WNKU's growth good for local music

WNKU's growth good for local music

There are 61 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 30, 2011, titled WNKU's growth good for local music. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

WNKU-FM's regional network premiering Tuesday may do as much for the local music scene as it does for the Northern Kentucky University public radio station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Robbie Nichols BFE Band

United States

#41 Feb 5, 2011
This is great. Country music is no longer country music anymore. It is all recorded digital and thanks to vo-coders everyones voice sounds like the micky mouse club. The lyrics are not real anymore. New Rock music is crap to. It Is all recorded by the same people on the same japanese junk by people who dont even know what a tape machine is. real music is magnetic and electric. Just stick your hand in the back of my amp while it is on and you will find that 750 volts will kill you. It is real. In a world that produces cheap junk for profit it is pleasing to me to be able to turn the radio on and hear Levon Helm, Merle Travis, Howli'n Wolf and all of the great Musicians new and old who play real music - Rock, Country, Blues, ETC. After all we still have WNXT and The Dawg if you prefer to listen to microsoft computer music. And 107.5 if you want to listen to the same Led Zepplin songs over and over.
dick

New York, NY

#42 Feb 5, 2011
hey robbie and bfe are you guys playing anywhere
Mike

Marion, OH

#43 Feb 5, 2011
yea and i watched channell 24 last night....PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!
listener

Marion, OH

#44 Feb 5, 2011
True That wrote:
That crap on WPAY needed to be axed years ago.
Now if someone would just come in and get that village idiot Hayes off the air, you could listen to the radio around here without thinking you were in Hicksville, USA.
I totally agee. He is so bad with his voices, rude comments and constant whineing and gilbert gnarly. Give me a break
just sayin

Van Wert, OH

#45 Feb 5, 2011
Back to WPAY. I generally like all music from almost any Genre. However......I don't think that this programming is going to fly here. For starters-the format is all wrong and the only thing local that I have heard so far is the temperature in portsmouth. The community lost a valuable resource here. With the public radio format the advertising is gone and it doesn't appear that they are going to do any local news, school closings, etc. As for the country music format-there isn't much to worry about there. There is many country stations to choose from. Sure the local DJ's were quite cheesy and backwoods at times but you know what??? They were our backwoods-cheesy DJ's doing our news and keeping us up to speed on our area. Yes it is a sad day in Southern Ohio........RIP wpay.....Many of us Southern ohio Rednecks will miss you.
Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#46 Feb 7, 2011
Robbie Nichols BFE Band wrote:
This is great. Country music is no longer country music anymore. It is all recorded digital and thanks to vo-coders everyones voice sounds like the micky mouse club. The lyrics are not real anymore. New Rock music is crap to. It Is all recorded by the same people on the same japanese junk by people who dont even know what a tape machine is. real music is magnetic and electric. Just stick your hand in the back of my amp while it is on and you will find that 750 volts will kill you. It is real. In a world that produces cheap junk for profit it is pleasing to me to be able to turn the radio on and hear Levon Helm, Merle Travis, Howli'n Wolf and all of the great Musicians new and old who play real music - Rock, Country, Blues, ETC. After all we still have WNXT and The Dawg if you prefer to listen to microsoft computer music. And 107.5 if you want to listen to the same Led Zepplin songs over and over.
Hey, Dude; enjoyment is in the eyes of the beholder. We've gone beyong horse and buggy and if you want to stay in the game you do it. That's the way it is. I know plenty of folks who like today's country. Sure beats the old 'she done left me' repeat. Yeah sometimes it's a bit cheesy, but it's way better than what you'll find on MTV, FUSE, etc. Just opinion. At least they're not a constant stream of teenage angst.
Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#47 Feb 7, 2011
As for the digital, don't mind it. I've trained on both. Format, that's all it is. It's the content that counts. Even if you record on tape, you still have to burn to digital. They have built in A/D converters for that.

There is one light for ya though. Been to a Best Buy lately and they're selling vinyls again as part of a retro movement.
Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#48 Feb 7, 2011
Radio you get over the conventional airwaves is obsolete. Sat is where it's at. Problem with the radio is that they play the same hit songs over and over till you're sick of it. And apparently it's harder than heck to get them to accept new material. Sat gets new material all the time. I think people can judge for themselves what they like and don't like and don't need some mogel(?) to decide for them.

It's a new world, my friend.
Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#49 Feb 7, 2011
Mike wrote:
yea and i watched channell 24 last night....PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!
So what specifically was "pathetic" about it?
Billy -The Hiders

Sidney, OH

#50 Feb 18, 2011
Came on this thread by accident researching radio playlists for my band. It's true, I did not consider at all what would be become of the stations ( and employees ) WNKU would be absorbing and the effect of it. In my defense, the interviewers main focus in his questions were regarding the effect of NKU's expansion on Cincy local bands, thus, my one-sided response.
All I really have to offer here is to say that WNKU has been a bit of an underdog here in Cincinnati/Kentucky swimming against the current when it comes to what I see as a gross homogenization of radio and they always remained a huge supporter of local music, local causes and events and quality 'under the radar' music in general ( so to see a station like that grow rather than crumble seemed a small miracle to us here!)
My hope is they are able to provide that same grass roots support in your areas. If they don't... let them know! I believe they will listen, and if there was some harm that happened in your areas ...fingers crossed, it will be balanced out by some good!
Music Lover

Dublin, OH

#51 Feb 18, 2011
I love the new 104.1. Finally good music and a great variety of music. I hate country music and all wnxt plays is terrible pop crap, so I think it's great to have a new station.
Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#52 Feb 19, 2011
Music Lover wrote:
I love the new 104.1. Finally good music and a great variety of music. I hate country music and all wnxt plays is terrible pop crap, so I think it's great to have a new station.
To each his own. I'm eclectic. Most of the time it's the canned music and or the bad lyrics I turn off.
Question Authority

Triangle, VA

#53 Feb 19, 2011
Digital is simply a change in format. Or is it the acousitic, backyard feel you miss? If THAT is the case, you might like a new little guy named some of Ben Kweller's stuff. It's simple. Note there is also a difference between country and bluegrass. The Ben Kweller piece that comes to mind is "She Just Wants Me Wanting Her Again". Some of his other stuff is a country/folk mix that's a bit sophomoric.
Soul Searcher

Marion, OH

#54 Dec 28, 2011
WNKU is the best thing that's happened to Portsmouth since SSU. We finally have intelligent radio for the not so easily amused. They are non profit and play the best music from every genre. This station will entertain, educate, and help to create artists and musicians this area has never produced, because of it's substance and variety. I'm sorry for the unfortunate few that lost their jobs. For the people that don't like it...don't listen! There is still plenty of low IQ corporate sugarcoated poop flavored pop radio out there for ya. WNKU is a great thing for the area.
Melvina

Marion, OH

#55 Dec 28, 2011
I mean how many cryin in my beer stations can you listen to? The modern radio station has the Awesome Steve Hays.........lol........ who still thinks abba and the beach boys are cutting edge rock.

Thank god......one Hillbilly station down and one to go?Please sell 99.3 to somebody who will play some MODERN Rock and rap~~~~
Blank

Big Stone Gap, VA

#56 Aug 7, 2012
Question Authority wrote:
Radio you get over the conventional airwaves is obsolete. Sat is where it's at. Problem with the radio is that they play the same hit songs over and over till you're sick of it. And apparently it's harder than heck to get them to accept new material. Sat gets new material all the time. I think people can judge for themselves what they like and don't like and don't need some mogel(?) to decide for them.
It's a new world, my friend.
YES!!! Sat. Radio is AWESOME!! It is doing to FM what FM did to AM! Regular radio is crap, as in all Country stations are the same, all Classic Rock stations are the same, all Modern Rock stations are the same, etc.!! You would think that terrestrial radio would make change to try to avoid being all tured into news/talk/sports stations, but nooooooo! They think that if they keep playing the same songs by same bands over and over, have 20-25 minutes of commercials and inane chatter per hour, and have FAKE and/or non-existent request lines, that people will still listen to them!! No wonder Sat. radio gains over 100,000 new subscribers per month! To all those who have not heard it, check out Dish Radio and SiriusXM, and you will never want to listen to the CRAP FM of regular radio again!!
BRING BACK WPAY

Ashland, KY

#57 Jan 12, 2013
GlamGirl wrote:
I listened this morning. The music was great.
We need something different.
I HATE THE WNKU SOMEONJE SHOULD START A FACEBOOK PAGE TO BRING BACK OUR OLDEST AND BEST RADIO STATION!!!!!!!!!!
BRING BACK WPAY

Ashland, KY

#58 Jan 12, 2013
Melvina wrote:
I mean how many cryin in my beer stations can you listen to? The modern radio station has the Awesome Steve Hays.........lol........ who still thinks abba and the beach boys are cutting edge rock.
Thank god......one Hillbilly station down and one to go?Please sell 99.3 to somebody who will play some MODERN Rock and rap~~~~
No no no! WPAY was not just a radio station it was portsmouths history! Okay im only 18 and i know that. We need our WPAY BACK!
BRING BACK WPAY

Ashland, KY

#59 Jan 12, 2013
Soul Searcher wrote:
WNKU is the best thing that's happened to Portsmouth since SSU. We finally have intelligent radio for the not so easily amused. They are non profit and play the best music from every genre. This station will entertain, educate, and help to create artists and musicians this area has never produced, because of it's substance and variety. I'm sorry for the unfortunate few that lost their jobs. For the people that don't like it...don't listen! There is still plenty of low IQ corporate sugarcoated poop flavored pop radio out there for ya. WNKU is a great thing for the area.
No! WNKU SUCKS!! WORST THING TO HAPPEN IN PORTSMOUTH OHIO AND ITS MUSIC IS SO STUPID!! BRING BACK WPAY!!!!!!
BRING BACK WPAY

Ashland, KY

#61 Jan 12, 2013
True That wrote:
That crap on WPAY needed to be axed years ago.
Now if someone would just come in and get that village idiot Hayes off the air, you could listen to the radio around here without thinking you were in Hicksville, USA.
If you dont like our litte town get out then WPAY was not just a station it was a part of our towns history. Look did you know that during the 37 flood they stayed on the air and in 03 during the icestorm they stayed on to help or town so lok at our history stupid!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vandalia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
People Are Saying... 1 hr The Duke of Hazard 21
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Hipocrit 20,505
"Amish" heaters and EdenPURE heaters--Watch OUT! (Dec '08) 4 hr Eddie 576
News Ridgeville Christian, Dayton Christian merging (Jun '07) 19 hr Ridgeville Lion 34
Chris Mulcahy 20 hr Sunny 18
Let's get freaky with Maytal Levi! (Jan '15) 23 hr Sky King 7
News Police use taser on blind woman with cancer (Jul '08) Fri Dionna Harris 191

Vandalia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vandalia Mortgages