Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,274

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
common sense

Germantown, OH

#22704 Nov 22, 2012
swee pea wrote:
<quoted text>
If Lisa Babb feels the urge to make the call as to which board members "made decisions that hurt our kids", then she needs to look at the cloud from both sides. Scott Anderson's extremely hasty departure didn't do much to help our kids. Don Miller's current obvious state of boredom and apathy isn't doing a whole lot to help our kids. Can you imagine the heightened level of productivity Ms. Babb might bring to our board meetings?....;-)
All valid points. Anderson walks away, and is publically humiliated as a result. Kull is picked from nominees to finish his term. Wendy gets along well with everyone and is doing a tremendous job. Every other Tuesday evening Don Miller exudes the body language of a person wanting to be anyplace other than Springboro High School
Moving toward the 2013 board campaign season, I'd say things couldn't be looking much worse for Lisa Babb's overall agenda.
turkey survivor

Dayton, OH

#22705 Nov 22, 2012
want to be thankful for our present school board, being able to sleep at night knowing that our tax dollars aren't wastefully spent on union demands.
In The News

Piqua, OH

#22706 Nov 22, 2012
Healthy Choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple menu -- No New Taxes! My wallet is too slim already!
It's exciting to read in the November 15 Springboro Sun that our
"Springboro Community Schools are in good shape financially, according to district officials."

"With today's economy, most districts are NOT passing new levies, Petrey said. "The board will have to put a RENEWAL of a levy that brings in $9.2 million on the ballot in 2013," Petrey said.
old news

Dayton, OH

#22707 Nov 22, 2012
In The News wrote:
<quoted text>
"Springboro Community Schools are in good shape financially, according to district officials."
"With today's economy, most districts are NOT passing new levies, Petrey said. "The board will have to put a RENEWAL of a levy that brings in $9.2 million on the ballot in 2013," Petrey said.
I will vote no because I am a laid off employee with a family to support.
really

Piqua, OH

#22708 Nov 22, 2012
This thread is still going on
In The News

Piqua, OH

#22709 Nov 23, 2012
old news wrote:
<quoted text>
I will vote no because I am a laid off employee with a family to support.
With greatest respect for personal circumstances of all Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners; we must consider the comments
of board members as stated in the November 15 Springboro Sun article: Schools 'in good shape'

Board member Jim Rigano said, "I don't think there's any question that we will have to be on the ballot with that renewal."
...District officials have been making cuts that will help in the future, according to superintendent Todd Petrey....
School officials must follow the spending habits of the public,
according to board member Wendy Kull.

Voters need to follow closely the public school board meetings as this renewal levy process unfolds; making sure that "collective demands" for educational services do not override individual rights of Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners.
In The News

Piqua, OH

#22710 Nov 23, 2012
Please Note that Springboro Board of Education meetings Agendas and Minutes of Meetings are posted on the school website.

All Board Committee Meetings Agendas and Minutes of Meetings are posted on the school website.

Board meetings are now televised scheduled as follows:

Thursday 9:30 p.m.
Fridays 12 noon
Sundays 5 p.m.

For Time Warner customers it is Channel 21 and
for AT&T U-verse customers it is Channel 99.
common sense

Germantown, OH

#22711 Nov 25, 2012
turkey survivor wrote:
want to be thankful for our present school board, being able to sleep at night knowing that our tax dollars aren't wastefully spent on union demands.
My nomination for a motto for Boro's 2013 common sense conservatives:

"Let us not rest on our laurels"
Looking Ahead

Piqua, OH

#22713 Nov 25, 2012
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
My nomination for a motto for Boro's 2013 common sense conservatives:
"Let us not rest on our laurels"
Indeed, what success has been in the past will not be part of our Boro future as voters hold on tighter to their wallets, as the reality sets in:

"Of the twenty new or higher taxes in Obamacare, below are the five worst that will be foisted upon Americans for the first time on January l, 2013."
-Ohio Liberty Coalition -
http://www.ohiolibertycoalition.org
Comrade Z

Dayton, OH

#22715 Nov 27, 2012
jack meoff wrote:
<quoted text>
Good! Hopefully on that site, you can find a clue.
Not sure if you are male or female, but with a name like that, clearly you need to use your own hand.
my oh my

Dayton, OH

#22718 Nov 29, 2012
Ran into a neighbor who is tight with the Heatherwoode clan. Was told they have swinger parties out there all the time. What sluts!
Off Topic

Youngstown, OH

#22719 Nov 29, 2012
my oh my wrote:
Ran into a neighbor who is tight with the Heatherwoode clan. Was told they have swinger parties out there all the time. What sluts!
What does that have to do with Jack ShXX! Are you wanting to join or something??? Stick to the facts!
my oh my

Dayton, OH

#22720 Nov 29, 2012
Off Topic wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with Jack ShXX! Are you wanting to join or something??? Stick to the facts!
so,you know about it. Are you one with your zipper open?
end run

Germantown, OH

#22721 Dec 3, 2012
my oh my wrote:
It would be perfectly legitimate to wipe away the name of Heatherwoode then re-name the entire community "Housewife Sluts".

Local moral issues aside, Springboro would be a much better and livable city today had Heatherwoode and it's useless endless money pit of a golf course had never been constructed in the first place.
A business bypass 741 "mini-loop" would have created zoning for new retail business direstly east of town, not to mention significantly easing today's traffic nightmares through the congested bottleneck we like to call Boro's Historic District.

So what's going on these days? The overall attractiveness, aesthetic quality and livabily of Springboro continues a pattern of decline because of next to no self-regulation of the asthetic livability standard. In short, asthetic livability standard (ALS) is large scale curb appeal. Along with good schools, ALS is one of the first things that attracts newcomers to any given community. ALS has a lot to do with whether your kids decide to stay and raise your grandchildren here, or move away.

Get in your car and drive around Springboro. Compare relatively new business construction to what you see around other cutting edge 21st century midwest communities. Quite obviously no one on the Boro city council thought to hire the consulting services of a Livability Planner. Maybe they did, but were they too filled up with personal agenda or ego to actually follow that advice?!

Reminder

Wakeman, OH

#22722 Dec 3, 2012
Pay attention folks. What kind of levy does the board want? They are using the terms "replacement" and "renewal" interchangeably.
Types of Levies wrote:
Let's be very careful in understanding what type of levy is going to be asked for.
LEVY INFORMATION
Additional Levy - A new levy that produces more money for the district and will reflect an increase in property taxes.
Renewal Levy - Brings in the same amount of money for the district that an expiring levy generates and will not raise property taxes.
Replacement Levy - Generates more money for the district because it takes the place of a levy that is collected on the basis of old property values. A replacement levy raises the taxes to reflect the current market value of the property.
Emergency Levy - Emergency millage is only levied by school districts and collects the same amount of money annually for a specific number of years. If it is a new levy, it will increase the tax cost to a homeowner. If it is a renewal levy, it may cost the same, more or less based on the total evaluation of the school district. These levies are adjusted annually to reflect any changes in the total valuation of the school district.
Bond Levy - Levied for a specific number of years to pay the interest and principal for a permanent improvement. If it is a new levy, it will increase the tax cost to a homeowner. The amount paid varies from year to year and may decline over the length of the debt. The levied amount is calculated on the basis of the principal and interest payment for that year and takes into account any balance from the previous year.
The new Five year Forecast calls for a "renewal or replacement levy". They are two different things.
Reminder

Wakeman, OH

#22723 Dec 3, 2012
Where is the MONEY wrote:
As a taxpayer and long time contributor, I am more concerned with the missing one to two MILLION DOLLARS that the Boosters fleeced the taxpayers and the who knows how much Fund Raisers and Summer Camps money that Coaches put in their own pockets, than I care about who won the Football Game.
I want to know. WHERE IS THE MONEY?
I am still waiting for the answers. Where is the Springboro Police Departments investigation of the Boosters? Why hasn't the Prosecutor gotten involved?
Have the coaches turned over their bank statements and check books? Are they trying to spend all the money that is left? What is the Treasurer and the State Auditor doing?
What about the summer camp money?

WHERE IS THE MONEY?

Has the administration and the board forgotten about these issues? Are they hoping that the public forgets? I have not forgotten. I still want to know.
Reminder

Wakeman, OH

#22724 Dec 3, 2012
Kelly Kohls. We know you are reading this. Stand up for the public, the taxpayers, the voters. Find out. WHERE IS THE MONEY.
Priority One

Piqua, OH

#22725 Dec 4, 2012
Reminder wrote:
Kelly Kohls. We know you are reading this. Stand up for the public, the taxpayers, the voters. Find out. WHERE IS THE MONEY.
First of all, Springboro school district VOTERS want to express THANKS and APPRECIATION to school board president, Kelly Kohls.

Without our good neighbor, Kelly Kohls, standing up for the public against the self-interest corrupt Boro union agenda of politics of personal destruction, this scamming of our kids' sports fees by these few individual greedy sports coaches would never have been dug into and exposed to the "public."

Without the firm resolve of school board member, Kelly Kohls, to stand up for the "public" who chose her as BOE representative; (taking office in January 2010 on a 4-1 majority pro-union and anti-kids' first school board) the "VOTERS" could never have found out these financial dysfunctions going on "inside" the doors of our "excellent with distinction" Springboro schools.
Grapevine Schooling

Piqua, OH

#22726 Dec 4, 2012
In The News wrote:
<quoted text>
What IS the difference between a "replacement levy" and a "renewal levy?"

Both Mr. Petrey and school board member Mr. Rigano have used the term "renewal levy" being on the ballot in 2013.

Isn't it the understanding of voters that our school district's request that a "renewal levy" is needed tells us that the school district is living within the means of the community; and that NEW money is NOT included (and NOT hidden) in the school district's agenda to pass the "renewal levy" in 2013.
Is this correct?
Grapevine Schooling

Piqua, OH

#22727 Dec 4, 2012
In The News wrote:
<quoted text>
With greatest respect for personal circumstances of all Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners; we must consider the comments
of board members as stated in the November 15 Springboro Sun article: Schools 'in good shape'
Board member Jim Rigano said, "I don't think there's any question that we will have to be on the ballot with that renewal."
...District officials have been making cuts that will help in the future, according to superintendent Todd Petrey....
School officials must follow the spending habits of the public,
according to board member Wendy Kull.
Voters need to follow closely the public school board meetings as this renewal levy process unfolds; making sure that "collective demands" for educational services do not override individual rights of Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners.
According to board member Jim Rigano, the school district will put a "renewal" levy on the ballot. Doesn't "renewal levy" mean No New Tax Increases?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vandalia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This is your lucky Monday! 26 min Library Lover 6
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! 31 min Library Lover 40
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Canton 31,055
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Pete Lake 19,216
Ranked on of the most influential bands ever, T... 23 hr Gene Autrey 2
huber heights daytons dumping ground (Nov '09) Thu Hottcakes1 19
Charter school complaints prompt wider probe Wed Fan of Leon The Man 2
•••
•••
•••

Vandalia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Vandalia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE