of 2
Next Last
OMG

Olive Hill, KY

#1 Jan 22, 2011
01/20/11
Kentucky House of Representatives Pass Sentencing Reform Bills
Senate Judiciary to consider "smart on crime" legislation Jan.20
Lexington, Kentucky.- On Thursday, Jan 20, the Kentucky House of Representatives passed three drug sentencing reform bills - HB 5394 (H-3), 5395 (H-2), and HB 6510 (H-1)- that replace mandatory minimum drug sentences with sentencing guidelines now used for other serious offenses. The bills passed with an overwhelming bipartisan majority. The Senate Judiciary committee is expected to take up the bills tomorrow, Jan 21, at 1 p.m.
BILL
HB 5394 AND HB 5395 (Committee Substitutes) will:
· Targeting Drug Court Offender that test positive while in Drug Court for drug offenses;
judges to impose Maxium Mandatory consecutive (and emplied) sentences for (EVERY DRUG COURT OFFENDER THAT TEST POSITIVE) Every positive offenses will applied the mandatory consecutive sentencing for possession offenses; Therfor being CHARGED With TRAFFICKING and or possesion of said forth drugs witch is in offenders system if offender tests positive therefore guilt of said forth drug will be applied. and drug court will be terminated and parties remanded
judges to sentance Kentucky's sentencing guidelines to impose sentences based on all said forth facts of case (criminal history, use of a Drugs, other offenses)- not just drug weight;
· Restore judges' discretion to "fit the punishment to the crime" - meaning that the longest sentences (and biggest investment in expensive prison beds) will be reserved for Any Drug court Offender;
· Including Supervised probation for the lowest level drug offenses with the miniaum five-year Drug Testing period used for any Drug crimes;
· Allow judges to impose consecutive (stacked) sentences for delivery offenses but eliminate mandatory consecutive sentencing for possession offenses;
· Increase guideline penalties for the most serious offenses;
· Create new sentencing ranges (the minimum and maximum penalties) and drug amounts for each offense and
· Increase penalties for delivery in a home where a minor resides and for multiple offenses. The bills are sponsored by Rep and endorsed by Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM), the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Kentucky, the Kentucky Judicial Association, the Kentucky Association of Drug Court Professionals, the Kentucky Catholic Conference and the NAACP, Lexington Branch. The bills are an opportunity for legislators concerned about the high costs and injustices of mandatory sentencing laws to complete long over-due sentencing reform.
"We applaud the Kentucky,s House for taking a principled stand and hope the Kentucky,s Senate will do the same," said FAMM executive director. "Kentucky's current drug penalties, based solely on weight, are among the harshest in the nation. These laws, originally intended to target "DRUG COURT OFFENDERS" IT has netted many nonviolent, low-level offenders. These 'smart on crime' bills give judges discretion to fit the punishment to the crime within Kentucky Drug Court current sentencing guideline system while retaining tough penalties for top drug dealers."
"The longest sentences - and biggest investment in expensive prison beds - will be reserved for the most serious offenders. Judges will also be able to sentence low-level, nonviolent offenders to cost effective drug court and community corrections programs, where appropriate,".
just saying

Owingsville, KY

#2 Jan 23, 2011
good maybe maybe now all the pillheads wll be off the street
WHAT HAPPEN

Cleveland, GA

#3 Jan 23, 2011
ok simplify this lol
duh

Lexington, KY

#4 Jan 23, 2011
WHAT HAPPEN wrote:
ok simplify this lol
you must be a moron...read the last 2 paragraphs.
Simple Enough for you now

Olive Hill, KY

#5 Jan 23, 2011
(EVERY DRUG COURT OFFENDER THAT TEST POSITIVE) Every positive offenses will applied the mandatory consecutive sentencing for possession offenses; Therfor being CHARGED With TRAFFICKING and or possesion of said forth drugs witch is in offenders system if offender tests positive therefore guilt of said forth drug will be applied.
local123

Marion, OH

#6 Jan 24, 2011
lol
Joe Chip

United States

#7 Jan 24, 2011
Where did you find this information?..
just me

Lexington, KY

#8 Jan 24, 2011
There you go, picking on the addicts and letting the dealers walk. What a system.
I KNOW

Lexington, KY

#9 Feb 11, 2011
DRUG COURT DNT WRK UNLESS THE PERSON WANTS IT TO THEN ON 5% OF THEM GRADUATE, MY GIRLFRIEND GOT 5 SANCTION THE FIRS TWO WEEKS OF DRUG COURT. SHE DIDNT GET REVOKED INSTEAD THEY ARE SENDING HER TO A YEAR LONG REHAB, AN THEN RESUME WHERE SHE STARTED. WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT INSTEAD OF REVOKING HER SENTENCE, CUZ SHE WILL NOT MAKE IT. DRUG COURT IS A JOKE. SOME PEOPLE GET TREATED DIFFERENT BECAUSE THEY TELL ON EACH OTHER THATS NOT FAIR. THEY ARENT GETTING CLEAN THEY'RE FINDING DRUGS THAT WONT SHOW UP ON THE TEST.....WHAT A WASTE OF OUR MONEY.
youjustdontknow

Marion, OH

#10 Feb 11, 2011
Drug Court is a joke? Lol this crap comes from the people who couldnt stay clean and are looking for excuses. 19% higher success rate then the national average is bad? Get a clue and if you want to know facts just call Julie and ask her. She will tell you straight up and probably show you the paperwork to prove it. Just saying...
duh

Lexington, KY

#11 Feb 11, 2011
I dont do drugs or even drink but i do think its a waste of time....some of the offenders end up in jail in the end anyway so why give'em a chance...throw their ass's in the jail for a long time....if that dont work,throw'em in the pen for being repeat offenders,maybe gettin it in the ass may keep'em clean....I know of one that sold pills and made up all kinds of excuses why she failed the drug tests,etc....now her ass is in jail where she belongs...dont know how long she got but im sure it aint long enough.
lips

United States

#12 May 4, 2011
This program is a joke they expect way to much out of u but it has kept me sober and probably saved my life
waste of money

Ashland, KY

#13 May 4, 2011
drug court is a waste of money now tell me why anyone who fails a drug test should be given another chance after failing ONE test they should do thier full sentence time but no they can lots of times here and WOW get a few days in jail maybe what a waste of tax money
Bullcrap

Dunmor, KY

#14 Oct 13, 2011
They find away to keep them in there, to get their money it is called SAP....And there is a LONG waiting list to get in the program. So they still sit there waiting to get sent off somewhere that they stay locked up in a room...So much for the new law...
jjj

Grayson, KY

#15 Dec 8, 2011
there's a lotta people out there is lost and just needs help finding there way back to there family's,the way they used to be as a kid, happy. Its always pillhead that or pillhead this, what about some of the we get, try and sit down and figure something out, i mean look we got 2 courthouses 2 libary's. there is money there,somewhere.
ahh

Lexington, KY

#16 Oct 21, 2012
boyd county drug court AND fayette county drug court is a joke. they make any excuse possible to not phase you up when youre long past the time to be phased up and when youre working your a$$ off. you dont even have to have one dirty for them to find reasons to not phase you up. i seriously wouldnt reccommend this program for anyone whatsoever
seriousness

Highland, MI

#17 Oct 22, 2012
Waste of money... lock them up for their crime committed. LC needs to crack down and try to build a decent community.
LCIOUNS ARE DUMB

Wallingford, KY

#18 Oct 23, 2012
I love how everyone just want to talk shit about pillheads when they are probably one thereself and if they are not a pillhead they live in lewis county so you know they have at least one loved one that is a head. You all are dumb dumb dumb haha Im lovin it...
child of God

Cleveland, GA

#19 Oct 24, 2012
what this whole town needs is God in their lives, when you leave God out of our families, in our decesions that we make for our families we tend to get into trouble. These people as you call them pillheads, druggies, etc.. they are human beings that life has dealt a bad hand in life, they turn to whatever they can to forget the pain or everyday problems that we as a person goes thru , no jobs, sickness , loss of loved ones, and we need to teach them that their is a high, a buzz in life, his name is Jesus, God's son, and that he can help them thru any problem or situation they may be facing, he loved them so much that he went to the cross of Calvary for them and shed his precious blood, we need to start having prayer for these persons and letting them know that their is a better life, a better way for them, just cry out to him, he hers our every word
Real talk

Madisonville, KY

#21 Nov 21, 2012
Duh and waste of money, you are both stupid as hell

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vanceburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fine upstanding family 13 hr Sue 2
help Thu help 3
Anyone know Jerry maus (May '10) Jun 29 7887acb 6
Daniel stone Jun 29 Love 3
help for flood victim Jun 28 Nodough 2
Jason Hannah Jun 28 farmgirl 1
Let's talk about dead beat mother's Jun 28 dolts 5

Vanceburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance