current river rules
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Lily_G

United States

#286 May 2, 2010
Smart Ass wrote:
I was asking a question Howler can you answer it? I didn't think so as for you Lily G the otters were brought in by the conservation they made a mistake and now the fish population is suffering because otters kill fish for fun not only to eat. They are begging everyone who traps or trades furs to kill all the otters.
Twas a joke. Gators to get rid of tourists and otters; Why would anyone want to get rid of the OTTERS? Keep up.
Smart Ass

Ellington, MO

#287 May 2, 2010
I get it now I was out of it for a minute LOL!!
Gee whiz

Chagrin Falls, OH

#288 May 4, 2010
think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust what I am about to say. While you may be right that some would not survive without tourists, i.e. local business owners, the majority are experts at survival and have been for generations. Unlike our city neighbors who wouldn't know the first thing to do without electricity, fresh water, grocery stores, traffic signals, etc.
The cash you generate might provide a few luxuries that we survived without for many years, but in the long run, the damage caused to our natural resources and tranquility is far greater than any luxury we may have.
You may or may not realize that when the world as we know it caves in on itself, as it surely will someday, you just might need our survival skills for your own survival. With the direction it is heading, it may be sooner than you think.
You are deceiving yourself in your belief that we cannot make it without you. Our history has proven otherwise.
One of many examples is another topic on this site in which an individual asks about restrooms on the river. This, along with other numerous requested "luxuries" and idiotic behavior is why many of us love to have you around. It is rather entertaining and provides a great conversation piece. Oh, and I am not speaking about all of you, but...
Give me a break!!! Survivalist? Generations? YOu got to be kidding? If you weren't born before 1920 and lived so far out you never had neighbors then be quiet. Walk out of your house with nothing but the clothes on your back and live off the land for thirty days then thirty more then think about calling yourself a survivalist. You've been watching too much tv.
Smart Ass

Ellington, MO

#289 May 4, 2010
I could do it. I grow my own food in a garden and beef and pork and chickens I grow about 80% of what I eat so I'm pretty sure I could live off the land without having to be out in the woods is what they are talking about. But I do like my well water and electricity,phone and cell phone I have some of those luxuries but the tourist sure didn't give them to me.
greengirl

Ellington, MO

#290 May 4, 2010
I could do it too. Don't need the tourists to survive.
Gee Whiz

Chagrin Falls, OH

#291 May 5, 2010
If I made up the rules they would limit how many people could float the river at once. It's no different than a bar owner. In most cities only so many people can be in a building at one time. On the fourth of july there are thousands of tubers tossing cans in the water, pissing, shitting, doing drugs and even having sex (just ask a ranger) Put a limit on how many can be there. YOu would have to get a permit in advance to go. We have to have permits for everthing else. They can only let so many in Busch Stadium. How come they can't limit traffic? The weekends draw the big party floaters. Yeah I could go during the week when it is calmer but I am not off then. Limit traffic is the answer.
Kentucky Girls

Owensboro, KY

#292 Jun 14, 2010
This weekend was my first ever trip to current river. Very beautiful place and everyone there was really friendly. But I saw on news this morning a guy drowned yesterday.... Very sad
Tadpole

Detroit, MI

#293 Jun 15, 2010
It's that Joey Davis runnin loose on the river.
Kentucky Girls

Earlington, KY

#294 Jun 15, 2010
I've never heard the Joey Davis story until I found this topix forum yesterday morning. and thank goodness I haven't heard it before then bc me and 4 other girls had a girls weekend last weeknd we camped in a tent on the river near the landing tube rentals. Saturday night around 2 am I heard something and opened my eyes standing near the front of our tent was a mans shadow he just stood there for a second and left.... He never said anything or bothered us or any of our belongings... My friends never heard him so I waited until the next morning to tell them. They laughed it off saying it was creepy. I found this Joey Davis story now it's really creepy!
bedell

New Orleans, LA

#295 Jun 15, 2010
paid endorsment just worry about landing (airplanes)
Wilson Potts

Jefferson City, MO

#296 Apr 15, 2012
Dakota_Dawn wrote:
oh and as for campgrounds try Current River Camp Ground. It is located here in town. Owned by Mike May. Deer Run camp ground has gone way down hill. Yogi wants a family place. Last summer Jeff even tried putting his campers to bed at 10pm.
Current River Camp Ground is the best campground by far. Deer Run has people sneaking around after 10:00 and they will harass you until you go to bed.
Wilson Potts

Jefferson City, MO

#297 Apr 15, 2012
mandy wrote:
wow i've never heard the joey davis story before, and i worked there for 8 months, i did hear that someone was murdered there in one of the 400 rooms, said there was blood and litterlly guts all over the place but no body. i dont think anyone was pursecuted. but im glad i didnt work there then and have to clean THAT up!
They suspected Joey Davis of that but never found him.
ManfromKaintuck

Jefferson City, MO

#298 May 26, 2012
Kentucky Girls wrote:
I've never heard the Joey Davis story until I found this topix forum yesterday morning. and thank goodness I haven't heard it before then bc me and 4 other girls had a girls weekend last weeknd we camped in a tent on the river near the landing tube rentals. Saturday night around 2 am I heard something and opened my eyes standing near the front of our tent was a mans shadow he just stood there for a second and left.... He never said anything or bothered us or any of our belongings... My friends never heard him so I waited until the next morning to tell them. They laughed it off saying it was creepy. I found this Joey Davis story now it's really creepy!
It's a great place and the ghost stories make it that much more fun. It's a shame y'all couldn't have been there when we were up.
ManfromMIZZOU

Jefferson City, MO

#299 Jun 25, 2012
hOW IS THE RIVER LEVEL?
Jolly Cone

Jefferson City, MO

#300 Jun 26, 2012
This summer has been quiet as far as Little Joey Davis goes.
Git me a Beer

Jefferson City, MO

#301 Jul 18, 2012
We saw a ghost 2 weeks ago going down the river at Van Buren...maybe it was Joey Davis.
rules

Hollister, MO

#302 Sep 12, 2012
yep. the current river does rule
No Rules

Hollister, MO

#303 Sep 14, 2012
We don't need no stinking rules!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Buren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Medicaid recipients must work says Trump 27 min facts matter 25
Republicans CONTROL shutdown 43 min same bird differe... 4
Moving 47 min Aaron 3
This form 1 hr I Agree 2
Spring house Cafe 12 hr A ok 21
Brandon Allred (Jan '17) Tue MysteryMan 6
God Bless Van Buren Mo Courthouse Tue charles darwin 3

Van Buren Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance