs. This is like telling a classroom that the students who do the most homework will be singled out for detention.
Visitors

Tupelo, MS

#14 May 10, 2018
Out of Towner wrote:

Few visitors are in Tupelo to know the facts. Reading the local paper will miss lead most people but since you do not own anything in Tupelo and pay no taxes and have no children in the schools and should know better. Tupelo has no one interested in the mayor’s office and Shelton had no opponet and 20% of the voters got out to vote for Shelton. Tupelo is growing near the mall but the sales tax collections which are based on sales is flat. The city is now the largest land owner in Tupelo with the loss of ad valoreum on all the blighted properties paying no tax. Most large corporations are tax exempt in Tupelo and Lee county. Tupelo has not had a good mayor in more than a decade. Where did attorneys like Reed and Shelton learn how to be mayors?
SumpleQuestion

United States

#15 May 10, 2018
Out of Towner wrote:

What has Shelton done specifically that you feel is good?
Errrrrhh

Tupelo, MS

#16 May 10, 2018
SumpleQuestion wrote:
<quoted text>

Shelton has approved free beer in to go cups down on main and he has called press conferences for his award willing association downtown and he has bulldozed a few blighted apartments and has done what ever Nettie has told him. A born leader?
Tupelo Dropouts

Tupelo, MS

#17 May 11, 2018
Tupelo has become famous for its dropout rate and crime rate and thug producing. Jason Shelton is nothing more than another Tupelo dropout. The pride and spirit of Tupelo.
Out of Towner

Tupelo, MS

#18 May 11, 2018
SumpleQuestion wrote:
<quoted text>

I see new industry, businesses, and restaurants going in all of the time. Very few shutting down. Homes and buildings going up in a lot of places. The word is business rental property is getting hard to find so there are plans to build more facilities. Y'all are like all of the Trump haters. Don't recognize what the man has done that is good. Just focus on what you don't like about him and rant about that. If things are not getting done to suit you don't you think the City Board has some responsibility here. The Mayor can't make it happen on his own. You should call your alderman or councilman to voice your concerns. When it comes to spending money he is at the mercy of the Board. What do you think he can do better and if he is not the person for the job who is? Who could do a better job in your opinion?
All Play No Work

Tupelo, MS

#19 May 11, 2018
Shelton does nothing buy play like he is mayor. NO one is running the city of Tupelo. Anyone could do what Shelton has done for the past 6 years. Tupelo requires an adult republican as mayor who is not always running from something in his past. Shelton bounces from one thing to the other for attention and more daily journal photos. He is nothing but a publicity stunt and will never be elected again in Mississippi. Tupelo knows all about the two timer Jason Shelton now. How many masters do you serve? Do you know right from wrong?
Money can not buy

Tupelo, MS

#20 May 11, 2018
Out of Towner wrote:
<quoted text>

I see new industry, businesses, and restaurants going in all of the time. Very few shutting down. Homes and buildings going up in a lot of places. The word is business rental property is getting hard to find so there are plans to build more facilities. Y'all are like all of the Trump haters. Don't recognize what the man has done that is good. Just focus on what you don't like about him and rant about that. If things are not getting done to suit you don't you think the City Board has some responsibility here. The Mayor can't make it happen on his own. You should call your alderman or councilman to voice your concerns. When it comes to spending money he is at the mercy of the Board. What do you think he can do better and if he is not the person for the job who is? Who could do a better job in your opinion?
Just as many restaurants shut as open. Most serve unhealthy food. Rental property is a scam to make money for the rich while cutting the income and estate of the worker. The building codes are not enforced and the buildings are not maintained. Homes are not increasing in value as no one with an education wants to live in Tupelo. What is getting done is the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. The councilmen get reelected because they are the only ones on the ballot and they do not change their mind because of the public.

We need someone like Ran Paul who will call a spade a spade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Verona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News McDaniel defends himself against GOP heavy hitters 29 min Genetics 17
News Council hears positive remarks on go-cup zone 4 hr Rod Knox 30
Food Trucks Rules 5 hr Time 22
Who You Kidding 5 hr Fishy Numbers 1
Old Miss Sucks 5 hr Leg Suckers 9
News TCT box office manager found appreciation for a... 6 hr Daily News 1
News MS: Tupelo Unveils Buses for Transit System 6 hr Only for Blacks 55

Verona Jobs

Personal Finance

Verona Mortgages