A new home for nuke waste?

A new home for nuke waste?

There are 63 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Dec 4, 2010, titled A new home for nuke waste?. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Vermont may soon have competition for where it can dispose of its low-level nuclear waste, depending on new rules under consideration by a Texas commission.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
harlz

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Dec 4, 2010
"The land is a total waste," Zap said. "There’s no agriculture and no possible way to raise cattle because of the lack of water."

Sounds a lot like Yucca Mountain, but without a casino-owned Senate Majority Leader.
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#2 Dec 4, 2010
Interesting VTDIGGER had this story before the Reformer.
John Farmer

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Dec 4, 2010
Does this Shumlin guy really thinks everything revolves around him.
localbizman

Springfield, MA

#4 Dec 5, 2010
OK...we dump our waste there...what happenes to it...does it decay like everything else or just build up and then we find another site to dump? Is it hazardous?
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#5 Dec 5, 2010
localbizman wrote:
OK...we dump our waste there...what happenes to it...does it decay like everything else or just build up and then we find another site to dump? Is it hazardous?
The spent fuel can be recycled. However that program was stopped during the Carter Administration. If Obama's idea to extend our use of nuclear power comes to fruition then this "waste" could be recycled and used in breeder reactors as well as others. Breeder reactors would solve much of the "waste" issue.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/green...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35169512/ns/us_ne...
Don Kosloff

Lakewood, OH

#6 Dec 5, 2010
localbizman wrote:
OK...we dump our waste there...what happenes to it...does it decay like everything else or just build up and then we find another site to dump? Is it hazardous?
It won't be dumped there, it will be placed in an engineered storage facility and monitored. It will decay to harmless elements, unlike most hazardous waste.

Since: Nov 10

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Dec 5, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
The spent fuel can be recycled. However that program was stopped during the Carter Administration. If Obama's idea to extend our use of nuclear power comes to fruition then this "waste" could be recycled and used in breeder reactors as well as others. Breeder reactors would solve much of the "waste" issue.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/green...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35169512/ns/us_ne...
Do you know why the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II administrations didn't revive the breeder reactor program? Was it just because the nuclear power industry in general was in disrepute after TMI?

And a technical question: What is left over in a breeder reactor, besides re-enriched fuel? What type of waste?
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#8 Dec 5, 2010
Face the Fax wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know why the Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II administrations didn't revive the breeder reactor program? Was it just because the nuclear power industry in general was in disrepute after TMI?
And a technical question: What is left over in a breeder reactor, besides re-enriched fuel? What type of waste?
Perhaps you can enlighten us at to why Reagan,Clinton and Bush I & II did not revive the breeder reactor program and maybe further enlighten us as to why Obama is pro breeder reactor.
US Breeder Reactor Program:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Magazines/Bu...

According ot the experts-NONE

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

http://www.argee.net/DefenseWatch/Nuclear%20W...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_breeder_rea...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-nuclear-bre...
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#9 Dec 5, 2010
I think sustainability means using resources within our family to the most efficient means possible. You are transferring jobs and profits to Texas, never mind all that waste of fuel and CO2...I think the low level waste should be taken care of inside Vt or NH. Berlin NH is a interesting place. If you handle outside waste from other states, it is just gravy with profits and jobs. This stuff is really big money with little risk.
John Greenberg

White River Junction, VT

#10 Dec 6, 2010
The waste discussed here is so-called "low-level" waste, which specifically EXCLUDES "spent" fuel, which is designated as "high-level." VY's spent fuel will remain either in the spent fuel or in dry casks, as it is now.

"Localbizman" asks: "what happenes to it...does it decay like everything else or just build up and then we find another site to dump? Is it hazardous?"

Nuclear waste is toxic, in proportion to the amount of radiation it contains. It does decay over time, although some of the waste stream from VY will take literally millions of years to decay (e.g., I-129). The Texas facility is planned and designed to be the permanent resting place for this waste.

("Hazardous" waste is chemically toxic, and constitutes a separate category from this waste stream and regulated differently (by EPA). Waste which is both hazardous AND radioactive is called "mixed waste," and treated yet differently.
flat lander

United States

#11 Dec 6, 2010
That land has the perfect conditions for growing "TOMACCOS". A cross between tomatoes and tobacco.
Merry Christmas

Laconia, NH

#12 Dec 6, 2010
Medical
Radioactive medical waste tends to contain beta particle and gamma ray emitters. It can be divided into two main classes. In diagnostic nuclear medicine a number of short-lived gamma emitters such as technetium-99m are used. Many of these can be disposed of by leaving it to decay for a short time before disposal as normal waste. Other isotopes used in medicine, with half-lives in parentheses, include:

Y-90, used for treating lymphoma (2.7 days)
I-131, used for thyroid function tests and for treating thyroid cancer (8.0 days)
Sr-89, used for treating bone cancer, intravenous injection (52 days)
Ir-192, used for brachytherapy (74 days)
Co-60, used for brachytherapy and external radiotherapy (5.3 years)
Cs-137, used for brachytherapy, external radiotherapy (30 years)
Nuclear waste is perfectly safe and ready to reuse within 20 years.

Radioactive wastes come in many different forms including the following:
protective clothing of people in contact with radioactive materials
the remains of lab animals used in experiments with radionuclides
cooling water, used fuel rods, and old tools and parts from nuclear power plants
mill tailings from uranium-enrichment factories
old medical radiation equipment from hospitals and clinics
used smoke detectors which contain radioactive americium-241 sensors
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#13 Dec 6, 2010
Merry Christmas wrote:
Medical
Radioactive medical waste tends to contain beta particle and gamma ray emitters. It can be divided into two main classes. In diagnostic nuclear medicine a number of short-lived gamma emitters such as technetium-99m are used. Many of these can be disposed of by leaving it to decay for a short time before disposal as normal waste. Other isotopes used in medicine, with half-lives in parentheses, include:
Y-90, used for treating lymphoma (2.7 days)
I-131, used for thyroid function tests and for treating thyroid cancer (8.0 days)
Sr-89, used for treating bone cancer, intravenous injection (52 days)
Ir-192, used for brachytherapy (74 days)
Co-60, used for brachytherapy and external radiotherapy (5.3 years)
Cs-137, used for brachytherapy, external radiotherapy (30 years)
Nuclear waste is perfectly safe and ready to reuse within 20 years.
Radioactive wastes come in many different forms including the following:
protective clothing of people in contact with radioactive materials
the remains of lab animals used in experiments with radionuclides
cooling water, used fuel rods, and old tools and parts from nuclear power plants
mill tailings from uranium-enrichment factories
old medical radiation equipment from hospitals and clinics
used smoke detectors which contain radioactive americium-241 sensors
"Nuclear waste is perfectly safe and ready to reuse within 20 years."

Rememeber West Valley NY with the high level reprocessing?
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#14 Dec 6, 2010
How much of the VY decommissioning cost is going to go towards transportation and dump storage.
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#15 Dec 6, 2010
You know, Texas has such a poor record of state regulation over anything...they are going to screw the rad waste dump up and make it costly for every Texan.

I just think if Vermont sends off their rad waste to other states, they has a serious ethical obligation to make sure the state regulators have the capability to take care of their responsibilities.

You just can't send this stuff off to a state regulatory Wal-Mart...cut rate Wal-Mart state over sight.
Merry Christmas

Brattleboro, VT

#16 Dec 6, 2010
mike mulligan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Nuclear waste is perfectly safe and ready to reuse within 20 years."
Rememeber West Valley NY with the high level reprocessing?
No, but the info I posted was speaking to low level medical rad waste. Does your reference have something to do with that?
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#17 Dec 6, 2010
exactly...had to be sure!
Don Kosloff

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Dec 7, 2010
mike mulligan wrote:
I think sustainability means using resources within our family to the most efficient means possible. You are transferring jobs and profits to Texas, never mind all that waste of fuel and CO2...I think the low level waste should be taken care of inside Vt or NH. Berlin NH is a interesting place. If you handle outside waste from other states, it is just gravy with profits and jobs. This stuff is really big money with little risk.
It is a waste to transport nuclear waste, but hysteria leads to irrational policy.
mike mulligan

Boston, MA

#19 Dec 7, 2010
The nuke's ideology and their worship of money makes everything nuke unpalatable...they threw something good down the toilet for their egotism.
Noel

Brattleboro, VT

#20 Dec 7, 2010
mike mulligan wrote:
The nuke's ideology and their worship of money makes everything nuke unpalatable...they threw something good down the toilet for their egotism.
What you term worship of the mighty dollar; I believe is worship of a superior choice for our local and world environment. Develop another: more environmentally friendly, domestic source, comparable capacity factors and carbon footprint, and I will be on board with that source as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Declaration of Dependence -by We The Sheeple 16 hr Alex -Infowars do... 3
News Maine hopefuls split on gay unions (Sep '10) Sun Alex - Infowars d... 153
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Sun Anonymous 62
What 'Religious Freedom' Really Means Jul 4 WhenFoolsRushIn 74
True Marriage Is...One Man, One Woman Jul 1 God Made Adam and... 7
Vermonts new economy (Jun '14) Jun 29 Cloward-Piven 2016 178
News Protesters see long road ahead (Dec '14) Mar '15 BDV 14
More from around the web

Vernon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Vernon Mortgages