McCarthy's -- A dining delight

McCarthy's -- A dining delight

There are 15 comments on the The News-Sun story from Jan 12, 2007, titled McCarthy's -- A dining delight. In it, The News-Sun reports that:

I'm not a professional restaurant critic, nor do I pretend to be one. But I do enjoy food.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The News-Sun.

Wolfhound668

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2007
Funny, I visited the same restaurant and had a completely different experience. All the food we had was over-priced and either over or underdone. As for "American comfort foods with an Irish twist" according to the employees that were hovering over us when we were trying to eat this restaurant is owned and operated by a Polish family that have no idea what Irish cooking is. When the owner found out that I'm Irish and that my wife and I love Irish cooking he was practically begging me for hints at cooking Irish. Complete hogwash. As I posted in a review on my blog after visiting the resturant "giving a place an Irish name, painting shamrocks on the floor, and hanging Guinness signs on the wall does not an Irish restaurant make".
LMM1019

North Chicago, IL

#2 Feb 27, 2007
My mom and I went shortly after it opened and I have to say, the food was wonderful and well prepared (especially the Potato soup...Mmmmmm). As far as being overpriced, I disagree! I think it was very comparable to John's Garage. I thought it was wonderful food!!! Regardless of whether or not the owners are Irish...absolutely wonderful in my opinion!
Vernon Hills

United States

#3 Mar 20, 2007
I wish people would get their facts straight before writing reviews (arlington heights)- although EDUCATED people form their own opinions. But, for the record - I know all the owners personally and have been to McCarthy's several times since they opened in November. There are three families that came together to create their OWN restaurant. Their family crest is displayed nicely above the host stand and represents their Irish and Scottish heritages. McCarthy IS also a family name (for the record). Owner/executive chef Steve collaborated with his partners and created a beautiful menu that appeals to everyone. FINALLY NOT an Irish "chain" restaurant. The owners actually run the restaurant and pub!! They are always there talking with customers making sure everyone has a good experience. The food is fabulous for the price - all fresh ingredients - not like the CHAINS where everything is prepared ahead of time. This restaurant isn't trying to be like the others - it has it's own identity that took its customers into consideration when creating their concept! THANK YOU MCCARTHYS!!! Vernon Hills needed this!!!
Lakemoor

Island Lake, IL

#4 Apr 18, 2007
I was in for lunch with my mom last week. We had a very friendly server with a lot of suggestions and great comments on the menu. I had eggrolls and the southwestern burger. Excellent presentation and the burger was perfectly done. I think their pricing is in line with all the other restaurants. Have you gone to panera lately????
Tom and Sandy

La Grange, IL

#5 May 8, 2007
We did not like the place.
The place is very noisy and not conversation friendly.
The french fries are large and soggy.
I had the Black and Bleu Hamburger. Disgusting. The bun fell apart after 2 bites...and the bleu cheese had too much of a sharp bite to it.
My wife had the pulled pork,,,,did not like it and it was strange that they put cheese on it (Pulled pork and cheese....yuk}
Cole Slaw was like stuff you forgot in your fridge for 2 weeks and tried again.
Nice waitress but very arrogant other staff.
I will never go back even with their 25% off coupons.
Avoid this place unless you like greasy hamburgers where the bun falls apart, french fries that you get cold and mushy and arrogant staff. This place is an arrogant F-
Julie

United States

#6 Jun 11, 2007
Wow - Tom and Sandy must not get out much. McCarthy's is the bomb! A restaurant with friendly staff and fresh food - away from the chain restaurant - I'd eat there every day! It's affordable too. I have been there at least twice a month since they opened in November of 06 and never been unhappy! Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you know quality fresh food - you'll love McCarthy's. Maybe Tom and Sandy are used to frozen dry food??? Either way - check it out - great entertainment on the weekends too!
Karen

Lake Zurich, IL

#7 Jun 12, 2007
Hey, I've been to McCarthy's with my husband and daughters about half a dozen times now and, though I'd say the experiences have been a bit uneven, on the whole it has been a really pleasant place to eat.

The food has been excellent--though have to agree with one comment that Tom and Sandy made: who puts cheese on pulled pork?:-)--with the exception of too-greasy sweet potato fries on our very first visit. The service has varied from indifferent to highly attentive and friendly, but never "arrogant," and I'm a huge tipper, so I just figure that an inattentive waitperson just saved me 30% of the bill.:-)

What can I say? I like the place! I don't know if Julie is their daughter or what, but she's right: it's a nice restaurant and a welcome change of pace from the chains.
Resident

Schaumburg, IL

#8 Jun 14, 2007
I've been to McCarthy's three times now and I've found the service lacking in attention, and extremely weak Irish menu, and VERY weak Whiskey selection.

All in all this is a gussied up Applebee's. They wont be get my hard earned dollars ever again.
Mundelein

Logansport, IN

#9 May 21, 2008
Great salads! Good food all the way around and nice atmosphere. Since trying this place we have been getting take-out from there on a weekly basis.

Highly recommended and great service!
Eire

Chicago, IL

#10 Aug 2, 2008
Oddly enough, I've ordered the same foods people are complaining about, and a large group of real IRISH friends have gone to this place and loved it! So the arguments that it's a weak Irish menu and horrible food and service does not hold up, in my opinion.
Used to be a reg

Mundelein, IL

#11 Aug 28, 2008
We used to go to the pub for their great drink specials, and the service was generally pretty good. We hadn't been there for awhile, so we decided to venture back to watch the Bears game tonight.
So, we sit down at the bar-and on the big screen TV, with sound is "Family Guy". Not that I don't love a good episode of FG, but "HELLO" the Bears game is on!!!
Then the bartender takes our order-sandwich for me, entree for my boyfriend. Bartender shows up 15 min. later with a bowl of soup?? Guess the entree came with either soup or salad-news to us, he never asked.
Now, before everyone attacks me about this-yeah, I know we sat at the bar not at a table. Maybe he was overwhelmed, I get it. Not my problem-hire another server for the bar on game nights if that is a problem. Bartenders make tips on food, just like the waitstaff.
Then, after waiting 15 min for another beer (mind you, the manager is aimlessly wandering around talking to people-not paying attention)We decide to get our check. 10 minutes later, we flag down the manager, who delivers our check. Then, as we place the card on the bar, walks away without taking the bill. So, I get up walk the 5 feet to the register, hand the guy our bill and finally get out of there! By the way, at this point, the place had pretty much cleared out-no crowd.
We eat out a ton, and spend a lot of time eating at bars, so we can watch games. This by far is the worst service I have ever experienced! Bad service is the worst sin in the Bar business!!!!!
Do yourself a favor, head over to Morgan's in Libertyville!
Vernon Hills Resident

Schaumburg, IL

#12 Sep 8, 2008
I pretty much have to agree that service ranges from spotty to poor. I have never walked out thinking "wow, they really are attentive to their customers"
I'm from the UK and I disagree with an erlier comment. The food is far from authentic and the whisky selection is lacking to say the least.

But should we actually expect any more from a place that resides in the mall and has the ambience of a bennigans or chilis ?

That being said, they must be doing something right to be still in business.
Wondering

Chicago, IL

#13 Jan 16, 2009
After hearing so much about McCarthy's,my daughter and I went last night for the first time. We went rather early for supper and virtually no one was in the dining area. The service was so-so and the food was too. The appetizer we ordered was almost burnt and my daughter refused to eat it. She ordered from the kids menu--one of her favorites mini burgers and I asked how she liked them. She said she didn't like the burgers and she did not like the fries either. My kid loves eating out because it is a treat, and she is NEVER, EVER a picky eater.
I have to agree with her on the food, though. I ate the appetizer only because it cost almost $8, and my grilled veggie sandwich was nothing to write home about either.

Would we go again...maybe, but probably only once more to see if last night was an off one, and the place is as good as I heard.
Jay

Mundelein, IL

#14 Mar 3, 2009
Hey my family owns this restaurant and my cousin happens to be McCarthy. I go here almost all the time and i always get something good i don't think they have bad service. You should all go in there again if you have had bad service. Try it if you have never been there. It has great food!
Jay

Mundelein, IL

#15 Mar 3, 2009
And just for the record we are NOT polish.
Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) 5 hr Dumpson 175
News Three men charged in Waukegan robberies Mon Hanif Darr 1
News 60 years later, gang leader's slaying still uns... (Jan '08) Mon Rachel 1,223
Hottest women in Fairfield? (Oct '16) Jan 16 Biggie d 12
Neo-Nazi Pedophile Steve Turpel in Arlington He... (Nov '10) Jan 12 Wantingmoreinfo 75
News Mundelein High School coach fired following sex... Sep '17 uchrisbrown 1
News All-gender restrooms added to Libertyville High... (Sep '16) Sep '16 parent 1

Vernon Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vernon Hills Mortgages