Child dies after falling from chair with scissors

Police in Verona Beach, New York, say a six-year old died while reaching for scissors on top of a refrigerator when she fell from a chair and the blades stabbed her in the neck. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SSSS

Blanch, NC

#1 May 14, 2007
Very sad

“Get Right or Get left”

Since: Mar 07

United States

#2 May 14, 2007
What a very horrible, bizzare accident this was. God Bless the family.
in awe

Marietta, GA

#3 May 14, 2007
I would have to say that considering the family was in the house, depending on how big the home was, why did no one hear her wheeling that chair around or no one cared to ask what she was doing??? I have a six year old and they can move pretty fast but my daughter knows not to play with scissors and would have asked me to help her. Did the child not ask the parents to get the gum out of her hair for her???? Just wondering, either way it is a sad situation and my prayers go out to the family and the little girl that she didn't suffer.

“News in Knoxville”

Since: Apr 07

Knoxville

#4 May 14, 2007
What an awful, freak accident! My prayers are with the family & friends. Having small children myself, I just can't imagine something like this happening! My sympathy is with all involved!

Since: Feb 07

Morristown

#5 May 14, 2007
As a mother of 2, I know that your children can get hurt even if you are standing there watching them. This is a horrible accident and I feel for this family.
Charter Vol

Linden, TN

#6 May 14, 2007
As the old saying goes "scissors" are dangerous.
Reader

Nashville, TN

#7 May 14, 2007
There is no way to anticipate every possible situation that a child can get into that can injure them. It's just a horrible accident. May God bless and comfort the family in this time of loss and grief.

“Life is Good!”

Since: Mar 07

Wartburg, TN

#8 May 14, 2007
God bless this family. Such a horrible thing to happen! I have kids,(Grown now) but accidents still happen. I have kept my scissors up on the refrigerator or on top of the cabinet all of my life, and always assumed the kids were safe if they were where they couldn't be reached, I guess that anything can happen. So sad, my thoughts and prayers are with the family.
megan

Kingston Springs, TN

#9 May 14, 2007
thats so sad
Child with Scissors

Wichita Falls, TX

#10 May 15, 2007
I just want to say, I'm so sorry to the family for their lost. Being a mother of three small children myself, I know you can be in all three places at one time to see what your children are getting into. This is a freak accident and something like this hurts the family tremiously and with the blame that you could've prevented this. But my prayers are with this family in hopes they are able to recover and fill joy that that little girl is in a better place now.
Duke Nukem

Luton, UK

#11 May 15, 2007
Ugh! Makes me sick! I feel sorry for that child, innit.
Clyde

New Johnsonville, TN

#12 May 15, 2007
Childproof scissors are out there. Terrible shame.
Sam

Montréal, Canada

#14 May 15, 2007
My thoughts for the family. I am terribly shocked by this and hope that it doesnt happen again to other toddlers.
Sara

Gadsden, AL

#15 May 15, 2007
How were they not watching the child. My little boy always grabs the kitchen chairs to get the sissors off the top of the fridge and I am always there to stop him because I watch my child
Charter Vol

New Johnsonville, TN

#16 May 15, 2007
Good thing you don't have to work, huh ?
BILL

Knoxville, TN

#17 May 15, 2007
I believe this is called "thinning the herd"?
Rachel

Kellogg, ID

#18 May 15, 2007
It wasn't really very clear on how she died...she was stabbed in the neck with the scissors? how? i don't get it.

poor family
Rachel

Kellogg, ID

#19 May 15, 2007
Wow. what i said right above me sounded really disrespectful. i didn't mean it like that. That poor family. My prayers are with them.
just blowing off steam

Gainesboro, TN

#20 May 15, 2007
Accidents happen!! This is so sad. My prayers go out to the family.
STEELER

Jacksonville, FL

#21 May 15, 2007
for anyone asking about why the parents werent watching their child... accidents happen. it doesnt say the parents were in the bathroom or checking the mail... we dont know anything about the child's parents. let's not jump to conclusions and say bad parenting. in the end, the child still has past away...
what a sad loss...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Verona Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CPS called on Nicole Flackenaecker? 1 hr Phil Trombino 18
Kylee buell 1 hr Ridiculous 3
Whitney Cavallo 4 hr uhhuh 5
Still driving with revoked/suspended drivers li... 4 hr KASRBB5277 3
scumbag mike dumpster 4 hr Fuckyou 41
read me 5 hr heythere 6
tammy mahoney (Aug '13) 7 hr Ur Trash 541
Verona Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web