Letter Box

There are 3 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Letter Box. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Now Entergy Nuclear says they can "sell" the Vernon nuclear power plant. It's a transparent scheme, designed to avoid their contractual responsibilities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#1 Nov 30, 2010
"Did anyone else notice the fine print in the news the other day -- that when the main water-cooling loop broke the other day and the plant was shut down, there was no back-up cooling loop"

That is plainly a bold faced lie. The main cooling water loop didn't break as you say it started to drip. So there was still plenty of cooling. It is true that there is only one loop of feedwater system, but once the plant was shutdown it was able to be put in "shutdown cooling" which has 2 different loops and 4 pumps available (of which only one is needed). If the reactor feed system did break open so it couldnt add any water to the vessel then there are 10 other pumps that could inject water into the reactor in order to keep it cool. The fact that you need to use scare tactics (lies) in order to get average people to want to shut the plant down is very telling. If the science and facts backed the closing of VY then you would not have to resort to lying, thus I guess it is easy to tell whats the facts and science say.
Stanley

Brattleboro, VT

#2 Nov 30, 2010
Thanks Phil Steckler. Clearly during the last couple of decades Vermont has become bloated with government employees. Vermont has 625 employees per hundred thousand people. The New England average is 518.

Our schools have the one of the smallest student teacher ratios in the country. Sounds like a good thing but in the end we don't have anything to show for it.

Companies all over Brattleboro have cut benefits like the 401k match, contributions for health care, wage freezes, and in some cases wage cuts. I am familiar with one company which cut it's work force by nearly half. It had to to survive.

It is time we get realistic about the future of our local government services and our government employees, who are no more deserving of thanks than any employee who does what he is paid for, have to help out by taking some of the pain.
Stanley

Brattleboro, VT

#3 Nov 30, 2010
I see the anti VY crowd has organized another letter writing campaign populated by the current set of talking points.

What we all have to remember is that these people have made up their minds and there is nothing anyone can say or do to change their point of view. They suffer from the condition called "Nuclear Fear". See this:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/forum/november96/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If the rich are getting richer, what's happenin... (Apr '14) Apr 20 Radio Flyer 3016 20
News Man charged with inappropriately touching child Apr 7 Anonymous 1
News Former employee suing Mack Molding over alleged... Jan '18 Comrade Sanders 2
News Diversity dialogue to continue in Brattleboro (Aug '17) Dec '17 Comrade Sanders 6
News Protesters see long road ahead (Dec '14) Mar '15 BDV 14
Entergy Subsidiaries Agree to Buy Union Power S... (Dec '14) Dec '14 ManyKilled By Str... 6
News Vernon's police chief speaks out after departme... (Mar '14) Nov '14 Patty O Furniture 20

Vernon Jobs

Personal Finance

Vernon Mortgages