VWHS band director
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Former band member

Bellefontaine, OH

#1 Aug 25, 2012
This is suppose to be a marching band not a standing band!!! Band parents paid for the band to go to camp and this is what they learned all week!!! It's time for a change of directors!!!

Since: Aug 11

Springfield, IL

#2 Aug 25, 2012
Did anyone notice the announcer calling him Bobe instead of Bob?
2bad

Sunbury, OH

#3 Aug 25, 2012
Stay tuned. Check out next week's show. You will not find a more dedicated, hard working, talented band director as Mr. Bob Sloan. Quick to judge. 4 shows. All learned in a week. Plus a gazillion new stand tunes. Come on here and bash him......coward.
face it

Dubuque, IA

#4 Aug 26, 2012
Van Wertians are too damned impatient. They want everything perfect and FREE right now!
Joe

Bryan, OH

#5 Aug 26, 2012
face it wrote:
Van Wertians are too damned impatient. They want everything perfect and FREE right now!
You bet! "George Washtngtoa" Christians are like that. Los 'a them folks in VW,

Since: Aug 11

Springfield, IL

#6 Aug 26, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>You bet! "George Washtngtoa" Christians are like that. Los 'a them folks in VW,
Hmmm??? Engwish pwease.
Joe dont know

Marion, OH

#7 Aug 26, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>You bet! "George Washtngtoa" Christians are like that. Los 'a them folks in VW,
George Washington was a Deist, not many 'a them folks in VW.
smfho

Cancún, Mexico

#8 Aug 27, 2012
You guys should be grateful to have this guy on staff at vwhs. Quit yer bitchin. He is good.
Former band member

Bellefontaine, OH

#9 Aug 27, 2012
Missed the tradition of the great VWHS band marching under the stadium!! Also, the formation of the VW!! Please keep some of the great traditions of Van Wert High School!

Since: Aug 12

United States

#10 Aug 27, 2012
ANKLE BITERS are the only thing that ever marched in mass numbers in the ole Vdub.

Didn't know yorkies liked to breed so dang much.
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Mount Vernon, OH

#11 Aug 29, 2012
Mr. Sloan comes across as a nice guy but he still pissed me off last year when I attended one football game and there was NOT a pregame show. What the heck is up with that?? Mr. Alessendrini knew what the heck he was doing.
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Mount Vernon, OH

#12 Aug 29, 2012
I agree with you 100% on that one!! That percussion section literally shook that stadium while going through there. Heck in the current state of that band, without pregame and all those past traditions, it really makes me frown on the current band program.
Former band member wrote:
Missed the tradition of the great VWHS band marching under the stadium!! Also, the formation of the VW!! Please keep some of the great traditions of Van Wert High School!
Jenelle Sperry

Ada, OH

#13 Sep 2, 2012
You know, it's not his fault that the band is smaller now than it was when you were in it. That's why the percussion doesn't "shake the stadium" anymore. There are 67 kids in the band. Give them some credit. They also DO march under the tunnel before half time. The tradition isn't dead. There had to be some reason that they didn't at the game you were in attendance for. And the reason the half time show was just standing and playing the first week is that he wanted to debut his well thought out and brilliant show for people who would be there to see the band, aka the people at the fair show. If you have such a problem with Mr. Sloan, you should man up and take it public rather than posting about him and the band on Topix. They have worked hard, and the show they debuted this last week was genius. Sloan does a great gob with what he has.
Band Supporter

Lima, OH

#14 Sep 2, 2012
I agree with Jenelle. When you make comments like that, you are not only hurting a good man who works hard but also the students who have put in a lot of time.
If you saw the fair show, you would understand that Van Wert is WAY ahead of most of the schools in our area.
Be proud of the VWHS Marching Band. I sure am.
Jenelle Sperry

Ada, OH

#15 Sep 2, 2012
In my previous comment, I meant they march under the tunnel before pregame. My mistake.
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

Mount Vernon, OH

#16 Sep 2, 2012
Oh so now you want me to pay $8 to get into the fair and watch the band? HECK NO!! The fair is too expensive. The bottom line is in the numbers. Mr. Sloan could learn an extreme amount of knowledge from Toni Alessendrini.
Jenelle Sperry

Ada, OH

#17 Sep 2, 2012
First of all, it's six dollars. Second of all, I never said you had to go to the fair. Did you not read my post? They debuted the new show at the fair. That would mean that they are going to continue performing it. The VWHS band performed the same show they debuted at the fair at the football game two days ago.

And again, it is not Mr. Sloan's fault that the numbers are lower. Music in our school system is underrated, so parents don't always push their children to try things like band. Also, many people have to be in the higher level classes now because they have big plans for their futures, which means that their schedules often conflict with that of the band during school hours. The future of music is schools is very difficult to determine because of the lack of support and things like what I have described. As a music education major, I have to know these things to know if I will have a job when I graduate college.

Mr. Sloan and Mr. A are friends, and they do discuss the shows that Sloan creates.

Also, if you have a problem with Sloan and what he does, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to discuss it with you. He's very open about that.
Crazy

Wakeman, OH

#18 Sep 2, 2012
I have been patient on here, all I see are parents or spectators bashing anyone who is trying to teach or coach students now bashing an music instructor, my god parents no wonder kids are the way they are in today society. The parents set the example, Im glad i came from the old school and was taught respect for everyone, and i passed it on to my children. SOME PARENTS NEED TO GROW UP. Im sure your kids are reading what you put on here.i know my grammer is not the best im using my cell phone.
crazier

Deshler, OH

#19 Sep 2, 2012
Crazy wrote:
I have been patient on here, all I see are parents or spectators bashing anyone who is trying to teach or coach students now bashing an music instructor, my god parents no wonder kids are the way they are in today society. The parents set the example, Im glad i came from the old school and was taught respect for everyone, and i passed it on to my children. SOME PARENTS NEED TO GROW UP. Im sure your kids are reading what you put on here.i know my grammer is not the best im using my cell phone.
Don't let it get to you. This is what happens on here when you get a bunch of people together who have no brains, no job, no class, no money, no self respect and no ambition along with no real desire to change any of that. I'm not excluding myself either, although I don't bash those who don't bash.
Angie

Bellefontaine, OH

#20 Sep 4, 2012
Mr. Sloan is a great man and an AMAZING director. I had him from fifth grade until I graduated high school and I can honestly say that there is no teacher more dedicated to his career than that man and I learned more from him than anyone. Your life must be pretty damn sad if you really felt the need to come on here and bitch about a high school band show. Get over it. There are 60 kids in band.. it's not enough to do the VW anymore, it's not like he wanted to kill the tradition. Marching band takes a lot of hard work and dedication, more so than anyone could possibly understand unless you were a band kid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meth the new craze 2 hr she knows 2
It's your money 3 hr Car sales 18
Why is YMCA buying a golf course 5 hr brewski 27
Obama Weinstein Connection 5 hr Conservative voter 7
Spectrum 7 hr Macey 7
Glowing tombstone 12 hr hello world 2
nfl protests Tue diks 31

Van Wert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance