Who is responsible for the Oil Spill?

Who is responsible for the Oil Spill?

Created by Top Mod 5 on May 3, 2010

612 votes

Click on an option to vote

Government for drilling

BP for spilling

Both

Other (explain in comments)

parent

Erwinville, LA

#23 May 4, 2010
George W Bush is responsible for all the things that have and will go wrong during the Obama rule, and if you dont think this is true just ask Pelosi, Obama or any other democrat.
From Erath

United States

#24 May 4, 2010
Everybody is blaming Bp & Transocean but the oil wouldn't be leaking if the shutdown systems had worked. Drilling has been going on in the Gulf for many many years and this is the first time a spill of this magnitude. Many wells have blown out and rigs have burned or capsized, but in all incidents, the safety systems worked. Find out who was the manufacturer of those safety devices, they should be responsible. Drilling is still safe just as a production platform is as long as the Shutdown & safety sytems work.
Agree

Abbeville, LA

#25 May 4, 2010
From Erath wrote:
Everybody is blaming Bp & Transocean but the oil wouldn't be leaking if the shutdown systems had worked. Drilling has been going on in the Gulf for many many years and this is the first time a spill of this magnitude. Many wells have blown out and rigs have burned or capsized, but in all incidents, the safety systems worked. Find out who was the manufacturer of those safety devices, they should be responsible. Drilling is still safe just as a production platform is as long as the Shutdown & safety sytems work.
Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about. Good post.
Driller

Lafayette, LA

#27 May 4, 2010
From Erath wrote:
Everybody is blaming Bp & Transocean but the oil wouldn't be leaking if the shutdown systems had worked. Drilling has been going on in the Gulf for many many years and this is the first time a spill of this magnitude. Many wells have blown out and rigs have burned or capsized, but in all incidents, the safety systems worked. Find out who was the manufacturer of those safety devices, they should be responsible. Drilling is still safe just as a production platform is as long as the Shutdown & safety sytems work.
Don't be so quick in blaming the shutdown systems. Do you know for sure that there wasn't a tool joint instead of pipe at the shear rams? The shear rams cannot cut the tool joint just the pipe. With the well blowing it could of blown the pipes up and when they activated the BOPs they couldn't do their job
From Erath

United States

#28 May 4, 2010
All rigs are suppose to be equipped with an ESD. Even if something happens on the surface, you are suppose to shut down the lower sections. We have had other blowouts and capsizes and even hurricanes like Katrina and Rita who took rigs away, and in all cases the ESD's worked. Now the only other thing would be did the rig do weekly drills to check and make sure those systems worked?
Driller

Lafayette, LA

#29 May 4, 2010
From Erath wrote:
All rigs are suppose to be equipped with an ESD. Even if something happens on the surface, you are suppose to shut down the lower sections. We have had other blowouts and capsizes and even hurricanes like Katrina and Rita who took rigs away, and in all cases the ESD's worked. Now the only other thing would be did the rig do weekly drills to check and make sure those systems worked?
Maybe the ESD's couldn't work because of the position of the TJ. I understand what you are saying about the other blowouts and the hurricanes but this might just be a separate thing that might never happen again. When the hurricanes hit the drill pipe was out of the hole and the BOPs already closes and on production platforms everything was shut in already. This was a different scene altogether. Do you know for sure that there wasn't a TJ where the shear rams were?
The BOPs had been check 24 hours before. They were taking the riser off and getting ready to move off when the well came in and pushed pipe out of the hole
freebird

Spring, TX

#30 May 4, 2010
heyuguys wrote:
Who gives a Sh*t. Stop the leak and clean it up then will worry about who's at fault
HEY,COMMON SENSE IS NOT ALLOWED BY THE IDIOTS HERE ON THIS FORUM,HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMTHING,INTELLIGANT,THAT MAKES SENSE!!!

“Resurected”

Since: Feb 10

Destin, Fl

#31 May 4, 2010
parent wrote:
George W Bush is responsible for all the things that have and will go wrong during the Obama rule, and if you dont think this is true just ask Pelosi, Obama or any other democrat.
I'm a democrat and Bush had nothing to do with this. He did have plenty to do with the economic problems we are having now, as well as the war in Iraq.

Don't start sh!t just for the sake of it.
Rawdaddy

Natchitoches, LA

#32 May 4, 2010
That there oil spill maked me boo hole raw!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#33 May 4, 2010
It's not Bush's fault. It's Chaney's.

“Resurected”

Since: Feb 10

Destin, Fl

#34 May 4, 2010
NoMo wrote:
It's not Bush's fault. It's Chaney's.
Cheney shot it?

While I wish I could blame it on him, the man just had nothing to do with it.

There's no use in trying to tie Cheney to anything. He's done plenty of terrible things. No use making things up.
Lions Roar

AOL

#36 May 4, 2010
From Erath wrote:
Everybody is blaming Bp & Transocean but the oil wouldn't be leaking if the shutdown systems had worked. Drilling has been going on in the Gulf for many many years and this is the first time a spill of this magnitude. Many wells have blown out and rigs have burned or capsized, but in all incidents, the safety systems worked. Find out who was the manufacturer of those safety devices, they should be responsible. Drilling is still safe just as a production platform is as long as the Shutdown & safety sytems work.
I'm afraid it may be too late to completely investigate the malfunction of the blow out protector. First, there's the manufacturer of the equipment, then somebody else installed it, then somebody else moved it and somebody else re-installed it.

At least we should investigate the configuration of the protector that was delived by the manufacturer. Other rigs may be relying on that same configuration and if it's malfunctioning, we should be able to avoid a second or third disaster.

The only thing good to come from this spill is that the industry will be forced to revisit the safety of their employees and the protection of our environment.

Thanks for your post, we've been wondering all week what went wrong with the safety features which should have been reliable.
Tiburon

Baton Rouge, LA

#38 May 4, 2010
Driller wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the ESD's couldn't work because of the position of the TJ. I understand what you are saying about the other blowouts and the hurricanes but this might just be a separate thing that might never happen again. When the hurricanes hit the drill pipe was out of the hole and the BOPs already closes and on production platforms everything was shut in already. This was a different scene altogether. Do you know for sure that there wasn't a TJ where the shear rams were?
The BOPs had been check 24 hours before. They were taking the riser off and getting ready to move off when the well came in and pushed pipe out of the hole
Wouldn't they have tried to close one of the annulars or the pipe rams first?

“Resurected”

Since: Feb 10

Destin, Fl

#39 May 4, 2010
Word from my buddies in the business is that they had a momentary loss of power and instead of shutting it down, they continued operation which would have made them vulnerable to safety failures. I don't know anything about it, but I was around a bunch of oil engineers this weekend and that rumor was abound.
Driller

Lafayette, LA

#40 May 4, 2010
Vigilandy wrote:
Word from my buddies in the business is that they had a momentary loss of power and instead of shutting it down, they continued operation which would have made them vulnerable to safety failures. I don't know anything about it, but I was around a bunch of oil engineers this weekend and that rumor was abound.
Any how they lose power the BOPs should be able to work. They have accumulator bottles that keeps the system powered up
Driller

Lafayette, LA

#41 May 4, 2010
Tiburon wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't they have tried to close one of the annulars or the pipe rams first?
They should of had tried that first but with that much gas around them, who knows what handle they tried first, also maybe before they got to the controls, the controls were blown apart. Lot of maybes and the ones who were there are gone unfortunately
Dpud

United States

#42 May 4, 2010
I think there is plenty of speculation and we will never probably know the whole truth but it is not necessary for us to know. This was ....a tragic accident. But should this shut down drilling.......of course not.....should the mines shut down because miners died a few weeks ago….of course not. Accidents happen on every job. It is inevitable. The cause should be located, corrected and the public does not need to be informed of every detail.

“Resurected”

Since: Feb 10

Destin, Fl

#43 May 4, 2010
Dpud wrote:
I think there is plenty of speculation and we will never probably know the whole truth but it is not necessary for us to know. This was ....a tragic accident. But should this shut down drilling.......of course not.....should the mines shut down because miners died a few weeks ago….of course not. Accidents happen on every job. It is inevitable. The cause should be located, corrected and the public does not need to be informed of every detail.
I agree with everything except the public information part. The only protection those workers have is public awareness. When you start sweeping things under the rug, more and more people get killed, like in the mine in West Virginia.

Mining of any kind is dangerous and that is why it pays so well, but the companies have the responsibility to protect their employees and the public has a right to know what companies hold up their end of the bargain.
Dpud

United States

#44 May 4, 2010
I'm referring to the "public" US. Employees should be informed of the dangers, corrections, etc. but "US" no. To much speculation, to much "if only" and we are not familiar with the terms, the jobs so....it is none of our business. Only employees and families period.
Lions Roar

AOL

#45 May 4, 2010
Dpud wrote:
I'm referring to the "public" US. Employees should be informed of the dangers, corrections, etc. but "US" no. To much speculation, to much "if only" and we are not familiar with the terms, the jobs so....it is none of our business. Only employees and families period.
NOPE, sorry but Vigilandy got it right.

The terms of employment are every bit part of my business.

My nephew is investigating future employment oppotunites and his safety risks should be transparent before he makes his choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Venice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local hunters make Swamp People' debut (Apr '11) Mar '16 dish 13
News Mandatory Evacuations Ordered For Grand Isle, P... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Karen 1
fishing guides (Nov '12) Nov '12 Mallard 1
News Hurricane Isaac facts: Wind, water and more (Aug '12) Sep '12 DANNY ROHEDS 5
News A look at Gulf oil disaster a year later (Apr '11) Apr '11 deb in nc 1
News US clears more deepwater oil drilling in Gulf (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jon 1
News First deep-water drilling permit issued for gul... (Mar '11) Mar '11 WeTheSheeple 140
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Venice Mortgages