VY closed to fix leak

The Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant was shut down Sunday night after a small leak of radioactive water was discovered in the system pipe section in the turbine building. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Todd

Townshend, VT

#1 Nov 8, 2010
Let us hope Governor Peter Shumlim follows through with closing this worn-down monstrosity.

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#2 Nov 8, 2010
The governor cannot do this. Filling state jobs w/appointees who will do their jobs, work for the state of VT & residents instead of serving & socializing w/Entergy as off-the-books staff on the VT dime would be a start.

Giving the present D'OH! plus Irwin the boot would further cut Entergy's supply network.

Moving on to PSD/DPS, sh**canning O'Brien, Entergy mascot & personal sockpuppet-in-chief another step to the path of ending VTs forced occuption by Entergy.

It is the legislature who has the say, they have said they do not plan to take it up.

A buyer would want a guarantee of relicensing, VT would likely demand decom fund be topped off, would likely want pipes brought above ground, also needs $100 million condenser & a few other accessories.

An act of desperation to cover everyone's tracks & true condition of the plant. I think it looks rather bleak.

S. Londonderry VT

#3 Nov 8, 2010
Vermont Yankee shuts down due to water pipe leak
By Dave Gram, The Associated Press • Sunday, November 7, 2010

"... It was the second shutdown within an hour at a plant owned by New Orleans-based Entergy Corp.
A transformer exploded at a nuclear power plant north of New York City, forcing an emergency shutdown of one of its reactors. No one was injured and no radioactive materials leaked...
...Indian Point 2, would remain offline until investigators could determine the cause of the explosion.

NRC spokesman Neil Sheehan called the two shutdowns "complete coincidence."
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20...
Allen

Townshend, VT

#4 Nov 8, 2010
The outage at the 38-year-old Vermont Yankee plant WOULD NOT cause any shortage of power in New England, which has a SURPLUS of electricity.

WHY then would anyone wish this dinosaur to remain active?(answer: greedy corporate profits and narrow-minded job security).
Improve our local economy with the surge of jobs that will result in the PERMANENT shut-down of Vermont Yankee. Not only from the clean-up but from the jobs associated with alternative energy.
Anne

Townshend, VT

#5 Nov 8, 2010
PLEASE shut down Vermont Yankee PERMANENTLY before a more serious accident happens - one which cannot be diluted by Sheehan, Smith, or Entergy. One which would permanently ruin the whole North-East forever!
Stanley

Brattleboro, VT

#6 Nov 8, 2010
Allen wrote:
The outage at the 38-year-old Vermont Yankee plant WOULD NOT cause any shortage of power in New England, which has a SURPLUS of electricity.
WHY then would anyone wish this dinosaur to remain active?(answer: greedy corporate profits and narrow-minded job security).
Improve our local economy with the surge of jobs that will result in the PERMANENT shut-down of Vermont Yankee. Not only from the clean-up but from the jobs associated with alternative energy.
Having a surplus is the normal state of affairs. It allows the managment of supply to the consumer as cheaply as it can be managed. Having a shortage, even by a little, is a disaster for everyone. Electricity in a shortage is very expensive. Brown outs. Check out the trouble that California has in the event of a shortage.

The real greedy thing to do is to run the plant safely. Running it safely is worth billions while cutting corners would only save millions. Which would you do?
John Farmer

United States

#7 Nov 8, 2010
People like Northstardust are idiotic for wanting to close down Yankee or they have an alternative agenda. The fact is Yankee is safe and will remain safe. People like Northstardump and for that matter any anti-nuclear activist have never been able to show any legitimate peer reviewed scientific studies that illustrate how Yankee has or will harm anyone. In fact the evidence shows that if you close Yankee more people will die due the fact that the NE will have to rely more on coal for their electrical needs. I would not be surprised at all if Northsmelldump is on the pay roll of fossil fuel industry. Let’s not forget that it is the fossil fuel industry that will benefit the most if Yankee closes.

This fact remains that no one has ever died due to an acute dose of radiation in the western production of nuclear power. In fact radiation hormesis theory which is backed up by many legitimate scientific studies says long term low level dose is in fact good for you. Here is link listing a few of the studies dealing with radiation hormesis.

http://worldwidescience.org/topicpages/h/horm...

I doubt Northsmelldump will agree for Northsmelldump has shown over and over that he thinks legitimate peer reviewed science is lie. Boy this guy would have really been somebody if he was around during the inquisition. I am sure someone like him hounded Galileo Galilei.

Jfarmer9
LawyerCalhoun

Chester, VT

#8 Nov 8, 2010
Right now is a buyers market on the wholesale power grid. It would be an auspicious time to change the source of supply.

Since: Mar 10

Little Rock, AR

#9 Nov 8, 2010
I'm glad that the leak was identified in a timely manner and the plant shutdown right after. Stanly, I agree with you that it is far better to run the plant safely to maximize profit. Allen, you really think shutting down the plant will create jobs by letting alternative energy in?
leaky pete

Grantham, NH

#10 Nov 8, 2010
Wonder if it took them two years to "discover" this leak too?
Mike Mulligan

Boston, MA

#11 Nov 8, 2010
John Farmer wrote:
People like Northstardust are idiotic for wanting to close down Yankee or they have an alternative agenda. The fact is Yankee is safe and will remain safe. People like Northstardump and for that matter any anti-nuclear activist have never been able to show any legitimate peer reviewed scientific studies that illustrate how Yankee has or will harm anyone. In fact the evidence shows that if you close Yankee more people will die due the fact that the NE will have to rely more on coal for their electrical needs. I would not be surprised at all if Northsmelldump is on the pay roll of fossil fuel industry. Let’s not forget that it is the fossil fuel industry that will benefit the most if Yankee closes.
This fact remains that no one has ever died due to an acute dose of radiation in the western production of nuclear power. In fact radiation hormesis theory which is backed up by many legitimate scientific studies says long term low level dose is in fact good for you. Here is link listing a few of the studies dealing with radiation hormesis.
I doubt Northsmelldump will agree for Northsmelldump has shown over and over that he thinks legitimate peer reviewed science is lie. Boy this guy would have really been somebody if he was around during the inquisition. I am sure someone like him hounded Galileo Galilei.
Jfarmer9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surry_Nuclear_Po...

On December 9, 1986, a steam explosion in the non-nuclear part of Unit 2 killed 4 workers. This was the worst accident in terms of human cost of any in the US nuclear industry.

That is the accident we are worried about.
John Farmer

United States

#13 Nov 8, 2010
"On December 9, 1986, a steam explosion in the non-nuclear part of Unit 2 killed 4 workers. This was the worst accident in terms of human cost of any in the US nuclear industry.

That is the accident we are worried about." -Mike Mulligan

Oh is this your concern today. It is so hard to tell because every day you guys have a different spin on your fear mongering.

I guess this is a greater concern than all the people who die from coal and natural gas explosions? Please list one legitimate fact or legitimate scientific study that shows how western nuclear power has or will kill anyone.

Jfarmer9
Mike Mulligan

Boston, MA

#14 Nov 8, 2010
There it is, you got four!
worried

Grantham, NH

#15 Nov 8, 2010
I am most worried by the virtual bullseye painted on the roof of the densley, re-racked, suspended used fuel pool, but there are many other terrible scenarios that might play out givin the apparent lack of oversight and economic pressures.

S. Londonderry VT

#16 Nov 8, 2010
John Farmer wrote:
Jfarmer9
Congratulations! Yet another complete, unadulterated load of crap *and* big fat lie(s). But, that's par for the course for you. It's all you do & all you are able to do.

Couldn't tell the truth to save your life.

Still p&&&d I never took your bait to 'discuss' the issue on your terms, play your game after you had moved the goal posts or poker game, w/stacked deck of course. Wah!

Simply regurgitate your same-old same-old complete & utter nonsense, continue to hurl your putrifying rot on these threads as the rest of the Entergy trolls, e-thugs & pronuclear claque.

Yes, we know 'our friends & neighbors' very well & IAMVY your such a wonderful example of why VT does not want Entergy occupying our state any longer.

And, I'm honored by your namecalling, insults & personal attacks. Bring it on big brave bada&s bigot boy, your fire will graciously be returned coward.

S. Londonderry VT

#17 Nov 8, 2010
Mr Burns wrote:
I'm glad that the leak was identified in a timely manner and the plant shutdown right after. Stanly, I agree with you that it is far better to run the plant safely to maximize profit. Allen, you really think shutting down the plant will create jobs by letting alternative energy in?
Very funny. Spoken like a true bureaucrat. Well, most of us have pretty much had it w/all the bureaucratic bs long ago. Not really in the mood for this ridiculous rubbish right now.
I want to live

Jamaica, VT

#18 Nov 8, 2010
Now we do not need a computer generated model of the electrical grid after the plant closes, we have the real thing.Where are the melting lines from an overload on the grid? This plant has been off line many times and I never heard of an overload on the grid because of it.
Nukular Advocate

Springfield, MA

#19 Nov 8, 2010
Oh no! VY is offline! The entire grid is going down! We're all doooooomed! Read by candles! Pay double! Wooga wooga!
Rich

Richland, WA

#20 Nov 8, 2010
Natural gas kills (through explosions or suffication) hundreds of people a year in the US. Commercial Nuclear power has never killed a single person in the US. People should put their emotions aside and try not to be ignorant of science and fact.
shut it down

Provincetown, MA

#21 Nov 8, 2010
I think alot of us had had enough of Entergy and VY. Shutting this think down will make alot of us sleep better. Odd how Entergy is now selling the plant after a newly elected Gov. who does not support the plant. Hopefully Entergy will be stuck with shutting it down in 2012, they deserve it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just another religious criminal 5 min End The Fed by Ro... 31
Obama: 'Help Us Destroy Jesus And Start A New A... (Sep '12) 23 min tree of knowledge 44
When ‘Religious Liberty’ Was Used To Deny All H... (Mar '14) 28 min hanged for resist... 141
Truth reason knowledge (Dec '12) 1 hr progress 556
Ostruction of Justce in Vernon? 1 hr Maddow Didnt Tell... 7
Tectonic Shift (Dec '12) 2 hr low information v... 425
Ayn Rand Fri reality 33

Vernon News Video

Vernon Dating
Find my Match

Vernon Jobs

Vernon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Vernon News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Vernon