no sense

San Jose, CA

#1 Oct 4, 2012
So, I watched an episode of Chopped on TV tonight.
It was about lunch ladies feeding school kids. Now, I agree that all kids should be fed.
But....back in my day there was no free breakfast or lunch at school. Parents fed their children. We didn't have cell phones or cable TV or the internet, but we were able to eat at home.
When did it happen that the state feeds our children?
Please.....if you can't feed your kids, then just don't have them.
Mrs Tucker

Delphos, OH

#2 Oct 5, 2012
Well....sometimes it's not that easy.
And how old are you that they didn't give free breakfasts at school? I'm an oldie & they did when I went.
obvious

Mansfield, OH

#3 Oct 5, 2012
People don't feed their kids because they don't have to. Their money goes for the esentials like cigeretts, tats & the bars. Why should they spend money on food for THEIR KIDS WHEN THEY CAN GET IT FOR FREE. Come on man, dont you know your a terrible person for pointing this out.
HelpTheChildren

Fort Jennings, OH

#4 Oct 5, 2012
You people do realize that there are people out there that need help with both parents working? What the hell is your problem that you would bitch about someone getting help feeding their kids. There is a reason the system is out there. Granted there are people that abuse it, HOWEVER, there are also people that need it. Ya'll wanna bust people's balls for getting help for their families and think the ones that need it are all druggies and have no jobs. I work, pay taxes, I pay my bills, go to school and my husband works and we still need some help with things. Economy sucks everyone struggles get over yourself. I don't smoke I don't go to bars and haven't had a tat in years. Mrs. Tucker is correct I don't know how old she is but I'm almost 40yrs old and there has always been the option of free or reduced lunches. Why not discuss how clueless and selfish you really are instead of bitching about people helping kids. Just remember it like this; You are not feeding an adult you are feeding a child don't blame the child for what the parents do or can't do for their family.
steve

Mansfield, OH

#5 Oct 5, 2012
Why not supper too? When did it become the schools job to feed people? What do these kids do in the summer? Is packing a lunch not an option? Why do you quit feeding them when they no longer go to school? Wont they still be hungry? More people take advantage of these programs than you want to admit and that truly hurts the familys that I have no problem helping.I know this for a fact, if your giving it away for free, people will take it. After a while, they will think you owe it to them. Do you ever wonder how many of the kids who recieve free lunches parents recieved them when they were in school? Its a cycle, sorry to burst your buble.
Blahblah

United States

#6 Oct 5, 2012
You have to apply for free or reduced lunch and be under a certain poverty level to receive it. It's not like they are just handing it out. What do you mean "the schools job to feed them"? You actually think a hot meal shouldn't be allowed?
I guess if you're old enough to remember when there was no free lunch then you should also be old enough to remember kids that went hungry. That's what used to happen and teachers and administrators realized it was effecting their ability to concentrate and learn.
In the summer kids can go to programs like the one they have here at the YWCA. It's paid for by donations, yes even donations by the parents who take their kids there. Thank God for programs like that! No child should have to go hungry while we live in a world with such excess.
rebel

Lima, OH

#7 Oct 5, 2012
steve wrote:
Why not supper too? When did it become the schools job to feed people? What do these kids do in the summer? Is packing a lunch not an option? Why do you quit feeding them when they no longer go to school? Wont they still be hungry? More people take advantage of these programs than you want to admit and that truly hurts the familys that I have no problem helping.I know this for a fact, if your giving it away for free, people will take it. After a while, they will think you owe it to them. Do you ever wonder how many of the kids who recieve free lunches parents recieved them when they were in school? Its a cycle, sorry to burst your buble.
that is where programs like the united way the ywca summer program,toys for tots ,angel tree are there to fill in the gaps.not everyone lives on easy street.as an earlier post stated people work and still cannot make ends meet it is not their fault in this economy,nor should the child go without.i give to toys for tots every year because i cannot bear the thought of a child waking up on christmas morning with no gifts.it is all about the kids man not their parents inability to give them the necessities.did you ever do anything to feel good inside then help don't be a whiner your part of the problem .
Kyle

Mansfield, OH

#8 Oct 5, 2012
Thank god for the YWCA. I agree that no child should go hungry but I also believe that a childs biggest rolemodle are their parents. I AM 100% for hand ups, not so much for hand outs.
bmd

Lima, OH

#9 Oct 5, 2012
i don't have no problem with kids getting free lunchs at school. Atleast i KNOW they are getting a meal a day. Now on the other hand....People getting all these food stamps and selling them, taken food from thier kids mouth, i strongly disagree with that.
steve

Mansfield, OH

#10 Oct 5, 2012
Thats the problem bdm, these programs are started for a good reason but it dosen't take long for the scammers of the world to figure out how to abuse the system. Unfortunatly, this hurts the ones that truly need the help.
bluewater

Plymouth, MI

#11 Oct 5, 2012
Some people are oblivious to what happens around them. These kids may only be getting 1 square meal a day. Thats why for yrs. The v.w.h.s. senior projects have been blessings in a backpack. Friday the kids in need get 1 filled so they have stuff for the weekend. Bring it back next week and they fill it. Careing should be part of soceity not hatred.
Kyle

Mansfield, OH

#12 Oct 5, 2012
I agree that caring for the welfare of children is a good thing but it is the responsability of the parent to provide for their child. Everyone may fall on hard times and need assistance at one point in their lives but to become dependant on others to feed your children is not a good thing. Kids learn from their parents and like someone said it becomes a cycle that is hard to reverse.
obvious

Mansfield, OH

#13 Oct 5, 2012
How can someone qualify for the free lunch or a reduced lunch that really should not? Number one, don't get married. Even if both parents are living together you only list the parent that makes the least amount of money as the primary parent. If you are divorsed you only list the parent that makes the least amount of money as the primary parent. If you truly are a single parent and work in an industry where a large amount of your income is tips (hair stylist,waitress) you don't include your tip money on your application to the school. These are only a few examples of how to scam the system but Im not telling anything new to the ones who are already doing this. You have to give them credit, they are not stupid people, just taking what is given.
Simple

Lima, OH

#14 Oct 5, 2012
Obviously you are a pro on ripping off the system? Did you write the book "Welfare fraud for dummies" ?
obvious

Mansfield, OH

#15 Oct 5, 2012
Sorry Simple if I gave away a few of your secretes. How does that saying go? Theres a sucker born every minute.......... Who knows, maybe Im wrong and people would never take advantage of the system. LOL
common sense

Mansfield, OH

#16 Oct 5, 2012
There is a big difference in not being able to feed your kids and not wanting to pay to feed your kids.
Zippy

United States

#17 Oct 5, 2012
common sense wrote:
There is a big difference in not being able to feed your kids and not wanting to pay to feed your kids.
Excellent comment.

I'd also like to point out that if you are getting free lunch your kid can only go through one line, the regular line not the ones that have pizza almost daily or the other options. By the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade a lot of them go off of the free lunch program because they want to eat the other options and it's embarrassing to them. Aren't some of those kids picked on enough already? Now grown adults are on mine talking about how they shouldn't get fed. Like its their fault!
Azazel

Lima, OH

#18 Oct 5, 2012
Zippy wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent comment.
I'd also like to point out that if you are getting free lunch your kid can only go through one line, the regular line not the ones that have pizza almost daily or the other options. By the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade a lot of them go off of the free lunch program because they want to eat the other options and it's embarrassing to them. Aren't some of those kids picked on enough already? Now grown adults are on mine talking about how they shouldn't get fed. Like its their fault!
Again, that's our "good, Christian VW citizens" talking.
They don't believe in giving handouts to anyone, unless it's a wealthy farmer, or a greedy criminal with the right last name.
Typical self absorbed, holier than thou, small town d-baggery...
no sense

San Jose, CA

#19 Oct 5, 2012
Azazel wrote:
<quoted text>Again, that's our "good, Christian VW citizens" talking.
They don't believe in giving handouts to anyone, unless it's a wealthy farmer, or a greedy criminal with the right last name.
Typical self absorbed, holier than thou, small town d-baggery...
Well, I see you have a pre-conceived notion about me and I know you won't change it, but....
If you read my original post, I said that all kids need to be fed. I don't want any child to be hungry. I just wish that parents would take responsibility for the lives they bring into the world. I know that sometimes people need a little help, but in general I wish people took more responsibility for themselves.
just me

Paulding, OH

#20 Oct 8, 2012
no sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I see you have a pre-conceived notion about me and I know you won't change it, but....
If you read my original post, I said that all kids need to be fed. I don't want any child to be hungry. I just wish that parents would take responsibility for the lives they bring into the world. I know that sometimes people need a little help, but in general I wish people took more responsibility for themselves.
Sorry, but no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Weinstein Connection 3 min Bud 19
Meth In VW 9 min Bud 5
Some will never learn 16 min Conservative voter 11
Glowing tombstone 2 hr NotaMugger Really 6
Industrial Drive 2 hr Conservative voter 20
It's your money 5 hr Bud 37
You might be in Van Wert if... 5 hr Bud 50

Van Wert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance