Pick n Save Closing
Pick n Save Closing

United States

#21 Jun 28, 2013
right wrote:
If their food is so great, why not enough bussiness ti stay a float? Over priced and nasty food products with that said.it's not just them people in vw pay premiun prices for crap products and food.
By and large, people care more about their cars than they do themselves. That's why Van Wert has such a large recreational eating scene. Health conscious label reading shoppers would consider the Nash Finch brand over anything else available locally.
Silver lining

Dublin, OH

#22 Jun 28, 2013
Joe Jared wrote:
That was the second surprising business closure I heard of yesterday. The other one was one of my largest vendors. For the latter, I already designed a replacement, but am hoping to encourage them to actually move to Van Wert, instead of closing.
Maybe they can move into the old pick n save building
bubbles

Saint Marys, OH

#23 Jun 28, 2013
probably another victim of the poor economy and new healthcare laws. both of them thanks to the joke we call potus

Since: Jul 12

Van Wert, OH

#24 Jun 28, 2013
Silver lining wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they can move into the old pick n save building
It's big enough, that's for sure. The key element of their company is their control systems though. In terms of actual manufacturing of machines, the sr4848 is one that anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together and a garage, can use it to build another machine with. Its own programs for manufacturing itself will be available to each of my clients, needing only raw materials to work with. What they need could easily fit into multiple vacant buildings.

I also agree, "affordable healthcare" is making big trouble for businesses everywhere. It's really just another series of taxes. There is a way through it, however.
The Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Jun 28, 2013
The prices on name brand items is among the best in town. This includes Walmart. Ever try shopping Walmart without price matching?

They had the absolute best meat anywhere in town. Ever read the ingredient label on a steak at Walmart? Why is there an ingredient label on a steak?
The people of this town will miss Pick 'n Save. They won't realize it at first but as the months go on and they try to buy quality products for their holiday celebration...it is then that they will miss them. Car shows, cookouts and not to mention all that they have done for the community. Hopefully another company will be just as generour with their time and money as they are.

Good luck to the employees of this store. They are great people.
great post

United States

#26 Jun 28, 2013
The Truth wrote:
The prices on name brand items is among the best in town. This includes Walmart. Ever try shopping Walmart without price matching?
They had the absolute best meat anywhere in town. Ever read the ingredient label on a steak at Walmart? Why is there an ingredient label on a steak?
The people of this town will miss Pick 'n Save. They won't realize it at first but as the months go on and they try to buy quality products for their holiday celebration...it is then that they will miss them. Car shows, cookouts and not to mention all that they have done for the community. Hopefully another company will be just as generour with their time and money as they are.
Good luck to the employees of this store. They are great people.
agreed and thank you for verbalizing it so well.
shopper

United States

#27 Jun 28, 2013
the employees of P & S are the best, they are helpful, friendly, polite and professional

I really do not like shopping the other markets because it seemed like every time I shopped outside the Pick 'n Save box, the employees were ill trained, rude, and down right mean

we are already planning shopping trips to Meijer in Lima, sad
dog the bounty hunter

Fredericktown, OH

#28 Jun 28, 2013
I work for Nash finch in Lima and I haven't heard a thing.
bubbles

Saint Marys, OH

#29 Jun 28, 2013
We will be closed at the end of July. I work there and was told. Thank you for the kind words from the majority of you. And BTW...it does have a lot to do with the new insurance coverage due to obama's affordable care act. Yeah right....real affordable for me, huh? Now Im out a job that I have been at for many years.
Joe is right again

Columbus, OH

#30 Jun 28, 2013
Joe Jared wrote:
<quoted text>
It's big enough, that's for sure. The key element of their company is their control systems though. In terms of actual manufacturing of machines, the sr4848 is one that anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together and a garage, can use it to build another machine with. Its own programs for manufacturing itself will be available to each of my clients, needing only raw materials to work with. What they need could easily fit into multiple vacant buildings.
I also agree, "affordable healthcare" is making big trouble for businesses everywhere. It's really just another series of taxes. There is a way through it, however.
I agree with Joe, the good ol' SR4848 is my main go-to machine when I want to rub my two brain cells together. It is like R.U.D.I.(Referential Universal Digital Indexer) on the Jetson's. All I do is say "Monkee" (I call mine Monkee), I say "Monkee, make a Durma Laser CNC Table....and then I go to lunch. I come back and "poof", there it is. I was going to ask it to make Paula Deen a new career, but I heard that Oprah is going to hire her and Dennis Rodman for a new cooking show. I think it will be called "Buckwheat Cracker's".

Van Wert, OH

#31 Jun 28, 2013
I've actually worked with industrial lasers. They're just a bit on the overkill side when it comes to manufacturing systems. Now, about that bruised male ego of yours...
VW Viewer

Snover, MI

#32 Jun 28, 2013
Joe is right again wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with Joe, the good ol' SR4848 is my main go-to machine when I want to rub my two brain cells together. It is like R.U.D.I.(Referential Universal Digital Indexer) on the Jetson's. All I do is say "Monkee" (I call mine Monkee), I say "Monkee, make a Durma Laser CNC Table....and then I go to lunch. I come back and "poof", there it is. I was going to ask it to make Paula Deen a new career, but I heard that Oprah is going to hire her and Dennis Rodman for a new cooking show. I think it will be called "Buckwheat Cracker's".
Sounds fine, but shouldn't they also have someone to add a little masculine touch? After all, Paula is probably more manly than DR!
Another Van Wert Viewer

Lima, OH

#33 Jun 28, 2013
Well, can we say thank you, Obama? I did not vote for the guy the first time and I sure as heck didn't vote for him the second time. Hate to say it folks but this is just the beginning.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#34 Jun 28, 2013
If in fact its closing it's honestly not surprising. Outside of Wal-Mart for anything but meat, Marsh is our store of choice locally for meat. NOBODY can compete price wise with Wal-Mart not even Marsh when it comes to non perishables but we prefer the Meat that Marsh sells. Ruler foods will be lucky to last a year imo. Van Wert is over populated with grocers.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#35 Jun 28, 2013
Nobody should shop at Walmart. Sucks that Pick-N-Save is closing but that's just the way of Van Wert. Dying little by little.
Thank You PickNsave

Centerburg, OH

#36 Jun 28, 2013
I read the above post that talked about the stores involvement in Van Wert. Those are the things that make a difference. I am guessing that there about 50 people working there. I know several of them. I remember when GKN and Teleflex left. We watched them leave and those jobs were gone forever. Have we done all we can as a community to try and keep this store here? Has the mayor or commissioners reached out to the corporate people? Sometimes decisions aren't as concrete as they sound. We will miss this store and the support it provides. We will miss the income tax and the sales tax it generates!
observer

Ottawa, OH

#37 Jun 28, 2013
I like Pick n Save...but with the economy wondered how long it could deal with Wally's, Mainstreet, Save a lot, and Ruler foods. I like certain items I can get there but not anywhere else in town. I like the employees there also! Well most of them!
idiots

Sunbury, OH

#38 Jun 29, 2013
IAMARedditor wrote:
Nobody should shop at Walmart. Sucks that Pick-N-Save is closing but that's just the way of Van Wert. Dying little by little.
You don't want anybody shopping at Wal-Mart because they caught you stealing from them. You are a typical felon.

Van Wert, OH

#39 Jun 29, 2013
Sure, just attack the messenger. Ignore the facts of companies like Walmart. Keep shopping, no thinking, thinking is boring. Keep buying your flags, "Assembled in America" (made in China), your toasters (made in china), clothing,(made in Thailand) and keep wondering why you can't find a job that means something.
Joe is sexist

Columbus, OH

#40 Jun 29, 2013
Joe Jared wrote:
I've actually worked with industrial lasers. They're just a bit on the overkill side when it comes to manufacturing systems. Now, about that bruised male ego of yours...
Joe, who said the writer was male? Don't you think women have the mental capacity to post on this forum?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corey Evans 13 min Schoolin 49
Modern Christian views on sin 1 hr P0PE Rush Says 86
He will be gone 1 hr P0PE Rush Says 2
Tom Riggendumb 1 hr The one 4
Auctions being held at the fairground 2 hr manager 13
New Business in downtown 3 hr whack 11
trucks on the right road 6 hr Reliable Trailer ... 4

Van Wert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance