Vermilion Board of Education Passes $...

Vermilion Board of Education Passes $2.8M Student Computer Initiative

There are 22 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Vermilion Board of Education Passes $2.8M Student Computer Initiative. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

VERMILION, Ohio -- When is the right time to invest in the future? That is a question sparking controversy in Vermilion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cindy Hall

Griffin, GA

#1 Jun 24, 2010
I think this makes a lot of sense..Especially,when it comes to saving school supplies (paper,files,storage,etc)What student wouldn't benefit from this.Let's hope that Apple will give a deep discount,a great service plan and an inexpensive upgrade program every 2years when the now computer becomes ancient.Apple knows that once you have introduced a student to an Apple (MAC computer)they will be hooked for life.....And what teacher doesn't like an apple.
Also,I love your new hire.She's fresh,energetic,and beautiful.Good Job Fox 8
zero

Redford, MI

#2 Jun 25, 2010
As a taxpayer, I am glad to provide a basic education to the students in my district. However, when it comes to 'extras', these expenses have to be paid for by the parents of the kids recieving them. Sports, music and after school activities fall outside of a basic education and should be paid for by the parents of the kids that use these programs. What will be next... a new car when they turn 16?

“[type a headline here]”

Since: Apr 10

Strongsville, OH

#3 Jun 25, 2010
DISABLE THE WEB CAMS KIDS!

What in gods name does a 5th grader need an iTouch for?! And why not re-hire 17 Teachers! ASS BACKWARDS... they're going to have the kids pay for the laptops then turn around and sell them to make a profit.. watch.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Jun 25, 2010
The board is making it easier for the students to play on Facebook and surf for porn. Excellent!
liars and fools

Crossville, TN

#5 Jun 25, 2010
If a parent wants their child to have a PC great the stores are full of of all types. Once again government is saying what you have to have.

Our schools systems never have enough money because like the government they just tax and spend. The teachers unions are so strong that will all the benefits we will are always going in the red. How few days they teach out of the year unlike the rest of us who work all year: how many hrs are spent in the classroom they have noithing to complain about. But they use the kids as bargaining chips over all the areas. How dare they not get everything; how many of you paying their salaries have the same benefits and hours?

By the way will the PC teach them how to make change, do simple computations in their heads and maybe spell correctly?

“[type a headline here]”

Since: Apr 10

Strongsville, OH

#6 Jun 25, 2010
Wise Observer wrote:
The board is making it easier for the students to play on Facebook and surf for porn. Excellent!
There has to be a bad teacher joke in here somewhere.... Can't find it...
Kellie Pancost

United States

#7 Jun 25, 2010
Great job reporting on this story, Allie! I think you'll be a great addition to Fox 8 news.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#8 Jun 25, 2010
Kellie Pancost wrote:
Great job reporting on this story, Allie! I think you'll be a great addition to Fox 8 news.
Where did this Allie LeForce come from?! She is smoking hot and I mean SMOKING HOT! Love the mini-skirt too!

“[type a headline here]”

Since: Apr 10

Strongsville, OH

#9 Jun 25, 2010
Wise Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did this Allie LeForce come from?! She is smoking hot and I mean SMOKING HOT! Love the mini-skirt too!
Do you eat a bowl of viagra in the morning?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#10 Jun 25, 2010
JCU Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you eat a bowl of viagra in the morning?
Did you check her out?!

“[type a headline here]”

Since: Apr 10

Strongsville, OH

#11 Jun 25, 2010
Wise Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you check her out?!
i will never doubt you again.
Vermilion Resident

Perrysburg, OH

#12 Jun 25, 2010
Kudo's to Dale Dawson for standing up for what he believes. When 45% of the students in Vermilion receive free lunches, do they honestly believe that they can pay to "use" a MAC book?

This board needs to wake up.
nicole

Vermilion, OH

#13 Jun 26, 2010
this is totally dumb! what about the parents who either dont have a large income, or a job at all! are they going to get discounts?
Class member of 2010

Vermilion, OH

#14 Jun 26, 2010
WHAT A DISASTER! Demolishing school buildings, bringing more kids into schools that already have crowded halls in between blocks, period scheduling which means kids sharing books...& all of this technology at once? I can't even comprehend why a student that is learning their ABC's would need the responsibility of having to carry around 2 electronics that they will more than likley never use.Look at the Perkins school district, they have laptops and barley use them for anything they do. Yes, it may save on paper...and sure, kids wont have to go to great lengths to type a report, but 90 percent of people in this world have a household computer, and that is what e-mailing and the Library that Vermilion just spent an awful ammount of money on is for. I am SO happy that i graduated before this school district was plunging FURTHER into a debt crisis...What a perfect way to fix it, SPEND MORE MONEY!
Class member of 2010

Vermilion, OH

#15 Jun 26, 2010
and if they have "extra money in the budget" why the hell are they cutting bussing for everyone over grade 8!? they're going to the highschool. so now, my 8th grade sister gets to ride the bus, yet my sister who will be a junior living in the SAME household going to the SAME school will have to somehow obtain a ride...? god, this whole system will FAIL and it is pitiful that some of us who actually enjoy this town have to sit around and watch.
Class member of 2013

Deerfield, OH

#16 Jun 26, 2010
I dont understand why a child in grades K- 5 need a Ipod touch. A child that young can not be reposible enough to carry a device so expensive. High school students cant even carry enough responsibilty because most of them cant remember to bring pencils, pens, books, etc. How can our school district afford these devices but cant afford high school busing? As a sophmore I get to watch my 8th grade sister get on the bus while I have to walk, even though we are going to the same place at the same time. That to me doesnt sound right! Another conflict that our school board has is the conflicts between 8th grade students and high school students. In meetings, Mr. Pempin said that 8th graders wouldnt be in the way of upperclassmen. Well that statement did not carry through because there are eigth graders in my lunch! I understand that our school board needs money and needs to attract people but this isnt the neccsary way! What if our school system promoted healthier eating styles? Dont you think that people would find interest? I know if I was a parent I would enroll my child in that school district. Technology is getting way out of hand! People dont need to use technology everyday to get through in life. Why cant we just use our actual brain?
Llamamamma

Japan

#17 Jun 26, 2010
Wonderful! Giving low income and low performing districts access and familiarity with common technologies will really streamline their progress into more meaningful or higher modes of education.
nicole

Vermilion, OH

#18 Jun 26, 2010
Class member of 2013 wrote:
I dont understand why a child in grades K- 5 need a Ipod touch. A child that young can not be reposible enough to carry a device so expensive. High school students cant even carry enough responsibilty because most of them cant remember to bring pencils, pens, books, etc. How can our school district afford these devices but cant afford high school busing? As a sophmore I get to watch my 8th grade sister get on the bus while I have to walk, even though we are going to the same place at the same time. That to me doesnt sound right! Another conflict that our school board has is the conflicts between 8th grade students and high school students. In meetings, Mr. Pempin said that 8th graders wouldnt be in the way of upperclassmen. Well that statement did not carry through because there are eigth graders in my lunch! I understand that our school board needs money and needs to attract people but this isnt the neccsary way! What if our school system promoted healthier eating styles? Dont you think that people would find interest? I know if I was a parent I would enroll my child in that school district. Technology is getting way out of hand! People dont need to use technology everyday to get through in life. Why cant we just use our actual brain?
I'm an 8th grader this year and i totally agree with you, we will be in the way, I seen the hall ways last year and how they excpect us to fit in with them I do not know,, I think they should of thought this through more. not just to attract people.

“[type a headline here]”

Since: Apr 10

Strongsville, OH

#19 Jun 27, 2010
Llamamamma wrote:
Wonderful! Giving low income and low performing districts access and familiarity with common technologies will really streamline their progress into more meaningful or higher modes of education.
The true issue is they have no need for an iTouch in K-5 and if there are computers in the class room there is no need for laptops. Kids will just break them... Also, why not reinvest in teachers? You and I did not have laptops in high school, why get them now? Back to basics! Our Parents got wonderful educations and built this country without a computer teaching them, why can our children not get the same?
seth

United States

#21 Jul 16, 2010
I think the laptop thing wouyld work. Like the cousuler state it would bring people back to vermilion. I am happy there buses back to. The laptop thing would help vermilion because school supplies the laptops have everything and half of the student body likes to be on the computer and every time i look in the libary there are alot of students on the computer.

Thank you,
Seth P. Hunter

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vermilion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brent Wells (Dec '14) Dec '15 Justchillin 17
Target Shooting In Brownhelm Township Dec '15 mxkjsch 3
News 'Armed and dangerous' robber ID'd, still on the... Nov '15 ConcernedInWakeman 1
Todd Dunlap Oct '15 loup 1
News Ohioan didn't tell sex partners he has HIV, pol... (Mar '11) Sep '15 Tabby 68
News This isn't your average home ... but it's nothi... Sep '15 Jose 2
Looking for an offbeat , ceremony site (Jul '15) Jul '15 Kandies81 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vermilion Mortgages