Illinois Senate approves ban on smoking in public places

Mar 30, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Journal-Gazette

“We spend billions of dollars of taxpayers' money in health care”

All restaurants and bars across Illinois would have to go smoke-free under legislation approved Thursday by the state Senate. via Journal-Gazette

Comments
61 - 70 of 70 Comments Last updated Nov 27, 2010
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bdjunker

Oakland Mills, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2007

Judged:

just candid wrote:
<quoted text>Light rail is a wonderful concept, however this forum is not about that.
canDIP is playing forum moderator again. How's your BMI canDIP? Are you starting to hoard your Twinkies?

ROFLMAO
Frank Quincy

West Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2007

Ban smoking in bars, then make criminals out of hard working people. Don't want to smell it, don't come in. Also how about that nasty smell of perfume that people bath in before they go out. I have to smell when I'm trying to eat or enjoy a drink. Burns my nose, eyes and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Lets ban perfumme on people!! YES!! I will go to the senate on that on! Lets get that perfume ban going.$500 fine for smelly perfume. Wake up people. Losing our country little by little.
ozone

Chicago Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2007

Johnboy wrote:
You like to smoke I can understand but the smoke is a byproduct of your pleasure. It gets in my clothes, my hair and my lungs. I like to drink. When I do, urine is the byproduct. Would you like it if I stood on a chair and pissed all over your hair and clothes and in your lungs? I mean, it's my right to pee.
Bans on smoking in public make sense to a certain point..But not when it comes to bars that will wind up in financial distress because drinking usually leads to having a smoke for most people, it will cause businesses to go under.As far as the "Golden Shower" argument is concerned,you've got some issues that seem to be a bit kinky.On the other hand pissing on some people might make them smell better.

Since: Jul 07

rock island ill.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

what about leaves burning along the curbs and grills what so they now start to care about health when thousands work and don't get heath care they dont pay for it alot of illegals get it for free heck i don't im born bred in iowa why smokers they are raising tax yet again and then the manufactures are raising prices and now this! the goverment needs to worry on bigger/better things krueschev whatever its spelled old russian president said america will be communist and not a shot will be fired.damn we are done in buy our own government stay tuned peoples mores to follow....peace out
Dianne

Oak Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Tommy wrote:
What really bothers me is when my neighbors use their grills. All that smoke, and who knows what all fumes are being released with that charcoal! When the wind is right it goes right into my house. I don't want my kids getting sick from that, and it makes my house smell. I have the right to have my windows open on a nice day.
Another thing that bothers me is the smell of wine from all those alcoholics that have to drink with their dinner at restaurants. The smell of alcohol just ruins the taste of a good meal. I have the right to enjoy a meal that I paid good money for.
I don't think they should put houses near highways. It's a health hazard with all those fumes and brake dust and noise and stuff. It's bad for the kids. They're going to grow up with breathing problems and probably get cancer.
I'm going to contact my representative to see if we can ban this stuff.
Did I miss anything?
You're getting a good laugh out of that, aren't you? But if they can do it to smokers, they can do it to you too. And eventually they will. Just a heads-up for what's coming.
I agree w/you...where will it end? Seems a little communistic to me, maybe we should bring our troops back home so they can fight here for OUR freedom...
Kent

Williamsport, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

ghmtcab wrote:
Just one more right gone.
Eventually the government will take our money away too, and give us a card to use. All transactions will be recorded. They can fine you anytime they want. They will have 100% access, just to keep track of everything you do. Think about it. Its been predicted already, and I'll probably never see it, but it will happen someday.
I smell a Revolution coming, maybe not in my life time, but it will happen.
I just hope it wont be too late!
He!! I just hope they don't start it without me!
Rex

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2007

Tell me if I can smoke, or not. What in the hell do they think I am some kid they can push around? Just wait until voting time comes around again, see who i vote for and don't.
mustaine

Pekin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2007

Judged:

take a mortal man
put him in control
watch him become a god
Against evil

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Maddie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey kill yourself slowly...doesn't matter to me. But once you see someone having an asthma attack due to one smoker in a diner. Maybe you will think twice. Have you ever had to watch your younger sister to make sure she is breathing and not turning purple? Ya it's not fun. Smoking is self centered plain and simple. You can argue all day that you belong inside smoking. But I can tell you once you go through that type of trauma. Almost seeing someone die due to one cigarette. It makes you think twice. Hope you understand where some people are coming from.
What do you do when your neighbors all around you are burning theyre nasty garbage? Thats awhole lot worsh then a cig smoking! I have asthma! Yet that is allowed! Where is peoples common sense any more?

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

Judged:

Hopefully, they'll relax the ban now.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Vernon Hills Discussions

Search the Vernon Hills Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min truth 49,011
Judge jay ukena (Mar '13) 7 hr Susanne Wood 120
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 12 hr nono 3,849
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 23 hr newpoly 1,867
home choice stores (Aug '09) Tue Adam Scurry 17
Police Blotter (Jun '10) Jul 27 Sam 21
Jonah Kinsloving Jul 27 The Professor 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Vernon Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••