Wellston School District Could Be Clo...

Wellston School District Could Be Closed, Students Sent To Normandy

There are 21 comments on the Fox2Now story from Dec 14, 2009, titled Wellston School District Could Be Closed, Students Sent To Normandy. In it, Fox2Now reports that:

A St. Louis area school district is on the verge of being closed by the state. Monday night, the Missouri Education Commissioner will talk to parents about why she supports a shut down of Wellston schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox2Now.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned

United States

#1 Dec 14, 2009
I am really surprised that the merger (really a takeover) is occurring. The students were voicing concerns over their fears of future tension among students, and I think the result will be fewer students attending regularly. We'll have to wait and see.
I WAS THERE TONIGHT

Florissant, MO

#2 Dec 14, 2009
Having students both from Normandy and Wellston act as USHERS was AWESOME!! Dr. Brown couldnt have been more clear:

"We are the ones that cause the problems and think they can't get along," & "If we give them the right direction at home, they'll follow the right direction in the streets."

Both board members, along with Nicastro presented themselves very professionaly (and spoke "politically correct"). THE BOTTOM LINE: Wellston was put on the spot 4 years ago to fix it. By law, they only get 2. Even then, THEY FAILED!!! Of 510 students, I only saw a handful parents present. This is just another indication that without parental support, their own kids are doomed. PARENTS, WHERE ARE YOU??? You need to get involved with your kids. Being present tonight was just not enough and WAY TOO LATE. I wish nothing but the best for these students, both for Normandy and Wellston as this is going to be a struggle for all involved. However, if you parents EMBRACE and ENCOURAGE your kids, they will hopefully transition with just minor issues. I would say with NO ISSUES, but lets be real. ITS CHANGE!! Many simply do not like change. ITS GONNA HAPPEN, ITS GONNA HAPPEN QUICK, and YOUR SONS and DAUGHTERS NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER. If you talk smack and speak low about Normandy, your kids will obsorb that make this transition much harder with possible serious consequences.

Dr. Lawrence did a great job TRYING to give Wellston some relief. UNITY and OPPORTUNITY is certainly present. WILL WE ALL UNITE PEACEFULLY FOR OUR CHILDREN SAKE?? Balls in your court Wellston parents.......
Just wondering

United States

#3 Dec 15, 2009
If the Wellston superindendent was appointed by the state and given 2 years to get things together and didn't why wasn't he replaced. He had two extra years and accomplished very little, why wasn't someone else appointed to try? Now he is retiring so the merger can take place, sounds like politics, not the best interest of the students.
So who cares

United States

#4 Dec 15, 2009
Who the hell cares? It's not our problem. Gangbangers, drug dealers, pimps, ho's......why even waste the time trying to educate these dirtbags?
Long Time Coming

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Dec 15, 2009
This merger should have happened 25 years ago. I don't know why MO DESE gave Wellston so much time and so many chances.
so who cares WE DO

Columbia, MO

#6 Dec 15, 2009
its sad to se what the real america is we are looking for away to improve education and there are people like you, its sad. I am a senior at WELLSTON and i know some very bright students like myself, that would outsmart,outwork and out perform students from other schools .In Wellston we learn how to work with a little and make something out of it its sad to see politics,discrimination and people who do not understand the situation to judge the kids. I am a senior and i know i will not be making the transition because i will be graduating but i care for all my underclassmen and they are my responsibility. WHO CARE WE DO
ktbu1964

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Dec 15, 2009
I just don't want the riffraff in my kid's school. Their parents DO NOT parent them.
SaucyB

O Fallon, MO

#8 Dec 15, 2009
So who cares wrote:
Who the hell cares? It's not our problem. Gangbangers, drug dealers, pimps,****'s......why even waste the time trying to educate these dirtbags?
you're a total moron! it's the kids NOT IN of school that tend to do these things, there in NOTHING more important than EDUCATION in trying to help ALL this country's kids
Jerrell

United States

#9 Dec 15, 2009
Well, i think that, thats is a bad idea cause you going to put people in a place that they dont want to be and that me kids are going to drop out for that additon students.
delerbee

Columbia, MO

#10 Dec 15, 2009
So who cares wrote:
Who the hell cares? It's not our problem. Gangbangers, drug dealers, pimps,****'s......why even waste the time trying to educate these dirtbags?
This must have come from an ignorant person. As a graduate, resident, and now employee of Normandy, this is definitely going to be an awkward situation for all of us who are involved. The reality of it all is that we have a job to do - educate our children. No matter how you slice it, the parents and teachers need to work together so then our kids can get the educational opportunities that are available to them - no matter what neighborhood they're from.
northcity

De Soto, KS

#11 Dec 15, 2009
They should put wellston on one side, put normandy on the other side, let wellston teacher teach them and maybe the problem can be over with.I hate to see wellston teacher loose they job.
reality

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Dec 15, 2009
I think this merger will be a bad idea because if you take a school district that is already over crowded and doesn't have all that great a reputation itself and add more kids that will only make the problem worse. In reality, i believe that the school is not the entire problem anyways, the problem, in my opinion, is the parents who don't care enough to make their kids go to school, we should care if these kids are getting the proper edcuation, because they will be the ones growing up to be criminals if nothing is done, some of them are already. However, its not all to blame on the kids. when you grow up in a place where you can catch a drug deal going down on the way to school, somethings wrong. Wellston needs to be cleaned up in the streets first, maybe if the kids saw a drug deal being busted by the police instead the "thug life" wouldn't look so glamorous. Anyway, the kids won't care if the parents don't care and all the merging in the world wont fix that, it will just bring down the overall score of the Normandy school district. Not to say there aren't bright students in wellston, but unfortunatly many of them didn't have a chance from the time they were born to parents who are lazy and on welfare not trying to help themselves. yes some kids can get up out the ghetto, but that stuff don't really happen that much...thats why they make movies about it. hang in there to the ones who care...as for the rest, good luck being a drug dealer with a 9th grade edcuation...im sure you'll learn to read and write in prison.
JamesWilloughby SIEGELROB

Kaysville, UT

#13 Dec 16, 2009
I dont care where these kids go to school as long as they get the best education possible - comparable to that kids are getting in Ladue or Clayton areas in other affluent neighborhoods. Kids , all kids must be college ready and able to make good SAT scores. The poorest schools should have the same capabilities of teaching kids as the schools in the richest neighborhoods. Until this happens EQUALITY will not exist for all.
Someone who really cares

Columbia, MO

#15 Dec 16, 2009
I think everyone that everyone that has a negative opinion or negative attitude about this merger should jump in a lake of fire. I believe this merger will be a struggle at first but if we as parents and educators work together we will turn this in to a positive experience. If we talk negative about this merger in front of our children they will go to Normandy with that same attitude and negative thought, same with the parents of Normandy if the Normandy kids hear all this negative talk about Wellston coming, they will go to school with the same attitude and in there lies the problem. Everyone should be worried about these kids getting the best education, so they dont end up in the streets. WE will and should enbrace Wellston with open arms and be prepared to give these kids the best as well as our own children of Normandy.
jimbo

Saint Peters, MO

#16 Dec 16, 2009
AMEN,,,Dddooog !
Tired of Idiots

United States

#17 Dec 16, 2009
Ddddooog wrote:
<quoted text>
Then their parents should get a job, work hard and buy a home in Ladue or Clayton if thats the quality of education they want for their children.
I am not responsible for buying equality for someone that won't earn it for themselves.
Gee, and you know for a fact that when they get out of school they won't earn it for themselves? What a fortune teller you are! And, like it or not, yes you ARE responsible for buying quality education for all students, not just the ones of a particular color or race. You should be complaining about the teachers, that is where the main problem lies.
the Truth

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Dec 18, 2009
why are they worried about tension between the two schools? is it because blacks will find any reason to fight..........i think so!!!!!!

violent animals!!!
Concerned

United States

#20 Dec 18, 2009
Ddddooog wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said anything about current student's futures. If they want to be successful, more power to them.
Please tell me who decided that I am responsible for anyone else's child's education?
Yawn....you are making me tired.
Are you a taxpayer? Do you plan on spending a significant time of your life in the St. Louis area? If so, then not only are your tax dollars going towards funding not only your neighborhood school district, but others as well. I'm sure you would want to stand behind these school districts because the people that come from there are expected to work around you, entertain around you, and reside in your neighborhood. I don't know about you, but I support whatever measures to fix these broken school districts. When all children are allowed equal educational opportunities, then our community will thrive. This sounds so simple, but we still remain in a society that expects less and will offer less to those that are oppressed.
Concerned

United States

#21 Dec 18, 2009
the Truth wrote:
why are they worried about tension between the two schools? is it because blacks will find any reason to fight..........i think so!!!!!!
violent animals!!!
I find your comment very funny and surprising. I would ask you to look within your own community, which I can assume is a white community, and discover your neighborhood children fighting and wrestling with each other. It is scary to know that people like you exist. I bet you moved there because you are afraid of your own ignorance. Oh, and you also think the boogieman is real and the tooth fairy, and Santa, LOL.
Concerned

United States

#22 Dec 18, 2009
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I find your comment very funny and surprising. I would ask you to look within your own community, which I can assume is a white community, and discover your neighborhood children fighting and wrestling with each other. It is scary to know that people like you exist. I bet you moved there because you are afraid of your own ignorance. Oh, and you also think the boogieman is real and the tooth fairy, and Santa, LOL.
Oh and if you take me so literal for my last sentence, don't. Let me restate my point, All children and adolescents from every socioeconomic status will fight. There are not statistics that can accurately pinpoint which race, class, or religion fights the most.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Velda Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
monkeyism Wed hardhead 4
The Negro is his own worst enemy Tue WhiteSatan 12
News Father of Michael Brown Jr. speaks to MTSU stud... Dec 6 ThomasA 10
Darkies go away Dec 5 F uuuuuu 1
News Sick of college protesters Dec 4 ThomasA 11
News Ken Poteet Leads Sterling Bank Event In Raising... (Jan '13) Dec 3 King Of Eastwood 12
wife Dec 3 Pushing 3 bills 2

Velda Village Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Velda Village Mortgages