First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1 Dec 17, 2012
Well, city council again tonight is considering approving an aquatic center that will be funded by.....you guessed it, another property tax levy.
They are hoping to put that levy on the ballot in May.
Let your council representatives that we don't need this in these economic times.
And if it comes up on the ballot in May, vote NO.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 17, 2012
haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, something that brings up the quality of life and may be attractive to an incoming company.
No company will bring jobs to Van Wert when Indiana is so close. IN is a much more employer-friendly state, look at their worker's comp rates and the fact that they are a right-to-work state. Ohio is not a state that employers want to come to.
Since it's that way, and our fine legislators in Columbus don't see fit to make it better, there's nothing that we in VW can do.
Stop increasing property taxes, maybe that will help.

Location hidden

#4 Dec 17, 2012
haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, something that brings up the quality of life and may be attractive to an incoming company.
And....see how the NPAC has brought new jobs to VW?
If the state of OH would become a more employer-friendly state, VW would be at the top of the list. We have it all.
Sadly, no employer wants to come to our state, due to things like the worker's comp rates and the fact that we are not a right-to-work state.
If our fine legislators in Columbus would for once think about the whole state and not just the NE union portion..... Van Wert might have a chance.

Since: Aug 12

Greenville, SC

#5 Dec 18, 2012
Van Werts got a big ass 4 lane highway, rail connection, big dumbass looking windmills you can claim are green friendly and all kinds of good shitt. Yall got a gas pipeline running thru nearby.

You got shit tons of open land adjacent to the big ass highway and the rails......... AIN'T NOBODY WANTIN TO MOVE THERE!

A dumbass pool ain't gonna mean jack shitt to a potential employer. Just a place junkies can hang out on the producer class dime.
Pave It

Bryant, IN

#6 Dec 18, 2012
How about we pave Woodland Ave. first.It has
to be the worst street in town.
Andy

Fort Jennings, OH

#7 Dec 18, 2012
Does anyone remember Cathy Hoffman and the Pac Center and new school. She told all dumbass Van Wert people that these two things would bring all kinds of new jobs here. The school would make students have so much pride that it would stop teen pregnancy. She got what she wanted and then left town. Maybe she could come back and convince the people a new water park would do the same thing. Lets build it next to the Pac Center and the building behind it. Oh, that is the new school.
GOFORIT

Mount Vernon, OH

#8 Dec 18, 2012
all I can say to the people in vw is good luck. you now have 60 plus million in schools, kids still going to crestview and lincolnview (who have a better state report card).oooh I fogot and around 9000 of you to pay for it all. my next hope is someone donates a private jet to the school for transporting students to away games. Remember the jet will be free you'll just have to pay the operating expenses. LOL !
Harvey

Fort Jennings, OH

#9 Dec 18, 2012
I just read the article in the Independence where Brandsetter who builds these aquatic centers was using Cincinatti as an example on why to build one in VW. This was a low income area. 1200 people used it on Labor Day compared to a pool that was free that only had 6 poeple. First of all, he is in the building business for a living. Second, would VW even have that many people around to use it for the whole summer? A large number of people go to the lake or somewhere to get away from VW. It would be a nice place to dump your kids off so parents wouldn't have to watch them. Compare Cincinatti with Van Wert, come on!! Van Wert is a rural comunity. There is wide open spaces. People around here know where milk comes from, they have seen cows. People in Cincinatti only know milk comes from a carton. They probably have never seen a cow. Then again, they are trying to feed the community a line of BULL! At tax payers expence again.
That is dumb

Sunbury, OH

#10 Dec 18, 2012
The government is not supposed to be in the business of running water parks. Their duties are to maintain the infrastructure, water, sewage, roads, etc.

The last water park that was built in Van Wert at taxpayerís expense was a bust; the government did a lousy job of taking care of it. The government didn't even make enough money to pay for repairs. That is how government always works.

If it were such a good idea to build a public water park, private enterprise would have done it by now.

The republican city council in Van Wert is just as bad as the tax and spend people in Washington.

How about doing us all a favor? Stop spending our hard earned money on wishful thinking and let us keep it. We are far more capable of taking care of our finances than is the city government.

The council should remember that they work for the people; the people do not work for them. They need to forget about having their own personal interests taken care of and forget about getting into my back account as well as others.

Have they ever stopped to figure out how much in debt they have put the people of Van Wert in? Building a water park, is that really in the best interest of all the people? Is that really the best way to spend the surplus money the city has taken from the people. Before long the surplus money in the funds will be gone and Ms. Balyeat will be claiming there isnít enough money in the treasury again; then they will want to raise taxes to an even higher level when they are already high enough. Stop taking food off of my childrenís plate!

I do hope the council takes their head out from where the sun does't shine and let it see the light.
rwb

Lima, OH

#11 Dec 18, 2012
NOPE! This is a tax on the city residents. What about the county residents?
Eyeroll

Mendon, OH

#12 Dec 18, 2012
It's not been "more than 2 decades" since the pool closed. It was last in operation in 2000. Ed Gebert doesn't know what he's talking about.

By the beginning of August in this area, people start forgetting about swimming and concentrate on getting ready to go back to school. By Labor Day, the fair is going on and kids are in school and busy with school activities and sometimes the weather has turned cold. They aren't swimming.

Based on the illustration, that's a lovely facility. The city and county didn't have the funds to employ enough staff or the right staff to keep the old pool from being trashed. What makes this any different? They can't keep Smiley Park from being destroyed.

Chuck Koch and the Van Wert elite want the taxpayers to fund this water park so the YMCA swim team can have a place for outdoor meets. This is an extension of the YMCA and will be treated as such. The general public will be paying for this and then treated like second class citizens when it comes to using it.

This is a crazy amount of money for something that will be used for 3 months out of the year.
Eyeroll

Mendon, OH

#13 Dec 18, 2012
rwb wrote:
They figured out the last time around that the county residents weren't interested in paying for the Van Wert CITY Parks Department ventures.
GOFORIT

West Mansfield, OH

#14 Dec 18, 2012
The city needs to stick to running the city. The last project Don Farmer pushed was the town center. Remember the words TIF ? Meaning tax dollars were waived. Now we're wanting to pass a property tax to build a pool? HUUMM ! Here's a news flash. Economic Development isn't found in RETAIL,SWIMMING POOLS or loaning money for another pizza place. If the city wants to be in the swimming pool biz maybe they should buy the bowling alley and local golf courses too. This is a joke. If the city wants a pool then sell about 3 fire trucks you'll still have 7 to cover your 2 square miles. Then you can pay for your pool.

Since: Aug 12

United States

#15 Dec 18, 2012
rwb wrote:
Go F yourself. The rural folks are busy WORKING in the summer time. Like milking cows so you douchebags in Van Wert and Cincinnati can drink it out of a carton you buy at Brookside! So why the hell would rural folks wanna pay for it?
bob the builder

Van Wert, OH

#16 Dec 18, 2012
its because of people like Udintbuildthat that the sheep in the rural areas are very nervous...lol
pool is a great idea and needs to be funded by county residents too if they want to use it.
GOFORIT

West Mansfield, OH

#17 Dec 18, 2012
Really Bob. Why ? I live in the county ? Have to pay city taxes but don't have city fire protection. That doesnt work both ways ? Why should this.
Eyeroll

Mendon, OH

#18 Dec 18, 2012
bob the builder wrote:
its because of people like Udintbuildthat that the sheep in the rural areas are very nervous...lol
pool is a great idea and needs to be funded by county residents too if they want to use it.
Does that mean that no one outside the taxpaying area can use the water park? They plan to bring in swim team meets from all over to use it. What about them? Should it be on their taxes also? And what about your cousins who come from out of town during the summer and want to go swimming? Should it be on their taxes also?

And don't say that they will pay to get in. Everyone will be paying an admission fee to use it, even those paying the taxes to fund it.
van wert is van wert

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Dec 18, 2012
Here we go more taxes. That will be great. I will be going to work so some drug user can lay there and get a tan.
idiots

Sunbury, OH

#20 Dec 18, 2012
UdintBuildThat wrote:
<quoted text>
Go F yourself. The rural folks are busy WORKING in the summer time. Like milking cows so you douchebags in Van Wert and Cincinnati can drink it out of a carton you buy at Brookside! So why the hell would rural folks wanna pay for it?
You have a garbage mouth. Why don't you fix things down in Georgia and keep your nose out of Van Wert?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#21 Dec 18, 2012
I have got alot of concerns with this proposal. First off, I don't believe that it's the responsibility of government to tax an already overtaxed citizen to entertain a small section of the population. I also don't believe that it's right to use tax dollars to compete with the private sector. In this case, we're talking about the YMCA, YWCA, Huggy Bear, Camp Clay and Timber Ridge. They had former YMCA director Larry Bowersocks at the meeting stating he didn't think it would hurt the Y's programs at Camp Clay. Problem is the Mr. Bowersocks is not in a position to speak for the YMCA. More troubling is, for those who don't remember, Mr. Bowersocks served as the campaign manager for Mayor Farmer's campaign. So I'm extremely suspicious of his opinion on this subject.

Let me move on to the financial plan involving the County Foundation. If they are successful at raising $2.5 millions dollars and having the Foundation invest it, what will be the rate of return on the money? The Foundation has a reputation for being very conservative in their investments so will they be getting more than 1%? And what kind of vigorish, or management fees, will the Foundation charge?

There's many more questions that need to be asked and answered before council put's this on the ballot. As it stands now, I will oppose the project because I don't believe it's wise tax policy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Wert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kyley Gardner 20 min AwwLawd 3
the Cable Guy meets Hillary 29 min Pope Rush says 1
She tells a fan to go to the back of the line 33 min Pope Rush says 1
Baking dogs 1 hr Pope Rush says 10
what happened to the hottie that worked at barb... (Jun '14) 2 hr Whoa 12
Southern Accent Really 2 hr Pope Rush Says 20
Liberal hypocrites in action 4 hr Pope Rush says 1
Shell Station aka Party Mart 16 hr JohnnyBravo419 17
no eaton bonus Mon Sick of it 20
More from around the web