Pastor? That does group meetings for ...

Pastor? That does group meetings for drug addiction

Posted in the Van Wert Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gettin Sober

Delphos, OH

#1 Jan 12, 2013
Does anyone know contact info for this man? I'm not even sure if he is a pastor or not, but has something to do with the church. I believe he has group meetings for people with addictions who would like help. I would be very greatful for any info. Thank you!

“..EXPECT US..”

Since: Dec 12

LULZ, OHIO

#2 Jan 12, 2013
Never heard of anyone like that but if you don't find the answer on here then I'd say call Westwood and ask them. They usually have contacts for people like that. Also, be wary of local group meetings. The bad thing with those is that it's a small town and people talk. Also a lot just go to them because of court orders or to score/find a new hookup. I've always found that one on one therapy helps a lot more but I do know people who seem to benefit more from the group approach it's just a smaller number. Also, and this will probably get a few people pissy but be weary or NA/NA meetings and groups as well. These groups are almost cult like in the way they do things and in the way that they want you to do things. NA/AA becomes an addiction in itself for some people. Just some friendly advice from someone who has been down that road. No matter what you or your friend or family member chooses though ... Good luck. I don't know you but I mean that. Addictions a really shitty disease to try to overcome but it can be done. Biggest thing you have to learn is that you can eventually get through it and that relapse is a part of recovery so don't give up.

Since: Jul 12

Van Wert, OH

#4 Jan 12, 2013
Gettin Sober wrote:
Does anyone know contact info for this man? I'm not even sure if he is a pastor or not, but has something to do with the church. I believe he has group meetings for people with addictions who would like help. I would be very greatful for any info. Thank you!
Here's a good starting point for him. If he's ready to be done with his addiction, he can easily find people who understand him and can be of help.

http://meetings.intherooms.com/meetings/searc...
Mistakes

Delphos, OH

#5 Jan 12, 2013
Thank you, I know your Dad by the way, nice guy. Well they are not around here at the moment, but when they do come back im trying to get after care set up, as requested. The guy i'm talking about used to be an addict himself. We were given a flyer this summer and at that time it was not followed through with. The flyer had all the contact info and everything on it, but I can not remember any of it at this time.The help is very much wanted this time, so hoping someone can find out who this guy is. So, I can get things set up. Thank you for taking your time out to help! By the way, NA is the one thing out of all the help they are getting, that they like.It's not around here though.

Van Wert, OH

#6 Jan 12, 2013
Mistakes wrote:
Thank you, I know your Dad by the way, nice guy. Well they are not around here at the moment, but when they do come back im trying to get after care set up, as requested. The guy i'm talking about used to be an addict himself. We were given a flyer this summer and at that time it was not followed through with. The flyer had all the contact info and everything on it, but I can not remember any of it at this time.The help is very much wanted this time, so hoping someone can find out who this guy is. So, I can get things set up. Thank you for taking your time out to help! By the way, NA is the one thing out of all the help they are getting, that they like.It's not around here though.
There is no such thing as a 'used to be an addict', nor is there such a thing as a social junkie. Addiction is a sickness of mind and body and needs maintenance and a good deal of introspection and real change to avert a relapse. He is the one responsible for his own recovery, or lack thereof. He really needs to be doing the footwork.

“..EXPECT US..”

LULZ, OHIO

#7 Jan 12, 2013
No problem. And if the person likes NA then I def. wouldn't say it's a bad thing for him/her. You just gotta be really careful with the groups core beliefs. Some take it far too literally and start sounding like robots. They replace one addiction with another. I also thought of another thing ... I think I may actually remember hearing about this guy through a referral from my old family doctor. Try calling The Family Caring Clinic and asking to talk to Dr. Tom Lautzenhiser (I know I spelled that wrong). He referred me to a guy once who sounds really similar to the person you're trying to figure out who is.

As for what Joe said, I agree with some of it. Addiction is a disease. Anyone who tries to say its a choice not a disease is clearly not educated in the subject. Yes, it's always a choice to pick up and use but nobody ever thinks they're going to become an addict. Some people can experiment with Heroin and then put it down and walk away. Some people can have a few beers or get hammered on the weekend and that's it. Others aren't able to do that. Some people, like myself, have a predisposition to addiction. It's a disease and even though I'm clean now, it's something I will always struggle with. There's all sorts of things I can't do now but there's a lot more that I can do since becoming clean.

Lastly, I don't agree with the idea that the addict should be doing ALL the footwork. Sure, he/she should be doing some but at the same time he/she shouldn't have to deal with the whole load. If it were not for the help of some close family members and friends I never would have been able to get to rehab and better myself. I lacked the motivation but once it was set in front of me I took it because help is what I really wanted. I'm a rarer case I think though because all I did was go to a week long detox at St.Ritas in Lima which was the longest Medicaid would pay for at that hospital at the time. I never followed up and went to Westwood or any other classes or meetings like I was planning to and yet I was still successful. I'm NOT saying that works for everyone because it doesn't. Just don't feel bad for helping or even for doing most of the work when setting up appointments and meetings etc. sometimes that's exactly what an addict needs.

“you like it, you like it a lot”

Since: May 12

screw you

#8 Jan 12, 2013
pastor watsons of pentecostal way or something...some church rehab thingie in chicago. hope that helps lol.

Van Wert, OH

#9 Jan 12, 2013
JustLookWhoItIs wrote:
Lastly, I don't agree with the idea that the addict should be doing ALL the footwork. Sure, he/she should be doing some but at the same time he/she shouldn't have to deal with the whole load.
When you depend on other people to stay clean, eventually, they will fail you and you'll have someone other than yourself to blame. If you're not working to change the things that encouraged your using in the first place, relapse is inevitable. Based on the old thread that popped up and relapsed_325's comments, I am concerned that you're setting yourself up for failure, simply because the behavior hasn't changed in the least in 6 months.

“..EXPECT US..”

LULZ, OHIO

#10 Jan 12, 2013
Joe Jared wrote:
<quoted text>
When you depend on other people to stay clean, eventually, they will fail you and you'll have someone other than yourself to blame. If you're not working to change the things that encouraged your using in the first place, relapse is inevitable. Based on the old thread that popped up and relapsed_325's comments, I am concerned that you're setting yourself up for failure, simply because the behavior hasn't changed in the least in 6 months.
I'm not saying to totally depend on someone else to keep you sober. I'm saying that for me at least it helped to have people who were willing to drive me back and forth and to call around and check out different rehabs/detoxes, make appointments, etc. I lacked any and all motivation to do any of those things during that time in my life. My family and friends made it easier for me to just go and get it done with than to just put it on the back burner and continue using.

Also, I'm trying to figure out which old thread you're talking about because I'm not seeing anything. I tried looking so I could answer better but I just didn't see anything. Which one are you talking about? Either way though, what you read on Topix about me and how I am outside of this website are typically two totally different things.
Mistakes

Delphos, OH

#11 Jan 13, 2013
Just to make it clear. This pearon is in rehab. Not court ordered and not in trouble with the court at all. They checked their self in. They would like me to have things set up so as soon as they get out they can resume their recovery without stressing out or waiting a month to start it. Very wise if you ask me. I'm very encouraged by this. Some people get out and are not interested in the follow up. They have no idea where to start. It will be much easier for them, when they come back to the real world to have the info at hand.
Mistakes

Delphos, OH

#12 Jan 13, 2013
I know once an addict you will always struggle with it.It was just bad wording. I'm here for help, not trying to be rude, but also not here to be nit picked. I'v gone through hell with this,for almost a year now.I know from personal experiance what it's like to be around a good person, turned addict. It tears your world apart.I thank you both very much for your time and help.
Mistakes

Delphos, OH

#13 Jan 13, 2013
The guy im looking for is in Van Wert..but thanks the awesome hey.Someone has to know who this is....
Johnny

Marysville, OH

#14 Jan 13, 2013
Is there any topic that you are not an expert on? You really are dumb. Just what is a cult you idiot or do you even know?
Why don't you just go out and stay to 3 a.m. again or stay permanently.
JustLookWhoItIs wrote:
Never heard of anyone like that but if you don't find the answer on here then I'd say call Westwood and ask them. They usually have contacts for people like that. Also, be wary of local group meetings. The bad thing with those is that it's a small town and people talk. Also a lot just go to them because of court orders or to score/find a new hookup. I've always found that one on one therapy helps a lot more but I do know people who seem to benefit more from the group approach it's just a smaller number. Also, and this will probably get a few people pissy but be weary or NA/NA meetings and groups as well. These groups are almost cult like in the way they do things and in the way that they want you to do things. NA/AA becomes an addiction in itself for some people. Just some friendly advice from someone who has been down that road. No matter what you or your friend or family member chooses though ... Good luck. I don't know you but I mean that. Addictions a really shitty disease to try to overcome but it can be done. Biggest thing you have to learn is that you can eventually get through it and that relapse is a part of recovery so don't give up.
dickydo

Lima, OH

#16 Jan 13, 2013
Enegene white runs a n/a a/a group in van wert. They meet in the church on south franklin and crawford. I am surprized johnny didn't know that. Wait maybe he isn't as smart as he would like you to believe.
VW Viewer

Sherwood, OH

#17 Jan 13, 2013
Personally, I don't see addiction as a disease, I see it as a weakness, a defect in the emotional/psychological makeup. Caused by the lack of coping skills which strong people have. The root cause of this lack is wrongheaded education (schools teaching empowerment and self esteem rather than life/work skills) and lack of (or misdirected) correction and direction in the home as a child.

It may be wrong to say there is no cure. Teaching appropriate coping skills is the key, but it's tough to do for an adult.

Too big a subject to cover here. I hope your loved one finds the way to sobriety.
da da

Oelwein, IA

#18 Jan 13, 2013
Pastor Jim Burns of Liberty Baptist Church would be a contact. They have an addiction program.

Van Wert, OH

#20 Jan 13, 2013
JustLookWhoItIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying to totally depend on someone else to keep you sober. I'm saying that for me at least it helped to have people who were willing to drive me back and forth and to call around and check out different rehabs/detoxes, make appointments, etc. I lacked any and all motivation to do any of those things during that time in my life. My family and friends made it easier for me to just go and get it done with than to just put it on the back burner and continue using.
Based on your primary drug of choice, St. Ritas would have been the most logical choice, which I think you referenced once. In the past few years, I've driven a couple people there, one of which was sent to prison for a dui and the injuries as a result of drunk driving a couple years back. He was about 7 years sober when he drank again. We have tried to help people in the past couple years and are considerably more careful now that we have a baby. The last person barely lasted 2 days, making the bathroom and the room we lent to her smell like piss. Eventually as we were cleaning her stuff out, we found a receipt from Walmart for spray paint.

The thread I was referring to was you challenging someone to meet you in a public place. Based on current threads, I see that as current and not old behavior. If the behavior doesn't change and no personal growth is notable, odds are, the addict is only on a break, generally speaking. As far as motivation goes, I have to wonder even now if you're motivated. While I don't see Marijuana as being in the same class with Heroin or Alcohol, it could easily leave you mentally defenseless against that next needle. At best, it's risky to pick and choose what you'll abstain from.

About 10 years and 10 days ago, I started drinking again and that drink lasted about 6 months, like the time before that. The period of abstinence (15 months) before that didn't include any sort of program and in the end, I paid the price for that. All it took was one simple thought that maybe I could drink again, and without any form of place to echo that insane thought, it became believable.
Mistakes

Delphos, OH

#22 Jan 13, 2013
Thank you Dickydo and da da. VW viewer, I do agree with you on the coping skills. There are some many people that have no idea how to cope with things in life, that they turn to drugs to cope. There are things that happen in peoples lives that are tragic and they do not get the help they need, so they turn to drugs. One one the things I said was they need to learn coping skills. I'm hoping this is achived in rehab. They seem very excited to be sober. So, I will do whatever I can on this end to get as much set up for them that I'm able too.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.Thank you.
topitoff

Loveland, OH

#23 Jan 13, 2013
da da wrote:
Pastor Jim Burns of Liberty Baptist Church would be a contact. They have an addiction program.
That's right. There is a guy buy the name of Denny Dull that is the teacher or leader of the program there. He is a recovering addict. I know him personally he's a really awesome person to talk to.
Mistakes

Delphos, OH

#24 Jan 13, 2013
I thought they closed down. Where did they move to? Used to go to that chursh years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amber Baker 2 hr xyz 2
does kayla wells still get around? 3 hr that guy 8
Where is Joe Jared's Daughter? 4 hr Pope Rush says 37
question for the atheist 4 hr wiser dude 403
Man in the ladies room 11 hr Pope Rush Says 74
Woman want to be a part of this religion 16 hr bbb 6
Truly D'vine Sat observer 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Van Wert Mortgages