a 3 million dollar pool

Posted in the Van Wert Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
oh my gosh

Marysville, OH

#1 Jan 30, 2013
Does Van Wert really need a $3,000,000.00 pool that will be used for only 3 months out of the year by a few people and will take 25 years to pay for?

How many of you would go out and by a bath tub or outdoor pool and take 25 years to pay for it and don't forget the interest that will have to be paid.

The interest at 5% a year on $2,000,000.00 is $140,000 a year which will need to be added to the total cost of a water park. An that doesn't even count the cost over runs that always occur on government projects.

It seems like all this city council and the mayor know is to tax and spend. Haven't they heard the economy is in a tough environment?

Below is a news article on the matter.

Van Wert city officials have had a change of heart after a proposal to use excess money from a city aquatic center tax issue on other parks projects came under fire at Monday’s City Council meeting.
Mayor Don Farmer said Tuesday that, while he feels having additional money for other parks projects would have been a good thing, backers of the aquatics center project didn’t want it to threaten passage of a 1.2-mill, 25-year tax levy being placed on the May ballot to fund that project.
“The group does not want to do anything to jeopardize an affirmative vote,” the mayor noted on Tuesday.“We don’t want anything out there that gives anyone a reason to vote ‘no.’”
Much effort has already been put into the aquatics center plan, with supporters of the complex coming up with donation pledges of $1.2 million that would be placed into a maintenance/capital improvements fund for the proposed center if the levy is approved.
New ballot language for the property tax levy now limits use of any money raised by the levy to the aquatics center project only, the mayor noted on Tuesday. At this point, the project cost is estimated at $2.7 million, but could cost as little as $2.4 million or as much as $3 million, Mayor Farmer noted during Monday’s City Council meeting.
“We want the public to know that what they are voting on is strictly for construction and equipping an aquatic center. Period,” the mayor said.
While City Council unanimously approved placing the levy on the May ballot during Monday’s meeting, ballot language that would allow any money left over after construction of the project to be used for other parks projects was criticized by local resident Jerry Mazur.
Mazur, who likened the ballot language to a “pork” provision in state or federal legislation, said he felt it would send a negative message to city voters.
“I think the voters are voting for a swimming complex,” Mazur said.“Why would you need this pork?”
City Auditor Martha Balyeat agreed with Mazur.“My personal feeling is, if you’re asking for money to build a swimming pool, if there is any excess, the excess should be used only for the swimming pool,” she said.
On Tuesday, Mayor Farmer, while noting there probably won’t be any money left anyway after construction of an aquatics center, added that, while he feels city residents support their parks system and would approve using the money to keep parks maintained, the chance that the old ballot language would spark opposition to the project outweighed any possible benefits.
im in

Lima, OH

#2 Jan 30, 2013
Yes i think it is going to be fun . Cant wait!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#3 Jan 30, 2013
oh my gosh wrote:
Does Van Wert really need a $3,000,000.00 pool that will be used for only 3 months out of the year by a few people and will take 25 years to pay for?
How many of you would go out and by a bath tub or outdoor pool and take 25 years to pay for it and don't forget the interest that will have to be paid.
The interest at 5% a year on $2,000,000.00 is $140,000 a year which will need to be added to the total cost of a water park. An that doesn't even count the cost over runs that always occur on government projects.
It seems like all this city council and the mayor know is to tax and spend. Haven't they heard the economy is in a tough environment?
Below is a news article on the matter.
Van Wert city officials have had a change of heart after a proposal to use excess money from a city aquatic center tax issue on other parks projects came under fire at Monday’s City Council meeting.
Mayor Don Farmer said Tuesday that, while he feels having additional money for other parks projects would have been a good thing, backers of the aquatics center project didn’t want it to threaten passage of a 1.2-mill, 25-year tax levy being placed on the May ballot to fund that project.
“The group does not want to do anything to jeopardize an affirmative vote,” the mayor noted on Tuesday.“We don’t want anything out there that gives anyone a reason to vote ‘no.’”
Much effort has already been put into the aquatics center plan, with supporters of the complex coming up with donation pledges of $1.2 million that would be placed into a maintenance/capital improvements fund for the proposed center if the levy is approved.
New ballot language for the property tax levy now limits use of any money raised by the levy to the aquatics center project only, the mayor noted on Tuesday. At this point, the project cost is estimated at $2.7 million, but could cost as little as $2.4 million or as much as $3 million, Mayor Farmer noted during Monday’s City Council meeting.
“We want the public to know that what they are voting on is strictly for construction and equipping an aquatic center. Period,” the mayor said.
While City Council unanimously approved placing the levy on the May ballot during Monday’s meeting, ballot language that would allow any money left over after construction of the project to be used for other parks projects was criticized by local resident Jerry Mazur.
Mazur, who likened the ballot language to a “pork” provision in state or federal legislation, said he felt it would send a negative message to city voters.
“I think the voters are voting for a swimming complex,” Mazur said.“Why would you need this pork?”
City Auditor Martha Balyeat agreed with Mazur.“My personal feeling is, if you’re asking for money to build a swimming pool, if there is any excess, the excess should be used only for the swimming pool,” she said.
On Tuesday, Mayor Farmer, while noting there probably won’t be any money left anyway after construction of an aquatics center, added that, while he feels city residents support their parks system and would approve using the money to keep parks maintained, the chance that the old ballot language would spark opposition to the project outweighed any possible benefits.
Why is it that the "grouip" that's pushing this issue chooses to remain nameless? Why is it that all we know about their fund-raising is that they've gotten committments of $1.2 million. And what happens if they don't raise the $2.5 million that they're aiming for? Too many questions and no anwsers. I'm begining to think the the citizens need to form a committee to formally oppose this.
perfect

United States

#4 Jan 30, 2013
Why build another pool? They didn't take care of the other one. Instead of repairing it, they spent money on a slide.
mark spitz

Lima, OH

#5 Jan 30, 2013
pay for it by selling pool memberships to the people who will use it. why should folks who do not swim have to fund this?
boo

Deshler, OH

#6 Jan 30, 2013
Because we're passing a law that says you MUST learn how to swim.
everybody spitz

Deshler, OH

#7 Jan 30, 2013
That's how we're going to fill it up.
perfect

United States

#8 Jan 30, 2013
mark spitz wrote:
pay for it by selling pool memberships to the people who will use it. why should folks who do not swim have to fund this?
Probably the same reason we all have to pay for a school that most of us don't use.
yep yep

Johnstown, OH

#9 Jan 30, 2013
Can't wait to haul my 6 kids over from the trailer park and drop them off. So i can have a day to myself and go see my boyfriend while hubby at work. It's fun for the whole family except hubby he has to work overtime. Thanks van wert
commune

Highland, MI

#10 Jan 30, 2013
I get a real sense of community on here. You know, everybody banding together to provide assets and services for all that would otherwise be way beyond the reach of any individual. You could ask, why pay my insurance when others have claims and I don't? Why pay for the phone when I don't talk on it all the time? Why pay for gas and electric when other people are connected besides me? There was a time when Americans understood this. Anymore, no so much.
really

Marysville, OH

#11 Jan 30, 2013
If you want to go swimming pitch and give money to help pay for a water park. Why should I or anyone else help pay for your luxury. I already help pay for your food stamps. Give you something and you people never get enough. You want more and more and then you do not have any gratitude for taking my money.

You gotta be kidding.$3,000,000.00 for a water park? This sin't Dubai.
old people smell funny

Napoleon, OH

#12 Jan 30, 2013
really wrote:
If you want to go swimming pitch and give money to help pay for a water park. Why should I or anyone else help pay for your luxury. I already help pay for your food stamps. Give you something and you people never get enough. You want more and more and then you do not have any gratitude for taking my money.

You gotta be kidding.$3,000,000.00 for a water park? This sin't Dubai.
I already have a pool. It's not your 3 mill. It's not even gonna be your 300 bucks. Get real old man. Step up or step off. With visionaries like you, Neil Armstrong would have been a short order cook.
fat free

Mount Vernon, OH

#13 Jan 30, 2013
What I'm not in Dubai? R U kidding me? No wander I'm not having a good time. Well i have to go,I have a plane to catch!!!!!!!!!!
as in communism

United States

#14 Jan 30, 2013
commune wrote:
I get a real sense of community on here. You know, everybody banding together to provide assets and services for all that would otherwise be way beyond the reach of any individual. You could ask, why pay my insurance when others have claims and I don't? Why pay for the phone when I don't talk on it all the time? Why pay for gas and electric when other people are connected besides me? There was a time when Americans understood this. Anymore, no so much.
No one banded together to provide electric, gas, phones, these are private companies who provide a needed services, I pay them for what I use they don't take tax money from me for services and product that I don't consume. Actually, there was a time when Americans understood that the more money people get to keep for themselves, the more the economy grows, think about it.
wow

Herndon, VA

#15 Jan 30, 2013
here is my question. since the old pool is still on our taxes and it wasnt taken care of in the first place why the hell should we as taxes payers have to pay for a new pool to be put in and neglected?
Not so fast

Deshler, OH

#16 Jan 30, 2013
as in communism wrote:
<quoted text>No one banded together to provide electric, gas, phones, these are private companies who provide a needed services, I pay them for what I use they don't take tax money from me for services and product that I don't consume. Actually, there was a time when Americans understood that the more money people get to keep for themselves, the more the economy grows, think about it.
How young are you? Almost ALL electric was cooperative in small towns. Hence, the co-op. Back in the day, residents inside city limits were FORCED to connect to water and sewer. Still are in Van Wert. No wells or septic tanks allowed. That's the only way it can work financially -- everyone paying a small amount. No choice, just like the government health care program called ObamaCare -- If you didn't want to have to connect -- you'd have to live outside the city. Here, water and sewer is still owned by the city -- not so everywhere. Akron, Ohio was trying to sell it's system to a private company.
Not so fast

Deshler, OH

#17 Jan 30, 2013
wow wrote:
here is my question. since the old pool is still on our taxes and it wasnt taken care of in the first place why the hell should we as taxes payers have to pay for a new pool to be put in and neglected?
Because you're just that kind of people. Fun to pimp!
huh

United States

#18 Jan 30, 2013
Not so fast wrote:
<quoted text>
How young are you? Almost ALL electric was cooperative in small towns. Hence, the co-op. Back in the day, residents inside city limits were FORCED to connect to water and sewer. Still are in Van Wert. No wells or septic tanks allowed. That's the only way it can work financially -- everyone paying a small amount. No choice, just like the government health care program called ObamaCare -- If you didn't want to have to connect -- you'd have to live outside the city. Here, water and sewer is still owned by the city -- not so everywhere. Akron, Ohio was trying to sell it's system to a private company.
I still only pay for what I use; ain't no way I'm gettin in a pool with the public!
wondering

Marysville, OH

#19 Jan 30, 2013
If they have to have an outdoor pool why don't they just go out to the YMCA camp?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#20 Jan 30, 2013
wondering wrote:
If they have to have an outdoor pool why don't they just go out to the YMCA camp?
Why is it that nobody has remembered that prior to the last vote for a pool, the Van Wert Parks District was approached by a private company that wanted to build a water park in VW. But they where turned away because it wasn't what the Parks Board wanted. Why would any community turn away private investment in order to put more taxes on the books?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennie and Crutch 3 hr truth fairy 1
Glowing tombstone 4 hr Billy 1
Snyone know anything about Cooper foods 4 hr Rita 3
Why is YMCA buying a golf course 7 hr Free money 26
It's your money 9 hr Buy bye 8
Spectrum 12 hr wheeler dealer 5
nfl protests Tue diks 31

Van Wert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance