Simply Irresistible
Notlame

Lima, OH

#82 Nov 5, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you don't know, Perks is carrying a full line of donuts, cookies and cupcakes. The cupcakes/cake cups are only once a week for now but the other items are daily and much better than anything SI offers. It's also no secret that Laura and Travis don't care for one another at all. Perks buys local for their bakery items and the women making them use quality ingredients and obviously are real bakers. Travis is selling premade donuts that he's claiming he makes, and boxed mix dry cupcakes. His molded chocolates are horrendous, he's using some cheap chocolate which is resulting to gross candies. The advise I'd give him is to make things truly from scratch the way a real bakery would. He needs to contact distributors in that line and start buying good ingredient bases instead of the generic stuff he's using now. I know that all bakeries use mixes here and there, but they start out with high quality bases and use high quality chocolate, vanilla, fruits and juices, that's what sets then apart from generic places.
I agree with everything you just said. I have no problem that he is gay and I do not think that should make a difference to anyone. I have never been to Perks, but I have bought cookies from Shannon (Flour loves Sugar) and they are now being carried there. Her cookies are wonderful. Even better than home made. I have also bought a cake from Travis and purchased other things. While I will continue to shop at his bakery he needs to step it up. He needs to use quality ingredients. He is trying to do too much variety and is losing quality. Granted in a pinch it will do. I hope his business does well, but remember you only get what you put in. So please Travis if you read this know I wish you the best, but give us the quality we are paying for. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it taste good.
Not fair

United States

#83 Nov 5, 2012
never the less......Perks hot chocolate still taste like water with a tiny side of chocolate!!! Seriously go taste for yourself, thats all the proof you need.
Lol

Columbia City, IN

#84 Nov 5, 2012
Get a coffee then
brooke

Columbus, OH

#85 Nov 5, 2012
Tried simply irresistible this weekend despite all these terrible reviews. I waited until i tried it myself to say anything. We went around 430 and he didn't have much left to choose from.(Hopefully because he nearly sold out) There were 6 cupcakes in the case. We bought two , a thin mint and bubble gum. They were not dry, or tasteless at all. The mint icing was great. I do think I could do them myself if I looked up a recipe, but I did not have to make them.:) They weren't anything go brag about but give the business a chance people.. He deserves a shot , we all have to start somewhere. Have any of you considered he is just starting out and pinching pennies to get this place going ? Support him and hopefully he can keep growing and be able to purchase those high quality ingredients he needs. He's trying to bring money into Van Wert, It can not be easy to start a business right now.. Good luck Travis!!
Bake It

Medina, OH

#86 Nov 5, 2012
brooke wrote:
Have any of you considered he is just starting out and pinching pennies to get this place going ? Support him and hopefully he can keep growing and be able to purchase those high quality ingredients he needs. He's trying to bring money into Van Wert, It can not be easy to start a business right now.. Good luck Travis!!
No. Because as a start up you always have to put your best foot forward. Starting out with cheap ingredients and sub par food is not putting your top effort into it. I won't support a business that half asses it in the hopes that my money will convince them to put more money into what they are making. Why would they? By not shopping there he loses money, maybe that is the wake up call. Make a better product=more business. Keep making crap=less business. It's difficult to start up a business at any time, that's why you want to keep people coming back.
brooke

Columbus, OH

#87 Nov 5, 2012
Bake It wrote:
<quoted text>No. Because as a start up you always have to put your best foot forward. Starting out with cheap ingredients and sub par food is not putting your top effort into it. I won't support a business that half asses it in the hopes that my money will convince them to put more money into what they are making. Why would they? By not shopping there he loses money, maybe that is the wake up call. Make a better product=more business. Keep making crap=less business. It's difficult to start up a business at any time, that's why you want to keep people coming back.
I understand. If I were to start a business I would want to wow my customers right away , so they can't wait to come back . I really see your point I'm just to nice maybe, and after following these reviews I was expecting a lot worse than what they were you know? just hope with time he will get better . Even though he should know how to run a business already if its true he opened a restaurant somewhere else. But either way he has along way to go if he wants to make it around here.
Bake It

Brinkhaven, OH

#88 Nov 5, 2012
Someone told me he just asked for testimonials on Facebook. My take on that: if you have a great product people will offer those testimonials on your website and online at places like Urban Spoon. I also think that asking on Facebook is a joke. People he's friends with aren't going to say what they really feel. I guarantee they will all use words like, "yummy, moist, delicious, the best, fabulous, quality"...and be doing him a disservice. I wish any new start up in town the best of luck, but when you are getting free and unsolicited advice you should take it. Topix may suck, but there is truth in most posts from my experience when it comes to subjects like this.
brooke

Columbus, OH

#89 Nov 5, 2012
What is their Facebook page? Am I the only one that cant find it! Lol
Yummy

Wadsworth, OH

#90 Nov 5, 2012
Just an opinion from a semi-pro baker who has not tried his product, Wilton's recommend using Duncan Hines cakes for their professional bakers. My instructor uses Pillsbury (which I dont like). With that being said. If the rest of the things are 'from scratch' than he is doing it like most bakers do. Like the person that worked at Butlers mentioned, their cakes come from mix also, just larger packages. Now as far as where he buys his oil/sugar/flour/spices what difference does that make? Why does it matter if he goes GFS or Walmart? I know SEVERAL pros that shop at Aldi's for ALL their needs, except for anything in a mix. You will see ladies/men with carts full of sugar/flour/oils/eggs/vanilla. Especially around fair season, the food vendors clear them out!
Bake It

Greensburg, PA

#91 Nov 5, 2012
Yummy wrote:
Just an opinion from a semi-pro baker who has not tried his product, Wilton's recommend using Duncan Hines cakes for their professional bakers. My instructor uses Pillsbury (which I dont like). With that being said. If the rest of the things are 'from scratch' than he is doing it like most bakers do. Like the person that worked at Butlers mentioned, their cakes come from mix also, just larger packages. Now as far as where he buys his oil/sugar/flour/spices what difference does that make? Why does it matter if he goes GFS or Walmart? I know SEVERAL pros that shop at Aldi's for ALL their needs, except for anything in a mix. You will see ladies/men with carts full of sugar/flour/oils/eggs/vanilla. Especially around fair season, the food vendors clear them out!
If they are buying flour and sugar then they are making their base and don't need a boxed mix. His items are dry because if it isn't bad enough he's using generic mixes on top of that he's baking them too long and must not be using enough oil. I don't know what he's using in his greasy frosting, perhaps some cheap lard? I've never met a professional baker who has exclusively used boxed mixes. Ever. A semi pro baker should know the various types of flour and the quality behind them. Oil and eggs are also very important, I won't vote you with the details. Vanilla is one item where I've heard several schools of thought on what to use. And then there is cocoa powder and chocolate, you have to use the best you can afford. As a bakery he shouldn't be using whatever crap he is, I think he's buying cheap melts from Walmart or Pick and Save instead of quality real chocolate.
Bake It

Greensburg, PA

#92 Nov 5, 2012
- bore, not vote
Go bake off

Norwalk, OH

#93 Nov 5, 2012
Why is it that random funny comments about perks keep popping up? I heard she helped him with start up, I was actually in the shop when he called her frantic, and her family who were previous renters in the building he is in helped him too. Give me a freaking break.
Go to perks you can WATCH them make your stuff. I watch them get the freaking milk out of the refrigerator, her beverage equipment is pretty high tech, and the girl that owns it has certifications in beverages. Haven't you ever read the paper? They do a lot of articles about her passing all these coffee things. After reading this whole entire crap on here, sounds like Travis might be a little bent over wanting to be like perks, and keeps posting to get the comments off of him. This is funny actually, because this town is gullible!! He didn't own a freaking restaurant, he didn't even know how to start this one. He's got a problem with lying. That's it. His lies are catching up with him. He also wasn't on cupcake wars, and they didn't ask him to be at comic con. Get freaking real? He must have a good thing at the bakery, because the shit he's feeding you people, has you believing he's something he's not.
And that girl at perks wouldn't help people that she didn't like. Keep perks out of this. Or better yet, get your lazy asses away from your computer, he'll take it with you, they have wifi at the coffeehouse, and watch them make your stuff. Sorry Travis, know your reading this. Hell soon he will be telling us he's making cupcakes for the new president Wednesday morning. Get out more, there are lots of cupcake places just 30 miles away. THOSE are cupcakes!!!
Bake It

Greensburg, PA

#94 Nov 5, 2012
It's no secret Laura doesn't like him. She's an honest person and will give you her honest opinion about him if you ask. I assume the Perks comments keep popping up because it's always better to try and point the finger elsewhere. Perks is a coffeehouse and they still have better desserts versus SI.
Billy Gray Ham

Deshler, OH

#95 Nov 5, 2012
Can someone explain cheap ingredients? Isn't sugar, sugar and flour, flour? Milk is milk, eggs are eggs, etc. or am I mistaken?
Doctor Who

Paulding, OH

#96 Nov 5, 2012
I forgot about his Comic Con cake claim. Wonder what the excuse will be for that one.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#97 Nov 5, 2012
Billy Gray Ham wrote:
Can someone explain cheap ingredients? Isn't sugar, sugar and flour, flour? Milk is milk, eggs are eggs, etc. or am I mistaken?
I think they are referring to poor quality flavorings such as chocolate. There are different quality levels of chocolate. Like the difference between eating a piece of Esther Price chocolates vs an M&M or using Nestle real chocolate chips vs some off-brand imitation chocolate chips in a recipe.

And also the fat used. Just as in home baking, real butter gives a much better flavor than margarine or lard.
Baker

Cleveland, OH

#98 Nov 5, 2012
Billy Gray Ham wrote:
Flour is different, there are different types and the way it's processed can vary. There are also different grades of butter and where it's made can have a huge difference on the final taste of the product. Eggs have to be the freshest possible, most bakeries work out an arrangement with a local farm for eggs. Oil, vanilla and chocolate are the other items where a higher grade results in a better product. Fruit should always be fresh and in season unless you find a superb frozen product, you want to also try and use the juice out of those fruits and in citrus the zest That's why they need to be fresh and high quality. Sugar is sugar for the most part.

I'd say from tasting a few of his items that he's buying everything as cheaply as possible. I don't know if that's because he can't afford it, he doesn't know where to purchase the items and didn't make enough contacts at food shows to get establish vendors to purchase from, or if he believes he's doing well enough. Unless you do a decent size wedding cake or three every week this business can take you down. We are talking $2-$3 items. You have to sell a hell of a lot every single day to justify keeping the lights on.
Yummy

Wadsworth, OH

#99 Nov 6, 2012
Bake It wrote:
<quoted text>
If they are buying flour and sugar then they are making their base and don't need a boxed mix. His items are dry because if it isn't bad enough he's using generic mixes on top of that he's baking them too long and must not be using enough oil. I don't know what he's using in his greasy frosting, perhaps some cheap lard? I've never met a professional baker who has exclusively used boxed mixes. Ever. A semi pro baker should know the various types of flour and the quality behind them. Oil and eggs are also very important, I won't vote you with the details. Vanilla is one item where I've heard several schools of thought on what to use. And then there is cocoa powder and chocolate, you have to use the best you can afford. As a bakery he shouldn't be using whatever crap he is, I think he's buying cheap melts from Walmart or Pick and Save instead of quality real chocolate.
It sounds like you are a baker, which means you know half or more of a good product is not over mixing, correct baking time, correct temp of ingredients going into mixes, etc. He could be buying his dry goods for cookies, frostings, preparing the cake pans. Sometimes if you dont use good cocoa, a box mix is a better choice! I agree with you about why is product is poor to some. I just meant people complaining about him using boxed cake mixes would be surprised by most bakeries. They think what they get from bakeries is all made right there, in house. Bet most dont know some of the best cakes come from Main Street Market and their cakes come to the store premade frozen sheet cakes. Most of the grocery stores donuts come frozen and they frost them there.
Baking is all in technique and practice, practice, practice. I can tell when a cake/brownies/cookies are done by smell but that doesnt mean I dont check it AND set a timer just to be sure. Hopefully he learns these things and his product gets better. Like I said I dont know what it tastes like but I just went this past summer to cake tastings for a friends wedding and I was not impressed by anyone but Alex at BTP in Delphos. The place in Grover Hill is dry and tasteless and frosting is too sweet, Nikki in Delphos was the worst one EVER. Dry and her chocolate was the color of pine wood and had no flavor. Plus I dont want someone making my cake with her dogs sleeping in the kitchen you bake in (her dogs bed is right beside her commercial oven. She makes excuses about how her dogs dont shed, blah, blah, blah)
Bakers are usually the hardest to please when tasting someone elses baked good. I know I will not serve anything unless it is perfect, I am very critical of myself. A post like this about my baking would really make me step things up:)
Yummy

Wadsworth, OH

#100 Nov 6, 2012
I forgot to mention, I have done lots of research into generic products to make sure there was no difference between store brand medicines and name brand. In my research, I found that grocery items like flour, sugar, meal, baking soda and powder are all the same BY LAW. When you buy the Great Value flour, you are buying the same thing as Gold Medal. I know you wouldnt think this to be true but by law it has to be. These things are regulated by FDA. Now the sifting and processing can differ, I notice that GM has a much better consistancy than GV but if you sift GV, you will get the same thing, just have to put in the extra work. I have come across some generic spices that have better flavor than the name brand. Its all in research and taste testing. Look it up:)

Since: Nov 12

Rockford, OH

#101 Nov 6, 2012
Its amazing how most of the negative comments are shown they live quite away from vAN wERT. Sounds like a personal agenda here not the business itself.
Its alot easier to slander and people believe than tell the truth.
Good luck Travis in your venture and so what if you use a mix. maybe not.
And as for the doughnuts? Well even if he buys the pe cut dough. He would still be baking or frying them to give you a taste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are they so quiet 4 min keeper 20
guy dress like a woman 1 hr friend 25
Connie Allen 3 hr GenerationX 9
Seen it coming 9 hr MattManVW 22
state of the union 9 hr God bless American 2
ok,, start over here again ,,the last days 17 hr Religion 101 114
van wert man missing Fri perfect 13

Van Wert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance