verona council and police dept

Posted in the Verona Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
concerned ciyizen

Osceola, MO

#1 Feb 15, 2009
we should remove the mayor and chief joseph powell and look into all the wrong doing in this small community
Mike

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Feb 17, 2009
I lived in Verona for a year. When my house was broken into i called the police three times to come take a report but they were just too busy. They only came after i called Lawrence County to complain, they took a quick 5 minute report and i never heard another thing. Verona is a joke.
Concerned Citizen

Columbia, MO

#3 Feb 26, 2009
Actually the city council and new police chief are looking into the wrong doings; hence the recent removal of one of the police officers. It is true that police response time and concern has been an issue in the past. The addition of Chief Powell has uncovered much of that and the town is well on its way to fixing many of the problems that has plagued it.
amused

Mineral Wells, TX

#4 Feb 26, 2009
I agree with the person from pleasant hope, Verona had a few good police officers that had a good response time when taking calls, so the concerned citizen from nixa must not know anything about law enforcement and how to take a call, the Police Department is a joke now and needs to be taken over by the county again
Looking to help

Branson, MO

#5 Feb 28, 2009
Funny that the new chief there is right now a one man department and writing my tickets and stuff then marionville who has 5 full time officers. Chief Powell keep up the good work, just get the drugs out of this city now.
bla bla bla

Mineral Wells, TX

#6 Feb 28, 2009
Verona used to have several good police officers, he must be writing tickets to make up for what the others were doing before he came, and verona is just like marionville, both the city council and chiefs are CORRUPT
Solution

Joplin, MO

#7 Feb 28, 2009
how the hell do you have a slow response time when you are in a town that takes 30 seconds to get from one end to the other???
bla bla bla

Mineral Wells, TX

#8 Feb 28, 2009
there is a slow response time because the officer thats supposed to be in Verona working is never there, of course the good citizens of Verona have noticed this already, kinda sad there are three police vehicles in the small town and none of them are ever seen out
another paxpayer

Mount Vernon, MO

#9 Mar 2, 2009
Things will change I know it will, Chief Powell is a good guy and the other Chief was a lazy ass.
Concerned Citizen

Columbia, MO

#10 Mar 2, 2009
Typically those causing trouble are often the ones who cry the most – Malvern…

Actually the recent officers that were removed were removed for numerous infractions, problems, lazy, etc. Chief Powell has been working extremely hard to fix many of the left over problems – problems that if you actually looked into as I have from my involvement as a legal representative, you would know that Verona was as risk because of the involvement (or lack thereof) of the past officers. Chief Powell has already done much to resolve that and keep the city out of legal trouble. I think he deserves thanks from the city for that!

According to public records the ticket count and arrest numbers are up. And yes he is the only one doing the job right now in addition to all the behind the scenes fixing he has been working on. Also if you examine the tickets you’ll see that they are valid – he is certainly not into ticking anyone for anything just for the numbers.

The reports I’ve seen show that Chief Powell is in town and on the job far more then a 40 hour work week. Being a one man show makes it hard to be seen everyplace at the same time so those who complain otherwise really having nothing to stand on except their whining.

Slow response times in the past were accounted to officers who decided to go home (in neighboring cities) during their shifts. That was taken care of by the removal of those officers. Currently response times can be attributed to Chief Powell being the only one on call. For the most part reports show good response time. From what I read in the papers Verona is actively seeking new officers so I expect response times will only improve.

From what I read about the three new cars – apparently they were a great deal so costs were not much of an issue. The existing cars was in such disrepair that it could hardly get over 60 mph – talk about an issue. Apparently its monthly repair cost was more then putting the money towards a new one. Looks like Officer Powell took care of the city here too. And they are poised to take care of new officers as they get them.

From all the evidence that I’ve seen and read as well as the reports I am privy to I believe Verona is well on its way of shaping up. The City Council looks like they are on the ball and did a great job bringing Chief Powell on board. Left over riff raff from the past will probably still complain and cause friction for a while but as they get caught doing whatever it is they are trying to get away with, that ought clear up.
Local not happy

Columbia, MO

#11 Mar 2, 2009
I'm just sitting here reading this and laughing. I live in the area and this is really sad... You have officers being taken out so they can be replaced with the chiefs friends and not just one officer multiple officers,(buddy system at work!), 1 officer 3 cars (doesn't add up), relatives of city officals making coments about how dumb the citizens of verona are, and thier "legal representatives" writing about all of the doings of the city on a local forum. Sounds like some on here are trying to express thier opinions and others are are threatening. it doesnt sound like anyone on here is trying to "get away" with anything just sounds like others have things to hide and are not doing a very good job at it.
another paxpayer

Mount Vernon, MO

#12 Mar 3, 2009
Damn, sound to me like all of you all need to get lifes and stop bitching all the time.
Concerned Citizen

Columbia, MO

#13 Mar 4, 2009
Again, this is another misinformed post. Officers were not removed just to be replaced – they were replaced for valid reasons that are recorded at POST –(no buddy system at work here – in fact none have been replaced so how could it be said that they were replaced with friends?) It would violate the Sunshine law to state the reasons of the office’s removal so of course those who don’t know the truth are listening to the rumor mill.

The 1 officer - 3 car issue was already addressed. Whatever comments you believe are being made about the intelligence of Verona citizens again sounds like the local rumor mill.

I had hoped to shed a little light on the situation without giving away the protected details. There are always multiple sides to a story. Those who believe whatever they choose without looking for valid sources will never be happy. It’s a normal part of the human nature but can certainly stir up a lot of trouble – especially (and sadly) when it is based on so many falsehoods.

If you are truly not happy, then do something about it – get involved – find valid truths. Or you can keep sitting laughing, complaining, bitching and being unhappy – and know that you’ll never understand why things are being done the way they are.
concerned citizen

Plattsburg, MO

#14 Mar 4, 2009
evidently everyone doesnt know all the facts as to the slow response times its kinda hard to do a one man show very aggreable but it doesnt help when the chief is in arkansas on personal business and using a city vehicle to conduct it.what about all the mileage that puts on a vehicle that we pay our taxes for? their is much wrong doing in this small city mostly a mayor form of government some city council members try to get their opions across but sadly falls on deaf ears more people should get involved and find out exactly what does go on might be suprised.and as far as bringing chief powell onboard its nice to know he sure wasnt the first choice might do some checking as to why he isnt still in arkansas intresting information there public record just a little research.
another paxpayer

Mount Vernon, MO

#15 Mar 4, 2009
It is part of his contract for him to drive the vehicle where ever he wants and no that don't pay for all the gas and all that stuff. Ask to see his contract and it will prove you wrong.
verona wildcat

Mineral Wells, TX

#16 Mar 4, 2009
Kinda hard to have a good response time in Verona when the (Durango) is seen on a regular basis heading south on hwy 37 toward ''arkansas'', also in Monett quite frequently, and maybe certain people should appreciate where and how some of the money got there to buy the three police vehicles, i bet it had a lot to do with previous employees who did a great job bringing revenue in, but no obviously certain officials are wanting to make a bad name for the officers that were here long before the current Chief.

To the comment above..yes people do your research Arkansas does have public record, look it up!!!
Whats new

United States

#17 Mar 4, 2009
Verona Wilcat, I think you are the officer that recently got fired. There are alot of post for Malvern, Ar, and you seem to know alot about the current chief.
Chief

United States

#18 Mar 5, 2009
Seems funny to me that each of you had to make up fake names. Kinda like the "anonymous" phone calls that are now being tracked. This is the one and only time I will even look at this blog. I will state my business and will not return, even to check your comments. I am here. I will be here until I am ready to go. I will drive my unit....I am the chief. I will enforce the law....you break it...no matter who you are, you will be cited and or arrested. So, you go on blogging, talking, whatever gives you that "feel good." But, bottom line, when you wake up in the morning, there I'll be...doing exactly the same thing in exactly the same city. Have a nice day ladies and gentlemen...and drive safe.
taxpayer

United States

#19 Mar 5, 2009
As to the police department now, have nothing to say good about it, chief Justin Day was very liked and did a good job, and for the others that were there during his time were very professional as well, as for city council there are a few that are great people
Newchiefrocks

Mount Vernon, MO

#20 Mar 5, 2009
I think it was a stand up thing for the chief to post of this site. I admire him for telling the citizens or a few people that post on here that he is there to stay. I have met Chief Powell and think he is a very professinal guy. Chief day was a joke and will always be one. To Chief Powell, Keep up the good work and hopefully you can hire a guy or to that are like you are not scared to do their job you and the city him he/she to do. Keep of trucking brother

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Verona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
These people should be ashamed! (Jul '14) Jun 6 Kari 8
Aurora Police Department (Aug '10) Jun 2 Joe hurt 39
Milton sparks is done cor good Jun 2 Kevin 3
Nathan Horn Jun 1 Shotgun Rider 1
News Remembering the devastation: the May 4, 2003, t... (May '10) May '17 Anonymous snob 9
What's up with are government May '17 Citizen 2
Boom in the night Apr '17 Cricket 1

Verona Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Verona Mortgages