Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,281

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Say It Again

Piqua, OH

#22832 Jan 2, 2013
thoughtful wrote:
<quoted text>
What are these "unmet needs"? Do you have a child in the gifted program in Springboro? How do you feel their education is lacking? Because ALL of the parents I have talked to with students who participate in the gifted program here in Springboro feel that their child is getting an excellent education, and that all of their needs are being met.
All of the parents I have talked to that have read comments on another blog posted by Bobby Lew Dayton Ohio, feel that "thoughtful" on this blog shares the same political agenda of grievance and resentment of the union masters against conservative voters. Bobby Lew's attack on the character of elected BOE officials instead of sticking to the issue of charter schools proves no "thoughtful" concern for our children's future. Bobby Lew's concern is all about the teachers union holding our kids's hostage in hopes of holding on to that dollar sign that our SEA stamps on every kid's forehead.

(Here are the disgusting comments of Bobby Lew Dayton Ohio posted on another blog....
School board member Petroni has finally revealed what he does for a living, and you'll never believe it: Charter Schools!!! You know, those unregulated messes that pay pennies for teachers, following their own brand of renegade educational ideas. Back in the day, School Board members were voted in for the sacred charge of overseeing strong schools and supporting staff in their intellectual endeavors. Petroni's mission is obviously to make a buck by undermining the excellent rating of Springboro Schools, so that he can found some new fantastically visionary state-supported charter schools. Is this why he and his Tea Party School Board cohorts are contemplating cutting the school day and eliminating "non-essential" courses from the curriculum? Surely this obvious conflict of interest, which involves trading politics for financial gain, should serve as cause for impeachment.– Bobby Lew Dayton Ohio)
Badd Babb 4 Boro

Piqua, OH

#22833 Jan 2, 2013
It does appear that Babb and her Band of Badd 4 Boro Bullies are losing no time in the new year continuing their same old political tactics of attack against the best interest of our children's future.
Now Babb and ALL the parents who want to "rest on our laurels of excellent with distinction" are gearing up to fight against improvements in our schools gifted program; and Lisa Babb is emailing community members with alarms that "providing the advantage of school focusing on the educational needs of our highly gifted students will threaten the effectiveness of the Springboro Community Assistance program!
Now Lisa knows that she has emailed an un-truth in her efforts to suggest "wrong-doing" by board members. No doubt many of you remember that on October 9 at public board meeting, the pastor
of the JW church stepped up to say that the Springboro Community Assistance program was using the space that his organization was paying rent to the school district for; therefore the assistance program is not paying rent to the school district for the JW space; and NO decisions made by our school district is any threat whatsoever to this outside non-profit organization occupying our tax-payer funded school building.
It is not the "mission" of our school district to provide space for non-profit charities nor non-profit churches. And the consideration given by our school board to use this school-taxpayer funded building to the advantage of our students education is the right thing for our school board to do.
stark reality

Germantown, OH

#22834 Jan 2, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
OUr school system seems geared towards semantic, feel good rewards.
Graduating a large percentage of our student population from high school that has mastered at least 48% of the material.
Reading has 66% of the student population scoring 73% and below
Math has only 37% of the the student population scoring 73% and below
Writing has a whopping 98% of the student population scoring 73% and below
Science has 47% of the student population scoring 73% and below
Social Studies has 41% of the student population scoring 73% and below
Of the old Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic, only math does tolerable.
2% scoring 74% and above is pathetic for the written word.
34% scoring 74% and above in reading is no cause for joy either
What is AMAZING is the number of people who think such accomplishments are amazing.
I personally expect more from our program of studies for all children.
In order to keep that "stinc" in "Distinction" Springboro schools does everything possible to train students to be good test-takers and nothing but good test-takers. The truth is about half of Boro kids graduate and begin their lives not all too confident as to how to tie their own shoes.
Not true

Springboro, OH

#22835 Jan 3, 2013
I have children in the gifted programs and I can say Springboro is definitely lacking. If you feel your children will be as prepared for college as other districts, you are sadly mistaken. There is always room for improvement. I don't understand why people are so threatened by that. Why not allow the board to get the information in order to make an informed decision. I can tell you, however, that Springboro is not as well-respected outside of Springboro--including a gifted psychologist.
thoughtful wrote:
<quoted text>
What are these "unmet needs"? Do you have a child in the gifted program in Springboro? How do you feel their education is lacking? Because ALL of the parents I have talked to with students who participate in the gifted program here in Springboro feel that their child is getting an excellent education, and that all of their needs are being met.
Out of Towner

Greenville, OH

#22836 Jan 3, 2013
Say It Again wrote:
<quoted text>
All of the parents I have talked to that have read comments on another blog posted by Bobby Lew Dayton Ohio, feel that "thoughtful" on this blog shares the same political agenda of grievance and resentment of the union masters against conservative voters. Bobby Lew's attack on the character of elected BOE officials instead of sticking to the issue of charter schools proves no "thoughtful" concern for our children's future. Bobby Lew's concern is all about the teachers union holding our kids's hostage in hopes of holding on to that dollar sign that our SEA stamps on every kid's forehead.
(Here are the disgusting comments of Bobby Lew Dayton Ohio posted on another blog....
School board member Petroni has finally revealed what he does for a living, and you'll never believe it: Charter Schools!!! You know, those unregulated messes that pay pennies for teachers, following their own brand of renegade educational ideas. Back in the day, School Board members were voted in for the sacred charge of overseeing strong schools and supporting staff in their intellectual endeavors. Petroni's mission is obviously to make a buck by undermining the excellent rating of Springboro Schools, so that he can found some new fantastically visionary state-supported charter schools. Is this why he and his Tea Party School Board cohorts are contemplating cutting the school day and eliminating "non-essential" courses from the curriculum? Surely this obvious conflict of interest, which involves trading politics for financial gain, should serve as cause for impeachment.– Bobby Lew Dayton Ohio)
ARE ONE OF YOUR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS AFFILIATED WITH CHARTER SCHOOLS? IF SO I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE ABOUT THE CONFLICT OF INTEREST.
Facts vs Opinion

Piqua, OH

#22837 Jan 3, 2013
Out of Towner wrote:
<quoted text>
ARE ONE OF YOUR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS AFFILIATED WITH CHARTER SCHOOLS? IF SO I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE ABOUT THE CONFLICT OF INTEREST.
With all due respect to your own opinion, the facts prove there is no conflict of interest, regardless of differing personal opinions. Those among Springboro voters spreading lies about school board member's conflict of interest are long time political opponents and mean-spirited critics of a well-respected Springboro parent and elected BOE official, David Petroni.

.....from article Springboro School board pursues charter school www.daytondailynews.com

Petroni, who lists charter school facility finance and development services among his specialties on his real estate business profile, said there is no conflict with his two roles.

“I’m not making a dime on this,” Petroni said.“The board will make the decision moving forward.”

He said the Concord Twp.-based Callender Group, which Petroni has worked with on non-charter school issues, was brought in because they are experts on charter school law, state financial formulas and the like.

Jamie Callender, founder and managing partner of the consulting group, said he also did not see a conflict.

“What (Petroni) does is real estate related and facilities financing, and in the conversion school model there wouldn’t be any connection because there is no real estate acquisition to create a conflict of interest,” Callender said.

Callender added that his job is to look at the possibilities specific to Springboro, from a neutral position, and see if the concept makes sense academically and financially.

“It’s not for every district, and we have to take an honest look,” he said.
Out of Towner

Greenville, OH

#22838 Jan 3, 2013
Thank you. Question answered with documentation.
Facts vs Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect to your own opinion, the facts prove there is no conflict of interest, regardless of differing personal opinions. Those among Springboro voters spreading lies about school board member's conflict of interest are long time political opponents and mean-spirited critics of a well-respected Springboro parent and elected BOE official, David Petroni.
.....from article Springboro School board pursues charter school www.daytondailynews.com
Petroni, who lists charter school facility finance and development services among his specialties on his real estate business profile, said there is no conflict with his two roles.
“I’m not making a dime on this,” Petroni said.“The board will make the decision moving forward.”
He said the Concord Twp.-based Callender Group, which Petroni has worked with on non-charter school issues, was brought in because they are experts on charter school law, state financial formulas and the like.
Jamie Callender, founder and managing partner of the consulting group, said he also did not see a conflict.
“What (Petroni) does is real estate related and facilities financing, and in the conversion school model there wouldn’t be any connection because there is no real estate acquisition to create a conflict of interest,” Callender said.
Callender added that his job is to look at the possibilities specific to Springboro, from a neutral position, and see if the concept makes sense academically and financially.
“It’s not for every district, and we have to take an honest look,” he said.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22839 Jan 3, 2013
Out of Towner wrote:
<quoted text>
By your logic anyone affiliated with a bank would be precluded from anything that has to do with district finances. I suppose by extension Mrs. Babb would be a poor choice to run again for school board because of her affiliation with the home schooling program.

Now if you would like to address the fact that 8 children out of 380 scored 74% or higher on the Ohio Graduation Test in 2012, then let's talk. The remaining 372 out of 380 test takers scored BELOW 73%.

2% of our children know how to write at a C grade level or higher.

98% of our children in the class of 2014 scored at a D or BELOW.

98%

Address that if you honestly give a hoot about all of our children.
big concern

Dayton, OH

#22840 Jan 3, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
By your logic anyone affiliated with a bank would be precluded from anything that has to do with district finances. I suppose by extension Mrs. Babb would be a poor choice to run again for school board because of her affiliation with the home schooling program.
Now if you would like to address the fact that 8 children out of 380 scored 74% or higher on the Ohio Graduation Test in 2012, then let's talk. The remaining 372 out of 380 test takers scored BELOW 73%.
2% of our children know how to write at a C grade level or higher.
98% of our children in the class of 2014 scored at a D or BELOW.
98%
Address that if you honestly give a hoot about all of our children.
Mrs. Babb would be a bad choice for watching over pets in a petting zoo, never mind about watching over our kids.
Great Concern

Piqua, OH

#22841 Jan 3, 2013
big concern wrote:
<quoted text>
Mrs. Babb would be a bad choice for watching over pets in a petting zoo, never mind about watching over our kids.
Mrs. Babb would be a bad school board candidate choice for watching over "our children's future" because, Mrs. Babb models poor citizenship for our children and shows disrespect and hostility to her neighbors who choose not to wear the union label.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22842 Jan 3, 2013
When I read the blogs of all those proclaiming everything about our school district to be AMAZING, I am saddened by the lack of intellectual honesty being portrayed.

We as a community have it as our duty to educate all of the children of our neighborhoods to the highest degree possible. Too often it seems as though we see the bar set by the state as an absolute minimum as that degree. It pains me to watch people cheer and clap that 97% of our children meet the absolute minimum state standards. As if somehow meeting the absolute minimum absolves us of our responsibility to do anything more.

We do have some truly great teachers within our district, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Time alone does not make one a great educator.
When I see the class of 2014 I see a class that has:

8 kids out of 380 that can write a coherent thought
(2% scored above 74%)

130 kids out of 380 who could read and comprehend that thought
(34% scored above 74%)

200 kids out of 380 understand some really basic science
(53% scored above 74%)

220 kids out of 380 that understand our history, government, citizenship rights, or where people and places are located
(58% scored above 74%)

243 kids out of 380 can do basic math skills
(64% scored above 74%)

The practice tests along with there answers are available for your perusal on the ODE website. You will cry when you read many of the questions and the subsequent multiple choice answers.

What this test measures is what our children have learned in elementary, junior high, and their freshman year in high school.

This is what we are celebrating and cheering for when we applaud.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22843 Jan 3, 2013
The test I was referring to was the Ohio Graduation Test. A test administered during the spring semester of the sophomore year of a student.

The student can take it as many times as necessary over the next couple of years to obtain a passing grade. If they are unable to pass the test other routes to graduation exist.

There is no other state mandated testing at the high school level for juniors or seniors. One basic test wraps up everything.

The only other possible measure of our students would be the number enrolled in the Advance Placement program for college credit.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22845 Jan 3, 2013
Question from the social studies portion of the OGT practice test. This question is arepresentative degree of difficulty of about 40% of the questions.

29. Which would be the most credible primary source about conditions in
Nazi concentration camps during the Holocaust?

A. a novel set in a concentration camp
B. an account of camp life by a survivor of a concentration camp
C. a 1942 movie produced by the German government depicting concentration camp activities
D. a film about the camps directed by a person whose parents were in a concentration camp

The correct answer would be:(B)
Very Serious

Springboro, OH

#22846 Jan 3, 2013
Out of Towner wrote:
<quoted text>
What an idiot.
Is it a conflict that Ira Thompson got $2,000 put in his HSA with taxpayer money, he only paid it back when someone told on him.
Is it a conflict when board members Colston, Thompson and Miller get $100 greens fees paid by the taxpayers, once made public they paid it back? These are the people that told us that what they were doing was for the kids yet what I have listed here is not a conflict of interest it is illegal.
Investigating opportunities for children specifically to improve quality of education is for the kids and not a conflict unless you are a union person and afraid.
All about you

Springboro, OH

#22847 Jan 3, 2013
I think this blogger forgot that charter schools are an investment in education. What a hypocrite.
He wants education the union way and nothing else is considered a investment?????
OH DAVE read the articles above and get educated.

Anonymous Teacher says:
December 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm
Looking at schools as a long-term “worthy investment” is an excel¬lent idea. It makes business sense to invest in schools because the pay¬out in the near and far future is well worth the miniscule costs at the cur¬rent rate. The success of small communities like Springboro depends on schools. The stronger schools are, the stronger our community is. Just like our great-grandparents came together to build schools, we need to do the same thing as a community, despite being more than a one-room operation these days.
1. davidebowman says:
December 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm
People need to begin to realize exactly how exceptional the teachers of Springboro are and what will happen if we don’t begin to show you the appreciation and support you deserve. You are what makes our community strong. It’s time we recognize and rally to show our sup¬port. I know I am not alone in my views, and in fact I believe that most people in this community know how excellent you are. We need to speak up and stand proud before it’s too late. Thank you for commenting and for caring about our children and their future.
reality

Germantown, OH

#22848 Jan 4, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
When I read the blogs of all those proclaiming everything about our school district to be AMAZING, I am saddened by the lack of intellectual honesty being portrayed.
We as a community have it as our duty to educate all of the children of our neighborhoods to the highest degree possible. Too often it seems as though we see the bar set by the state as an absolute minimum as that degree. It pains me to watch people cheer and clap that 97% of our children meet the absolute minimum state standards. As if somehow meeting the absolute minimum absolves us of our responsibility to do anything more.
We do have some truly great teachers within our district, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Time alone does not make one a great educator.
When I see the class of 2014 I see a class that has:
8 kids out of 380 that can write a coherent thought
(2% scored above 74%)
130 kids out of 380 who could read and comprehend that thought
(34% scored above 74%)
200 kids out of 380 understand some really basic science
(53% scored above 74%)
220 kids out of 380 that understand our history, government, citizenship rights, or where people and places are located
(58% scored above 74%)
243 kids out of 380 can do basic math skills
(64% scored above 74%)
The practice tests along with there answers are available for your perusal on the ODE website. You will cry when you read many of the questions and the subsequent multiple choice answers.
What this test measures is what our children have learned in elementary, junior high, and their freshman year in high school.
This is what we are celebrating and cheering for when we applaud.
The inherent flaw with comparative statistics is that they examine students in relation to other students, not as individual students.

When compared to the growing idiocracy America as a whole is slowly transforming itself into, about 50% of the students within the rather affluent Springboro schools are viewed by outsiders as absolute freaks of nature.
This is precisely why we have so many so-called "gifted" students. Most of them have an I.Q. no higher than the average American student. So what makes them different? Their parents make them different. Many Springboro parents read to them and teach them basic math fundimentals even before the first day of kindergarten.
really scary

Springboro, OH

#22849 Jan 4, 2013
All about you wrote:
I think this blogger forgot that charter schools are an investment in education. What a hypocrite.
He wants education the union way and nothing else is considered a investment?????
OH DAVE read the articles above and get educated.
Anonymous Teacher says:
December 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm
Looking at schools as a long-term “worthy investment” is an excel¬lent idea. It makes business sense to invest in schools because the pay¬out in the near and far future is well worth the miniscule costs at the cur¬rent rate. The success of small communities like Springboro depends on schools. The stronger schools are, the stronger our community is. Just like our great-grandparents came together to build schools, we need to do the same thing as a community, despite being more than a one-room operation these days.
1. davidebowman says:
December 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm
People need to begin to realize exactly how exceptional the teachers of Springboro are and what will happen if we don’t begin to show you the appreciation and support you deserve. You are what makes our community strong. It’s time we recognize and rally to show our sup¬port. I know I am not alone in my views, and in fact I believe that most people in this community know how excellent you are. We need to speak up and stand proud before it’s too late. Thank you for commenting and for caring about our children and their future.
This is kinda scary as he talks to himself. Anonymous teacher=Dave Bowman. I wonder if Mr Bowman was a NFSS member?

Bowman? Don't we have teachers named Bowman?
Do we offer the best

Springboro, OH

#22850 Jan 4, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
The test I was referring to was the Ohio Graduation Test. A test administered during the spring semester of the sophomore year of a student.
The student can take it as many times as necessary over the next couple of years to obtain a passing grade. If they are unable to pass the test other routes to graduation exist.
There is no other state mandated testing at the high school level for juniors or seniors. One basic test wraps up everything.
The only other possible measure of our students would be the number enrolled in the Advance Placement program for college credit.
This report answers this question.
US News and World Reports Education in Ohio

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-sch...

See where we are in relation to Waynesville and Lebanon
However our "gifted student population is vastly higher than these schools.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22851 Jan 4, 2013
Our best score was 1 child in 7 could write at a C grade level or better, 14% of that class.

Our steady decline down to 1 child in 50 who can write at a C grade level or better, 2% of that class, is simply unacceptable.

Viewing these statistics makes me wonder what Mr. Malone is doing to his course of studies to address this massive failure of our system. This failure in the ability of our students to write coherently has been documented each year since 2005.

When the opportunity arose to come up with new classes for children last January, Mr. Malone opted for a guitar class and a current events class.

How do we look our children in the face and tell them we are preparing them for college if we accept such results year after year and do nothing.
Mirror Mirror

Piqua, OH

#22852 Jan 4, 2013
Do we offer the best wrote:
<quoted text>
This report answers this question.
US News and World Reports Education in Ohio
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-sch...
See where we are in relation to Waynesville and Lebanon
However our "gifted student population is vastly higher than these schools.
Mirror, Mirror on the newsroom wall,
Who is the proudest of Boro all...

Why are Springboro school admnistrators and Springboro Education Association constantly proudly shoving into the faces of school districts voters "how great our Springboro teachers are?"
Why are school district voters constantly "threatened" with departure of "Springboro's Best" if voters don't wake up and fall down in worship of the union masters"

Just how proud of themselves are our Springboro Education Association members who have "taught" our Springboro public schools to be "proud" that Springboro Schools are rated #110 among Ohio's public schools?

Where's the Boro Pride in being #110?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vandalia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 hr ino 31,495
Dennis Gannon trying to cover his past! 5 hr Tina 4
greene county humane society 5 hr Tina 5
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Chuck 19,285
Representative Mike Turner is a Pentagon Pimp 12 hr The New Cool Warrior 1
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 19 Vic 231
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 13 They cannot kill ... 191

Vandalia Jobs

Vandalia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Vandalia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Vandalia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]