First Prev
of 3
Next Last
you got to be kidding

Bellefontaine, OH

#1 Aug 6, 2012
Connecticut beaches closed so Obama can fund-raise with Hollywood mogul
Beachgoers, get lost. 6 August 2012
Amid the peak summer season, two of Connecticut’s popular public beaches -- maintained with taxpayer money -- will close Monday to accommodate President Obama’s fundraising excursion that ends with a $35,800-per-plate event at movie mogul Harvey Weinstein’s mansion. And Republicans aren't happy about it.
The 238-acre Sherwood Island State Park will be closed so the president’s helicopter can land and then take off after a day-long trip that begins in Stamford.
The other beach, the roughly two-acre Burying Hill Beach, is adjacent to Weinstein’s mansion and is owned by the town of Westport. Both beaches border the Long Island Sound.
"This is the height of hypocrisy," state House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr. told FoxNews.com .
Cafero, a Norwalk Republican, said he was so shocked to hear the parks would be closed to accommodate Obama's fundraisers that he immediate double-checked his information.
"Purely political," he said. "Can you imagine if George W. Bush in 2004 had requested that our Republican governor shut down the park? It would have made national news. This is wrong in so many ways."
This is not the first time the state park has been closed so a president could use it as an airport for reelection fundraisers in southwest Connecticut.
President Bill Clinton used the Sherwood park twice for trips that included fundraising events. He landed there in 1998 for a series of events that included a fundraiser that reportedly raised $350,000 for his party. A year later, the park was closed for much of the day for Clinton, who attended a fundraising luncheon for the Democratic National Committee and the Women's Leadership Forum that reportedly raised more than $400,000.
Obama is scheduled to begin his trip to Connecticut with a fundraiser at the Stamford Marriott Hotel, then attend Weinstein's evening fundraiser that is reported to include such celebrities as Anne Hathaway, Aaron Sorkin, Joanne Woodward and Vogue editor Anna Wintour.
Beyond forcing beach-goers to swim elsewhere on a hot summer day, the state will also lose daily parking fees --$9 for in-state visitors and $15 for out-of-state cars, critics say.
"I don't like to inconvenience the public to any degree," Westport Selectman Gordon Joseloff said Monday. "But I understand that security is paramount."
Joseloff, a Democrat, said he's already gotten phone calls about local tax dollars being spent on additional security and that beach-goers are being turned away "as we speak."
123jump

Deshler, OH

#2 Aug 6, 2012
Fox News. Fair unbalanced.
mitt happens

Lima, OH

#3 Aug 6, 2012
i think this is a terrible thing for the president to do...who ever heard of shutting down a beach?? i would never do such a thing, i would just hold the event in my 10,000 sq ft mansion. gees

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#4 Aug 6, 2012
mitt happens wrote:
i think this is a terrible thing for the president to do...who ever heard of shutting down a beach?? i would never do such a thing, i would just hold the event in my 10,000 sq ft mansion. gees
Plenty of beaches on the east coast for people to go to...js
Rage Against

Thornville, OH

#5 Aug 6, 2012
I'm no huge Obama fan, but Faux News is ridiculous. I honestly don't know anyone who watches it on purpose.
I Must Be Clairvoyant

Lima, OH

#6 Aug 6, 2012
Wow! How did I know who started this topic, before I even looked? Wonder if I could get my own show on the sci-fi channel? I must have a gift!

Beyond that, this is too dippy to even give serious consideration to! Pure silliness! Maybe Obama spit some gum out on a sidewalk somewhere today too! That guy! For shame! Everything move he makes is just always wrong-wrong-wrong! And so evil to boot! What more is there to say? LOL
hum

Lima, OH

#7 Aug 6, 2012
I actually read about this on MSNBC, which is an extremely liberal website. They didn't put the same spin on it, but the facts are the same.
I have watched Fox news (not the crazy commentators, just the hard news) and if you just watch the news feed it is not that much different than CNN or MSNBC.
And those beaches were indeed closed so Obama could have his fund raiser.
The Cavs

Lima, OH

#8 Aug 6, 2012
I Must Be Clairvoyant wrote:
Wow! How did I know who started this topic, before I even looked? Wonder if I could get my own show on the sci-fi channel? I must have a gift!
Beyond that, this is too dippy to even give serious consideration to! Pure silliness! Maybe Obama spit some gum out on a sidewalk somewhere today too! That guy! For shame! Everything move he makes is just always wrong-wrong-wrong! And so evil to boot! What more is there to say? LOL
You might be clairvoyant. I must be gifted too, because I knew he'd mention Fox News.
Remember Scanners? Maybe if we both really, really concentrate, his head'll explode.
FYI

Lima, OH

#9 Aug 6, 2012
The Cavs wrote:
<quoted text>You might be clairvoyant. I must be gifted too, because I knew he'd mention Fox News.
Remember Scanners? Maybe if we both really, really concentrate, his head'll explode.
Ok! Let's give it a whirl! LOL

Also heard some late breaking news! Obama doesn't always pick up Beau's poo off the White House lawn! I think this may be an impeachable offense! FOX will have more details in the morning!
FYI

Lima, OH

#10 Aug 6, 2012
hum wrote:
I actually read about this on MSNBC, which is an extremely liberal website. They didn't put the same spin on it, but the facts are the same.
I have watched Fox news (not the crazy commentators, just the hard news) and if you just watch the news feed it is not that much different than CNN or MSNBC.
And those beaches were indeed closed so Obama could have his fund raiser.
Oh, I wasn't doubting they in fact closed the beach for a day. Don't they often close off areas for security reasons when any president is using a facility or venue? I doubt this is unheard of or unprecedented or so extraordinary.

I agree with you! I watch the straight non-commentary news at FOX occasionally. I don't really care for the network as a whole, but you are correct, they have some news that is not so bias. Shepard Smith is palatable/reasonable/not a "crazy" either. But I still have a hard time being a huge fan of anyone who goes along with FOX's overall hygienic. Merely my own preference.

Since: Jun 11

Northville, MI

#11 Aug 7, 2012
Another big waste of money. I know all presidents waste money..... but, The Obamas, especially Michelle, are pathetic. They don't care about anyone but themselves!!
tourist

Napoleon, OH

#12 Aug 7, 2012
Hey, I paid good money in the 90's for a bus tour of kennebunk port Maine. Couldn't even get close because pres bush sr was there. Presidents from both parties have been screwing tourists for decades.
FYI

Lima, OH

#13 Aug 7, 2012
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I wasn't doubting they in fact closed the beach for a day. Don't they often close off areas for security reasons when any president is using a facility or venue? I doubt this is unheard of or unprecedented or so extraordinary.
I agree with you! I watch the straight non-commentary news at FOX occasionally. I don't really care for the network as a whole, but you are correct, they have some news that is not so bias. Shepard Smith is palatable/reasonable/not a "crazy" either. But I still have a hard time being a huge fan of anyone who goes along with FOX's overall hygienic. Merely my own preference.
Not that it matters, but that was supposed to be "FOX's overall hijinks", which my spell corrector changed to "hygienic". LOL
Rev Cathy

Delphos, OH

#14 Aug 11, 2012
you got to be kidding wrote:
Amid the peak summer season, two of Connecticut’s popular public beaches -- maintained with taxpayer money -- will close Monday to accommodate President Obama’s fundraising excursion that ends with a $35,800-per-plate event at movie mogul Harvey Weinstein’s mansion. And Republicans aren't happy about it.
The 238-acre Sherwood Island State Park will be closed so the president’s helicopter can land and then take off after a day-long trip that begins in Stamford.
The other beach, the roughly two-acre Burying Hill Beach, is adjacent to Weinstein’s mansion and is owned by the town of Westport. Both beaches border the Long Island Sound.
"This is the height of hypocrisy," state House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr. told FoxNews.com .
Cafero, a Norwalk Republican, said he was so shocked to hear the parks would be closed to accommodate Obama's fundraisers that he immediate double-checked his information.
"Purely political," he said. "Can you imagine if George W. Bush in 2004 had requested that our Republican governor shut down the park? It would have made national news. This is wrong in so many ways."
This is not the first time the state park has been closed so a president could use it as an airport for reelection fundraisers in southwest Connecticut.
President Bill Clinton used the Sherwood park twice for trips that included fundraising events. He landed there in 1998 for a series of events that included a fundraiser that reportedly raised $350,000 for his party. A year later, the park was closed for much of the day for Clinton, who attended a fundraising luncheon for the Democratic National Committee and the Women's Leadership Forum that reportedly raised more than $400,000.
Obama is scheduled to begin his trip to Connecticut with a fundraiser at the Stamford Marriott Hotel, then attend Weinstein's evening fundraiser that is reported to include such celebrities as Anne Hathaway, Aaron Sorkin, Joanne Woodward and Vogue editor Anna Wintour.
Beyond forcing beach-goers to swim elsewhere on a hot summer day, the state will also lose daily parking fees --$9 for in-state visitors and $15 for out-of-state cars, critics say.
"I don't like to inconvenience the public to any degree," Westport Selectman Gordon Joseloff said Monday. "But I understand that security is paramount."
Joseloff, a Democrat, said he's already gotten phone calls about local tax dollars being spent on additional security and that beach-goers are being turned away "as we speak."
YOU CAN'T BELEVIE ANYTHING FROM FOX NEW!!! LMAO EVERYONE KNOWS THERE ABOUT TO BE PUT OFF THE AIR FOR ALL THERE LIES!
rwb

Lima, OH

#15 Aug 11, 2012
you got to be kidding wrote:
Were you outraged like this back in 03 when GW Bush shut down a lot of different locations in Hawaii for political fundraising? He affected waters surrounding beachfront areas of the Kahala Mandarin and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The USS Arizona Memorial. Honolulu Airport.

United States

#16 Aug 12, 2012
FYI, you really didn't want to go here did you now........
rwb

Lima, OH

#17 Aug 12, 2012
UdintBuildThat wrote:
Look this is a thing done by incumbent Presidents going out on the campaigning trail do.

Marietta, GA

#18 Aug 12, 2012
The last time we had a Democrat leave the White House they stole the Silverware and curtains and took buttons off keyboards.

Wonder how big of sore losers they will be this time...
FYI

Lima, OH

#19 Aug 12, 2012
UdintBuildThat wrote:
Go there?...I can't BELIEVE you guys are going "there" either!...talking so childish about a beach being closed for what, ONE day? Like it's a major catastrophe! Like sitting presidents have never done fund raisers, needing extra presidential security while campaigning for reelection. Please! Once again a case where you wing nuts take a very ordinary circumstances and create melodrama out of it because it's in regards to Obama! Just plain childish!

Talk to some people who reside across the street from the GOP convention venue in Tampa! Their life is being QUITE disrupted, and this is their home they play hefty rents for, or condos they own. They're being instructed about what they will be able to do and not do over the course of the convention!...and this goes on for the better part of a WEEK! There won't even be any sitting or EVEN past presidents in attendance from my understanding. But people have to be grown ups and take it in stride, because it's about the security of a lot of people!

Also comical (in the initial topic post here) how people demonize the "Hollywood types", as if they aren't "real" people, don't breathe oxygen, don't have a right to vote or support a candidate, aren't "real" US citizens or even "real" HUMANS like anyone else! That Anne Hathaway!...she's such a scary monster, isn't she? Woooooooo! LOL

The person who started this thread has some perv-ish compulsion about dog poop, so it's not giving you a whole lot of credibility to jump on board their band wagon, Kenne!:-D

United States

#20 Aug 12, 2012
Wasn't referring to closing a beach for a day. Was talking about your intolerance of Fox News because they actually present the entire story. You have a lot of pent up intolerance.
Just like Chick Fil A. I mean are you going to stop buying gasoline from the folks that believe homos should be thrown off a cliff?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
assault on chetnu t st this morning somebody go... 17 min Nosey 2
What's that old lady probation officers name up... 1 hr Fkpop 1
Shane seekings 2 hr perfect 2
Shannon Mason 3 hr Karla 8
Austin Day? 3 hr Karma 5
marshas packin her stuff 3 hr Karma 31
so i see in the paper we are messing with natur... 4 hr meow 11
Resivoir 7 hr Apollo 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance