Ohio bans new fee benefiting develope...

Ohio bans new fee benefiting developers | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 5 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 16, 2010, titled Ohio bans new fee benefiting developers | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Ohio has outlawed a novel real-estate practice that allows property developers to collect money for as long as 99 years each time a home in one of their developments is sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

History major

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 16, 2010
Way to go Ohio! Once I buy a home, car or anything else I may decide to sell later, the manufacturer of the product needs to make its profit at the time I buy it and then leave me alone. I have no problem paying fees to the people doing the work to help me sell it - real estate agent, mortgage co., Recorder fees, etc.

Developers should charge enough on the sale of the original home to cover its costs and build capital for the next development. If that means the original home costs a little more, so be it. We have to learn to buy homes we can afford anyway.
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 16, 2010
Those transfer covenantes are shady as all hell. I agree with banning them from the get-go.
Todd

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 16, 2010
These "transfer fees" are ridiculous. They get a percentage of the sale price every time the house is sold. This means if you invest your hard earned money on improvements to a property (eg an addition or extensive remodel) they profit from it.

Banning this practice is right on.

The other thing they don't mention is that the developer does not actually keep the fee, rather they put it in a package and securitize it (sell it off) so they get a lump sum of money up front and an investment bank receives the 99 year payout. Sound familiar to anyone? Think cause of recession.
James

Grove City, OH

#4 Jun 16, 2010
I can't say that I'm crazy about the idea either, but I would be curious to see how it would change the market on houses with this type of covenant.

99 years is crazy long too.

Although in regards to what History Major said, I can think of one product (exception that proves the rule) that should have fee percentages that go to the original manufacturer. That is art, where the original selling price of the item in no way reflects what it may sell for on the used marketed 10 years later.
Who cares

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 16, 2010
Yawn...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vandalia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 19 hr Whippin post 20,210
We await the "7-11" apologies to Trump... Wed Net Nut 6
This is your oasis (Jun '08) May 3 just me 3,175
David Paul Buhrman (Jun '11) May 2 David_M_B 2
why do white people smell like wet dogs? (Oct '14) May 2 Dennis Gannon 39
Brett May 1 missing you 1
Most of us reluctant Republicans... Apr 30 Leon Harrison 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vandalia Mortgages